FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Jack: Shots curl naturally with the players body shape and how the ball is kicked. Using the finesse button will increase the curl you put on a shot too.

When you talk about Finesse shot you are talking about normal shooting and not FKs thought right? I think that's what you meant but I just wanted to clarify incase I missed something here. :)

Jack, you can rotate the left analogue after you shoot to curl the ball. Might just be on manual though.

Not sure about this. Have you done extensive testing or have you only taken a couple of shots and noticed a trend for this or such?
I just don't see how this would be possible, seeing that the aim can be changed right up until the moment before the player actually kicks the ball. You sure you aren't just the victim of a couple of fluke curls that just happen to correspond to your stick movements. I've not seen any EA statement or such about being able to curl normal shots, and if there were I'm sure they'd be blarting it out with a horn since not many games have that kind of feature (unless you include "unrealistic" versions like aftertouch curling after the player has kicked the ball and such). :)

:lol:

Yea I mean finesse shot from normal play mate. Though I do think if you do a finesse shot from a FK it does make a difference, might just be in my head!

It says something in the manual about using the analogue to add spin, I think. I am crap at freekicks like I think I should read the manual a bit more

May be a dumb question and I can't find anything on search but can you upload 08 save game files for the PS3? Are they copyright protected? I had a quick look to see if I could find someone who had done all the stuff needed to get all the 3rd kit's, as I just play Manager mode I so far in 6 seasons have earned enough points for 2 and a Ball... I've seen some for Tiger woods and other EA titles..

Just played a ranked match against someone called Lil Dan 14, he spent the whole match hacking away at my players resulting in loads of yellow cards and two reds. I was so crap I couldn't even score against 9 men until extra time :lol: So I scored, he pauses it and starts begging me to let him score because he wants to do penalties as he's never done penalties on FIFA 08 before :lol:

So I carried on playing around, passing the ball around while he flung himself about and was crying down his mic :lmao:

Just played a ranked match against someone called Lil Dan 14, he spent the whole match hacking away at my players resulting in loads of yellow cards and two reds. I was so crap I couldn't even score against 9 men until extra time :lol: So I scored, he pauses it and starts begging me to let him score because he wants to do penalties as he's never done penalties on FIFA 08 before :lol:

So I carried on playing around, passing the ball around while he flung himself about and was crying down his mic :lmao:

You are a bad, bad man ;)

We all know that was the other way round

Me and Coopz and Bitter Rivals played a 5 on 5 last night... god im shit! I need to sharpen up my skills on that side of things! we got hammered by some lads playing as Man United and we were Real Madrid! Score I think was about 7-0 come full time!

Score I think was about 7-0 come full time!

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who needs to work on this game!

I am slowly getting better at this game, but I am still getting hella annoyed. I think I actually wanted to toss my controller as far out the window as possible. I then reminded myself how expensive the controller is. -le sigh

Practice makes perfect, as well as migraines.

Last edited:

Hey everyone, got this game over xmas after reading through all the stuff in this thread, pro evo has been my favorite game for about 6 years now but this years' didn't quite cut it.. and you all convinced me to get fifa a try. Lovin it so far, but big question, is it really true you can't edit mentality/formation/marking online? am i going nuts? is this for ranked matches or for both? if so it's an unbelievable oversight!!!

otherwise, gamertag is stilts1844 if anyone wants a game ;)

Well my rank is well and truley screwed thanks to Live an EA servers signing me out of ranked games half way through I've got about 7 3-0 defeats in my last 10 games over the last few days and Im seriously pissed now and my DNF has shot up, worst thing I was winning most games.

Well my rank is well and truley screwed thanks to Live an EA servers signing me out of ranked games half way through I've got about 7 3-0 defeats in my last 10 games over the last few days and Im seriously pissed now and my DNF has shot up, worst thing I was winning most games.
Fucks me right off that does :mad: Though when it hit last night I was 2-1 down against a complete cunt who had his cock so far up Cristiano Ronaldo's arse it was coming out his mouth.

I'm ranked about 1700. I just can't break into that top 1000, I need to put a good run together to shift myself up.

does there come a point where you become good enough to actually cut through the middle of defences and dribble properly i.e. like messi in real life?

i know the defences are hard to get through but does getting better allow for this or is defensive AI just too unfair?

does there come a point where you become good enough to actually cut through the middle of defences and dribble properly i.e. like messi in real life?

i know the defences are hard to get through but does getting better allow for this or is defensive AI just too unfair?

with certain players you can yeah

just dont hold run and you can do mazy runs past the defenders :)

Yeah, exactly. Look for someone with a high dribbling stat, not necessarily a high speed stat :).

Excellent game and best Football game I've played...but NBA2K8 still the "closest simulation" sport game ever :D

No NBA 2k8 with the new patch is crazy good too but for a football game you can not beat fifa 08 it is so good going back to it it has TONS of staying power i was playing it and saw diff opportunities always and the sheer randomness in play is inspiring and many times had me say "wow that was good!"

Rotate?! That's confused me a bit, you don't just push left or right?

Just tried more in the arena. You can definately control ball spin with the left analogue. Jog toward the goal and aim for the top right corner of the goal. If you just do that it will most like sail wide to the right. But if you curl the analogue from top to right, it adds spin to the ball, like Roberto Carlos famous free kick against France, and it spins back towards goal.

This is even on Semi shooting, not manual.

No NBA 2k8 with the new patch is crazy good too but for a football game you can not beat fifa 08 it is so good going back to it it has TONS of staying power i was playing it and saw diff opportunities always and the sheer randomness in play is inspiring and many times had me say "wow that was good!"

true but manager mode blows, and AI is strange, online vs humans is where it is at

Is it just me or does you teams AI don't do shit to help you out? They hardly take runs and if you have to defend a cross and you're the wrong player then your team mates don't do shit to clear it, they just stand there. I have to constantly press the shoot button so anyone will at least do something other than just stand around looking like a fruit. Is it because I'm only playing at pro difficulty? It's so frustrating, it's not like you can be every damn player at the same time, the AI must help you out. I quite like the AI in offline "be a pro" but in normal mode they're so retarded that I want to fling my controller in the wall.

Edit: I am aware of the "tell the retards to make a run"-button but I shouldn't have to press it every time I get the ball...

Is it just me or does you teams AI don't do shit to help you out? They hardly take runs and if you have to defend a cross and you're the wrong player then your team mates don't do shit to clear it, they just stand there. I have to constantly press the shoot button so anyone will at least do something other than just stand around looking like a fruit. Is it because I'm only playing at pro difficulty? It's so frustrating, it's not like you can be every damn player at the same time, the AI must help you out. I quite like the AI in offline "be a pro" but in normal mode they're so retarded that I want to fling my controller in the wall.

Edit: I am aware of the "tell the retards to make a run"-button but I shouldn't have to press it every time I get the ball...

I feel you on this one man! It doesn't make sense. I resorted to falling back to semi-pro regretfully and now, it seems it is a lot easier to take the ball away from the cpu? There is something I am not understanding about shielding the ball while running. The cpu holds me off a lot better than I can? I cannot tell if it's L1, R1 or L2 that you hold down while running. If someone has mastered this yet, please explain in detail!

I started a season with Liverpool though. It's obvious that I am playing at the right difficulty for now since I am squeaking by with only 1-2 point wins. I do find it a lot easier to strip the ball away from the opposition in the midfield though. It's a bit sad that I know the cpu is giving me space and more time to react, yet still, not being able to take advantage of it is a kick in the pants. blah!

Last edited:

Oh my God, I had such a laugh playing in the online league that I decided to play a ranked game (something I hate because you just get cutbacking chipping bellends).

He picks Barcelona, obviously. I pick Arsenal. I'm 2-0 up, 70 minutes in, and I'm disconnected from the EA server.

Seriously not happy with what's going on at Microsoft at the moment. Somebody needs shooting. Several times. In the face. With a sawn-off shotgun. Until their face has been made into a trillion tiny pieces invisible to the naked eye. And I want to be the one who does it.

Actually, I think it might be EA and not microsoft (though I am a PS3 supporter). I got the same disconnect message a couple times last night. -you should get a punching bag. (I probably need to invest in one too)

Last edited:

So _my_ XB came back from XB Repair Land last week, so I was able to get back on live (I'm "BDiggle") and I played a few matches tonight.

I ended up 2 - 6 for the night, though I played better than that record losing two of those matches in penalties and only getting blow out once (3 - 0, he was Barca, I was Benefica). Not a horrible night.

The thing is though, I COULDN'T WIN A DAMN HEADER TO SAVE MY LIFE - on offense or defense.

Anyone else having complete trouble with that..?! I can't count the number of times my players were spot on to head it, but let it fall to their chest, then their feet, before doing anything with the ball.

My opponents, OTOH, didn't seem to have much problem with headers - one of 'em even scored a cracker with his head, and they had a number of headers they couldn't keep down, but at least they were up and winning balls.

Tips? Thoughts...? Or should I just drink more beer..?

(...and BTW, I'd love to play some 5 on 5 with you folks, as every time I'm on for 5 v 5, it's me and a bunch of Mexican fellows. I've nothing against my Mexican friends, but it's not a ton o' fun when you don't speak the same language as the other 9 players...)

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom