FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

Good find Cesc! For me FIFA 11 was a very good game, but it has too many bugs to enjoy it fully. Still, I was amazed by how accurately you can aim at the goal and by the animations. Good game to play a 1 vs 1 with a friend, not so good if it comes to online and single player.

did I read that right.... FIFA 12 is releasing first in North American sept 27th before Europe? weird... that has never happened before that I can remember and it's very interesting to me EA is releasing FIFA 12 in the same month along with NHL 12 their 2 best sports games... most people who play NHL 12 online in North America also play FIFA 12 so it will be interesting to see how that goes with the release so close together. I myself think I will be going with FIFA this year over NHL.. it seems most of the NHL online community is moving from NHL clubs to FIFA clubs already. NHL 12 looks to be NHL 11.5 with gimmicks like goalie fighting to hype the casuals while FIFA have more of the real gameplay improvements. At least FIFA still has competition to force EA to make more improvements which NHL doesn't have any more. NHL is usually sports game of the year the last recent years but I think thatgo to FIFA 12 next.

Last edited:
Well if it's not all smoke and mirrors there could be some nice improvements to CM, not going to get excited though as we thought last year they added players requesting to be transfer listed and it proved to be bollocks :(

"Youth Academy" :SHOCK: :)

Awesome (depending upon implementation of course).

But I'm still worried about them relying on this email/notification system, like with the complaints by Lehman and Ramsey, and also the news story about Walcott. Having these notifications is fine but as we saw in 11, there's got to be more than a notification system itself. It all has to actually mean something and make a difference on the pitch.

For example, if there's a form system now in place that we can see everyone's form, and there it shows that Ramsey is on great form - and form actually matters in gameplay - then this looks great. But if like in 11 we just get seemingly random notifications, this'll suck.

Looking forward to hearing about the academy...

You're assuming there that what they believe and what they spout in press/marketing are the same.

Even if you were to sit down this afternoon with Mr Rutter and convince him (if necessary) that he should fully adopt your opinion on what needs to change, he's hardly going to go into the next preview interview admitting "we've still got a long way to go".

It's down to the creatives within the dev team to be critical and analytical and stay aware of what needs improving. It's down to those whose job is largely PR, like Rutter, to go out there and tell everyone how brilliant it is (whether it is or not). I just don't think the two are connected.

What I'm assuming is that, if they manage to drum home this idea that it is the definitive sim and we dont at least contest it then even if they don't believe it, then they may well hide behind it when us hardcore weirdos try to ask for more realism in areas they've already 'worked'.

David Rutter is not head of marketing at EA. He's not working under the creative directors at EA. He's above them. Their ideas have to go via him in order to make it into the game. He's got a lot of clout as far as deciding how realistic things should be in the final game. That he (and therefore EAC) are hammering this party line also means that even if they don't honestly believe it, they are still very likely to keep up pretenses when we talk about it privately - they wouldn't want to risk us leaking that they think otherwise.

It is to an extent speculation, but if there isn't any resistance to this idea that they've already made the definitive sim, then no response is as good as agreeing. IMO it'd be a very dangerous thing for future FIFAs to just let this play out unchallenged.

Career mode will allow you, if you wish, to get involved in every aspect of the game – from hiring scouts to source young talent to selecting a squad in the light of a gloomy physio report.

This time round the transfer window has been realised with greater fidelity, too. Players can now choose to 'stall' on a negotiation, and are in general more aggressive and intelligent in their demands. But this level of detail isn't limited to static menu screens; it spills over into the commentary, creating an even greater sense of realism.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1181084p1.html

What I'm assuming is that, if they manage to drum home this idea that it is the definitive sim and we dont at least contest it then even if they don't believe it, then they may well hide behind it when us hardcore weirdos try to ask for more realism in areas they've already 'worked'.

David Rutter is not head of marketing at EA. He's not working under the creative directors at EA. He's above them. Their ideas have to go via him in order to make it into the game. He's got a lot of clout as far as deciding how realistic things should be in the final game. That he (and therefore EAC) are hammering this party line also means that even if they don't honestly believe it, they are still very likely to keep up pretenses when we talk about it privately - they wouldn't want to risk us leaking that they think otherwise.

It is to an extent speculation, but if there isn't any resistance to this idea that they've already made the definitive sim, then no response is as good as agreeing. IMO it'd be a very dangerous thing for future FIFAs to just let this play out unchallenged.

Our best hopes for resistance is through Konami. There's little indication that Rutter gives a damn what we, the GCs, the hardcore, think.

The best case scenario I see at the moment is for Konami to nail the AI and force EA's hand. Rutter and EA have essentially proven that footballing realism is not a requirement for massive sales numbers. Since our voice apparently matters little, our best chance is that Konami can show that depth, authenticity, intelligence, fundamentals, etc. matter to the market.

fifa-soccer-12-20110708035341332_640w.jpg

LOL@ Song.

fifa-soccer-12-20110708035341332_640w.jpg

Can someone explain why Song isn't even looking at the ball! Please tell me they don't charge around like cyborgs being sucked into the ball!

I mean again here: http://52.imagebam.com/download/zmqGFCdbymdCLRykitr1LQ/13974/139733900/6.jpg what is is Wilshire staring at? I think the whole two man locked in battle for headers makes that image look a bit :CONFUSE:

Something about EA's graphics look brilliant and at the same time, goofy and cartoon like. Can't put my finger on why :LOL:

I think it's that the animations in shot there are very good and the use of high res textures and depth of field look great. But the stretched numbers on the shirt, strange player models, plastic stretchy man movement and glossed lighting makes it look cartoony.

Think EA need to go back to using more photo realsim. Juventus new ground looking Good :)

Last edited:
It is a matter of preference really for the graphic. It is damn good on its own.

But what annoys me a bit is the balance that ea's graphic department try to deliver. yes, it has detailed and HD player faces (only some players/teams though) but almost non existence contextual player expression even if it exist in certain cases it looks aweful e.g goal celebration.

So it is like an organic body is attached with static 3d realistic photo. Not balance at all :YAWN:. When they get tackled is like they dont feel any pain at all lol.

Lighting is nice by the way :))

I have a question. Is EA still using limited 9 player body model in this year version ?

Last edited:
Yes, it's 50/50 with EA's graphics,they are brilliant and cartoon like at the same time. They haven't got all the elements to work together yet! The have done very well to make players look 'organic' which is the best thing i've seen and something Konami needs to look to implement.

I think actually whats wrong with the pictures is the situations the players are in. This picture here:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/f1d3c7139733900

It's like all four Arsenal players in the box there are looking for a lost dog or something, they just look confused and lost. It doesn't look like a real situation from a football match at all! Which is very worrying as this is ingame footage spiced up a tad bit

It's just a picture. Obviously! but consistently in all the pictures that have been released the players always seemed to look confused and more interested in staring into space.

Last edited:
That picture with Song looking at the side is actually a scenario like this.
Drogba is through enroute to the goal, Vermaelen puts in a last minute tackle while Song was looking at the linesman for offside.Simple.

Is there any news on team list or edit mode i never understood y fifa never built a good edit mode in game not creation centre so we can do like pes

For the lulz,

Why I'm not looking forward to FIFA 12's changes
June 9, 2011 by momentstealers

I'm a big football game fan and have been playing the sport on consoles since God knows when. Sensible Soccer, Dino Dini's, Ryan Giggs' soccer, right through to Pro Evo and the juggernaut that is FIFA. It's my favourite sport by a country mile and I have had thousands of hours of enjoyment from it, both in real life and in videogame form.

As someone who was recently converted back to FIFA from Pro Evo, I was watching the E3 announcements about the next FIFA game with interest. I realise that a lot of it is just blatant back-of-the-box sloganeering, but the 360 degree dribbling mechanic, although not wholly a new idea, seems much improved. I'm happy with that. Then I saw an announcement that made me immediately angry. Apparently your players are now susceptible to muscle strains, niggling injuries, recurring tweaks and pains and the belated onset of an earlier knock.

This annoys me. It's one of my little irrational dislikes (I should trademark that term, I use it every other post). I hate the fact that football games now seem to be constantly trying to be too clever, EA's title being the main offender. I realise that FIFA is supposed to be a simulation and therefore, by definition, must try to mimic real life football as closely as possible, but there are things that, in my opinion, have no place in football games. Here are a few examples.

I remember the good old days when there were only two ways to commit a foul - a slide tackle from behind or a two-handed shove. There was a gentler tackle, known as a 'foot-in' that would always go unpunished. Nowadays you can commit fouls simply by running alongside an opponent. The opponent falls down, the whistle blows and a free kick is awarded. You can also concede a foul simply by standing still - an opponent may run across you, tumble to the ground and again the whistle blows. This is hugely frustrating - I realise that professional football is rife with diving and theatrics but surely these are aspects of the sport that don't need to be replicated in a videogame? It doesn't matter if the game is a simulation or not, it's still infuriating to hear the whistle blow every few seconds for fouls you've commited that you genuinely could have done nothing about. Why should I be punished for nothing?

Another annoyance is overuse of the advantage rule. If you're not a sporty person, advantage comes into effect when a foul is commited, but the victims' team has a chance to benefit from play simply continuing without a free kick being awarded. Perhaps a player has been fouled but the ball has bounced to a teammate who has a goalscoring opportunity - the referee would wave play on to the benefit of the fouled team. Now, in a real-life ninety minute game of football there will be less than a handful of notable advantages played. In the more recent FIFA games there are about twenty in a ten minute game.

Often, I'll commit a foul and realise that the referee is trying to play advantage, even though the ball is sitting unremarkably in the middle of nowhere. If i run and take possession of the ball the whistle will blow for a foul, so I simply have to sit and watch the ball until an opponent takes it. Sometimes I'm waiting so long that the advantage window closes. It's stupid and, I feel, simply an example of modern developers trying to be too clever to the detriment of the game.

I'm still going. Another thing about the more modern FIFA's is that a player will almost never strike the ball cleanly if it's on his bad foot, at an awkward height or rolling qiuckly along the ground. I realise that all of these things, in real-life situations, make shots more difficult but not to the extent that they are in FIFA. I am a well below average footballer and have only played the game at amateur level but I have seen countless goals rocket into the top corner off a players bad foot, I've seen teammates swivel and crack a shot into the goal from 20 yards whilst falling backwards. The best goal I've ever scored was a volley with my weaker left foot. There are far too many occasions in FIFA where the ball skews off at crazy angles simply because it landed at the players weaker foot. I may be overanalysing this or being too cynical but this seems to me like an example of developers being too clever.

These examples are just a few of the reasons why FIFA 12's changes have dampened my excitement for the game. I know for a fact that at some point or another they're going to infuriate me. It's not a bad idea but then again neither are any of the above examples - they're simply overused. Will a player succumb to a niggling injury every game? Will a slight early knock on a players shin come back to cripple him in the 80th minute every second game? How many times am I going to be running through on goal only for my player to crumple to the ground holding his ankle? I realise I'm being premature here - FIFA 12 could be the best in the series and perhaps they've ironed out a few of the problems I've outlined. Maybe the new injury mechanic is going to be used sensibly and not shoved down my throat every match as an example of how clever the game is. Maybe I'm the only person neurotic enough to be annoyed by these things? I have not prejudged the game quite yet - I'm looking forward to it still. I'm just a little bit worried that I'll end up smashing another couple of 360 controllers because Lionel Messi couldn't walk off an ankle knock 85 minutes after getting kicked!

http://www.ign.com/blogs/momentstealers/2011/06/09/why-im-not-looking-forward-to-fifa-12s-changes

Our best hopes for resistance is through Konami. There's little indication that Rutter gives a damn what we, the GCs, the hardcore, think.

The best case scenario I see at the moment is for Konami to nail the AI and force EA's hand. Rutter and EA have essentially proven that footballing realism is not a requirement for massive sales numbers. Since our voice apparently matters little, our best chance is that Konami can show that depth, authenticity, intelligence, fundamentals, etc. matter to the market.

Good realistic gameplay isn't necessary to make massive sales if you have lots of nice animations, gubbins, and licenses, and no competition for sure. Konami are the gamechanger here though, that's for sure.

Anyway, Rutter is in Guildford on Monday - hopefully we'll be able to extract something.

The reason players look lost in those situations is the whole two people in the air thing. I was just playing and noticed it way too much, it's so damn annoying. One player reacts to the ball 90% of the time. I've noticed it with the knock on too, I knock it on and it comes 'off' my player and attaches to a new one who was near, but not running or really in the play.

Another stupid choice by EA, they really want to appeal everyone

from a recenty fifa 12 build, this is from an Italian forum
now there are two options for defending "TACTICAL DEFENDING" and "Legacy Mode".
Basically we can still choose to maintain legacy defending system, the same as fifa 11 :FAIL:

I saw this in June but thought it was probably best not to talk about this, but as it's now been said by someone (presumably breaking embargo but who the hell cares about that, IGN blatantly don't) - I really can't express how pathetic it would be if this 'legacy' option is still in when the game releases.

It's astounding how weak EA are sometimes. They have no guts. I'm sure it will be a case like with pro passing (you can't change it online) but it's just ridiculous how timid they are all the time. They will put in endless little things to cater for the most casual of casual player, but they have spent an incredibly small amount of time just fixing manual, for example.

Those CM pictures, "the youth academy" have gotten me excited again for FIFA12. This also:

"Details about the improved Career Mode have also been released, and there's plenty of new features to explore. But it's the level of detail that seems most impressive at first glance. Career mode will allow you, if you wish, to get involved in every aspect of the game – from hiring scouts to source young talent to selecting a squad in the light of a gloomy physio report.

This time round the transfer window has been realised with greater fidelity, too. Players can now choose to 'stall' on a negotiation, and are in general more aggressive and intelligent in their demands. But this level of detail isn't limited to static menu screens; it spills over into the commentary, creating an even greater sense of realism. "

Looks like it's all in the details for Career Mode this year which I love. Physio reports, morale, form, transfer requests, scout reports, injuries, extended transfer negotiations,... It's looking more like Football Manager... :D

Back
Top Bottom