FIFA 13

For myself the thing that springs to mind which will work great is that I usually play variants of 442 with about 4 or 5 different versions, one is my wide players as out and out wingers, one is them as tucked attacking midfielders, one is 433 with wide wingers one forward and one in the hole, one is wide wingers two forwards, one is wide AMs with one forward and one in the hole, etc, etc, often I want to play two up front for a short period but then if the opposing team starts to control the midfield I want to change to one forward just off the midfield, all that changing I will now be able to do on the fly numerous times in a match, that will be a massive impact for me.

I understand that it'll help improve the ease of switching between formations. That wasn't the point being made.

Hmm not sure how you've missed that, they do change formation, usually it's from 2 up front to 3 up front when losing but they definitely change formation, if you used man marking with your CBs you'd especially notice it because often the one playing up top through the middle ends up wide of the front three and your CB starts getting dragged onto the wings (rather than the fullback helping to pick him up), so annoyingly you have to go through all the menus to tell them to stop man marking :(

Well if it does happen then I've not noticed it through effect on the game or otherwise - that said I've only played a limited amount of CM because my career corrupted irretrievably a few months ago, and I wasn't that engaged with the gameplay itself so didn't start another one. I know nothing happens prior to a match though.

I just hate the same old crossing animation. We need a variations of it.

I feel the same.It's a shame that a game which is based so much on mo-cap and great animations in general has to include that awful crossing style

I would expect better defensive AI this gen.

Hmm, pretty sure it's gotten better this gen overall. Can you be more specific?

There's always going to be room for improvement but personally I don't think the defensive AI is close to being as much a problem as other aspects of the game, such as those the devs have prioritized, like attacking AI, first touch, and dribbling.

In fact, I cant remember ever thinking I lost a match or gave up a goal due to the fault of the AI in a way that was unrealistic and couldn't be expected to occur in a real match. After all, as the saying goes, every goal is the result of a defensive mistake.

IMO the mechanics of tackling, jockeying, and marking are a bigger issue than the AI.

Well if it does happen then I've not noticed it through effect on the game or otherwise - that said I've only played a limited amount of CM because my career corrupted irretrievably a few months ago, and I wasn't that engaged with the gameplay itself so didn't start another one. I know nothing happens prior to a match though.

In a sense I think you're both correct - the CPU does make adjustments, it's just that they are pretty basic. That goes for both formations and tactics.

For example, I've seen the CPU throw an additional attacker up front, like Placebo mentioned, but I don't ever recall seeing the CPU change formations to, say, a three man midfield rather than a two man when it's losing the midfield battle.

FIFA has a lot of room to improve in this area, and not only in adding greater depth and variety but also from the perspective of doing a better job communicating to the player that changes have occurred.

EA could simply copy the tactical system from the other game - the whole different tactics/formations for different phases of the match (ahead/behind/last 20 mins etc.).

Why don't they? Can anyone in contact with the FIFA team ask about this as a way to add tactical depth and realism?

Last edited:
From the gamechangers to the greater community, it's been clearly expressed that greater tactical depth is desired, and I guarantee you that the devs are aware. I can also pretty much guarantee you that when they do upgrade the tactical system, it won't be a copy and paste job from PES.

Maybe we'll get lucky and it's going to happen for 13 and just hasn't been announced yet. Fingers crossed.

Pes has its own problems, but one thing for sure even in FIFA 13 faces are god damn plastic "I, ROBOT movie" type CRAP! Even face makers can't fix that.. thats really sad.

Second thing - how you can play any career mode if you do not have Champions League, its like playing a football game without World Cup or Euro 2012..

From the gamechangers to the greater community, it's been clearly expressed that greater tactical depth is desired, and I guarantee you that the devs are aware. I can also pretty much guarantee you that when they do upgrade the tactical system, it won't be a copy and paste job from PES.

Maybe we'll get lucky and it's going to happen for 13 and just hasn't been announced yet. Fingers crossed.

OK I'll trust that your statement is correct - why then is there so little tactical depth year after freaking year in FIFA? The tactical side of FIFA is a very poor joke - if everyone knows this why not even the smallest token effort towards fixing it?

Any gamechanger types have anything to say on why they think EA don't give a damn about more realistic and sophisticated tactics year on year?

Even something as simple as contextual tactics/formations for the AI like tactics/formations or being level, ahead by two, behind by two, level in the last ten minutes or whatever would greatly improve things like the ebb and flow of a game/the whole 'cat and mouse' tactical side of things.

More depth EA please, more depth.

ECC is fine with me :)

worst thing is you have to actually play through a season to get into it - i'd much rather have everything settled for the first season according to real life data...can't be that hard.

KSI makes the day again xD.

YouTube - FIFA 13 | E3 Gameplay Trailer BREAKDOWN

Love his inputs. SSDY ;).

That's brilliant. It sucks that there are so many things ALREADY being highlighted, but til we play it we won't really know.

Question for the last few FIFA game players - was playing 12 last night in Career Mode: am I the only one that has matches where my players seem to basically have their intelligence turned off? Like, instead of passing 3 feet to their teammate they continually pass 5 feet just past teammates, they only trap balls into CPU tackles and so forth? It's not often, but maybe 1 in 10 matches I literally can't believe it's the same team.

Maybe that's realistic, but man it's frustrating.

OK I'll trust that your statement is correct - why then is there so little tactical depth year after freaking year in FIFA? The tactical side of FIFA is a very poor joke - if everyone knows this why not even the smallest token effort towards fixing it?

Any gamechanger types have anything to say on why they think EA don't give a damn about more realistic and sophisticated tactics year on year?

Even something as simple as contextual tactics/formations for the AI like tactics/formations or being level, ahead by two, behind by two, level in the last ten minutes or whatever would greatly improve things like the ebb and flow of a game/the whole 'cat and mouse' tactical side of things.

More depth EA please, more depth.

There's really no good explanation other than simply that they've prioritized other aspects of the game. It sucks and it's really frustrating.

But I don't think it's that they don't give a damn. I'd be shocked if it's not at the top of their priority list.

When the gamechangers were asked to submit their top ten list of priorities, we basically had no problem immediately agreeing on the top three: the AI, player movement physics, and Team Management/tactics. After that it wasn't nearly so easy.

I think that's a pretty good representation of how the community feels, and my point is that I imagine it's not far off from how the devs feel too. Maybe they're waiting for the tech upgrade that the next gen will bring... I dunno. But I'd be shocked if this isn't addressed sooner rather than later.

worst thing is you have to actually play through a season to get into it - i'd much rather have everything settled for the first season according to real life data...can't be that hard.

I believe it's not about difficulty, it's about how blatant it would make the non-licensed inclusion appear. Obviously the solution is very simple, when setting up a CM you can choose which teams are in the first season's European tournaments...

Love the kinect stuff, finally we can make subs/tactical changes without changing to the menu, that's really great! :)

this is only for kinect?

i ve been claiming for change formations in real time for years, just like always has in PES, but i play on PC...
so, there's some chance to make this change formation in pad or just by voice with kinect??

as i will now have fifa 13 on the PC. i would want to be joining a club.. Jonney, do you still play clubs

as i will now have fifa 13 on the PC. i would want to be joining a club.. Jonney, do you still play clubs
yes i do and fifa 12 on pc is vVERY popular so plenty of clubs to play online!

i have links ie i know loads who play fifa 12 and i am beggining to arrange and create a fifa 13 team

Back
Top Bottom