FIFA 10

They want me to make him better than his stats in Fifa09, I thought he was already pretty good though.

Presumably you guys will boo him? I might be able to get that implemented.

Yeah, that's a must :TU:

I really hope they get Forest right this year. I'm not expecting picture perfect players, but just so they resemble their correct height/weight/size. Last year they even got the race wrong on a few players... I'd do this myself if there was an edit mode.

EA (and Konami) really needs to sit down and think about the speed issue in their games. Both games take the arcade way of saying that top teams will have quick (and strong, hard shooting etc.) players and worse teams will have slower players. Personally I think they are totally missing the point here....

This is a brilliant post and hits the nail on the head of the main problem with FIFA and PES. The passing and shooting on these games is still driven by "video game" mechanics and not reality-based simulation of human abilities. Because of this logic, anyone with enough time & practice can master the game control mechanics and have the players regularly achieve beyond their real-life capabiltities (and the actual in-game ratings).

Manual passing, while a brilliant gameplay mechanic, is flawed because once a gamer becomes good enough, he can have even the most mediocre passers complete an unrealistic high % of their passes. The ability to complete any pass or shot should be tied directly to a players' real life ability (translated in the game as ratings).

When I play FIFA 09 as Napoli, I am forced to play differently then they do in real life because the speed ratings for their MF's are too low (this is one of the fastest teams in Italy). This team would be too damn good in this game if the ratings reflected reality because speed is just too important. If however, Napoli's MFs realistically passed and dribbled as inefficiently as they do in Serie A, then speed wouldn't matter as much, or only as much as the opposing team let it by giving me space to run.

The simplist solution is that no matter where I point the stick and how perfectly I weight the pass, my player will only have a certain % chance of hitting that spot regardless of how great I am as a gamer.

Before you say, "oh, but I want total control", you will in effect have it but some players just CAN'T do what you want them to regularly because they don't have that ability. Think of it this way, if you have Pirlo on the ball and Pato is streaking towards the goal and you hold down that triangle button to try and thread a perfect pass to him, you should see a different conclusion to the play if Gattuso has the ball and is trying the same pass. It shouldn't be dependant on your finger-pressing ability!

This will make the game more realistic and strategic at the same time. Lower league games will be more realisitic as possession will change often, w/o speed being sacrificed.

^^ I think that's what most of us think about the issue. It would solve a lot of game exploits and improve player differentiation. But maybe it's not a good selling point for all those AUTO players, and we know they're almost 90% of the market...

^^ I think that's what most of us think about the issue. It would solve a lot of game exploits and improve player differentiation. But maybe it's not a good selling point for all those AUTO players, and we know they're almost 90% of the market...

Great post by voile.:APPLAUD:

I don't think the fully assisted issue comes into play with regard to the points that voile made. Player attributes such as speed, strength and control (or any player stat for that matter) don't put an assisted player at an advantage over a manual player. It's the ease of using the joypad on fully assisted that does that. More realistic player stats - i.e. no quick and strong players in the lower leagues - would make the game more realistic for assisted and manual players alike.

This is a brilliant post and hits the nail on the head of the main problem with FIFA and PES. The passing and shooting on these games is still driven by "video game" mechanics and not reality-based simulation of human abilities. Because of this logic, anyone with enough time & practice can master the game control mechanics and have the players regularly achieve beyond their real-life capabiltities (and the actual in-game ratings).

I Agree, and it will bring the individuality for players that FIFA doesn't have. I think different control of the ball while sprinting (and jogging also probably) would give a huge individuality boost, because you would notice this difference all the time.

But like you say, attributes must be more important, and they have to focus on the correct attributes, like accuracy and fail rates (which is not only fail a little in accuracy but completely miss hit shots/passes/crosses).

One interesting thing that I've heard NHL 10 is implementing is a kind of confidence attribute that can also fluctuate during the game. If you put high pressure on someone with low confidence in real life, he will probably try a long pass up the field or he might miss hit a pass because of the pressure. When lower league teams play against bigger teams you see this all the time. They might be confident when coming up against an equal player in their own league, but when Ronaldo runs at them their confidence drops like a stone. So a confidence attribute would be very dynamic, because it depends on the situation they are in and what individual players they are up against. Lower confidence doesn't necessary mean more mistakes, it is more about different decisions depending on the situation they're in. Someone with too much confidence often misjudge their own ability and make mistakes because of it, even if higher confidence generally is positive.

In FIFA there is nothing of this except the scripted sequence when the defender clears it over the line, but this is something they added for every defender and doesn't reflect real life behaviour. Sometimes they even clear it even if there is no one near them just because they are in the activate-the-clear-script-zone.

I don't think FIFA's momentum (was in 08 and Euro I think) is what I'm talking about, because it seems like this was something that made the other team luckier which just sounds like stupid scripting. I'm more after individual difference in the players mentality. If the one in NHL 10 is any good, FIFA hopefully pick up on it.

The gks in euro were an absolute disgrace imo..u couldnt score from outside the box for ur life(unless it was a perfect top corner torpedo)...fifa09 got it a little better..but im still hoping for less superhuman goalies on fifa10

This was awful. Goalkeepers could save pretty much anything like you say. I don't understand what is so hard to program good basic goalkeeper behavior, PES has had it since PES5 for the PS2. It doesn't require enxt gen, just a programmer who knows what needs to be done. A good start would be to program an inherent reaction delay to goalkeepers responding to situations. Right now in FIFA09 keepers will move the nanosecond the ball leaves the boot. Also give them some need to accellerate their motion aswell, so that they can't just start sliding towards the post with a speed that enables them to reach anything.

PES5 goalkeepers were very good in all aspects, general reaction time, responses to lobs, freekicks, animations, save reach, distance they could throw themselves, good randomness between being able to pull off reaction saves and making mistakes.
PES6 wasn't too bad either, but their absolutely ridiculous responses to freekicks made me loose all faith in the developers programming abilities.

EURO08 is how not to do it with all aspects considered.

Can keepers in FIFA even save with their feet?

They really need a proper collision detection on the keepers so anything can happen. You'd think they could do this with their animation system that can adjust/warp the leg to match up with the ball, but use the same thing with the keepers hands. Way too scripted now, you always know where the ball will end up.

I watched some of my old PES replays and every goal really did feel different, like anything was possible. This feeling is not in FIFA at all to me.

Definitely agree with that, I'm sure coding the logic of how keepers position themselves and close down angles is immensely complex, but the basics like not being super-human should be a basic premise of the implementation. Firstly you'd build a dumb prototype that adheres to the basic principals of physics, then gradually and iteratively build in more complex logic to give them greater capabilities, but every time you make a change you'd re-run a set of tests that you created at the very beginning to make sure the goalkeepers cannot react in impossible ways.

You used to speak a lot about momentum and how goalkeepers should be wrong-footed at times, which is something I really hope they've got in FIFA10. It's wishful thinking but they have supposedly done a "lot of work" on keepers, it remains to be seen how that turns out.

The players look really small! It's quite a big difference actually. I wonder what affect that will have when you play the game.

Set piece creation? :o

Graphics in first shot are out of this world, the Chelsea fans with their flags in the away end lol

the graphics have definitely been touched up. the players look more realistic in proportion and size too.

i hope they've done the faces of the new stars (Gourcuff etc).

set piece creation is this shit. that plus 360degree control is truely going to lengthen the playtime of this years game. it just creates more ways to score (which is all we ask for really).

Wow check the natural "lights" in the first pic! That's just awesome! Oh dear sorry I can't let it go ---> I hope the nets will change.

Last edited:
re emirates stadium, the chelsea fans should not be behind the goal. The away end is the corner section and does not stretch that far behind the goal. Needs fixing before release.

FIFA10_X360_Gameplay_002.jpg
The

Font size is fixed too!

Naughty sites breaking the NDA date (and time)...

We've got a little article about the latest playtest coming up at 9am tomorrow - we don't want to break the NDA and risk future playtests so it's a timed post - as well as a podcast at some point during the day. Plus the screenshots and news of the "special feature" obviously but you don't really need me to tell you what it is now do you... ;)

Does the Emirates even really have that gun logo on it in real life?

Genuine question more than a critisism as I'm not sure myself.

Back
Top Bottom