FIFA 10

I cannot, for the life of me, find a single match in FIFA 10 on anything other than the default (ANY for everything) settings. Can't change speed to slow, can't change the control scheme.

I've even invited people to a match in an online lobby and essentially tried to trick them (the only thing you can really do) into using your control scheme and nobody will join.

YOU CAN'T KICK PEOPLE IN ONLINE TEAM PLAY MATCHES!!!!

It will always be 3 ANYs on your team fucking your defense up. The only saving grace of FIFA 09 online was being able to play 2 ANYs with a buddy since, for the most part, nobody seems to want to play real soccer. That's done now. Is anyone else angry about this?!

Nobody in my house likes soccer so there's no setting up tournaments (which is what everyone seems to say they do all the time), and no playing one-off matches against people in my house. No manual/semi filtering in Virtual Pro.

I HAVE to play against assisted abusers, I HAVE to play on Normal speed. I can't even make my own Online Team Play lobby anymore because people searching with the default settings will never find my room.

What's going on?

Fifa wins because it's the most accurate representation of football ever. I played the PES online beta and although it had some positives the overall package did not feel right.FIFA feels like real football and PES does not. That is the difference it may have some nice graphics but that doesn't mask PES' flaws. 360 dribbling alone beats every PES does right with gameplay. Love this game!

I cannot, for the life of me, find a single match in FIFA 10 on anything other than the default (ANY for everything) settings. Can't change speed to slow, can't change the control scheme.

I've even invited people to a match in an online lobby and essentially tried to trick them (the only thing you can really do) into using your control scheme and nobody will join.

YOU CAN'T KICK PEOPLE IN ONLINE TEAM PLAY MATCHES!!!!

It will always be 3 ANYs on your team fucking your defense up. The only saving grace of FIFA 09 online was being able to play 2 ANYs with a buddy since, for the most part, nobody seems to want to play real soccer. That's done now. Is anyone else angry about this?!

Nobody in my house likes soccer so there's no setting up tournaments (which is what everyone seems to say they do all the time), and no playing one-off matches against people in my house. No manual/semi filtering in Virtual Pro.

I HAVE to play against assisted abusers, I HAVE to play on Normal speed. I can't even make my own Online Team Play lobby anymore because people searching with the default settings will never find my room.

What's going on?

I've also found on-line play a bit of a step backwards. I also have yet to find a single room that was not set to ANY for everything. I've tried on numerous occassions creating rooms with controls set to semi/manual and have never had a single person join. I've also tried creating rooms set to ANY controls, but for only 3-4 star teams. No-one has ever joined...ever.

I have managed to play plenty of matches where people pick individual players, rather than ANY, but it's still pretty much everyone with the usual finger-glued-to-spint-all-out-attack nonsense.

And the number of Barca v Real Madrid rooms is unbelievable. What a bunch of dead-heads. I bet they all have chips for tea every day. Sometimes, as people quit in the lobby, I find myself captain, so change from Barca to something like Morcambe, and the other captain still insists on being Barca or Real. They're probably the same people that complain that PES doesn't have enough teams, even though they only ever actually play with about 3.

It seemed better during the first week when there were quite a few German league matches.

The only step forward in online play is that you don't have to wait quite so long for a match to start.

I quite fancy an online match option where the teams are just Team A v Team B, made up of generic, nameless players rather than real-life players, with equal stats on both sides (ie. the CBs on both sides have identical stats, the CM on both sides have identical stats, etc). That way, there's no more mismatch with playes like Rooney having a big advantage. Instead, it's down to the human players' skills to perform well. But of course, nobody would ever join such a match.

Everytime I have gone online I have managed to find all manual games on normal and 3.5 to 4stars and any.

I set up my own custom match and sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes its instant.

I dont know why you are finding it so hard? must be certain times?

Everytime I have gone online I have managed to find all manual games on normal and 3.5 to 4stars and any.

I set up my own custom match and sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes its instant.

add me on live

After playing some games of PES 2010, I thought I'd try FIFA and compare.

Wow, FIFA really feels MILES better than PES! The 360 dribbling alone makes FIFA clearly dominate PES and it just plays a far better, more fluid, realistic game of football.

The controls feel better, the animations feel right, the weight of the ball feels better, controlling players is better.

I'll play PES for the BAL and maybe ML, but I really hope ML is fixed because FIFA is my game again this year.

You've completely f*cked me up now. I was all resigned to signing over my soul to seabass again hearing the PES fanboys impressions.

Just played two PES2010 matches against the cpu on the 2nd hardest difficulty. (Haven't played PES in a long time)

On those two matches I don't think I saw the CPU miss a single pass except for high balls and crosses.

My second goal of the game was a diving header from outside the box!

I won both games easily, running past defenders with Ronaldo and such.

Felt like it was a little better than the demo, might be fun with mates, but it just doesn't feel right to me. Although there's a lot of things I hate about Fifa, I still think it's the superior game. By far.

I've also found on-line play a bit of a step backwards. I also have yet to find a single room that was not set to ANY for everything. I've tried on numerous occassions creating rooms with controls set to semi/manual and have never had a single person join. I've also tried creating rooms set to ANY controls, but for only 3-4 star teams. No-one has ever joined...ever.

I have managed to play plenty of matches where people pick individual players, rather than ANY, but it's still pretty much everyone with the usual finger-glued-to-spint-all-out-attack nonsense.

And the number of Barca v Real Madrid rooms is unbelievable. What a bunch of dead-heads. I bet they all have chips for tea every day. Sometimes, as people quit in the lobby, I find myself captain, so change from Barca to something like Morcambe, and the other captain still insists on being Barca or Real. They're probably the same people that complain that PES doesn't have enough teams, even though they only ever actually play with about 3.

It seemed better during the first week when there were quite a few German league matches.

The only step forward in online play is that you don't have to wait quite so long for a match to start.

I quite fancy an online match option where the teams are just Team A v Team B, made up of generic, nameless players rather than real-life players, with equal stats on both sides (ie. the CBs on both sides have identical stats, the CM on both sides have identical stats, etc). That way, there's no more mismatch with playes like Rooney having a big advantage. Instead, it's down to the human players' skills to perform well. But of course, nobody would ever join such a match.

When I create a match, someone usually joins within 1 or 2 minutes. Must be dependent on your location/connection.

You've completely f*cked me up now. I was all resigned to signing over my soul to seabass again hearing the PES fanboys impressions.

:LOL:

Forget other peoples impressions and give PES a go. I do think it's gone back to how PES used to be, and what we used to love. The problem there is that FIFA has evolved so much that it shows up PES and it just plays really dated now, might as well be playing on a PS2 apart from the graphics.

It's a decent game, I found myself wanting to play another game which was good. But the limited running angles, shoddy animations and general feel just brings it down. You get used to it and it feels fine.

Then you play FIFA and you have all of this 360 movement, and a flow to the animations, and it just felt so much more like a next-gen football game.

Worth giving it a go at any rate, and that's from someone who tolerated PES6 and has hated it since.

lol just played a game where i absolutely dominated but lost 5-0 with arsenal. when i say dominated i mean the guy didn't touch the ball apart from knocking it to drogba and bullying his way through my defense each time. i was using semi-manual and he used assisted so every one of his shots beat my keeeper while i missed a few i probably could have scored with assisted. it was great passing around him with ease though.

only reason i play vs assisted goons is cause the search function can't find any semi players. :(

Good god PES is wank. It looks like robot football. I'm trying to get into it, but I just can't. It's so limited in what you can do. Shite. I really wanted it to be good.

Rant over

Thanks for the impressions of PES Dags. I can't stand the over-hyping of PES. I'm pretty sure Eurogamer's review was spot on. The engine is the main problem.

btw just beat someone using assisted. so good. the passing was amazing. the game is incredible against human opposition. just need to find more semi-manual games.

Is it worth me playing games against assisted users. As posted I can see why u could outpass opponents just it would frustrate me if they scored from practically every shot.

it can be fraustrating. i'm seriously thinking of putting shooting on auto. pisses me off that i know i'm better but they score from everywhere :(

ok changed my mind. battering some guy 2-0 at half time :D

Last edited:

Could you add me as well if you're on XBL.

When I go online now I put my shooting on Assisted unless playing a semi or manual game... which has been about 5 times in over a year. Everything else I will have on semi or manual but it's impossible to get a good game in when you can dominate and lose 3-0.

On a side note, I am seriously tempted to get PES 10... However, I just can't get past the still unlicensed teams and cheesy presentation. How can they get Champions League but not Chelsea licensed?

Ugh, think I will wait for the patch as all I really play is MM. I do miss the good old days of PES5 and before that the MLS game here in the states that was based on Winning Eleven.

Assisted passing ruins this fucking game online. And why the hell is EVERY SINGLE TEAM ridiculously fast? Is it just me? 1899 Hoffenheim just ran circles around Barça in my most recent OTP match. I played a match against a buddy with 3 star squads, CD Nacional and Souchaux on "slow" and they still felt way more mobile and fast than they should be. You know what, scratch that, they should be fast if they really are. I like the fact that lower league teams with athletic players seem to actually move like they're supposed too but relative to Barça, there's no way that Hoffenheim has the players to pull off passing moves like that.

And I seriously enjoy playing against the guys who initiate the skill dribble all the time so that they're constantly sliding around the pitch until I get close and then catapulting out of it to the left or right. Had a guy that did that every time he was in open field. I try to cut him off one way and he's flying over to the other side.

My apologies but people will be hearing a bit more whining from me until the 25th when I take this things back to Blockbuster. Sucks that this'll be the first year since the 360 came out that I haven't purchased a FIFA game but I can't do it.

How do the majority of guys here play this game. I have nobody to play this game with in made up tourneys in my house as nobody likes soccer here. The CPU AI is the worst and I'm not just gonna play friendlies or tournaments against the CPU.

The one mode that I could play, OTP, is ruined by the lack of an option to boot assholes that pick ANY and hold B all day. What was EA thinking?

Can someone that's able to get a manual match in head-to-head add MercSqd to the list so we can have a game because otherwise I'll never get one.

Last edited:
Murkurial - I've been setting up semi games on slow speed with 3.5-4 stars in lobbies, and have often been getting people joining before I even reach the team select screen. Granted a few of them will try and select Real Madrid, stay on that for ages (probably bashing X furiously), and then leave. But once the game starts, no problems. They are kind of being cheated into using a control scheme they aren't used to, but I feel absolutely no shame. The last guy I played actually rematched twice, so he couldn't have been hating it, even if I was completely owning (minus the goals to show for it).

Enjoying myself again, even in single player. Good god what a relief. I think I'll try and pick PES up at a supermarket for £26 or so if the rumours are accurate, otherwise I'll probably wait for a second hand copy or the Xmas deals. Seeing Kev and Dag not enjoying it is kind of indicative of how I expect to feel. Yes, FIFA still has a long way to go yet but I can see myself getting more annoyed by the lack of freedom in PES than any non bug related FIFA issue.

Edit: what happened to the PES 2010 Full game impressions thread? I know my posts were deleted for calling Jimmy G out for asking for people's impressions and then putting Kev down for saying it plays good arcade football.

Last edited:
Holy shit@ those PES2010 vids. Yikes. :LOL:

Murk: It's so much better online. I actually enjoyed getting beaten cause i knew i was in full control of everything.

Offline the game lacks any passion. Players all ahve the same run animations, canned celebrations, the list goes on. Where's the flair of football?

Going through a season is mind-numbingly boring. EA really need to spend time with each time and ask themselves why they have this license. What's point in all these teams being exclusive to EA if they aren't going to give their actual play and tactics the time of day??

Murk: It's so much better online. I actually enjoyed getting beaten cause i knew i was in full control of everything.

Lol, who do you play against? Cuz the few assisted cheesers that I've come across most definitely don't leave me feeling like I was completely in control of what happened to me. Every pass they make seems to go right at my player, at which point he jumps in the air, spreads his legs and lets it go through. I thought these were supposed to stolen more easily in this game. That's certainly not the case.

Unless the games you're referring to are against fellow manual/semi players who actually try to play a realistic game of soccer.

Dude i wish i could film some of my films. I mean you guys have seen some of my clips. Whole matches are hilarious. I'm not really that good. 4wins 3 losses so far in head to head mode.

Just played two PES2010 matches against the cpu on the 2nd hardest difficulty. (Haven't played PES in a long time)

On those two matches I don't think I saw the CPU miss a single pass except for high balls and crosses.

My second goal of the game was a diving header from outside the box!

I won both games easily, running past defenders with Ronaldo and such.

Felt like it was a little better than the demo, might be fun with mates, but it just doesn't feel right to me. Although there's a lot of things I hate about Fifa, I still think it's the superior game. By far.
Agree 110%. I'm trying to force myself to like it because of how annoyed I am with the buggy mess that is FIFA 10's Manager Mode, but I just can't do it. I give up for tonight but I'll try again tomorrow.

I just end up screaming at the TV, at players who run the ball out of play when you've pressed a different direction yeeeeeeaaaaaarrrrrrs ago. This is something that for me, should not exist in football games any more. The reaction times were bad enough in FIFA 09 to drive me to PES 2009 in small doses, and now, incredibly, the shoe is on the other foot!

That just kills it for me, as well as all the little things that divide FIFA and PES fans lately (for example, great opportunity for a shot but because the guy behind is breathing down my neck the shot is piss-weak and rolls to the keeper, for no apparent reason - but some see this as the stats coming into play, he's not got good enough composure, it's realistic, yada yada yada, whereas I see it as too little control and too frustrating to play for very long).

In the words of that Fast Show character, "this year, oi will be mostly playing ... FOOTBALL MANAGER."

Here's how it works for me. I first pass the ball around to get a feel for my opponent, to find out if he's a sprint pressure whore. If he is, I'll play some possession, quit the game, and call the guy a douchebag for ruining the online experience for everyone. From my experience around half of people who can deal with the semi-assisted controls end up playing a decent game.

Also, if it's worth reminding people you can bring your custom set pieces online if you play unranked.

I've just posted this on the EA boards, but I'll post it here in case any of you are annoyed with constant raining games in the MM. You can make it stop with a glitch:

Hey all,

Just like many of you on these forums, I've been pretty peeved off about EA's uber failure in implementing the weather system/ToD in the FIFA 10 Manager Mode. You may have noticed that in English League at least, it rains WAY too often for our own good. This can be frustrating as rain affects the way the game is played and playing rainy games day in a day out can be very frustrating.

Well, using a glitch, I've found out that you can actually make the rain stop. It uses the exhibition mode glitch that was found in both 08 and 09, but it works in a different way... you actually have to load your MM first this time, go to pre match screen, then get out and set it in the Exhibition mode.

So, here are the steps:

1) Load your Manager Mode, then go all the way to the pre-match screen. See Night or Overcast/Rain? Most likely. Hate it? Me too. If you want to make the rain disappear at this point, cancel all the way out to the main menu.

2) Go to exhibition mode, choose whatever team you desire, then for the weather condition, choose a dry setting (ToD shouldn't matter).

3) GO back into the Manager Mode, and the rain should have disappeared!

This has been tested on my test Manager Mode file, and using this method, I've been able to make the rain go away at will without fail for half a season. Now, unfortunately this glitch doesn't change the Time of Day but at least you now know the way to at least control the weather. Yes, it's very time consuming, but if you absolutely despise playing in the rain game in and game out, use this and make it disappear. Oddly enough though, it doesn't seem to work backwards; using this method in dry games to make it rain in Exhibition mode doesn't work. Weird, huh.

Well, try this out and let me know how it goes.

@ K_19,

You can also just restart MM and it changes the weather. Ive had this a couple of times, however it's probably a lot more random then your solution. I think the best solution is the stadium edits tbh. Set atleast 2/3 of the away stadiums to day/dusk only ones and you should have a decent mix.

Good to see the 1up review giving EA the deserved kicking for their shoddy product!

Back
Top Bottom