FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

I tried manual passing again before, and although I had more success than in the past, I still find that the tele camera means that the margin for error is far too small. I had passes going out of play, behind the guy I wanted, too far in front...arrgh!

I find that using manual through balls for short-range passes and little first-time flicks and only using the normal passing button for the through balls you want to play ahead of players greatly helps your game on manual settings :).
Oh and you should also nudge your auto-switching up to around 3/4, because I find that it cuts down on your player not "locking on" to the ball and just walking by it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, manual normal passes should be used for through balls and longer passes. Through balls should be used for short passes only because they load up to slow. I used to play semi on normal passes and rest on manual but I gave normal passes a chance on manual and they are great when used like this.

I'm going to try this question again: How do you flick up the ball when receiving a pass? I've seen it a couple of times, I think the flick up is knee high maybe.

I agree, manual normal passes should be used for through balls and longer passes. Through balls should be used for short passes only because they load up to slow. I used to play semi on normal passes and rest on manual but I gave normal passes a chance on manual and they are great when used like this.

I'm going to try this question again: How do you flick up the ball when receiving a pass? I've seen it a couple of times, I think the flick up is knee high maybe.
I'm sure pressing R3 with L1 lifts the ball knee high to avoid sliding tackles though I have never managed it, maybe it's that...

Holding the skill button (default LT) and quickly flicking the analog stick 3 times in the direction the player is facing flicks the ball up, but i'm not sure if that can be done first time.
I have seen the ball flick up randomly when players take some passes, sometimes setting up a volley, but I don't think there is a way to do it deliberately.

I find that with certain players if you hold the skill stick and flick the analogue stick in an opposite direction from where the pass arrived he'll flick it over, for some reason I can only do it regularly with Wade Small and he's shit, confusing.......

MM physical simulation is a bug all round, AI constantly sends out squads at 25% fitness, yet they can play the whole match running around for 90 minutes with no apparent issues other than bending over with hands on hips when the ball goes out of play and of course players are never, ever injured for more than 7 days.

Well, in my MM with Man United, Hargreaves got injured in april and was expected back in august :)) But that is the first and only time it has happened.

Well, in my MM with Man United, Hargreaves got injured in april and was expected back in august :)) But that is the first and only time it has happened.

Did you play the match or simulate it? I've played 100s of matches and there's never, ever been an injury longer than 7 days.

:SHOCK: Yep me too, over 21 seasons now in total in each English Division...

21 SEASONS???? :SHOCK:

The good thing is you enjoy the game a lot. The not so good thing is that regardless of your skill level, if you had put all this hours into online you would have made it to the top 10. That speaks for itself about how rankings are set up in the online part of the game...

Really, 21 seasons???

if you had put all this hours into online you would have made it to the top 10. That speaks for itself about how rankings are set up in the online part of the game...

As weird as it sounds there are a few of us that completely don't enjoy playing online, if Fifa only had online I'd be playing PES' ML.

21 SEASONS???? :SHOCK:

The good thing is you enjoy the game a lot. The not so good thing is that regardless of your skill level, if you had put all this hours into online you would have made it to the top 10. That speaks for itself about how rankings are set up in the online part of the game...

Really, 21 seasons???

It's probably more than 21 TBH, we have five hour bashes some 3 or 4 times a week sometimes longer, they soon rack up especially once you have loads of tactics set, you can just tweak things and the fact there is no real depth to MM does not help.
It's sad I hardly ever play online the idiots wind me up and I usually have a mate round playing MM when I have it on anyway...

As Placebo has put so nicely...

I was being ironic, I don't like very much online. I only play with close friends, unranked matches with different teams everytime and our sami-manual control layout. I don't know if I'have even played any ranked match yet, truly.

But that's ok to me, because online I will onlky play close friends or, in the near future, an online MM mode against all of you, signing your star youth players and selling them to your most bitter rival. That's said!

Hi guys. A while earlier I complained about fifa's framerate. Well, I have had a new insight in the matter. I lended out my PS3 to a friend and when we hooked it on his non-hd tv, and played fifa in 520p(something like that) via scart, the game played like butter. It was smooth and fast like it suppose to be. Incomparable with the hd ready experience. Response times are indeed a framerate issue, believe me. What where they thinking? People with HD tv's only care about graphics anyway?

I find that using manual through balls for short-range passes and little first-time flicks and only using the normal passing button for the through balls you want to play ahead of players greatly helps your game on manual settings :).
This is a really good tip actually, it's helping me a lot. The softer touch of the through-pass button makes short passes a little easier.

I played an exhibition game yesterday with manual passing and it was lovely. I remember trying manual passing in October and hating the experience but since then I've gotten into a rhythm with the game play and it definitely feels a lot better now.

It may be a while before I start playing with manual passing as default but I'll get there eventually.

On the EA sports website - is there only 5 slots for replays? I only have five on it and it doesn't let me put anymore on it? If that is so then that is a big pile of shite!!

I just save them to my computer and keep the process going.

Thats what I am going to have to do. But it is totally fucking stupid that they make you put it onto their website, if you want to keep them - but they only give you 5 spaces?!! - I could have loads on my harddrive - really stupid!!!! Sometimes Fucking EA/Fifa people get on my fucking nerves!!!

A bit off Topic, any news/romours about the usual "FIFA champions league" that usually comes out in March?

I just had a look at the HB Studio but there is no mention of it.

Last edited:
In a way that might just be good for the series if it would have been people from the fifa 2010 team also on the CL team. Oh man I can't wait for 2010 why did I mention it...

I wrote in Peter Moore's blog that they should give us a "history of football" fifa with teams from the past....that would be much better than the usual "Road to the World Cup" of "Uefa Champions League"

Back
Top Bottom