FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

Wow just had a quick read through our Physics lesson, I hope there isn't a homework assignment I speed read most of it.. :P

:LOL:

I actually quite enjoyed the lesson, it went over my head with so much momentum that it's subsequent inertia will prove profound. :CONFUSE:

I personally dont know how this debate started. The issues with Fifa with regards it's unnatural movement is as plain as night and day. You dont need to be either Issac or Eddie Newton to see this ffs.

I admit I was getting exasperated because of what was being said in reply. For us the issues are blatant, and the need for the weight transfer to be (a) consistent and (b) a key part of how you are supposed to attack and defend is self evident when you watch football. But we have been talking about it at length in here for over a year now and we have a lot of experience with other games that do actually make use of momentum. Not everyone does though, so you do still get people that don't see what benefit it brings or how it could be done.

The problem is that people think the two are mutually exclusive. Sure there's a point where in order to get more responsive you have to ditch momentum entirely, but they are not opposite ends of the same spectrum like fast and slow. You can have responsive and weighty gameplay.

Nick my three biggest issues would probably be:
-----------------------------

On the whole Momentum thing that has been going on in here - I think it's only Glen that has another view of it, so I'm not sure we have to go much deeper in this discussion (no offence Glen).

None taken and as everyone says really not necessary.

We all think the same thing and that is that a player has to look like they are having appropriate forces acting on them.

My only concern is that with out the right sort of animations it could make it quite frustrating if you can't see why a player is having to slow down before making a turn etc.

I don't think that's really that difficult for people to understand. If it wasn't for the fact that so many people have been brainwashed by the last few FIFAs into thinking it was normal to have players moving as if they have no inertia to overcome, they'd probably think it was odd. Everyone watches football in real life and everyone moves and runs around in real life (pretty much): they'll get it.

Obviously, the animations need to be reasonable, it might look a bit odd if they try to cram any old system into the current animations, but I personally see momentum/inertia being handled correctly as more important than the animations at this stage.

Last edited:
Exactly. Animations are secondary to the outcome. Ideally you'd want them to tally up as well as possible but it's far easier for the brain to accept a consistent and authentic momentum system than process a dubious and erratic one that has animations that attempt to rationalise the dodgy calculations going on behind the scenes. We'd far sooner have players use a less than perfect header animation to clear a cross away from danger, than have our defender just leave the ball for the striker to score because aesthetically there isn't a jump type that quite suits where the ball is.

The theory behind what you're seeing on-screen is more important (to me at least) than how smooth it all looks - I'd gladly put up with "robotic" or ugly animations if it means momentum/inertia can be apparent in the gameplay.

A lot of odd things happen in the FM engine, I wouldn't want to play it as I would with PES.

The AI positioning, runs and tactical options are great, as well as the player individuality, but some of the actual football that goes on is quite weird, look here;

YouTube - FM11 - Liverpool vs Man Utd - Sneijder Goal 13th minute

35 yard swerving rocket whilst moonwalking? :FAIL:

Ahh yes, typical goal from that player Michael Jackson. Brilliant signing he is.

You can get him for just 50 million at the beginning of the game as well from This local American team called Neverland Youth FC. Fantastic technique, moves quicker than Messi.

But you HAVE to be quick, as his price skyrockets after a season and usual City buy him for 300 million or something)

Hate to do it but put aside any opinions about the rest of the game, focus on this issue and look at PES's trailer at 1 min 16 seconds:
YouTube - PES 2012 - gameplay only HD

Defender against attacker. They're battling, the defender is containing, the attacker is tryingto throw him and can potentially get himself half a yard to play in a cross or open up the angle for a pass.

YouTube - Fifa 12 leaked video with new features and gameplay

FIFA 12. Defender against attacker. The movement is instant, the reaction times are zero, the defender is never fazed in the slightest. There's push-pull in the physicality and on the back of the box, but not in the mental battle or positioning of the players.

You can hopefully see in these two different approaches just why that sudden (and illogical) turn in that FIFA 11 vid didn't fool the CPU in the slightest. Not enough momentum, no reaction times.

You should post this in the GC forum, and while you're at it email it to all the devs. Addressing FIFA player movement physics might just be the number one obstacle between the game feeling like a more authentic representation of football rather than an arcade-oriented game.

Though they're important, I can wait another year for EA to address poor first touch, preferred foot, and some other issues related to fundamentals, but I don't know that I'll be able to take another year of FIFA if the player movement physics are not improved.

Even if they don't have time to institute a realistic movement engine, surely just adding a pause to drastic changes in direction and slowing down a player's turning/pivoting radius would be a substantial improvement. That might be an oversimplification of the issue but I'm desperate for some sort of improvement.

Hmm doubt it will be for full match control as kinect uses way too much of the 360's CPU, will probably be for some kind of mini games or other stuff, maybe penalties possibly...

Ahh yes, typical goal from that player Michael Jackson. Brilliant signing he is.

You can get him for just 50 million at the beginning of the game as well from This local American team called Neverland Youth FC. Fantastic technique, moves quicker than Messi.

But you HAVE to be quick, as his price skyrockets after a season and usual City buy him for 300 million or something)

I think you'll find that he now plays for Fulham FC...

I really doubt it as the CPU impact of using kinect would mean that the graphics and everything that moves on screen would have to be majorly toned down from the graphics we know and "love" in Fifa's, look at all the kinect games released to date, there's a reason they all look like shit ;)

LOL, you guys are going to love this E3 trailer...

They have comments from various people regarding the game. Some gems:
Ole Gunnar: "It gives me a strong overview of the teams I'm playing against."
Jack Wilshere "If you don't really know something about a player, you can see if they're right or left footed and it helps you going into the game."

The fact that these idiots put out the idea that FIFA is realistic should be grounds for false advertising. EA is really trying to sell this as a sim game...

lol lil wayne and drake playing fifa!!!!!!!!!!!!

dear o dear!!!!

Exactly :FAIL:

Just seen the madden conference. IF, i say IF!! They put as much effort into the gamplay of their games as they do with their outstanding presentations, image how awesome their games would be!!!

Jack Wilshere "If you don't really know something about a player, you can see if they're right or left footed and it helps you going into the game."

You can also see how good a players first touch is, or general movement, or who much he uses his stronger foot when dribbling, or how good his passing is,

oh wait... :CONFUSE:

Jack wilshere is a bit of a fifa fanboy though in real life. the guy plays in none stop so i bet he was actually SERIOUS when he said than and not PAID to say that

Back
Top Bottom