Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Typical that a thread supposed to be about the latest release of a video game turns into a series of petty "the world is against us" comments by Man Utd fans.

pff its why i stay way clear of this thread. too much arguing and little actual info. hard to find news in this thread

I bet most of you ain't even from the area anyway!

Go off to the footy thread if you are going to spout crap in here. There's enough of that already!! ;)

Did I read in here that only 1/5 of the players in the game have the Personality+ feature associated with them? I guess that means the rest are all androids. Or have I just got that from a dream I had. Or didn't have, as the case may be.

We'll cut this bit.
I think we can solve this with some simple logic.

You think you read it in here.
None of us have read anything of the sort.

Must have been one strange dream. Were Leonardo Di Caprio and Ellen Page there at all?

It'd be good if we had some ideas for how the online system should work - like an overall system that's user friendly and helps you actually find games. Also stuff like how to encourage people to use different teams without punishing them (too much) for using the same side. Rather than forcing you not to pick Barcelona, encourage people to pick Tottenham/St Pauli/Benfica.

For starters, the boys at EA should figure out what Bungie do for their matchmaking and find a way to adopt something like it for Online Team Play.

There's no telling what they've done really but FIFA 09's OTP mode actually allowed you to create a lobby, get into said lobby before everyone else, and then wait a reasonable amount of time while watching it fill up. FIFA 10 for some reason had some sort of pause while the game loaded online rosters or something that seemed to take so long sometimes that you'd never get the captaincy when you finally got into the game. Add to that the issue with the filters making it impossible to find a game/make on that others could join.

It has to be down to a coding error because choosing anything besides ANY will never find you anything. You HAVE to play on the defaults. Try to jump into a random 10 v 10 and oftentimes you're met with "game no longer available" because it's filled up somehow before you got in. Forget playing with your buddies in someone else's room. And I doubt that people have enough XBL friends on FIFA to set up private BAP matches, and you shouldn't have to do that anyway.

It's like they put all of their effort into clubs and even that has it's issues.

Any news on OTP getting some sort of revamp or fix? They claimed that there wasn't an issue but it was like night and day comparing 09 to 10. One of them I could play and in the other I spent more time trying to find a game than I did actually playing in one.

For starters, the boys at EA should figure out what Bungie do for their matchmaking and find a way to adopt something like it for Online Team Play.

There's no telling what they've done really but FIFA 09's OTP mode actually allowed you to create a lobby, get into said lobby before everyone else, and then wait a reasonable amount of time while watching it fill up. FIFA 10 for some reason had some sort of pause while the game loaded online rosters or something that seemed to take so long sometimes that you'd never get the captaincy when you finally got into the game. Add to that the issue with the filters making it impossible to find a game/make on that others could join.

It has to be down to a coding error because choosing anything besides ANY will never find you anything. You HAVE to play on the defaults. Try to jump into a random 10 v 10 and oftentimes you're met with "game no longer available" because it's filled up somehow before you got in. Forget playing with your buddies in someone else's room. And I doubt that people have enough XBL friends on FIFA to set up private BAP matches, and you shouldn't have to do that anyway.

It's like they put all of their effort into clubs and even that has it's issues.

Any news on OTP getting some sort of revamp or fix? They claimed that there wasn't an issue but it was like night and day comparing 09 to 10. One of them I could play and in the other I spent more time trying to find a game than I did actually playing in one.

Fuck playing OTP with randoms. Disgrace of a game due to selfish showpony little shits. At least in a club you can tell people to sort their act out. Cannot play the mode with randoms at all.

Had my rant on the EA forum and thought I'd pose the question here...

From EA podcast: On main menu screen there is a giant jumbotron that will display a leaderboard for career mode that will show you how well you are doing compared to your friends.

Why have a leader board to see how your off line CM has gone against your friends, to me that's more time and effort taken away from CM... If they want to go down that route put up online mode stats against other players online mode stats?...

I heard that and thought I'd miss heard it in the PC, Is it just me or is that pointless or am I missing something...

I could understand it if you were doing identical Careers but it's impossible to replicate that, or if it was online and they were opposing managers but to me it's pointless filler fluff..
And the fact you can see your online buddies won the quad again with Manchester united for the sixth season in a row, while you're in a battle with injuries (please for all that's good have fixed these this year) in division 2, with no money is as I said.. Pointless... :ROLL:

I know kids love leaderboards online, I get that but for an off line mode?...

Last edited:
We assumed they'd be doing something with that screen...

It's extremely unlikely that it's just for career mode. I'd expect it to cycle through stuff which includes Career mode. They're already doing a lot of work on the online aspect of the game (see EAfootballworld for example). All this would be doing is acting as an interface with data that already exists.

I don't get it. When it comes to atmosphere and getting the real feeling if you know what I mean, Fifa is so far behind other EA Sports titles. Why is that?!

Just look at the NHL and NBA series. And let's not forget NFL 11, those trophy celebrations are the coolest ever to be in a sports game.

Off Topic: I've got two questions, probably some things I should know, but I just want to be sure.
First, when all of you play with your VP online (clubs?) does it lag quite a bit? Not stuttering, but there is a noticeable delay from the time you choose your action to the time it's executed.
And second, what does all the shorthand you're all using mean. I assume clubs is for your VP, but there are some others (drawing a blank now) I couldn't get.

On Topic, I guess: I just tried to play FIFA10 again, but I just can't. I recently sold 99% of my 360 games, and I'm regretting not selling FIFA10 then. I feel like I'm playing the same game every time, and then if I decide to go online with my VP, I can never play a game where there is four people swarming the ball with pressure the whole time, 6'7" strikers with pink hair, yellow gloves, and red shoes. I believe I play my position (whatever I end up getting, prefer to stay on the wings) decently. I try to play as if I was really playing, but it quickly turns to shit because people want to fuck around (own goals, CB running around midfield with the ball, lack of passing, etc.). I tried looking for a club, but I never seemed to find one, none were ever active.

Playing the 25 or whatever amount of games for the colored shoe unlock was fucking ridiculous. There were so many times I wanted to smash my 360. I'm on the fence about FIFA11 right now, I don't see any other games I'll be buying soon though, so I may end up grabbing it anyway.

I know most of you have said this, just wanted to throw my two cents out.

Off Topic: I've got two questions, probably some things I should know, but I just want to be sure.
First, when all of you play with your VP online (clubs?) does it lag quite a bit? Not stuttering, but there is a noticeable delay from the time you choose your action to the time it's executed.
And second, what does all the shorthand you're all using mean. I assume clubs is for your VP, but there are some others (drawing a blank now) I couldn't get.

I know most of you have said this, just wanted to throw my two cents out.

On the shorthand do you mean CM and PM, PC etc, they are modes in FIFA 11, Manager Mode or MM in FIFA 10 is replaced with Career Mode or CM , in this are Manager Mode, yes confusing and very very similar to MM in FIFA10, Player Mode and Player Manager mode..

The PC in my post was referring to a Pod Cast! Hope that helps?...

Man that sounded confusing to me now... :P

On the FIFA 10 game-play and every team seaming to play the same, this is something we have banged on at EA about, along with the player individuality, this is hopefully addressed mainly through Personality+ and better AI...

The proof will be in the pudding so to speak...

Well the AI will probably play a bit different now that it calculates the attacking passing route different by judging risk/reward or whatever they said. Different from FIFA 10 that is, it should also play a bit different team to team I think if Personality+ (the bloody attributes) comes in to play too. So that when the CPU controls Xavi he might look for a more risky pass than he would with someone that have low pass skill.

I think I'm missing the point of the questions thread... is it just to get more preview info ahead of release? Or is it actually questions for EA themselves? Because if it's the former, I already know I'll end up buying the game, so it sort of makes little difference :CONF:

Some of the lads here will be at the Fifa event in 23-24 of this month. It's a very good chance to get feedback from genuine people, and not just videos of people who love being on cam.

Well the AI will probably play a bit different now that it calculates the attacking passing route different by judging risk/reward or whatever they said. Different from FIFA 10 that is, it should also play a bit different team to team I think if Personality+ (the bloody attributes) comes in to play too. So that when the CPU controls Xavi he might look for a more risky pass than he would with someone that have low pass skill.

Yep. Many are underestimating the Personility+ feature. I was a doubter at first but when EA started talking about it effect EVERYTHING about a play from the movement to stats and looks, and even in star cases, animations, I soon started to imagine what P+ actually meant.

In FIFA 10 most teams played the same because very few of the attributes made a physical difference on the pitch. Everyone could pass pretty accurately and recieve the ball with little fuss. Every player felt in full control of the ball. Strikers could tackle like defenders. It really was "vanilla" interms of individuality". It is infact hard for me to play nowadays which is a shame.

If EA deliver what they're promising, the tackling should be only truly effective with top class defenders with the new "perimeter of effectiveness" on a tackle. Top class midfielder should be able to hold onto the ball even when pressured in the centre with 360 degrees of interaction and the ball control attribute. Strikers should be making the runs without prompt with the new attacking trait (apart from Berbs :LOL:).

I'm really looking forward to playing it next week and seeing if all this has come together in a neat package.

Yes, thanks Nick, that's exactly what I was wondering about, I didn't know MM was changing :P Also didn't know stats weren't actually 'working', explains so much. Been following the thread for a while, must have missed all that stuff though.

If this Personality+ stuff actually works I guess I'll be off the fence.

The faces for the U.S. ...wow vela!?!

FIFA_11.jpg

On the FIFA 10 game-play and every team seaming to play the same, this is something we have banged on at EA about, along with the player individuality, this is hopefully addressed mainly through Personality+ and better AI...

The proof will be in the pudding so to speak...

The custom tactics did help a bit. However the main problem was, for me, that even when playing a poor team and having them set-up to be defensive and longball they still played too far up the pitch in possesion. Teams were far too open (and you ST always being able to collect the ball). Atleast I could get rid of the ridiculous pressure levels and actually keep possesion at teh back without 2 players constantly hassleing me.

Had my rant on the EA forum and thought I'd pose the question here...

From EA podcast: On main menu screen there is a giant jumbotron that will display a leaderboard for career mode that will show you how well you are doing compared to your friends.

Why have a leader board to see how your off line CM has gone against your friends, to me that's more time and effort taken away from CM... If they want to go down that route put up online mode stats against other players online mode stats?...

I heard that and thought I'd miss heard it in the PC, Is it just me or is that pointless or am I missing something...

I could understand it if you were doing identical Careers but it's impossible to replicate that, or if it was online and they were opposing managers but to me it's pointless filler fluff..
And the fact you can see your online buddies won the quad again with Manchester united for the sixth season in a row, while you're in a battle with injuries (please for all that's good have fixed these this year) in division 2, with no money is as I said.. Pointless... :ROLL:

I know kids love leaderboards online, I get that but for an off line mode?...

I know! Man hearing this got my blood boiling. Not only does it sound like just a dumb idea, for all the reasons you mentioned, but I'm getting sick and tired hearing about all the so-called "improvements" over MM the new CM will be when so many of these new additions are gimmicks that no hardcore MM'er would care about, like BAP.

I sometimes feel like MM was the only mode in which EA was not catering to the kiddies - which is why it sucked lately, I'm sure - but now these silly online features are finding their way into CM.

(I would like to point out, the leaderboards are Marcel's idea. If he's the main guy behind CM evolution, and this is any indication of the direction he intends to take the mode, man I'm worried.)

BAP is no gimmick, much more realistic to only control one player and only be manager for the rest, otherwise they all play like you :SMUG:

Also, although it's fantastic that there is a manual leaderboard now but why not a semi leaderboard. As a mainly semi user it looks like I'm having to face fully assisted abusers again. I'm sure pro passing will help but I doubt if it will be enough.

On a better note, great that tournaments are now introduced into CLUBS mode

The quitting could be a huge problem if it's like UT tourneys.

BAP is no gimmick, much more realistic to only control one player and only be manager for the rest, otherwise they all play like you :SMUG:

I meant gimmick from the perspective of someone interested in traditional MM-style game mode.

I have no interest giving-up my ability to control all 11 players on the pitch, let alone the management choices, so my point was that including BaP in MM does nothing for MM'ers like myself.

When I'm interested in playing only as one player, I usually go play the real thing.

Last edited:
I meant gimmick from the perspective of someone interested in traditional MM-style game mode.

I have no interest giving-up my ability to control all 11 players on the pitch, let alone the management choices, so my point was that including BaP in MM does nothing for MM'ers like myself.

When I'm interested in playing only as one player, I usually go play the real thing.

Ive never bothered with BAP, but I think the positive aspect is that they are merging the modes together. This means a more focused approach to the single/offline part of the game. Instead of having to do stuff for MM and stuff for BAP it's now all in one system which should hopefully focus the resources and enable more improvements per year.

Isn't the big improvement for BAP that you now can do 15 seasons? I remember one of the games only allowed you to do 4 but can't remember if they changed that for 10.

As for the score board, does anybody have a picture? Or can they tell me where it's situated? Having a general comparison to friends for all modes/matches is fine by me, as long as it doesn't become a main menu in CM.

I don't think the old BAP mode and Career BAP mode have anything in common except that you control one player only. At least that is what I'm hoping to be the case.

Seems like Donovan played FIFA 11 on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.

Last edited:
The custom tactics did help a bit. However the main problem was, for me, that even when playing a poor team and having them set-up to be defensive and longball they still played too far up the pitch in possesion. Teams were far too open (and you ST always being able to collect the ball). Atleast I could get rid of the ridiculous pressure levels and actually keep possesion at teh back without 2 players constantly hassleing me.

I'm hoping this new system in 11 makes the difference between the divisions more obvious too, it was odd in the game going out feeling you could beat Manchester United and Chelsea far easier than Exeter and Bury... :CONFUSE:

I don't think the old BAP mode and Career BAP mode have anything in common except that you control one player only. At least that is what I'm hoping to be the case.

Seems like Donovan played FIFA 11 on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.

I'm thinking BAP players will be in seventh heaven, this is by far the biggest improvement in 11, shame it's not for the most played form of the game... :P

Back
Top Bottom