FIFA 13

I am liking the demo as well.

For me it is subtle but there is just the feeling that the game is more fluid which is nice.

I am playing on slow and the pace of the game is good, I like to play it about a bit and it is bringing about good games.

Attacking runs seem good at the moment and I have had Diaby running from deep into space when he could get into a good attacking position, which was really good to see.

First touch is a great feature, it is subtle but I have noticed it a lot and with good technical players as well. Noticed players having difficulty bringing down balls on their chest (ooh err!) and heavy touches. It really makes the game seem a lot more lifelike and natural.

I am playing on World Class fully manual the AI seems good and I have had a couple of long shot goals scored against me and a couple of nice manouvres around the penalty area to create space for team mates.

Manual I'm not sure if it seems easier? maybe it does a little I suppose, not really sure.

It feels a bit more natural with the player runs and the first touch, which I think is a good upgrade.

Dissapointed that Cazorla isn't in the Arsenal team for the dema and that our two away kits are both blue which will be a pain in the tits on head to head online.

Overall nothing amazing but it is better and more enjoyable imo.

It's like in previous FIFA games. Not enough tight marking especially around the penalty box. But if this wasn't an issue for you in FIFA 12 then I don't think this will bother you.
I put some custom sliders on (Placebo's with a few mods for 6 minute halves) and I've been enjoying the game, apart from becoming really frustrated at the lack of intelligent teammate movement and the repeated runs of straight forward, straight diagonal. No running to areas with space, or predicting a cross etc. - just a very basic and crippling selection of runs, which you always have to instigate yourself.

Everything else I'm fine with (you can't have everything in a game and I honestly put that down to processing power, you have to focus on a selection of aspects, and the parts of FIFA that are good are the bits I like) - BUT, after playing PES 2013 demo 2 and seeing Rooney pegging it into the box looking for a cross with no input from me - which he then got onto the end of and scored - I've not had fun having to make the same passes over and over. Seeing players totally independently decide to move off into a hole, or moving backwards into intelligent, safe positions, has blown my mind and ruined my FIFA 12 career a bit.

If FIFA 13 is an end to that style of movement - or at least more variety in the runs - then amen.

Last edited:
I hope that's not true. More fouls were definitely needed in FIFA12. Gonna download and try 360 demo myself now.

Manual is the easiest it has ever been, but feels about the same as I remember FIFA 12 being. Remember these are the top players in the demo, so the amount of assist is increased by their attributes.

The defensive AI seems roughly the same as 12 too. I haven't noticed anything particularly dumb, aside from their usual passiveness.

I'm not experiencing many fouls. They're short games but it's looking the same as FIFA 12 in terms of fouls committed.

-

Playing a few more games this afternoon with some slider edits. Thought I'd share a basic sequence of play in which I picked up on a couple of nuances.

Couldn't upload the replay because I was signed out of Origin at the time - why can't they let you sign back in during a match? Anyway...

2ODKD.jpg
IE63h.jpg

Okay, pic 1. Mikel Arteta (circled) has a very high 'Attack Positioning' attribute - this makes him good at identifying space and creating angles to receive a pass. You can see him shuffle sideways and gesture for a pass to feet, placing himself equidistant between three opponents in a little pocket, creating the passing opportunity.

Arsenal's layered 4-2-3-1 also creates matchup problems in midfield for City's flat 4-4-2, so it's difficult for them to get tight to Arteta in an RDM position.

Pic 2: Is this walking dribble animation new? I don't remember seeing it before. Mertesacker had the ball at his feet and I had either released the controls for a moment, or was tilting the stick only slightly, and he entered this upright, slow walking anim with his head up. Looks nice in motion anyway.

G70Vq.jpg
nvr65.jpg

The other thing I picked up on here was what EA have been saying about attacking players thinking 'one move ahead' off the ball. The pass is only halfway to Arteta, he hasn't received it yet, but Oxlade-Chamberlain comes alive and is already turning to start a forward run.

By the time Arteta has taken a touch out of his feet, OxC is already near full speed and Kolorov has been forced to react. Unfortunately I slightly over-powered the manual lob, but the opportunity was created by the movement.

Just a couple of subtle things that caught my eye.

Last edited:
Another thing I noticed which seems huge for me anyway is that there seems to be a natural shielding of the ball by players, so the tussle a bit more on their own and try and get in front of the opposition player and hold them off. Giroud has done it quite a bit.

Also which is great is that less strong or physical players have more chance of winning challenges in certain situations. Just had Wilshere come away with the ball against a bigger stronger player because he was at the right angle etc in 12 I don't think I ever saw that happen, always was near to no chance of the little guy coming away with the ball, which was wrong.

I don't know if I am imagining it? but these two things also make the game a lot better for me and again more natural.

Chris I don't know if this is what you mean, but Giroud was running into the box but was heavily pressured by a defender so he stopped and tracked back ready for the pass into feet from the winger, which left the defender and gave him lots of space. I don't remember seeing that much on Fifa 12?

Pretty neat if you've not done it already...

During the team selection screen of the #FIFA13Demo, turn on EA SPORTS Matchday (Press Y/Triangle) to get the latest roster update.

Also lots of feedback saying game is too fast on normal... Enough pressure on EA could get it down for release....

Tweet pester @EASPORTSFIFA

Nerf, and Bobby, thanks for that - I'm really excited to try this now.

Two hours until I'm home. Ahhh, but I love this football-games time of year.

Mind sharing your slider edits? I assume sliders are in the console demo too?
I haven't refined them, so no promises. I just whacked Marking up to 75, lowered Line Length (vertical compactness) to 35, and Line Width (horizontal compactness) to 30. Just a first stab at trying to shrink the gaps between players a bit.

Much appreciated - worth starting a thread once you've played about a bit. People will be interested, I'm sure & they'll likely be lost in this thread.

Anyone tried the weather options yet? Looks like they've toned down the snow effects so you can actually see what's going on without killing your eyes. Which is nice.

So far - and I haven't yet even played a dozen matches, so it's early - the game feels a bit more solid I think. The improved Impact Engine definitely contributes to this, but also I haven't yet suffered any control hiccups, such as when the player selection or something similar would screw me over. Not so far, anyway.

I have seen a couple of AI players take an air-shot :D - but in a believable way (a heavy touch, then a swing and miss on the subsequent lunge).

The nice touch is also to select the time of the game. Whether its 1:30 or 2pm or 6 and 6:30 am. But, the 8:30pm game I played, its a bit dark, like you playing in a stadium with not enough spotlight. Oh, the rain, the water seems to effect the ball movement too. Aaaand, I don't know but I feel the ball does have a little bit "weight", a little bit heavier than Fifa 12.

Back
Top Bottom