FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

You're right - FIFA players are accustomed to playing the FIFA way. My younger cousin came over and played some PES the other night. he tried to play it like FIFA (basically holding down the sprint button) and he kept losing the ball. He noticed the passing wouldn't go straight to a player without effort like it does on FIFA.

It took me a while to get out of the FIFA habit when learning PES. You know what though - now I go back to play FIFA, but playing it like PES and I'm much better at FIFA. Easier against humans than CPU and it's harder to find good runs off the ball with FIFA just as it's harder to penetrate with a pass or through ball on the ground. I find that you have to be a LOT more patient in waiting for someone to move into space.

But in conclusion, I think if you learn to play football instead of just learning to exploit a game, then you can be good at both FIFA and PES, whereas there are guys in both parties who will only ever be good at one game because they learn how to beat the game, rather than understanding the fundamentals of football. Until EA learn these, FIFA's full potential will not be unlocked, unfortunately.

Hey, is it possible for EA to expand trigger run by :
1. Using right stick to select player then press trigger button
2. Based on stats, he will try to either open spaces for dribbling or passing option.

Coz in the vision video i wonder what triggers the winger for sprinting, since 1-2 or normal triggered run do not seem to initiate it by the look of it :NO:

Hey, is it possible for EA to expand trigger run by :
1. Using right stick to select player then press trigger button
2. Based on stats, he will try to either open spaces for dribbling or passing option.

Coz in the vision video i wonder what triggers the winger for sprinting, since 1-2 or normal triggered run do not seem to initiate it by the look of it :NO:

In FIFA11 you can select which player you wish to trigger a run for by quickly moving the left stick in the direction of a teammate, and then pressing L1. Not sure if this was what you meant. The right stick is always dedicated to knockons with the right stick so not ideal for this. And the left stick, if your player is inbetween touches, can be quickly moved towards a teammate, and then back to the direction of movement before your player will change direction, so in most cases it won't really intrude on your left stick movement too much.

I very rarely touch LB when I have the ball. If you're patient and delay on the ball for a moment, you can usually wait for the run you want. I don't like the forced one-two either, one-twos have always been so overpowered in football games. I stopped using it in PES4.

I think the only thing I use LB for (in possession) is that stop-and-face-up dribble thing.

You're right - FIFA players are accustomed to playing the FIFA way. My younger cousin came over and played some PES the other night. he tried to play it like FIFA (basically holding down the sprint button) and he kept losing the ball. He noticed the passing wouldn't go straight to a player without effort like it does on FIFA.

It took me a while to get out of the FIFA habit when learning PES. You know what though - now I go back to play FIFA, but playing it like PES and I'm much better at FIFA. Easier against humans than CPU and it's harder to find good runs off the ball with FIFA just as it's harder to penetrate with a pass or through ball on the ground. I find that you have to be a LOT more patient in waiting for someone to move into space.

But in conclusion, I think if you learn to play football instead of just learning to exploit a game, then you can be good at both FIFA and PES, whereas there are guys in both parties who will only ever be good at one game because they learn how to beat the game, rather than understanding the fundamentals of football. Until EA learn these, FIFA's full potential will not be unlocked, unfortunately.

Bold part, seems to happen with everyone I know (including me). Not sure if it's just a weird phenomenon or if it's due to the nature of each game... Probably the later.

I wish space would open up in FIFA when you play against the CPU. If the AI was better I would enjoy offline games much more. But I've been holding a lot of posession lately and stringing together some moves and a couple of guys I played online had a hard time doing much against me. This was on FIFA world cup mind you...I traded FIFA 11 a few months back. I downloaded the demo again coz I got the urge to play haha

And me, saw that on Rutter's twitter, the press coverage better start with an apology from Rutter and co for the abomination of 10/11's MM/CM.

In FIFA11 you can select which player you wish to trigger a run for by quickly moving the left stick in the direction of a teammate, and then pressing L1. Not sure if this was what you meant. The right stick is always dedicated to knockons with the right stick so not ideal for this. And the left stick, if your player is inbetween touches, can be quickly moved towards a teammate, and then back to the direction of movement before your player will change direction, so in most cases it won't really intrude on your left stick movement too much.

Ye i know for the left stick + L1.. but isn't it only for team mate closer to us rather than behind us?

Let's say if EA haven't yet nail the ai to make run for spaces, overlapping, covering empty spaces when defending.. i'd like too see more option in trigger run button.

I'd like to see my wb/lb make overlapping run when i am already in the wing trying to go past opponent. So trigger run for team mate behind us.

I play it on PC though, so not sure how team mate ai goes in FIFA 11 console :))

Last edited:
Testing the thing again with no NDA on Monday and as I already know the build (unless they have worked wonders) from the previous test, I will be letting Peeps know ASAP, some good new features and some that could be good with minor tweaks we raised...

Nice one Nick. One of the minor things I hope they changed is the scouts list. I don't want to go looking for my shortlisted players in the search area. I hope they're added to a list that can be accessed easily.

Nice one Nick. One of the minor things I hope they changed is the scouts list. I don't want to go looking for my shortlisted players in the search area. I hope they're added to a list that can be accessed easily.

Ease of menu's and functionality was high on the list...

Any chance of us sharing in that knowledge? Twitter? Facebook? :D

I'll be Tweeting my thumbs off @cave_nick (fell out with facebook) and posting in here too, no pick's or vid's allowed though unfortunately..

Any questions on CM just post in here or I'm sure Lami will find a spot for them, otherwise I and fellow Evo guys will try to cover as much as we can..

Think we are still expecting Mr R to make an appearance too...

Last edited:

Searching needs massive improvement, you should be able to search by height, by strong foot, certainly by more than just two numerical categories, when you search by overall you then only have one spare stat search, really dumb, and it'd be nice if a long search doesn't lose you access to EA's servers every fucking time!

Ease of menu's and functionality was high on the list...

I'll be Tweeting my thumbs off @cave_nick (fell out with facebook) and posting in here too, no pick's or vid's allowed though unfortunately..

Any questions on CM just post in here or I'm sure Lami will find a spot for them, otherwise I and fellow Evo guys will try to cover as much as we can..

Think we are still expecting Mr R to make an appearance too...

I've just created a thread for this now. Please use it fellas for any questions you got regarding CM 2012. Should make it easier for Nick, and us.

CM 2012 Questions thread.

Hmm Mr R there on Monday, should be interesting to see who speaks up..

I remember the tumble weeds from my Emirates question last year...:P

You just know that when you ask the first critical question he'll be looking at you with a "Oh no, not that to$$er again!..." expression.

Go Nick!

Searching needs massive improvement, you should be able to search by height, by strong foot, certainly by more than just two numerical categories, when you search by overall you then only have one spare stat search, really dumb, and it'd be nice if a long search doesn't lose you access to EA's servers every fucking time!
I hate being limited to 50 results. And, ironically, the shortlist is too short! Sometimes the search resets one of your settings on its own (like max wage/value). You can't even do something obvious like compare players, you have to open one bio, close it, open another bio... it's all just yet another triumph of dreadful UI.

Yeah whenever you click onto the bidding screen on a player from the search results it always resets the max price/wage.

In previous Fifas you could scroll up and down players using the right stick so you could get your search results, choose the "page" with height/footedness and then scroll up and down to find the right height/footedness of the player you're after, for some reason removed in 11...

Having made the defending more of a skill, have they reduced the tackling radius?? I'd like to know if this applies to keepers as well. They develop Inspector Gadget arms anytime the ball is on the ground and you're trying to go around them.

people don't think they're messi, you idiot! people play fifa because of the following reasons:

1. its funny

2. when the weather is bad, u can go inside and STILL play football.

3. maybe you can do things in fifa, that you can't do in real football.

4. you're feeling great, when you for example is the manager for Man United, in careermode/managermode, or when your virtual pro, is playing and maybe scoring for a great club!

- everyone thumps up so this dumb idiot can see what i mean!

he's right. But please tell this to EA who keep shelling out crap saying it's the best simulation of football!

Back
Top Bottom