FIFA 13

If you play head to head seasons you can find lots of fully manual players and have great games (Well I do anyway). I have some of my best football games on head to head seasons, I would say 90% of the games are fair, fun and play really well and I don't find many knobs, there are always exceptions to this though of course.

It only takes a few minutes to change the sliders, just change them on your friends computers when they go for a wee wee ;))

Agree... Head to Head with Manual Filter is great, it has only one real issue. Pressure whores are still there.

Alot of people have pressure on. Because on manual you have to charge passes a bit more or take more time aiming then high pressure is used alot to get wins.

Other than that, not too many knobs and alot try an play patient football when they do have the ball.

I guess I'm not having much luck. What time do you usually go on (BST)? Are you finding games with non 5 star teams?

Maybe the PS3 attracts less manual players

The time varies to be honest, but usually around 18:00 - 20:00 I would say on week days. But Not very often as mentioned.

I am usually Arsenal,so I play a lot of the better teams. Try to skip Barca, Real, Man City whores as much as possible as well. Because of all manual, you get much better games against the bigger teams anyway.

But yeah it will be a bigger problem finding teams to play under 4 stars, that is true.

But does all Manual mean that it takes no notice of the passing stats of the players?

Still not sure I will enjoy the game having to use Manual.

But does all Manual mean that it takes no notice of the passing stats of the players?

Still not sure I will enjoy the game having to use Manual.

A few years ago there was no real difference, but now a pass by Xavi is definitely 'helped' more than a pass by Richard Dunne.

So pass speed and even a tiny bit of direction or 'curl' gets added.

It definitely not FULL manual in 12.. and from whati could tell nothing has changed for 13... So stats are a factor, just not anywhere near as much as assisted or semi.

Dont think twice about trying. Its the best way to play this game once you have got used to it.

The first time you score a goal after a good move that YOU created you'll be hooked.

You'll then spend the next 10 years complaining how annoying assisted players are because it takes no skill :-)

Last edited:

This was posted on another gaming site, and the majority of the comments were:

"Wow, Benzema's goal was superb."
"Love the flicks and tricks, definite purchase for me!"
"Haha, this is gonna be awesome for embarassments online!!"

Just shows, a lot of the guys who play Fifa want a decent football game with an arcade element. It appears the majority of the players on here want more of a simulation of football rather than a pick-up-and-play experience. It just so happens that EA seem to prefer pandering to the former's needs.

I don't mind. I love playing Fifa regardless of it's showing off abilities. I'll still purchase regardless and I play offline usually so as long as that's been improved from last year I'm happy. I can play it how I want then - fancy tricks and flicks included or excluded, depending on mood.

With that in mind, I still think we're a good few years off a football game being released that is purely simulation. I'll also be very surprised if, come this time next year or even the year after, we'll not see comments like, "It looks just like it did last year" coming through. It's bound to look like it did last year - it's basically football and there aren't many elements you can change to make it look any different. They are tinkering with a winning formula, that mixture being the base of the sport. That will never change.

Last edited:
What about those people like me who dont have the time to play the game a lot to use Manual Passing etc? Is it really that much of an issue?

I just want to boot the game up and enjoy some matches in a session like. They days of spending many hours on a game going through the ins and outs of it are gone for me I just dont have the time to do it anymore.

agree, manual is boring. Seeing your pass fly into the stands every time isnt realistic.

This was posted on another gaming site, and the majority of the comments were:

"Wow, Benzema's goal was superb."
"Love the flicks and tricks, definite purchase for me!"
"Haha, this is gonna be awesome for embarassments online!!"

Just shows, a lot of the guys who play Fifa want a decent football game with an arcade element. It appears the majority of the players on here want more of a simulation of football rather than a pick-up-and-play experience. It just so happens that EA seem to prefer pandering to the former's needs.

I don't mind. I love playing Fifa regardless of it's showing off abilities. I'll still purchase regardless and I play offline usually so as long as that's been improved from last year I'm happy. I can play it how I want then - fancy tricks and flicks included or excluded, depending on mood.

With that in mind, I still think we're a good few years off a football game being released that is purely simulation. I'll also be very surprised if, come this time next year or even the year after, we'll not see comments like, "It looks just like it did last year" coming through. It's bound to look like it did last year - it's basically football and there aren't many elements you can change to make it look any different. They are tinkering with a winning formula, that mixture being the base of the sport. That will never change.

PES has been arcadey rubbish for years. even the new PES is pick up and play - I can keep the ball way too easy.

both games need to do realism better because neither EA or Konami seem to be able to get it right..

PES has been arcadey rubbish for years. even the new PES is pick up and play - I can keep the ball way too easy.

both games need to do realism better because neither EA or Konami seem to be able to get it right..

Anyone remember Fifa 08? That was as close to simulation as you could get. On Manual it was rock!

I think there's an extent to which they listen, but also that they have to have a different perspective to the ones providing feedback.

We just say: we wish X was like this. They have to filter it through what is possible, what they have the time for, what is priority, consider all aspects of the title before deciding their direction.

Not to mention: filtering what is actually good feedback. A gamer might think their individual opinion should be implemented just because they buy and play the game, but they doesn't mean they have a grasp of what is good game design. Those people who actually suggested a 'Be A Referee' mode might claim they're not listened to, but...

There also has to be a an element of planning ahead, a roadmap. So EA might have already decided what they intend to spend about 50% of their FIFA14 dev time on. They might even start R&D on a new feature a year in advance.

Personally, I feel like it can't be too long before the annual dev cycle is going to become unsustainable. As games become more and more complex, require more and more time to develop, the amount of incremental changes you can cram into one year is getting less and less.

Especially when a game becomes as sprawling as FIFA has. There's Career Mode, Head to Head, Clubs, FUT, Football Club, Creation Centre and more... all sharing the pie.

A one year dev cycle is a only a few months of actual development. The remainder of the time is taken up by QA (testing) and passing submission. It's really not a lot of time at all and I don't think most people appreciate that.

All fair points but the fact remains elements of this game should have been sorted years ago ''their filtering'' of feedback must be terrible for some of the issues to have remained in the game so long. Finally they're fixed so I no longer need to complain about them.

EA have also hinted about a 24/7 fifa experience which will always be updating I'd hope if they ever went down this path that the gameplay engine would get huge overhauls every year or so while other area's of the game get much needed development treatment. No idea how you'd manage such a system but I've been playing a pc game called project cars that's still in alpha and you get an updated build every week or so if you're a standard member. I'd hope fifa wouldn't do anything like that cos that time is coming in the next few years I imagine.

Or perhaps with that FIFA online game... I have no idea what direction what their going in but they're definitely spreading bets.

And yes I'll admit good on them for finally listening on feedback for clubs perhaps they've hired guys to laser focus on it over the last couple of years and they've only given them the opportunity to treat it's wounds this year, regardless of why I'm just glad Clubs will be amazing this year unless modders find a loopghole.

Anyone remember Fifa 08? That was as close to simulation as you could get. On Manual it was rock!

I enjoyed fifa 08 but it had many problems.

I personally think South Africa WC game EA made is best football title they have released...

agree, manual is boring. Seeing your pass fly into the stands every time isnt realistic.

You obviously haven't put much effort into playing manual, because after a good few games your passes don't fly into the stands every time.

But each to their own. I can understand people not wanting to put effort into manual, it is frustrating at first, but rewarding if you stick with it.

I personally think South Africa WC game EA made is best football title they have released...

I can't agree more!

In wc 2010 (for consoles) the AI was wonderful. Perhaps because the team worked in this project was different from the team working on fifa series.

That's SO bad. Same old rubbish is there. WHY do the centre forwards have so much space EVERY time!!!

Can you EVER see a point where there is ANY resistance to passing in the midfield. Only possible to lose the ball in the final 3rd.

Which is why it ends up like basketball.

The amount of times you see one pass to the striker - tackle - one pass to the other teams striker... - tackle - repeat...

Day one i am getting 2 DM's and man marking both strikers....

Last edited:
I can't agree more!

In wc 2010 (for consoles) the AI was wonderful. Perhaps because the team worked in this project was different from the team working on fifa series.
I couldn't agree less! The defensive AI in WC was the same as in FIFA 10, which was broken and made defending a total clusterf---. I really didn't like 10 or the World Cup game for this reason.

A few years ago there was no real difference, but now a pass by Xavi is definitely 'helped' more than a pass by Richard Dunne.

So pass speed and even a tiny bit of direction or 'curl' gets added.

It definitely not FULL manual in 12.. and from whati could tell nothing has changed for 13... So stats are a factor, just not anywhere near as much as assisted or semi.

Dont think twice about trying. Its the best way to play this game once you have got used to it.

The first time you score a goal after a good move that YOU created you'll be hooked.

You'll then spend the next 10 years complaining how annoying assisted players are because it takes no skill :-)
I've played manual, and I am pretty good at it. It's great with friends or on Clubs.

But I still prefer semi with it's stats influence over Manual. Buying a player for his passing abilities is nearly useless with manual in my experience. To each their own though, I don't look down on people who use manual, even though they are annoying and seeem to be looking for a sense of superiority over the rest for something that isn't really simulation.

I've played manual, and I am pretty good at it. It's great with friends or on Clubs.

But I still prefer semi with it's stats influence over Manual. Buying a player for his passing abilities is nearly useless with manual in my experience. To each their own though, I don't look down on people who use manual, even though they are annoying and seeem to be looking for a sense of superiority over the rest for something that isn't really simulation.

Key thing there is you're obviously referring to Career mode. I dont play that at all really. Or most of the offline modes.

I like playing other people and seeing whether i'm better than them. not whether the team they choose is better than mine.

Manual allows me to do that more than other settings.

I also know when i get beat it was more likely to be by a better player not just because they chose Real Madrid and they cant ever miss chances with Ronaldo etc.

Also, i would say that there is a definite difference on manual between Fabregas, Xavi and Alonso compared to lower players and that includes passing accuracy.

If you've not tried manual on 12, give it a go because stats are definitely there.

I dont think manual players want to feel superior, although it is a harder mode to master, i think most just wished more people played or were aware of it, so it became easier to find games.

A manual filter for clubs would be amazing.... but while manual is 'hidden' in the menus how many manual clubs are out there? 50-ish?... All in different time zones. I think in 4 years of playing clubs we've played 2 games against random manual clubs.

Hopefuly the skill games will draw attention to Manual... As all gold skill games are manual. It'll give more exposure.

career mode is so damn boring...every team feels exactly the same in fifa 12.

Dont know how you guys play it all year round.

I just play online 2 v 2 everything else is too boring on fifa games.

Key thing there is you're obviously referring to Career mode. I dont play that at all really. Or most of the offline modes.

I like playing other people and seeing whether i'm better than them. not whether the team they choose is better than mine.

Manual allows me to do that more than other settings.

I also know when i get beat it was more likely to be by a better player not just because they chose Real Madrid and they cant ever miss chances with Ronaldo etc.

Also, i would say that there is a definite difference on manual between Fabregas, Xavi and Alonso compared to lower players and that includes passing accuracy.

If you've not tried manual on 12, give it a go because stats are definitely there.

I dont think manual players want to feel superior, although it is a harder mode to master, i think most just wished more people played or were aware of it, so it became easier to find games.

A manual filter for clubs would be amazing.... but while manual is 'hidden' in the menus how many manual clubs are out there? 50-ish?... All in different time zones. I think in 4 years of playing clubs we've played 2 games against random manual clubs.

Hopefuly the skill games will draw attention to Manual... As all gold skill games are manual. It'll give more exposure.

Different taste for different people. I've never really cared about online. I play a game here and there. I mostly play CM or with friends. I want there to be a difference between picking Real Madrid and Hertha Berlin. Specially on their technical abilities. Which I feel manual takes away.

Different taste for different people. I've never really cared about online. I play a game here and there. I mostly play CM or with friends. I want there to be a difference between picking Real Madrid and Hertha Berlin. Specially on their technical abilities. Which I feel manual takes away.

Yeah does take some away in that way... I guess there's no way of doing both.

Semi is still way too assisted for my liking. So much i think they could take assisted out and make semi the default with manual the only other option.

That would mean manual players could play more against the default control scheme...

career mode is so damn boring...every team feels exactly the same in fifa 12.

Dont know how you guys play it all year round.

I just play online 2 v 2 everything else is too boring on fifa games.
I agree Benni Benassi ;)

Career mode every team feels the same and every CPU team plays against you the same way i.e. Swansea playing like Chelsea.

What is the gamespeed they are playing on ? I am not sure if i like the complete dribling, sure it certainly seems to have more variation the pes' but it looks like player can dance, pass after complete dribble in a split second. As if not standing in the ground. The output of fifa's animation engine that makes me sad, based on fifa 12. :YAWN:

Back
Top Bottom