FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

IIRC Player Manager let you edit your formations in every detail based on where the ball was, the pitch was divided up into a grid and you could move the ball into each grid and see your players move accordingly then you could adjust them as you liked, was a really great game :)

Press right on the d-pad, that is the Defender Attack option. Might work?

Have been using this all along - backs do indeed make a run with this tactic but it doesn't seem to have any effect on bringing them up for corners.

Not 100% sure of this, but it seems if a centre back is set to man mark an attacker they won't go up for corners/freekicks. Even if you use DA.

Yeah but I can't say I believe it's a complete list......

Creating and delivering the OTP Update took a huge amount of work on the part of the dev team who really believed they could release the new feature for FIFA 08 even after the launch of the game. During all this hard work they found some time to optimise some other areas of the game after reading feedback from the community. Enclosed is the list of issues we were able to fix in the launch of the 5v5 Online Team Play update.

* Fixed rare Ps3 loading crash and/or infinite load.
* FC Toronto is now referred to correctly as Toronto FC.
* Fixed rare issue where player would lose control of free roam player and/or control free roam player from jumbotron view during online loading.
* Fixed issue where user would be prompted and forced to download squad files every time they attempted to play an online game if they had changed the arena player.
* Reduced CPU free kick ability slightly in lower difficulties.

That issue with the squad file seems to stretch to something else too. Since I changed to Torres, although it's not EVERY time, I'm being asked an awful lot to check for squad updates.

you asked what bug it was and i told ya

like a said its not a bug as such they have just made the CPU shitter at FKs

Yea, that guy said they'd missed it though, and it WAS on the list so confused me somewhat :)

How can I get points to unlock the third kits? Do I have to do those fucking challenges?

You can - or just earn achievments and do tournaments and shit - I got Arsenals kit but it took lots of points, its ridiculous really.

lol. The teams I have consistently played against. Man U, Chelsea OMFG, Barcelona OMFG. I am always the dunce to pick teams like Fulham, PSG, Schalke... Blah.

"Just my imagination -- once again --
running away with me.
Tell you it was just my imagination
running away with me.
I never controlled the player, but I can't forget the controls.
Just my imagination..
-- ooh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah --
running away with me"

Got this game yesterday, so far liking it a lot.

Is there a way to play penalty shootouts on their own, like on PES?

I can't even have fun with this game anymore because I am losing so much online. I have probably only had like 3-4 games that were close (which I lost) and the rest have always been 2+ points, usually being shut outs. My players always seem to lose the ball so much easier than the players I play against, my passes always seem to get intercepted, I am always getting scored on by the stupid, run down the wing, ground pass along the face of the goal for a tap in. It's ridiculous because even though I will have two defenders who should be able to knock it out of there, the opposing player always seems to find a way to snake in and stick his foot on the ball. It's sickening!
How the hell am I supposed to enjoy this game? I love playing soccer video games, but this just feels like an experience that makes me more stressed. -sigh

I can't even have fun with this game anymore because I am losing so much online. I have probably only had like 3-4 games that were close (which I lost) and the rest have always been 2+ points, usually being shut outs. My players always seem to lose the ball so much easier than the players I play against, my passes always seem to get intercepted, I am always getting scored on by the stupid, run down the wing, ground pass along the face of the goal for a tap in. It's ridiculous because even though I will have two defenders who should be able to knock it out of there, the opposing player always seems to find a way to snake in and stick his foot on the ball. It's sickening!
How the hell am I supposed to enjoy this game? I love playing soccer video games, but this just feels like an experience that makes me more stressed. -sigh

Most people who make a post like this are usually just trying to vent frustration or rationalize why they're consistently losing - if that's the case then don't read any further.
If not then here's just a suggestion - if you keep losing in the same manner you really should reconsider your approach to the game both in strategy and application - that is you can't keep doing the same things and playing the same way if you're not having success at it.
A lot of players here, myself included had a difficult time breaking out of old (PES) playing habits and learning to play FIFA on it's own terms and taking a lot of lumps along the way. Not sure anyone here can simply tell you what to do to improve your play but as I said I think you need to do something other than what you keep doing.
Have you experimented with changing formation/mentality? Are you using in-game tactics? What about your control settings? Are you using Assisted and gradually working your way up thru semi and manual?
As for actually playing the game - are you laying off the sprint button? Using strafe and cutting out passing lanes on defense? Keeping your shape and not ball chasing?
Are you utilizing the jostle command to win balls in the air and gain better position offensively? Are you using close control when being pressured and most importantly keeping the ball moving with good buildup and maintaining possession?
FIFA really needs to be played like actual footy and not as a videogame - you can't just mash buttons and fly around pinging the ball recklessly up the pitch. Most importantly you can't lose the plot especially after giving up a goal - keep your cool and your style of play and try not to fall into the same mindset and pattern of play that's bringing about this frustrating string of losses.
Just my measly 2 cents - hope it might be of some worth.

Most people who make a post like this are usually just trying to vent frustration or rationalize why they're consistently losing - if that's the case then don't read any further.
If not then here's just a suggestion - if you keep losing in the same manner you really should reconsider your approach to the game both in strategy and application - that is you can't keep doing the same things and playing the same way if you're not having success at it.
A lot of players here, myself included had a difficult time breaking out of old (PES) playing habits and learning to play FIFA on it's own terms and taking a lot of lumps along the way. Not sure anyone here can simply tell you what to do to improve your play but as I said I think you need to do something other than what you keep doing.
Have you experimented with changing formation/mentality? Are you using in-game tactics? What about your control settings? Are you using Assisted and gradually working your way up thru semi and manual?
As for actually playing the game - are you laying off the sprint button? Using strafe and cutting out passing lanes on defense? Keeping your shape and not ball chasing?
Are you utilizing the jostle command to win balls in the air and gain better position offensively? Are you using close control when being pressured and most importantly keeping the ball moving with good buildup and maintaining possession?
FIFA really needs to be played like actual footy and not as a videogame - you can't just mash buttons and fly around pinging the ball recklessly up the pitch. Most importantly you can't lose the plot especially after giving up a goal - keep your cool and your style of play and try not to fall into the same mindset and pattern of play that's bringing about this frustrating string of losses.
Just my measly 2 cents - hope it might be of some worth.

I appreciate the time you spent to reply to this frustration/cry for help.

You know, I try to approach the game as if in a real game of soccer. I play patient and try not to force the ball up the field. If there is nothing up front or no support, I reset the ball and play the ball back. I attempt to play a very possessive style of game, working the defense so that they hopefully will break down so that I can go in for a fast strike. I notice that my passes sometimes start to go astray or when I try to hold the ball to get some more support, the players are not there. It always seems like the people that are beating me aren't playing real football, just know the game well?

I don't chase down the ball and try to apply just enough pressure to force the player to mess up so that I can sweep up sloppy play. I definitely go for the ball if I am side by side the person, but, they always seem to be able to hold me off? I try to do the same thing, yet, they can take the ball from me?

Close dribble? I am assuming this is the R1 button? Is this the reason? Are you able to make people go on runs?

Ah, I obviously just need to practice against the computer more as well... I took me almost half a year to become decent at WE, looks like I am back at the drawing board. Sorry to whine, it was just getting ridiculous though. BLAH.

@ velocity:

If you team isn't moving up the field as fast as you'd like them to, consider changing the team mentality to "attack" or "full attack".

Also if your strikers aren't moving up as they should, press the trigger run button (L2 on new alternate scheme IIRC).

Hope that helps.

One thing that pisses me off no end is forward that make runs from the box to midfield (ie they run backwards towards their own goal) as you're running down the flank about to cross, I've tried changing them to low defending which seemed to help, but then the opposing defence tends to play deeper and you have less chance of breaking clear of them in counter attacks.......

can anyone give me tips on editing stats, i have give up on manager mode as the other teams harldy buy any players so 4 seasons in your playing against thje same teams all the time so im just doing normal seasons and my own transfers but wanna edit the youth players to make them better every season but can only edit them so high cois of the exp points so they are never ever gonna be as good as the older players, also i hate the leeds kit is ther any way of editing it or taking the sponsor off, can anyone actually edit fifa like they can with pro evo weith all the patches that are on this site?

Ive been playing the best simulated soccer of my career on FIFA lately. I was controlling the games on 5 v 5 last night. And today ive won about 7 out of 7 games online. Playing awesome football with teams all over the globe. Loving it.

Back
Top Bottom