FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

You need to improve your fitness coach. Bit of a con really because I'm sure in real life lower league players can still maintain a reasonable amount of fitness with their current coaches. But if you don't spend a fortune on improving your fitness coach on FIFA, you'll always have players not recovering from games.

You need to improve your fitness coach. Bit of a con really because I'm sure in real life lower league players can still maintain a reasonable amount of fitness with their current coaches. But if you don't spend a fortune on improving your fitness coach on FIFA, you'll always have players not recovering from games.

He's talking about the OPPOSITION players not his own team - unless of course you're suggesting he foot the bill for the fitness of the rest of his league as well (being that it is the holiday season) :rein:

Last edited:

I already answered in the manager mode thread but as it's not really appropriate to discuss it there (that thread is supposed to be for manager mode stories right?) I'll paste it here.......

It's poor game design, same as AI squads not being improved (despite EA saying before release that the AI would look at improving their squads which is bullshit), AI players will stay in the same position until they retire, doesn't matter how much they decline, doesn't matter if there are better players in the squad, if someone is in the starting 11 they will always be there (barring injury/suspension) until retirement, then once they've retired they'll just stick in some squad player to cover that position, doesn't even matter if he doesn't play that position they'll just stick him in, for example West Ham, Solano the attacking midfielder retired, to be replaced until retirement by Dean Ashton, Dean Ashton at AM? Riiight. Newcastle's was worse though, Viduka the tall, strong target man retired and was replace by Aaron Lennon (who they bought off me), Aaron Lennon the tall, strong target man? Riiight.......

Some of this game is fucking awesome, some of this game design is fucking amateurish. Roll on Fifa09, they can have no excuse for the amount of little things fucked up in Fifa08 as all the squads and all the players have now been integrated into next gen, they'll just need tweaking and such, the game's overall design should be the primary focus.

Bought FIFA 08 today =]
It's really hard to play after you play on PES, but FIFA is better for sure :)
How do I earn points to use it on the fan shop?

Last edited:

Great game but I'm really disappointed that I can't play as a locked/fixed player if I want like in PES. How hard can that be to implement? They got be a pro so just add fixed player as an option for gods sake. That is one of the few things I still like about PES, because they have the options to play as Fixed and Semi-Fixed. They'll probably wont add that in 09, I guess most people never play as one player only and that's a bloody shame now when they actually have good AI, something that PES has always lacked. Ok rant over, I'm just a little pissed...

After all the excitement FIFA08 has been getting, I finally decided to get myself an 360 and give it a spin in the holiday. Before this I have been dry of any game for of about a year. I missed all that was next-gen. The first time I loaded the disc, I even walked towards the TV, trying to spot a pixel in the arena mode, surprised at the clarity.
I never knew Ronaldhino was -that- fast, but for the most animation looked alright indeed. I liked how the control scheme made sense, shooting really showed of the ball and net physics, and don't forget: the attention for sound and detail. (I didn't like the controller all that much. But thats another thing.)

So there I was with an open mind and quite excited after the first introduction. I started up my first game and felt rather at home with the slower pace and build-up. It was clear that someone passioned lay his hands upon one of the most criticized game series, and made it shine.
Many long time flaws and problems seemed to been tackled. And FIFA now is about football again. It looks like football, at times it plays like football and it..does not feel like football. Yes. You heard me. I was disappointed too. It should not take anyone too long to see that FIFA is still a cripple in its core. Unfortunately the inner mechanics of this game cannot keep up with all the beauty. And when the beauty wears off, an old sluggish awkwardly familiar bastard appears, laughing at my face. Saying: not this year my friend. Maybe next year. I am talking about an all too obvious flaw, stronger then any wishful thinking; framerate issues like quicksand. Slowly eating up response times and any enjoyment one could get of this game. How in earths name could they have missed this. A harsh deadline? Such great potential, but when you reach the penalty area frames are skipped like a 1912 Griffith movie. Even in midfield the framerates are capped at urban speed limits. One ends up frustrated by the response times and finds himself doing exactly what this game does not support you to do: run like crazy. The player is left behind feeling like Ted Hedrick(the ruff ice skater) instead of Ronaldhino, master of the ball.

----

EDIT: I thought maybe the framerate gets better when playing with a closer camera so i switched from tele to dynamic. And guess what? All of the sudden this game is 10 times better. Some animations that seemed awkward from far now look way better and responses are also very much improved, almost perfect. My advice to everyone is to play this game on the standard camera; that is the dynamic camera.

Last edited:

Great game but I'm really disappointed that I can't play as a locked/fixed player if I want like in PES. How hard can that be to implement? They got be a pro so just add fixed player as an option for gods sake. That is one of the few things I still like about PES, because they have the options to play as Fixed and Semi-Fixed. They'll probably wont add that in 09, I guess most people never play as one player only and that's a bloody shame now when they actually have good AI, something that PES has always lacked. Ok rant over, I'm just a little pissed...
Sorry for asking, but what's the diffrence if you choose normal cam instead of the "be-a-pro"-one? Isn't that pretty much the same thing as ficed player or am I being stupid?

But you can't play as a fixed player in any mode or did I miss something? That's my rant. I like the new be a pro, but you can only play that as offline training (and a buddy can't play with me, one player mode only) or the 5 vs 5 online. And the be-a-pro-cam has so low framerate for me so I always play in tele anyways.

But you can't play as a fixed player in any mode or did I miss something? That's my rant. I like the new be a pro, but you can only play that as offline training (and a buddy can't play with me, one player mode only) or the 5 vs 5 online. And the be-a-pro-cam has so low framerate for me so I always play in tele anyways.

Apart from a few game play tweaks this is my main wish for fifa 09. Be A Pro has lots of potential offline to add so much more to the game. A 'Be A Pro' career mode would have been amazing in 08. Nothing epic, but a simple career where you can create your own player and start at one of the bottom leagues, and work your way up to the top with transfers etc or even just take control of an existing player for a however many seasons. It just needed something to make Be A Pro worth playing offline this year, although i suppose it's main purpose this year was for online play.

I'd like to see something like New Star Soccer 3 in the future though. I wouldn't be suprised if EA are thinking about making a whole new game based on Be A Pro mode (basically doing what New Star Soccer 3 does) as it is anyways.

I already answered in the manager mode thread but as it's not really appropriate to discuss it there (that thread is supposed to be for manager mode stories right?) I'll paste it here.......

It's poor game design, same as AI squads not being improved (despite EA saying before release that the AI would look at improving their squads which is bullshit), AI players will stay in the same position until they retire, doesn't matter how much they decline, doesn't matter if there are better players in the squad, if someone is in the starting 11 they will always be there (barring injury/suspension) until retirement, then once they've retired they'll just stick in some squad player to cover that position, doesn't even matter if he doesn't play that position they'll just stick him in, for example West Ham, Solano the attacking midfielder retired, to be replaced until retirement by Dean Ashton, Dean Ashton at AM? Riiight. Newcastle's was worse though, Viduka the tall, strong target man retired and was replace by Aaron Lennon (who they bought off me), Aaron Lennon the tall, strong target man? Riiight.......

Some of this game is fucking awesome, some of this game design is fucking amateurish. Roll on Fifa09, they can have no excuse for the amount of little things fucked up in Fifa08 as all the squads and all the players have now been integrated into next gen, they'll just need tweaking and such, the game's overall design should be the primary focus.

Good luck waiting for 09 to be good. Rumor has it all of next years 09 titles are only going to have presentation changes along with very little engine work.

I wouldn't believe any kind of rumours you hear already :)

From talking with developers at EACanada and EAtiburon the general company consensus is that 09 is more of a presentation year. 08 was more of a gameplay engine(you know 60 fps locks,branhcing animations etc) while 09 is where they'll put in last gen presentation content.(sidelines interaction for madden etc)

SO I believe my sources at the ACTUAL company more than some even though i said 'rumors" these are words from community managers and then most importantly PUBLISHERS with whom we make the release deadlines

Considering the new FIFA project lead used to make Championship Manager, I'm banking all my hopes on that...

I will still hold out hope for an improved responsetime as the difference between the demo and the retail was really big. If they can manage that in a couple of months they can easily improve it some more while focussing on the MM and presentation side. Hopefully anfield will actually be near the pitch instead of too far away and we get to play in more away matches.

I will still hold out hope for an improved responsetime as the difference between the demo and the retail was really big. If they can manage that in a couple of months they can easily improve it some more while focussing on the MM and presentation side. Hopefully anfield will actually be near the pitch instead of too far away and we get to play in more away matches.

they're already working on fifa 09(suggestion/feature-wise and problem bugs of previous 08 title fixing) they are just off on holiday now until jan 17th...

If there were some way to save changes I make to other teams and line ups and gave us the damn third kits for all teams and balls without needing to jump through hoops... it's a frikken football tile.
I'd be a little less pissed at the bugs and glitches..
I guess I'll never know if this is sooo good it's made me switch to the dark side... or PES is soooo bad it has me fearing for my PS3, TV and anything else to hand, to destroy when playing such a bed wet-tingly awful game..
No offence to any dusk dribblers out there..

Woo went online for the first time today.

I did 2 unranked matches. The first I was Man Utd v Arsenal. It was 3-0 by the 50th minute and the guy quit on me.

The 2nd was me Portsmouth vs. Aston Villa. The match went to overtime but my substitute Kanu scored twice to win it for us.

I'm confident enough to play you lot now.

Woo went online for the first time today.

I did 2 unranked matches. The first I was Man Utd v Arsenal. It was 3-0 by the 50th minute and the guy quit on me.

The 2nd was me Portsmouth vs. Aston Villa. The match went to overtime but my substitute Kanu scored twice to win it for us.

I'm confident enough to play you lot now.

Wouldn't get too confident if i were you ;)

Anyone have any tips for FKs in this game. I can never seem to get any curl on them they just seem to go pretty straight. They don't curl nearly as much as they do in PES. It's weird because I can curl shots but FKs seem to be different. What's a good amount of power to use and are there any buttons you press to curl it?

Jack: Shots curl naturally with the players body shape and how the ball is kicked. Using the finesse button will increase the curl you put on a shot too.

Noted: You must move the left analog stick in the direction you want to curl it at the exact same time as you press the shoot button.

Jack, you can rotate the left analogue after you shoot to curl the ball. Might just be on manual though.

Back
Top Bottom