Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Re: Fifa 11

Q: Is Interceptions a trait?
A: Shit, didn't check! Might be reactions dependent.

I can comment on this despite not having played it. I'm a stat reviewer and 'Reading interceptions' is a new attribute added this year, along with another which I've forgotten.

I can comment on this despite not having played it. I'm a stat reviewer and 'Reading interceptions' is a new attribute added this year, along with another which I've forgotten.

The other one is 'Attacking position', I'm a data reviewer 2.

Blimey. ^^^ Top work.

You guys make sure the trick stats are given out properly now, y'hear? I don't want to see James Milner doing triple rabonas this year ;).

Have they taken any attributes out when adding these new ones? It seems like there are a lot already, there must be some that can be combined. Can you really grade players on 99 different levels of Curve? I'm not convinced it's necessary to separate Stand/Sliding tackles, either. 'Reading interceptions' seems unnecessarily specific.

Although having said that there are some more attributes I think are missing (unless they're hidden), like an overall Technique attribute, or Composure, or Consistency...

There is a Technique isn't there? Or is it just ball control?

I agree about composure. It'd be a good way to distinguish between a seasoned veteran and a talented youngster. Currently it's all built into the single rating for each attribute.

Edit: EA did review the attributes they use to decide which ones to keep and which to ditch. I have to be honest, I didn't really investigate the attribute or traits lists. It wasn't something I felt I could influence compared to actual gameplay so I prioritised!

Last edited:

Sounds promising. I like the fact that they're improving the game by basically making it play worse.

Was there a sense that playing as lower league teams like Accrington would mean endless scrappy play and very few goals?

Do cpu players still have instant reactions and go instantly from standing to top speed?

Is cpu defensive tactic to just barge into you and win the ball 100% of the time? Do they win every standing tackle they go in for?

Does every cpu team still play the tactic of booting the ball straight the striker in the centre circle and the ball always goes straight to him 100% of the time?

Whatever attributes they include, make sure they document and publish the effect each one has, particularly if they now actually have an effect.

Sounds promising. I like the fact that they're improving the game by basically making it play worse.

1.Was there a sense that playing as lower league teams like Accrington would mean endless scrappy play and very few goals?

2.Do cpu players still have instant reactions and go instantly from standing to top speed?

3.Is cpu defensive tactic to just barge into you and win the ball 100% of the time? Do they win every standing tackle they go in for?

4.Does every cpu team still play the tactic of booting the ball straight the striker in the centre circle and the ball always goes straight to him 100% of the time?

5.Whatever attributes they include, make sure they document and publish the effect each one has, particularly if they now actually have an effect.

1. Not as scrappy as I'd like, I think I said somewhere above. There was the feeling that passing was extremely slow, as was turning. I'd like passing accuracy to be off a bit more for the bottom clubs like this just so that when the opponent gets up to a certain standard you are even more inclined to hoof the ball than currently.

2. Only had a very brief sample of CPU AI and don't know what level it was at. The standing to top speed doesn't happen in FIFA 10 or WC so I'd assume it isn't in FIFA 11 either.

3(a) Dunno. Didn't seem like it but Dave797's thread is probably the way to go. (b) No.

4. Dunno but I highly doubt it. The logic is set up to be worse at reading the ball trajectories so that it's a lot less clear cut than FIFA 10/WC 2010's 60 yard lob onto the chest of a running striker.

5. I don't know about document and publish the effect! But given that there are reviewers in our midst I'd have thought they are given descriptions of what each stat means; maybe they could find out if they're allowed to tell us. ;)

Great great info, Romagnoli, that's a lot of useful information very well written and with important details. It's the stuff you would expect briliant journalism should be publishing. A great reason to be in this forums.

Thank you very much.

No worries dude. I'll try and get more done tomorrow; I've been pretty knackered all day.

There is a Technique isn't there? Or is it just ball control?

I agree about composure. It'd be a good way to distinguish between a seasoned veteran and a talented youngster. Currently it's all built into the single rating for each attribute.

Yeah I've been really hoping they'd bring in a composure stat, which I would see as a stat that influences all stats in the final third/penalty area (first touch, passing, heading etc., excluding stats which are already made for the final third like finishing and crossing). Another I would like is one that I believe they are bringing in (?) Concentration (or consistency) which I would see as governing how often a player completely miss-hits a ball, as opposed to accuracy ratings which I don't believe governs mis-hits per se.

Also a non gameplay related question - I've been harping on the FIFA menus for a few years now as I always thought that pro-had them done right when it comes to attribute comparison windows, a color coded attribute system (80-90 yellow, 90-95 orange, 95-100 red, etc) would really make viewing and comparing players attributes much easier, and now that attributes actually matter a lot more this will be even more important and make our lives easier. They had actually started doing this in ultimate team, so I'm slightly hopeful that they might start doing this in the regular game - Romagnoli have you noticed any change here, and if not (if you agree) can you mention this to the developers?

The logic is set up to be worse at reading the ball trajectories so that it's a lot less clear cut than FIFA 10/WC 2010's 60 yard lob onto the chest of a running striker.
Is it still fun-suckingly easy to roll a simple pass into your strikers' feet at any time?

Yeah I've been really hoping they'd bring in a composure stat, which I would see as a stat that influences all stats in the final third/penalty area (first touch, passing, heading etc., excluding stats which are already made for the final third like finishing and crossing). Another I would like is one that I believe they are bringing in (?) Concentration (or consistency) which I would see as governing how often a player completely miss-hits a ball, as opposed to accuracy ratings which I don't believe governs mis-hits per se.
I think Technique, Composure and Consistency should be sort of overall attributes that influence all ball-playing actions.

Technique could be an overall modifier on any attempt to perform a first-time action on the ball, e.g. first touch control, first-time shot/pass, volley, etc. It would also affect passes/shots at difficult angles & speeds, and chipping the keeper. My impression is that this is how Pro Evo's works?

I agree that a Composure stat should affect any ball-playing action taken when in the final third/penalty area, but perhaps also any ball-playing action attempted when under pressure from a defender? That means you could ruffle a low-composure player by getting in his face and being aggressive, forcing mistakes, but the really calm players can still play around you under pressure, can still finish clinically with a defender all over them.

Concentration/Consistency could be an overall modifier applied to each and every action on the pitch. Consistent players always execute to the best of their ability; inconsistent players are prone to error.

Has the awful jockey animation been replaced? Not a major one but it is so annoying!!

The game sounds a big improvement on last years, hopefully we won't be let down this year

Thanks for all the updates Rom. Great job.

was just wondering the same thing after seeing the new PES animation, the Fifa 10 animation is bizarre, best described as a monkey impression in my opinion.

Rom,

Nice write up dude!
Have any of your answers you gave me changed now you've played a more recent build, namely the questions below?

Rom,

Q1: Do defenders still stand a mile off the attacker allowing him lots of time to gather the ball and turn?
A:I didn't think so. However the defensive lines hadn't been fixed yet - Gary P said so from the off when they listed a number of known bugs with the build we had.

Q2: Did you get to try the custom net addition?
A:I only heard about it today - sounds awesome doesn't it?

Q5: Can you hit low hard shots from inside the box?
A:I thought you could. However it's also something that's been raised via EA's Dev Task system alongside those higher, dipping shots I mentioned in a thread recently.

Q10: Do your AI team mates make runs toward the ball or backwards into space rather than always forward?
A:I thought so, but it was 6 weeks ago and I wasn't organised to write stuff down at the time..! Not so much lateral movements as people staying back to receive passes (low attacking work rate etc). Don't hold me to that as it is a surreal environment, playing a 50% build in a room full of other people, trying to spot as many issues to raise with devs as possible. If I get a second play then I'll look at this specifically, as well as a few other things, to pass on to Gary. The runs back/sideways are something I raised as lacking in WC2010 after the trip, but I didn't manage to assess it at length at the time.

Is it still fun-suckingly easy to roll a simple pass into your strikers' feet at any time?

No. The passes are slower and the marking is much better to begin with, so the best you can hope for in that situation is that the attacker shields the defender off and lays the ball back to a midfielder for the shot. EA really have tightened up how proactive and aware the defence is. There was some slight glitchiness in the jockeying (didn't notice any difference in the animation for moving forwards) but even with that in mind I didn't have any problems with defenders running away from the striker and letting them turn unchallenged.

Stuartyd, hopefully that covers your Q1 too.

Do the keeper run out as soon as I press the button? Sometimes he just refuses to, and other times he takes his time.

Heh.. Well, obviously I'm the one in control and would want him to do as I want, not becoming rebellious :P

No. The passes are slower and the marking is much better to begin with, so the best you can hope for in that situation is that the attacker shields the defender off and lays the ball back to a midfielder for the shot. EA really have tightened up how proactive and aware the defence is. There was some slight glitchiness in the jockeying (didn't notice any difference in the animation for moving forwards) but even with that in mind I didn't have any problems with defenders running away from the striker and letting them turn unchallenged.

Stuartyd, hopefully that covers your Q1 too.

This is key and I'm happy some work has been done on the defensive aspect of the game.

Stuartyd said:
Q2: Did you get to try the custom net addition?
A:I only heard about it today - sounds awesome doesn't it?
It's basically the square net and goal frame, but the back edge of the roof is much closer to the crossbar. Only hit the net once but not in a way that could really show it off. Not sure if the looseness is Football Kingdom stuff just yet!

Q5: Can you hit low hard shots from inside the box?
A:I thought you could. However it's also something that's been raised via EA's Dev Task system alongside those higher, dipping shots I mentioned in a thread recently.
It's about the same as WC2010 at the mo. EA were still working on it after this build was completed.

Q10: Do your AI team mates make runs toward the ball or backwards into space rather than always forward?
A:I thought so, but it was 6 weeks ago and I wasn't organised to write stuff down at the time..! Not so much lateral movements as people staying back to receive passes (low attacking work rate etc). Don't hold me to that as it is a surreal environment, playing a 50% build in a room full of other people, trying to spot as many issues to raise with devs as possible. If I get a second play then I'll look at this specifically, as well as a few other things, to pass on to Gary. The runs back/sideways are something I raised as lacking in WC2010 after the trip, but I didn't manage to assess it at length at the time.
This is something that I think would take a few days of play to definitively answer. I think that the defensive AI improvements and the passing inaccuracy encourage you to play the ball backwards more, which is a good thing; I think the defensive AI is a lot more proactive about getting behind the ball and blocking off options, which means they're more focussed on stopping you gaining ground than passing backwards (in FIFA 10 you sometimes wouldn't pass back because the midfield was marking your defensive mid rather than worrying about you playing it into the box). Also I think the passing inaccuracy means that the game is more naturally pulled about, creating the holes and gaps in play that you can run or pass through. Just how much of this is down to improvements in the attacking AI, rather than side effects of the other changes, I'm not sure. But the greatly increased variety in the speed and direction of passes does stop things being so clinically precise that there's no need for attackers to move, and the fact that defenders pick people up more tightly triggers the need for the attackers to move about a bit more than in FIFA 10 where there was enough of a distance between defender and attacker for the AI logic to tell the attacker 'I don't need to move'.

Hope you follow this. Not easy to explain, but while there isn't a dramatic new "move sideways or move towards ball" system that I can see, the increased variety and improved defensive priorities almost make the attacking AI seem less static and samey.

Lami - I've not had that problem before. I thought the keepers were ace, though.

Last edited:

It happened a lot in Fifa 10, specially from corner kicks. I'd like to see the keeper rushing out and punching it away.

How are the goalkeeper throws? In the FIFA10 demo, on manual, they actually seemed to be manual (which I loved, and really is just logical) but for some reason they were changed back to the full game (to assisted, which I hate)?

I guess too that we still don't have manual (in power) goalkeeper kicks? (which IMO, is kind of surprising that no football game I'm aware of has offered).

How are the goalkeeper throws? In the FIFA10 demo, on manual, they actually seemed to be manual (which I loved, and really is just logical) but for some reason they were changed back to the full game (to assisted, which I hate)?

I guess too that we still don't have manual (in power) goalkeeper kicks? (which IMO, is kind of surprising that no football game I'm aware of has offered).

Agree this, should be manual. As far as I know, these things will be manual (with the manual trigger pressed) in PES 2011, hopefully FIFA 12 will implement that too.

This all sounds very impressive. Fair play to EA for striving to achieve a more realistic approach all round. If they can combine their stunning visuals with realistic gameplay then they really might have something special. I will certainly be giving it a go to see if EA have captured the magical essence I personally feel has aluded them in the past. A really good write as well Romagnoli. It's nice to see you have been given the opportunity to play and advise on Fifa 11. ;)

One question I do have though, if they do manage to nail an individual feel to the players, would fans of Manual Fifa look more towards a Semi-Assisted approach instead ?

One question I do have though, if they do manage to nail an individual feel to the players, would fans of Manual Fifa look more towards a Semi-Assisted approach instead ?

This is a problem, because one of the manual guys that played it said he didn't feel much difference in manual passing from FIFA 10. Obviously they must implement the exact same "error system" for manual players too.

I hate how you can pass exactly perfect passes in FIFA 10, but I don't want to go back and remove the possibility to tell the player were to aim. I should be able to tell any player to try to hit the corner flag for example, and then it should be up to the player to try to do it. Going back to semi-assisted means I can only tell direction more or less (not even that) and I find playing like that very restricted.

I always imagined controlling a player being the same as standing by the sideline in real life and shouting at him what he should try to do. If so, I should be able to tell exactly where to TRY to put the ball. The only individuality that it removes is decision making, but that is something that should be up to me, otherwise I could just as well watch a CPU vs CPU game.

The error is in there for manual. Definitely. Either that or I've broken my thumb.

I think the point with manual being identical is that the power bar system is the same, and the movement of the ball is still pretty straight. I have sent the swerve stuff on to EA, but it's more that the assisted game has moved towards manual as far as the power bar is concerned.

No. IMO manual is both a more realistic and fun option so I wouldn't even consider it for a second. Why would I (that is a serious question. Why would I? I really don't know why?)?

Well done roma, thank you. Did you see any weather or wear & tear of pitch? Did i already ask that?:THINK::ROLL:

It's basically the square net and goal frame, but the back edge of the roof is much closer to the crossbar. Only hit the net once but not in a way that could really show it off. Not sure if the looseness is Football Kingdom stuff just yet!

Shallower nets? I wanted deeper, looser nets. Is that the only 2 options Rom or didn't you delve into that side of things. I know nets aren't the most important aspect of the game but the more little things they get correct the more realistic the overall package will feel.
Did you select the shallower net or was it assigned to the stadium you were playing in by default?

Back
Top Bottom