FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

Shooting is about diagonal directions not fully left or right

Yeah, but you misunderstood me mate, if you were replying to me. What I was talking about fully left and right was just to make sure there isn't something wrong with the settings or such (so that Jack has set the game to manual, but the gamer still being locked in automatic, which would mean that when Jack aims he uses very subtle moves with the stick since he is completely manual, but the game interpreting these subtle moves as Jack aiming "3cm to the right of the middle of the goal" rather than the right post as would be the case with the manual method).

He'll have to learn to aim himself, but I also didn't bring it up since he seems well experienced enough with FIFA to know how to aim. ;)

Yeah, but you misunderstood me mate, if you were replying to me. What I was talking about fully left and right was just to make sure there isn't something wrong with the settings or such (so that Jack has set the game to manual, but the gamer still being locked in automatic, which would mean that when Jack aims he uses very subtle moves with the stick since he is completely manual, but the game interpreting these subtle moves as Jack aiming "3cm to the right of the middle of the goal" rather than the right post as would be the case with the manual method).

He'll have to learn to aim himself, but I also didn't bring it up since he seems well experienced enough with FIFA to know how to aim. ;)

I was responding to JB :)

Thanks for all the replies lads, I'm practicing shooting now and putting a few of these things into place.

I just find that either I hit it straight at the keeper because I'm not aiming in one direction enough, or I'm skewing it miles wide because I'm aiming over too much. It seems very hard to hit the area between the two. I can't believe I've never noticed it before but the highlights of every game now I'm disgusted with, the keepers could stand still in the middle of the goal for every shot and nothing would go in.

This game is amazing. It really is. Since I have the owned the game I have only played with foreign teams in Manager Mode to get used to it. Now I feel good enough I am playing as my beloved United in Manager Mode. I have to say, it is like watching Sky Sports on a Saturday afternoon at times. The atmosphere and chants of the Premiership crowds are spot-on. The football I am playing with United is breathtaking at times and I scored a beautiful goal with Ronaldo last night: Giggs picked up the ball on the left-wing and floated a long pass over to Ronny on the edge of the box. I chested it down and swung wildly at it - the ball rocketed into the top left hand-corner of the goal. I was jumping around and shouted "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!". My missus ran down and asked "Who scored?!". I replied "Me!". Loving this game - worth every penny.

:)

Thanks for all the replies lads, I'm practicing shooting now and putting a few of these things into place.

I just find that either I hit it straight at the keeper because I'm not aiming in one direction enough, or I'm skewing it miles wide because I'm aiming over too much. It seems very hard to hit the area between the two. I can't believe I've never noticed it before but the highlights of every game now I'm disgusted with, the keepers could stand still in the middle of the goal for every shot and nothing would go in.

I'm in the same boat shooting wise, I'm finding it very hard to put the ball where I want to, unless its a side foot tap in...:(

Maybe your analogh stick is getting a bit worn so that it is hard to make small adjustments smoothly?

If not, then I would suggest putting the shooting to "semi" rather than "manual".

With "Manual", the player will basically shoot where you aim with the stick. That means that if you are far from goal, the goalmouth will only be a few degrees wide, and you only have a very few "notches" on the analog stick that will result in aiming on goal.

With "Semi" however, the game will reduce the angles available, meanign that the goal mouth takes up more useful range on the analog stick aim.

So aiming for example straight up on the screen will result in the shot going 30 degrees to the left-up direction with "semi", rather than going straight up with "Manual".
Meaning that the game aims more towards the goal, and you thus have more available analog stick space for aiming on goal. The range of the stick only spreads out a bit on both sides of the posts, so you have alot easier time to aim properly, while still having "manual" aim. It's just that when you press the shot button, you want to shoot on goal most of the time, and so having the shot button be as "free" as the longpass or pass butons is kind of redundant.

Hope my point comes across, I feel like I've repeated myself a few timea already. :)

PS3:

FINALLY got the chance to try this game online and it was AWESOME! No lag with the PS3, the pace of the game changed a few times depending on the situations and score, the goals were never the same, felt very smooth and intense all the same. Either it's online or the game... but it was a good experience none the less.

FIFA feels pretty awesome playing multi-player,

Getting okay at this, can't win headers though. When the ball is in the air do you position your player with the run button or the jostle button? I can see the logic in using jostle when you're right next to someone but when you want to attack it surely it's better to come steaming in on it with sprint?

Atm I'm using jostle as I would R2 on PES, i.e. to move the player when the ball is in the air. Isn't helping me.

Tbh I think it's nigh on impossible to defend some crosses from some of the game's better crossers, but any help is cool.

Getting okay at this, can't win headers though. When the ball is in the air do you position your player with the run button or the jostle button? I can see the logic in using jostle when you're right next to someone but when you want to attack it surely it's better to come steaming in on it with sprint?

Atm I'm using jostle as I would R2 on PES, i.e. to move the player when the ball is in the air. Isn't helping me.

Tbh I think it's nigh on impossible to defend some crosses from some of the game's better crossers, but any help is cool.

I am slowly getting better as I am figuring the timing on when to jump to meet the header at the apex of my jump. Another obvious is the match-up with who you are going against for the header. Positioning is also important... I have trouble sometimes defending the crosses into the box.

Yes you use the jostle button + left stick to position yourself as the ball's coming in the air, then press and hold the shoot button for a strong clearance, or just press it as the ball arrives for a header on goal.

Some things that bother me about Fifa

-The crowd being so far away from the pitch
-The crowd look fucking awful and dont even move when you score. I wish they would jump around like they do in PES. I was wondering why you dont the feeling like you've scored in Fifa and I think its to do with this as well as not seeing the crowd as well as my next point.
-Theres barely any reaction from the crowd to scoring a goal, and if it does, it comes about a second after you've scored. A really annoying delay.
-The player models still annoy me and the players dont look like they should in real life. Some of the faces are awful
-Lack of a decent edit mode. Pisses me off how we can't edit appearences for players like in PES.
-The lineups, subs, transfers problems in Manager Mode
-The fact that I can attack a team for 90 minutes and be all over them with something ridiculous like 20 shots to 1 and they still score and beat me. This is on Pro mode. Doesn't happen all the time but when it does its fucking annoying.
-Lack of weather effects
-The fade outs and fade ins to celebrations after you've scored.. WHY.. this doesnt happen on TV. Celebrations are crap and feel boring too. They should have context celebrations like in PES. If you score in the last minute they celebrate with subs etc
-Response times are still really annoying me
-Ball is still way too floaty when playing long balls or crossing it.
-The random dark patches on the pitch in a night match
-No night matches in Manager Mode
-No trophy celebrations
-No FA Cup Final at Wembley.. its some random home team stadium
-Players dont feel individual. Kaka feels no different to Lampard. C.Ronaldo feels no different to Hleb.

Don't get wrong, I enjoy the game but things like this stop me from playing it and piss me off to an extreme.

Last edited:

Some things that bother me about Fifa

-The crowd being so far away from the pitch
-The crowd look fucking awful and dont even move when you score. I wish they would jump around like they do in PES. I was wondering why you dont the feeling like you've scored in Fifa and I think its to do with this as well as not seeing the crowd as well as my next point.
-Theres barely any reaction from the crowd to scoring a goal, and if it does, it comes about a second after you've scored. A really annoying delay.
-The player models still annoy me and the players dont look like they should in real life. Some of the faces are awful
-Lack of a decent edit mode. Pisses me off how we can't edit appearences for players like in PES.
-The lineups, subs, transfers problems in Manager Mode
-The fact that I can attack a team for 90 minutes and be all over them with something ridiculous like 20 shots to 1 and they still score and beat me. This is on Pro mode. Doesn't happen all the time but when it does its fucking annoying.
-Lack of weather effects
-The fade outs and fade ins to celebrations after you've scored.. WHY.. this doesnt happen on TV. Celebrations are crap and feel boring too. They should have context celebrations like in PES. If you score in the last minute they celebrate with subs etc
-Response times are still really annoying me
-Ball is still way too floaty when playing long balls or crossing it.
-The random dark patches on the pitch in a night match
-No night matches in Manager Mode
-No trophy celebrations
-No FA Cup Final at Wembley.. its some random home team stadium
-Players dont feel individual. Kaka feels no different to Lampard. C.Ronaldo feels no different to Hleb.

Don't get wrong, I enjoy the game but things like this stop me from playing it and piss me off to an extreme.

Very good thoughts mate. Why dont you post them in the FIFA forum???

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=69

I definitely see where you are coming from Noted:

I as well noticed that immediately playing into FIFA, the atmosphere is seriously lacking. That's what makes "soccer" matches simply amazing, the crowds, chants, celebration and glory! It is truly INTENSE. For some reason, EA have not created this same feeling!

The fans lack any dimensional character or emotion and the player celebrations after the match never let me feel like they really just scored the equalizer or gamer winner!

Regretfully, I slightly, just slightly notice some of the same player likeness regardless of who I am using. Why this is, I have no clue. I also concur with the delay, what is up with that?

I am still enjoying this game so far, so, no major complaints, yet!

Press any direction on the d-pad and he'll place the ball for a freekick or penalty.

Thanks for the response Placebo. I'll give it a try tonite. Have yet to play an online game with you. You're always playing Manager Mode, Manager Mode, Manager Mode .... :P

Yes you use the jostle button + left stick to position yourself as the ball's coming in the air, then press and hold the shoot button for a strong clearance, or just press it as the ball arrives for a header on goal.

Thank you - I think the problem is not timing the jump properly. I am still in PES habits.

Overall though, you gotta admit this game is some step forward from what FIFA was a few years ago. I never thought I'd be playing over 200 games on FIFA by this stage of the year.

PES2009 has to rescue the freaking series to be real. FIFA 09 just needs to perfect the series.

Along with Noted's points (and some good ones bud), I think:

- Headers need to be a little more winable for the player against the CPU than they are at present.
- Dynamic weather doesn't matter too much, let;s just get some rain and maybe some snow.
- Crowd needs to be more active, not with sound (it's great) but with graphical response.
- Advantage rule goes on for too long.
- Some blatent fouls you get away with and the CPU gets away with are a bit stupid. Need to be stricter with that.
- Need some errors with officiating. Bad offsides calls, etc.
- Players needs to lose thier cool, i.e. a few bad tackles on them and they get reckless themselves. Red cards for bad tackles needs to happen in open play (not just last man).

Anyway, from where FIFA has come, this is a great game and I love still playing it. The fact so many of us are still playing it says something, we'd normally have ditched it by now.

Have yet to play an online game with you. You're always playing Manager Mode, Manager Mode, Manager Mode .... :P

Well you won't be seeing me online for a while, my Xbox is now "online unfriendly", fortunately we talked about buying a 2nd Xbox the day before anyway, so the wife and I have one each and can play side by side in the bedroom (also need to buy a 42" LCD for the bedroom to go next to the 32"), so until I become "online friendly" again I'll be offline, and unable to upload goals :(

Hopefully there'll be some kind of special offer either over Christmas or for leading up to February (Chinese new year), current best deal is Xbox 360 Elite with no games for $799 SG (£272).

A couple months in, and I wondered what level of assist everyone's settled in with..?

I first switched to manual for my through balls, after increasing frustration with the "assisted" through balls not going where I wanted them, and after some adjustment, I really enjoy it more on manual.

From there, I tried passing on manual, and I'm not quite certain what I think of that - I don't mind my passes being a bit more errant BUT when I couple that with the fact that the players often don't RUN to my errant passes, sometimes I get frustrated - but I've left it on manual for the time being.

In short, I'm playing manual everything except shooting (on semi) right now.

What're you guys playing nowadays..?

Settled with, now let me think ...Semi shooting, semi passing, semi crossing, manual through balls and manual lobs.

I'll tell you what, its a deal mate! The first game I play with manual shooting will be our Championship match :)

I played a ranked match earlier with my first time on manual and my god you have got to be dead on accurate.

the amount of 1 on ones i had where ive clipped the post and I lost 1-0 boo

but Its the first time ive actually got the ball to go where i want it (well almost)

Anybody have any clue as to how/what/where there might be some way to get your backs to come up into the box for corner kicks? I've tried setting their Defensive level to Low, gave them a forward attacking arrow...don't know what else to try. Seems no matter what they only creep toward the outer edge of the 18 at best and then turn and hightail it as soon as the ball is played. Almost thru my 3rd season in Manager Mode and haven't had a defender score a goal yet :|

Last edited:

It seems like we're finally going to learn what was fixed/tweaked in the 5v5 update, anyone who visits the EA forums will know I've been continually pushing for them to answer for the last 6 weeks, finally got this back by Email:

A couple of guys who needed to approve the release were away but it's been released to the community managers about five minutes ago so hopefully the details will be released on the site shortly.

Anybody have any clue as to how/what/where there might be some way to get your backs to come up into the box for free kicks? I've tried setting their Defensive level to Low, gave them a forward attacking arrow...don't know what else to try. Seems no matter what they only creep toward the outer edge of the 18 at best and then turn and hightail it as soon as the ball is played. Almost thru my 3rd season in Manager Mode and haven't had a defender score a goal yet :|
I don't know, but this is a feature I've always wanted to have in my footy games - the ability to set your formations for corner kicks and other set pieces that are close in...

If I'm playing ManU, I _absolutely_ want Vidic and/or Rio in the box. Wayne, Carlos, Giggs and Scholes aren't exactly your prototypical set piece targets... ;)

Back
Top Bottom