FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

Poised to deliver the most realistic soccer matches,

It’s hard to believe the folks at EA Sports when they claim to be delivering an even more realistic soccer experience with each subsequent FIFA iteration. However, when they pull out new features like “Pro Player Intelligence” and improved defense mechanics, they prove us wrong time and time again.

This is the reason why people really hate FIFA 11 and EA attitude. The bugs i understand but it's like i think Jamez said, FIFA takes itself seriously!

If they came out openly and said, 'were making it for casuals since that's our target market'. I wouldn't really mind tbh but what this realistic crap about. Jesus, the masses play this game because it's easy and pick up and play! When I'm chatting up girls and they mention they play fifa, i mean girls who know hardly anything about football. I mean REALLY! You may laugh but that's who EA are try to make the game appealing to! Why do EA try to chat shit to people into this simulation crap!

These reviewers do need to fucking slap themselves when they call fifa realistic! really? FIFA is successful for it's easy accessible controls, fluid animations and highly fluid responsive gameplay! Having said this, looking back at EA planned features for FIFA 12,, they really are just more gimmicks! They will most likely be completely unbalanced or some will just not work.

Or maybe because I'm sick I'm just in a cynical mood today :CONFUSE:

You can't really blame EA for what people write about them, can you? Blame whoever writes the bullshit - even if it's straight quotations from an EA brief, it's still worse that the publisher has actually written them than EA trying to make them believe it.

EA are allowed to market, it's up to us to filter out the gabble from the gameplay, and the gimmicks from the groundbreaking. You cannot possibly know from these small pieces whether these features are gimmicks: Pro Passing and Personality+ could have easily not been gimmicks.

If EA announce any big feature, and big change, it's natural to assume that it could be a gimmick because they often have been in the past - but I think it's hard to say that this 'contain' function replacing the 'press' function which OXM have talked about is a gimmick: whether it works or not it will be an enormous and very real change to the way the game works.

Last edited:
FIFA is much like Football Manager in my opinion. It's almost instant gratification because it's hard to be bad at the game as long as you actually learn how to play.

Both games have really good engines but it's things like the easily accessible controls in FIFA are the equivalent of the incredibly easy to find and sign wonderkids of the FM world. Turn off assisted and deliberately don't sign wonderkids for the sake of it and both games become more tricky and ergo gratifying, but that is completely the minorities view.

Yeah i'm digging on FM too whilst i'm here. That game makes me cringe though when i see people win the Premier League with Havant & Waterlooville.

Last edited:
FIFA is much like Football Manager in my opinion. It's almost instant gratification because it's hard to be bad at the game as long as you actually learn how to play.

Both games have really good engines but it's things like the easily accessible controls in FIFA are the equivalent of the incredibly easy to find and sign wonderkids of the FM world. Turn off assisted and deliberately don't sign wonderkids for the sake of it and both games become more tricky and ergo gratifying, but that is completely the minorities view.

Yeah i'm digging on FM too whilst i'm here. That game makes me cringe though when i see people win the Premier League with Havant & Waterlooville.

FIFA is nothing like FM. people have begged EA to simply copy and paste Fifa manager game into fifa 11 or in this case FIFA 12's manager mode but they wont fucking listen.

if they copied fifa manager into fifa 12, i woudl be estatic mate.

Anyways is there any news in regards to BAP/Club mode? are they going to get rid of that silly "1 room" only shit they pulled last year?

I hope they also dump this fucking RPG style create a BAP player bullshit and just have it so we all have players who all have same stats. this is so the game focuses heavily on a players own skill ratther then some idiot who cloned a player who is 100 overall.:YAWN:

While many games in the sporting genre continue to offer little more than an upgrade to their predecessor, FIFA has come on leaps and bounds over the last few years implementing a wide range of game modes, online innovations and a truly outstanding game engine that works wonders to simulate the beautiful game. Though FIFA 11 was more of a refinement of FIFA 10’s issues than a further evolution of the series, it certainly didn't disappoint. However there was still plenty of room for improvement.

This year there are going to be some major changes. Not content with the beautiful game that FIFA 11 currently delivers, FIFA 12 looks to improve in almost every department. The latest issue of OXM speaks with Lead gameplay designer Aaron McHardy who reveals how the football on the pitch has been fine-tuned with precision dribbling, new defensive maneuvers and the ability to get injured while playing.

McHardy says you can injure your players by over-working them, or making a rash challenge, as well as through crunching tackles from your opponents. In defense, players will no longer be able to “press” opponents, but will instead be able to “contain,” jockeying them into a safe position before timing a tackle to perfection. Animations will also be overhauled to bring home the intensity of the tackle. Overall, McHardy claims the FIFA 12 Impact Engine now “gives us better accuracy, better momentum, more realistic outcomes, solving a lot of situations we tried not to get into before.”

Dribbling has also been enhanced and now, instead of having two changes of pace – slow and fast – players will have a third “jogging” speed they can use which aims to give us more control over the ball as well as the ability to dribble and shield. And you’re going need every trick in the book to work your way past defenses as A.I. in FIFA 12 is said be vastly improved.

Overall, OXM seemed bowled over by FIFA 12. "The result is physical play that looks astonishingly authentic,” says the author. "EA's hoping that by making defensive play more strategic, even nil-nil draws will be gripping." FIFA 12 is due for release in October, 2011.

i like the sound of the above

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=30334

As someone who's been begging for proper injuries in Fifa for the past 4 or 5 years the sound of the injury system does sound terrific, just hope it includes long term injuries, worst case I can cause extra injuries by abusing my player's fatigue ;)

It would be interesting to see each years press releases side by side since fifa 07 and compare them to how they actually panned out in game. When I think of this, I lose all my hope of it being anything close to what they say, and then I can't get excited. It's all sounding a little too good to be true at the moment.

So EA are saying that the AI defences will be even harder than in 11? My problem with 11 was actually that the AI had almost no capacity to give you a proper game in terms of keeping the ball for itself, working space, and creating chances against you. The AI would only sit back then hit you on the break. So for EA to fail to mention any improvements in the way the AI can attack you is very, very disturbing. Most of my games in 11 seemed to end in incredibly frustrating draws where you have almost all the play but hit a defensive brick wall. So for EA to focus their hype so far on the fact that defensive AI is 'even better', then will that be backed up with any kind of decent attacking AI?

The improvements sound great on paper, but EA seem incapable of balancing anything correctly. I'm looking forward to all these improvements contriving to work in the AI's favour, just like the jostling system first introduced in FIFA10.

But if the game can't offer any increased intelligence in the way the AI attacks you, then it'll be another mess.

cue a belgian getting paid to spend a year trying to get injured in "simulate" mode.

So EA are saying that the AI defences will be even harder than in 11? My problem with 11 was actually that the AI had almost no capacity to give you a proper game in terms of keeping the ball for itself, working space, and creating chances against you. The AI would only sit back then hit you on the break. So for EA to fail to mention any improvements in the way the AI can attack you is very, very disturbing. Most of my games in 11 seemed to end in incredibly frustrating draws where you have almost all the play but hit a defensive brick wall. So for EA to focus their hype so far on the fact that defensive AI is 'even better', then will that be backed up with any kind of decent attacking AI?

The improvements sound great on paper, but EA seem incapable of balancing anything correctly. I'm looking forward to all these improvements contriving to work in the AI's favour, just like the jostling system first introduced in FIFA10.

But if the game can't offer any increased intelligence in the way the AI attacks you, then it'll be another mess.

Spot on.

EA have never delivered a playable 1-player mode but FIFA11 took it to a new extreme with the ridiculous AI defending. The super-human reactions, heat-seeking tackling with 100% success rate and the fact that they never got out of shape...and worst of all, every single AI team and player was exactly the same....no variety in defences whatsoever, just a generic perfect defence for every team. Complete and utter game-killing waste of space.

I just hope that the new defense and tackling systems make online play more enjoyable. imo, on-line mode is all they've got but if anything, it's been gradually getting worse rather than better.

I hope they also dump this fucking RPG style create a BAP player bullshit and just have it so we all have players who all have same stats. this is so the game focuses heavily on a players own skill ratther then some idiot who cloned a player who is 100 overall.:YAWN:

Can't agree with that at all. I really enjoy the concept of developing a player from a raw prospect to a finished article.

I'd far rather they fixed the fact you could clone VPs. I personally would like to see VP stats be a combination of 'levelling up' through experience and a more malleable form-based system.

I could be interested in BAP if VPs were capped at some max development, and some grave penalties were applied to giants and midgets. And the fact the game rewarded a lot more teamplay than solo accomplishments. Though I got bored easily due to the fact that it's impossible to do decent build up in this game at anything over 2vs2.

Re: FIFA 12

It isnt if your Konami, but EA have yet show they are capable of simulating individualism. Not once. I personally dont believe their dev's are even capable. EA have been left so far behind in this regard it's not even funny. Alternatively, lets for argument sake say they have the programming capabilities and a true understanding of footballing fundamentals- why bother ? They have phenomenal motion-capture technology that has enough magical sparkle to hood-wink the average gamer into believing visuals equate to realism. And that's the bottom-line. They have a highly successful footballing franchise, so why change a winning formula. I've stood by this belief for years, and nothing has changed to make me think any differently.

Looking at the bigger EA picture though, all their sports games are produced with the very same idiology in place. Can anyone seriously name any EA Sports title that doesnt follow the very same principle ? It's all glossy, fully licenced, and very, very pick-up-and-play. There is nothing deep or simulated in any EA Sports title I have ever played. Even Fight Night, which I loved. But hey, they sell bucketloads, so again, why change ?

I must be the only one to say this. But the animations in fifa are not realistic. If you want to know why do the following. Google a picture of a football match, then compare it to a photo of pes and fifa. you can clearly see that pes is much more realistic when it comes to body movements etc. Comparing a photo say's allot about the animation. you might think you have to see it in motion, but that's not true. What EA has done brilliantly is connecting all the animations together. This makes it fluid, but not realistic. When pes can realizie this: fluid. You will be blown away.

FIFA is nothing like FM. people have begged EA to simply copy and paste Fifa manager game into fifa 11 or in this case FIFA 12's manager mode but they wont fucking listen.

if they copied fifa manager into fifa 12, i woudl be estatic mate.

Anyways is there any news in regards to BAP/Club mode? are they going to get rid of that silly "1 room" only shit they pulled last year?

but mate it's all about the money. Ea want two incomes mate.

Can't agree with that at all. I really enjoy the concept of developing a player from a raw prospect to a finished article.

I'd far rather they fixed the fact you could clone VPs. I personally would like to see VP stats be a combination of 'levelling up' through experience and a more malleable form-based system.

I agree, I like being able to import myself into the game and build my stats, unlock extra traits, kit stuff etc. It's a bit lame but I enjoy it. Given the shambles that is Career Mode, at least the Virtual Pro stuff gives people something to do with the game.

My only gripe with VP is that it's actually too easy to make your player unstoppable, and doesn't take long enough either. It should be harder, and span a longer space of time, to make your VP an established first team player for example. At the moment, whack your Pro up front, make some first team appearances, and you can pretty much score more goals than games played. Maybe that's because the AI around you is awful, meaning the game I think makes it easier for you to win the game all by yourself, as a way of compensating for the fact that the AI players on the pitch can't do anything themselves.

I hope FIFA12 goes some way to improving this, but I doubt it will. There's simply too much stuff they need to improve this year.

teh way VP works is crap though. score 10 free kicks in a row just to level up your long range shot? pathetic.

the way it should be done is the more succesful long shots you make on target, the better you level up on that. just like a proper RPG game.

Right now, if you use your pro on only club modes, the chances of leveling up on the current system is impossible.

Im not going to level up my vp offline against crap boring AI.

Re: FIFA 12

I must be the only one to say this. But the animations in fifa are not realistic. If you want to know why do the following. Google a picture of a football match, then compare it to a photo of pes and fifa. you can clearly see that pes is much more realistic when it comes to body movements etc. Comparing a photo say's allot about the animation. you might think you have to see it in motion, but that's not true. What EA has done brilliantly is connecting all the animations together. This makes it fluid, but not realistic. When pes can realizie this: fluid. You will be blown away.

I dont doubt any of that. Your preaching to the converted. Crossed wires.

It's an odd thing, the animation of both games. Instant reaction is that PES looks horrible, FIFA fluid and realistic, but yeah having played both games extensively now, I'd have to say that PES feels, well, 'solid' if that makes sense. Players take clear, distinct touches of the ball that allows you to do a variety of things, whereas I went back to FIFA for a game after a long lay off from it, and the players felt like they were floating, moving at bizarrely lightning fast speeds, and for all the fluidity of the game's animation, it just doesn't seem right. It's all about how the players move on the pitch in terms of speed, inertia, motion, and it's all wrong in FIFA. There's no sense of first touch, it all feels very immediate and very frantic.

It's an odd thing, the animation of both games. Instant reaction is that PES looks horrible, FIFA fluid and realistic, but yeah having played both games extensively now, I'd have to say that PES feels, well, 'solid' if that makes sense. Players take clear, distinct touches of the ball that allows you to do a variety of things, whereas I went back to FIFA for a game after a long lay off from it, and the players felt like they were floating, moving at bizarrely lightning fast speeds, and for all the fluidity of the game's animation, it just doesn't seem right. It's all about how the players move on the pitch in terms of speed, inertia, motion, and it's all wrong in FIFA. There's no sense of first touch, it all feels very immediate and very frantic.

It's odd my mate say's just the same thing about PES, that it looks, feels and plays Arcadey, yet there was much I preferred about PES this time and the bit's I didn't I could more than live with. The inertia and sense of footplant are far better in PES than FIFA...

It's odd my mate say's just the same thing about PES, that it looks, feels and plays Arcadey, yet there was much I preferred about PES this time and the bit's I didn't I could more than live with. The inertia and sense of footplant are far better in PES than FIFA...
I agree with you Nicholas. Somet about pes at times which makes me wonder why I bother with FIFA at all. Then I play FIFA and feel some of pes's short comings. Frustrating mate that after all these years the game is just like my toon army. Still can't get it right where it matters. We want a new striker to replace Carroll.

PES feels solid and more responsive while FIFA feels more smoother around the edges.

It's a problem FIFA has always had (maybe less in 08) that the players don't feel like they have any weight. You can float around, twisting and turning quickly all over the place, accelerate to top speed in 1 second and so on. If the players feel like they have weight, with proper inertia and acceleration and so on, the "footplanting" will automatically feel much better.

I think it's become worse since the 360 dribbling was implemented. I've always thought the players 'flail about'.

Yep, 09 for me offered the best balance between weight and momentum of player vs speed or reactions. 360 was introduced in 10 and has made the game poorer for it imo.

It's odd. If you actually look at the responsiveness of PES, it's actually slower than FIFA by a long way. And yet it feels a lot easier to play deliberately yet instinctively. I'm trying to decide whether it still feels easier to control because that slower response means your reaction times are able to keep on top of things, or if it's because the defence is slow to respond too so the balance of the two is better... or indeed if the fact that the players tend to automatically slow down when you're trying to dribble intricately means that you keep the ball closer to yourself, whereas in FIFA players tend to take a first touch at jogging pace, knocking the ball out of their feet and being more prone to midfield pressure tackles.

Or a combination of all of the above!

Last edited:
PES is a strange one, they really didn't do the game speed settings properly meaning I've found the faster the game speed, the more responsive players seem to be in relation to your joypad commands. It's a major flaw in the game. But either way, PES generally allows you the time to think about what you're going to do, right down to where to take your first touch. I'm not sure how anyone can call this year's PES arcadey though, PES2010 yes, but this one, no. Maybe if you use the top teams in the world then ramp up the game speed to maximum, then it would look really arcade like I'd imagine, but I'd be amazed at people choosing that speed. Players run like a video recording on fast forward.

Going back to FIFA, it felt really really bizarre. Not just the speed of the players themselves, but the sheer amound of players who were 'bunching', for lack of a better word, and it made it seem totally unrealistic. Players somehow get sucked into little huddles, people even fall over each other it gets so congested, and turnover of possession was insane, even when you comfortably win. Spending a while away from the game really highlights the problems FIFA has with homing missile defending, and other cheap tricks the game uses to make it more difficult. How FIFA 12 is going to fix this is anyone's guess. I don't think it will personally, but one can always hope. I know I always bleat on about World Cup 2010, but while it was, in many ways, more arcadey than 11, somehow it played a more fluid and less artifical looking game of football.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom