FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

To be honest i am not that bothered about the demo anymore.

i only play it for a small amount of time before deleting it so i dont play it to death.

We have 3 weeks until release,if I can see some HD vids released by EA,showing the elements of the game that they have improved then that will do me.

Add some good reviews from various gaming sites and mags and I just know it will be worth my $.

You can tell its going to be enjoyable, and although I understand that you can test things like resposiveness,its always different to the final build anyway.

Yea it is & its bloody annoying.

thats why I traded in my ps3 I couldn't stand havung to wait until they fixed their online issues with these types oif things. I loved the ps3 for it's updates having better visual enhancements but at the end of the day the ps3 usn't ready as a global machine to be using

Did anybody notice EA mentioning the response issues in that interview? Apparently they're happy with it and they see it as a good thing:

EA SPORTS said:
In addition, we have changed all of the shooting animations. What we have tried to achieve here is enhance that sense of impact you feel when you strike the ball well. The way we did this is by making the animations a little longer. It may feel counter intuitive to make the animations longer as it obviously affects responsiveness, but for us and what we are trying to achieve, it is a positive thing. If you have ever watched Liverpool and seen Steven Gerrard get the ball with a little bit of space, maybe 25 yards out from the goal, there is a sense of anticipation from the crowd because you know Gerrard has the space and time to strike a really good shot. This is what we have tried to create in FIFA 08. So the game now is more about trying to work the ball into position where you have this time and this space to perform an accurate shot.

As I mentioned, all of the shooting animations have been replaced. We now have power animations, finesse animations, power-finesse animations, weak foot animations, close shot animations, off-balance animations, etc. We have all these different animations partly for visual realism and partly to educate the user why his shot was off so he will know why it was a poor shot. The system we have created is logical and users will be able to understand why something happened, so in that sense it is predictable but it is also unpredictable because there are so many factors involved. You won’t get the same shot twice from the same situations because there are so many factors at work. At the same time a user should be able to predict that if they are off balance, sprinting and shooting at 90 degrees their shot is not going to be very accurate.
I don't know what to think now. Well, I do; the responsiveness in PES is a good thing, I feel. Going from the UEFA CL demo to the PES6 demo the first thing I say is "wow, he's done that quickly". And it makes me wonder how they expect you to dribble around defenders if the reactions are delayed. I'm hoping this slow-dribble (where you do the tricks) means fast reactions - that would be a decent compromise.

One of my first few posts, a loooooong time ago, was a complaint (shock horror) about some previous PES. I would press shoot, the guy would take a few seconds (in which time I'd either be tackled or run the ball out), and it would drive me mental - because it didn't do that before, it used to be a lot more responsive in the early years, I'm talking PSone-time. But Babs, a great poster who has sadly not been around for a while now, said "but when you 'tell' him to shoot, he's going to have to get the ball into position and then kick it - which might take a few steps, mightn't it?". So it can be argued that the delay is realistic. But honestly, I do think it should be improved. I don't have a problem with it, but it would be nice if it was looked at.

Last edited:

That's a bug bear for me too with PES, if you press to shoot he should shoot, if the timings wrong or he's off balance it's a crap shot or a miss kick but the delay and extra animations drive me nuts... the main difference I have always felt Pes over Fifa, is the reaction times..If they are making them even longer??

i dont think they are making the response times even longer, i think they are trying to mke you play and behave like a pro, team and player would.

What I mean by that is, they seem to have concentrated on the physics of ball and player to an extent that simply pressing shoot is not going to get you blinding goals anymore.

It is about creating space, thus time and finaly composure to get the ball to do what you want it to.You can only learn by watching the animation and the response times over many games.

I like to play it like football so its not too much of an issue for me and I have never had such a problem with 07 so not reading to much into that comment other than in real life you dont jst cock your leg back and it dos what you want, its about finding the right time and area in which to get your reward.

Pes is too much press and play, its lost its realistic simulation appeal for me.

Tbh that comment made sense to me and didnt make me think about the response time as i think its a totally different element they are talking about. It isnt that you get a longer delay to the shot, but that you need to have space and time to get a proper shot in, ala gerrard. When you see gerrard he needs time and space to have a good powerfull shot with his long strides and large strike. So in that regard it isnt about pressing the button and getting an instant shot but actually seeing the player make the appropriate body movements to get a proper powerfull shot in, and to do that you need time and space. Its probably a bit like the powershot in pes where you need space infront of the midfielder to get decent power and accuracy. You cant really do it properly when in short spaces, atleast most players cant. Babel seems to be able to from what ive seen.

For me its still the general lack of response to movement more then anything. I dont mind the shooting as its all about timing anyway, but movement is as much reaction as it is planning/timing. And atm you just cant react fast enough with the lag.

Fifa is going for realism and PES is going more Arcardey its as simple as that

people may not like fifa because of the shooting and the responses but its as close to real football as you gonna get so there is no compromise

And that is why you cannot compare the two like for like.So many loved PES because it used to be like real football comparing it alongside FIFA but its turned around the other way now and although both will play well....FIFA is gonna be like SKY HD and PES more like SENTANTA :-P

With PES 2008 voted game of the show at Leipzig, I wouldn't be making such assumptions just yet. There is definitely more to it than meets the eye. The folks over at W.E.N.B. admitted that when they first saw it they thought it was just PES6 on the 360, but once they started playing the depth of the improvement really showed. They also said it's not apparent how good PES2008 is until you actually play it.

That said, Fifa looks very good. I haven't seen much real gameplay, just the ball being knocked around in the England-Germany game shown, and the Arena with Ronaldinho showing off the skills, but it looks nearly photo realistic.

With PES 2008 voted game of the show at Leipzig, I wouldn't be making such assumptions just yet. There is definitely more to it than meets the eye. The folks over at W.E.N.B. admitted that when they first saw it they thought it was just PES6 on the 360, but once they started playing the depth of the improvement really showed. They also said it's not apparent how good PES2008 is until you actually play it.

That said, Fifa looks very good. I haven't seen much real gameplay, just the ball being knocked around in the England-Germany game shown, and the Arena with Ronaldinho showing off the skills, but it looks nearly photo realistic.

And that is what most people who were unfortunate enough to play PES6 and then quickly sell it, do not want to hear.Its just not moved on enough for me.

i would like to know what the criteria for winning best game is at the GC? PES will be great but not that different and in this new generation we expect to see new things to compliment a new game, not enhanced things from an existing game.

FIFA does have the looks and will play a great game which will no doubt need improvements, just not as many.

Compare FIFA 07 as a total game and then do the same for PES against the 360 version, the former looks and plays different, the latter looks and plays similar with a few tweaks here and there.

Online is also far superior on FIFA with 5 v5 and online leagues to boot.PES...........................well we all know whats happened there.

Keep in mind I said at first they thought it was PES6, but once they played they realised how deep it was.

I don't know the criteria, but it's still a good acheivement by PES when you consider what games were on display. GT5 for example.

Fifa was a great game last year, with a few things that took away some enjoyment, particularly shooting. Fortunately EA realised that and (hopefully) have fixed it. I didn't get to play PES6 on 360 so I can't say anything in that respect.

Yes PES2008 plays similarly to PES6 but I don't see a problem with that. PES6 was already a very good football game, whereas Fifa current gen was, lets face it, a steaming pile of dog shit.

And I agree, EA clearly has the edge in online play. I don't know what Konami is thinking with the 1v1 only. I can't wait for Fifa 09 with the possibility of 11 v 11.

Keep in mind I said at first they thought it was PES6, but once they played they realised how deep it was.

I don't know the criteria, but it's still a good acheivement by PES when you consider what games were on display. GT5 for example.

Fifa was a great game last year, with a few things that took away some enjoyment, particularly shooting. Fortunately EA realised that and (hopefully) have fixed it. I didn't get to play PES6 on 360 so I can't say anything in that respect.
Yes PES2008 plays similarly to PES6 but I don't see a problem with that. PES6 was already a very good football game, whereas Fifa current gen was, lets face it, a steaming pile of dog shit.

And I agree, EA clearly has the edge in online play. I don't know what Konami is thinking with the 1v1 only. I can't wait for Fifa 09 with the possibility of 11 v 11.

It was unplayable in comparison to all the previous versions (including ISS) I had purchased on two generations of consoles.

So i turned to FIFA and enjoyed it more:shock:

PES6 on the PS2 was a far better game but we are talking next gen and tweaks from the 360 version is a worry for me.

FIFA now looks like a football match, PES reminds me of ISS.

Well I will be forced to play PES2008 only, since I don't have a 360 or PS3, but I feel a lot better after listening to the W.E.N.B podcast about PES2008.

Just going back to the shooting, what I am trying to put across is the player should shoot as soon as he can once you press shoot, it should be up to you to have him in the right place and balanced, or on his right or wrong foot. I don't want to hit shoot then sit there and watch a few more animations or while the comp figures out what the shot will be like... That's almost as bad as scripting everything. If he's not set up right or way off balance then bad shot or total miss kick, as with passing I want to feel I'm the one in control and not just watching a set of scripted plays!!
As for Fifa I'm hoping it's going to be as much like PES, but with no scripts, on the field and a million times better (as it always is) 07 excluded, off the field.

@ bazdez what are you talking about "my source" what relevance has this got to the discussion???

PES2008 on PS2 will be very good as was the PES6 version.

Just going back to the shooting, what I am trying to put across is the player should shoot as soon as he can once you press shoot, it should be up to you to have him in the right place and balanced, or on his right or wrong foot. I don't want to hit shoot then sit there and watch a few more animations or while the comp figures out what the shot will be like... That's almost as bad as scripting everything. If he's not set up right or way off balance then bad shot or total miss kick, as with passing I want to feel I'm the one in control and not just watching a set of scripted plays!!
As for Fifa I'm hoping it's going to be as much like PES, but with no scripts, on the field and a million times better (as it always is) 07 excluded, off the field.

agreed Nick

I think the response issue has got to be an issue for some, but not for others.

As I read it, its more like you have explained in that when you shoot and your not in the right position or off balance its just a crap shot.

The longer animation is after the shot IMO to get you to learn what is the best position in which to shoot.

After the past few years of PES and it's ghastly cpu cheats with the cpu even taking control of your player, garbage scritped physics, biased refs, every single aspect of the gameplay being endlessly interfered with in order to script a storyline football match, if the worst aspect of FIFA is response times, bring it on! Nothing can be as bad as the horrible PES6.

@ bazdez what are you talking about "my source" what relevance has this got to the discussion???

PES2008 on PS2 will be very good as was the PES6 version.
He's saying his contact has switched from PES to FIFA after being a PES fan for years. Good news for us waiting to see how good the game is, is it not? :)

My contact/mate is still just slightly preferring PES over FIFA, but he says that he and every other football fan in his office are going to be buying both this year. This, I should add, is an office serious about it's Pro Evo tournaments, where just mentioning the word "FIFA" this time last year would raise raucous laughter and cause you to be ignored for a week. No exaggeration.

He says the flow in Pro Evo has to be seen to be believed (although the videos I've seen don't seem to show that, to me), and that's why it's still top. But apparently it's incredibly even in 99% of gameplay areas, and the tricks/shooting/graphics of FIFA are enough to draw all of them in. It's only the response times that is putting the game slightly behind PES.

Last edited:

He's saying his contact has switched from PES to FIFA after being a PES fan for years. Good news for us waiting to see how good the game is, is it not? :)

My contact/mate is still just slightly preferring PES over FIFA, but he says that he and every other football fan in his office are going to be buying both this year. This, I should add, is an office serious about it's Pro Evo tournaments, where just mentioning the word "FIFA" this time last year would raise raucous laughter and cause you to be ignored for a week.

Do you know bazdev then Jack?? because my source means nothing to most unless you say "my source who is in the process of reviewing both games for a well known magazine"

Not questioning anyones integrity but its not much for me to state the same.

Didn't mean to frustrate you Dr Force, was just posting what I know. I can't say who he works for because obviously it would fall back on him - if you don't want to believe it then you don't have to, I'm not trying to force you or anyone else. But it doesn't matter anyway, the videos and that interview from the other page (plus CW's glowing report) are good enough for me. I just hope the demo is out soon, I want to see it for myself.

Didn't mean to frustrate you Dr Force, was just posting what I know. I can't say who he works for because obviously it would fall back on him - if you don't want to believe it then you don't have to, I'm not trying to force you or anyone else. But it doesn't matter anyway, the videos and that interview from the other page (plus CW's glowing report) are good enough for me. I just hope the demo is out soon, I want to see it for myself.

i was not meaning you jack, I was meaning bazdev!!

I would not question if you had a contact considering your valued input into this site;)just wanna make that clear.

CW's opinion is the real factor for me also and he is doing a fantastic Q & A over at EA.

anyway dont want any confusion so sorry if I came across like a spoilt brat:D but it was not questioning your honesty or integrity my FIFA friend:cheers:

i belive u jack, cos i know it wosn't easy for u to admit the fact that pes08 its still better game, according from what ur contact is saying, but at list u are being honest. i hope the demo of fifa08 its coming out soon hopefully this week so we all get to try it out

Back
Top Bottom