FIFA 10

really not helping yourself there, insulting people and making out your better then everyone makes people want to disagree with you more. just some advise for you.

what exactly makes you believe that I have any interest in coming to an agreement (or even worse, conform to their ludicrous beliefs) with this bunch of old-farts/spoiled brats who once were PES/WE/ISS/PE fans but have long since dried up and grown out of videogames and aren't capable of appreciating anything electronic entertainment-related anymore, unless it's either some sort of washed up, dumbed-down Wii-style shovelware or the overhyped, trendy flav of the month?

I beg to differ, in fact (just making sure that no one else gets misled by their ridiculous and bitter claims concerning subjects they don't even grasp anymore as I did when I held on picking up FIFA 10 because of their farcical reports).

Last edited:
whoa

Seems alot of peeps have fallen out of love with FIFA......which is a guaruntee with this franchise in my experience but hey what do i know:P

Retri may have a point in respect of technical excellence because it is a great technical acheivement, however its bug ridden and just not fun to play.

It's one of the most repetitive games I have ever played and with all the MM issues I stopped playing around 2 months in because i had seen all it had to offer.

PES is way off perfect but its great fun and gives many, many moments that I have not come across before.............FIFA has never replicated that:))

I made plenty of reasonable points and backed em up with evidence where possible (hence the videos) and I'm also evidently far more knowledgeable than you and your butt-buddies when it coems to football games, however since ya'll are clearly in denial and refuse to come in terms with the truth (besides, truth hardly ever wins arguments over the internet) you're just gonna get treated the way you deserve, like trolls.

Trolling trolls is the only thing the internet is good for after all and I always manage to get a good laugh out of it in a way or another.
Again, where's your justification?
You're "evidently" more knowledgable about football games how? What have you said that has made my points of view seem like they are from a less "knowledgable" person than you? Yet another false baseless assumption, well done.
If you think you're more knowledgable because you've played video games for longer, then think again... just because you've done something for longer it doesn't make you better at it, or better at talking about it. By that (flawed) logic, Pedro de la Rosa is a better and more knowledgable F1 driver than Lewis Hamilton.
I think you have the words "knowledgeable" and "egotistical" mixed up...

Lol @ you saying "I made plenty of reasonable points", that's simply not true... basically all you do is say FIFA is "fucking awesome" and people who don't see things the same way are old farts, spoiled brats or expect too much.

Imagine if everyone acted the same way as you do to criticism in the offices of a company developing something.
Employee: "*feature* could be improved upon in this way..."
Boss: "Fuck off, stop being a spoiled brat, don't expect too much"
Employee: "But *other company* did it 5 years ago perfectly well, it's not like it's impossible to fix"
Boss: "It's fucking good already, no need"

We'd never move forward with that attitude, everything in life needs constructive criticism to improve, whether it be computers, games, planes, cars, anything...
Your attitude towards criticism is completely and utterly wrong, and if anything that's the "old fart's" way to live - "I remember when football games used to be shit (Sensi, Kick off etc.) so now we have much better ones we need not move forward any more."...

Your attempt at "evidence" was lame too, as I said before, showing one video of an extreme exception to the norm does not mean the problem doesn't exist... That's the same logic as (i'll use a football example this time) watching Kevin Kyle's 30 yard goal for Wolves and saying he's an awesome player, and anyone who thinks he's crap is full of shit (which is obviously not the case, having watched him play so badly loads of times for Coventry!). Completely flawed logic again.

And if you're so sure you know the definite truth on the things we're talking about and are so sure we're in denial, shouldn't it be really easy to disprove what we are saying and make us look silly? As it is it's the other way round, if anyone's in denial it's not us.

And finally the "troll" comment... as far as I know an internet "troll" is someone who signs up for the sole purpose of insulting and trying to provoke people. This is obviously not us as we signed up years ago (before you) and have posted many positive things and when we post negatively about something, it's mainly constructive, so well done, yet another false statement.

Good luck on trying to put a sensible post together if you respond... You'll need it :).

I didn't mean that it's shit in the sense that nobody liked it, I mean in comparison with the newer games it really hasn't aged well (played the XBLA trial of it... eugh), but I know that at the time it was probably way better than anything else you had ;).

So I had to post this as I think it's something that is brought up many times with what's wrong with the game.

Last night I finished up my first season with Hull City and finished the season with around 9 million in the bank and around 6k in wages left.

When I started the next season I started with 13 million and 36k in wages. I met the board objectives (don't get relegated and make it to the 4th round of a cup) and finished in 10th place.

I did sim some games throughout the season when I figured I couldn't qualify for Europe so don't know if this had an effect. I did not sell any players to get to the 13 million either.

Thought I'd share.

Got to love the wind up merchantry that if you don't like FIFA you've grown out of videogames. Rob, stop giving him the oxygen to reply. You know fuck all about football games, you're an old fart and your opinions on anything electrical is worthless unless you like it.

Now let's buttfuck.

Not sure what point you're trying to make there? :)

Hasn't it been reported as one of the major bugs that you don't get any extra money for the start of the new season? I know you've mentioned about not winning money for the Cups or for Promotion.

Again, where's your justification?
You're "evidently" more knowledgable about football games how? What have you said that has made my points of view seem like they are from a less "knowledgable" person than you?

I remember when football games used to be shit (Sensi, Kick off etc.) so now we have much better ones we need not move forward any more.

I didn't mean that it's shit in the sense that nobody liked it, I mean in comparison with the newer games it really hasn't aged well (played the XBLA trial of it... eugh),

Holy Batman, you really are clueless.

SWOS, gameplay wise, gives a run for its money to every football game ever released and it's, without the slightest doubt, one of the best sports-games to ever hit the shelves (it just isn't as visually appealing as Winning Eleven and FIFA but that's it).

Back then it was absolutely groundbreaking, even just the managerial aspects of the gameplay were 10 years ahead of its time.

Despite the silly (although extremely functional) bitmap-driven 2D graphics and the relatively (to the shallow eye) simplistic controls its gameplay is as deep as it gets: much like in 1 Vs. 1 Beat'em Up's (such as Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, SFIV and the likes) there isn't a move/strategy which couldn't be neutralized by a sufficiently well-timed counter-attack and since there's basically no way to cheat, only those who are truly skilled end up being rewarded. Meritocratic gameplay at its best.

Furthermore it does all that without resorting to convoluted controls (think of FIFA and PES) in order to achieve gameplay depth.

You could easily have fun from the get go (heck, I could play it just fine when I was 12) however the peculiarly "layered" gameplay has made the learning curve outrageously steep (some of the stuff you might've seen in the video attached to my signature are excruciatingly hard to pull off); off the top of my head I could name only a handful of people from the tourney scene who've been able to master all of its aspects and despite my experience I'm still quite far myself (even though I kept training on daily basis for over a year and played for 10+ years prior to that). Now that's quality.

SWOS is a timeless masterpiece, which is why it was listed among the "10 most important videogames of all time" and has actually aged much better than most of the first gen polygonal games (PS1, Saturn, etc.). Get a clue.

Thanks for proving my point btw, now get the f**k out, newfag. You cannot appreciate FIFA for the same exact reason why you ended up overlooking SWOS: you're a spoiled brat who lacks imagination and your suspension of disbelief has probably been pummelled into the ground a while ago and is not likely to ever show up again.

EDIT: Also XBLA half assed port != Amiga SWOS, just FYI (you're a gaming illiterate though, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference either way, unfortunately).

Last edited:
Retri, being serious now, are you really saying for even a second that FIFA 10 has anything even approaching the level of depth of gameplay of SWOS, or for that matter, any PS2 Winning Eleven/PES? If so, what do you base that on?

I know there's a human in there somewhere; I'd like him to respond please.

SWOS is a timeless masterpiece, which is why it was listed among the "10 most important videogames of all time" and has actually aged much better than most of the first gen polygonal games (PS1, Saturn, etc.). Get a clue.

Is SWOS a masterpiece? Yes.
Is SWOS timeless? No.

I'm an Amiga veteran that spent countless hours on Sensible Soccer and Sensible World of Soccer. It was great at the time. Truly ground-breaking. But I've been back and played it and it really hasn't aged well at all. Never go back, as they say. I have great memories of it, but I have no will to play it again.

I will agree that SWOS is one of the most important games of all time. But then again the Model-T ford was one of the most important cars of all time but I wouldn't want to drive it every day.

PES5 however, is the game I can go back to and still be amazed at how good the game of football is. I'm still waiting for anything on this generation of consoles to surpass it.

The SWOS manager mode was and still is a thing of beauty...

Yep I will agree there, and that is the one part of the game that has never been bettered. Another great thing about SWOS was that it existed in a time before football games were blighted by contrived licensing rules so the game had all the professional leagues in the world with real team and player names.

This thread should be closed . 3-4 users still bitching about Fifa 10 but if its all what you have in your life :D

watching Kevin Kyle's 30 yard goal for Wolves and saying he's an awesome player, and anyone who thinks he's crap is full of shit (which is obviously not the case, having watched him play so badly loads of times for Coventry!)

Hey! Leave off Kevin Kyle, he's a Killie goal machine :))

PES5 owns. A timeless classic indeed.

Football games on this generation of consoles have been hugely underwhelming. :(

The SWOS manager mode was and still is a thing of beauty...

I agree it WAS nick. I still have my boxed PC version :)

However, I took Inverness Caley Thistle from the doldrums of the Scottish Leagues to winning the European Cup. Im pretty sure it was out before the
Champs League?

Anyway,Im sure you will agree that a feat such as that is total fantasy and if you could do the same in FIFA 10 it would be lambasted for being too unrealistic.

As for the arguments about SWOS and FIFA, I found that leaving the nostalgia of playing SWOS in my memory is much better than going back and playing it. In its day it was immense, but it is pretty basic really.

I find that for most games though, I need to be playing the latest version rather than going back to a previous one, thats just me though.

Retri, some of your points may be valid, but your constant insults to Rob etc in this thread are offensive, and not really in the spirit of most members of this site.

In fact surely posting like that should get you banned?

Got to love the wind up merchantry that if you don't like FIFA you've grown out of videogames. Rob, stop giving him the oxygen to reply. You know fuck all about football games, you're an old fart and your opinions on anything electrical is worthless unless you like it.

Now let's buttfuck.
His latest post in the thread has further proved how incapable he is of thinking things through before posting... the content and structure of the posts is terrible which brings me back to the point I made before, i'm concerned at the quality of education he seems to have had...

I also like how he conveniently cherry-picked the one topic he knew more about (SWOS) and ignored the rest of the points that I was obviously correct about.

We very clearly have the best case here so as fas as i'm concerned this debate is over and we win, unless Retri does a complete U-turn - learning to have a mature discussion and validly disprove our points. I feel there's more chance of me being struck by lightning on a clear day than that happening though.

LOL, convoluted controls of PES and FIFA...

I've got my pass buttons, my analog stick, cross button, shoot button, with some varying degress of controls that can be accessed by my two index fingers.

BTW, has anyone ever heard of this RvN song?

feature=player_embedded[/url]

I forgot just how great that guy is/was.

Hasn't it been reported as one of the major bugs that you don't get any extra money for the start of the new season? I know you've mentioned about not winning money for the Cups or for Promotion.

The issue is more related to promoted teams, I got promoted and received 0 transfer funds and only about 12k extra wage fund which is completely useless considering a promoted team has to rebuild significantly to survive.

As for SWOS, yes its manager mode was the best and pretty much unsurpassed, but the gameplay was arcade, IMO Kick Off 2's gameplay massively pisses on SWOS' and remains to this day the best football game of that era.

Back
Top Bottom