FIFA 08

Re: FIFA 08 (Next Gen Chat)

This thread is mental

imagine what release day is gonna be like

hopefully we wil have a Fifa forum by then

Played two halves, Man Utd v Bayern Munich. I've been asked on MSN three times to sum it up in one word. The only word I can think of is "beautiful". It really, really is.

The demo lets you choose your control scheme and how manual you want the controls to be (in four different areas, passing, through-passing, crossing and I forget the last one, the missus is watching TV now, the cow).

The response time is definitely better, a lot lot better. Honest to God, it feels so natural (hence why the one-word impression I have is "beautiful"). You can do fast instant passing, or slow intricate stuff. It feels like real life, so much more so than any other game I've played (especially with the faster response time). To say that you can play any style you want, is absolutely 100% spot-on. I'm trying to play it slow and Bayern are pressuring me with a higher tempo style of play. Even on semi-pro I'm having a hard time - so far I've drawn 0-0 twice, but the defenders have been under constant pressure from the opposition. I'm having trouble playing them.

Not so sure on each player feeling different, but I'm noticing a big difference between each TYPE of player, definitely. I was trying to sprint with Scholes and Carrick, and it was as if I wasn't pressing sprint. So fucking slow... I was thinking, "oh crap, the game is WAY too slow", but then all of a sudden I got the ball to Ronaldo and ZOOOOM. Like playing a different game. They've got the pace spot on in my opinion.

I haven't even mentioned the first thing I did yet... Play in the arena to see the shootiing. I can't even describe the shooting, you're going to have to play it for yourself. The aiming is perfect, the shot-power is perfect, you can get it in the top corner or you can miss, it's all down to you. I was blown away by the shooting, so much so that I was thinking to myself, "did I really play FIFA 07 and UEFA CL?"

They've combined the responsiveness of PES with the manual-ness and everything else of FIFA. Best football game I've ever played from the looks of this demo, no doubt.

The tricks... Well, I'm not having much joy with them. I tried to do one with Carrick and he literally fell over. I was laughing my head off but then they nearly scored (thank God for the post - the ball PINGS back by the way, perfect). I got the ball to Ronaldo and managed a little shimmy, but then he was tackled and fell flat on his face. Trust me, the tricks are no easy thing to get away with. They leave you wide open to being tackled, unless you use the exact right one at the exact right time.

I'm so fucking happy with it. So you're waiting for negatives, right? Well... Seriously, I'm under-disappointed. I love having stuff to bitch about but honestly, they're making it hard for me.

Sprinting with some players might as well not be there, like I said earlier. Trying to get Carrick to run is like trying to get blood out of a stone. And I've seen ONE goalkeeper mistake so far - but it was totally realistic (dived to the left and tried to save with both hands but the ball slipped and hit him in the chest, thankfully he then recovered before one of the Germans could pounce).

Bayern have had a lot of (powerful) headers so far, don't know if that's a coincidence. Haven't seen one go in yet though, they've all gone over the bar.

And... That's it.

I'm in heaven. I hope it lasts.

Last edited:

Breaking news:

Xbox Live users in Singapore reach 3.2million off the back of Electronic Arts' new football release Fifa 08. An EA spokesman is surprised at the effect the Demo for the game has had on Xbox Live subscriptions. He is quoted in saying "A 200% increase in users is highly unusual, especially given that most are Businesses spread throughout the region".

Breaking news:

Xbox Live users in Singapore reach 3.2million off the back of Electronic Arts' new football release Fifa 08. An EA spokesman is surprised at the effect the Demo for the game has had on Xbox Live subscriptions. He is quoted in saying "A 200% increase in users is highly unusual, especially given that most are Businesses spread throughout the region".

ha ha thats quote of the day lol

Cheers Jay. It just keeps showing me the video of you doing tricks, even clicking on the Live Stream icon. Just wants to show your two videos :(

Thanks for summing it up there Jack, I'm so anxious to play it now!

Is Be A Pro in there?

I'm still on cloud nine, you guys know I love to moan but it's such a good game, there's very little to find fault with. Fouls have been spot on, although no cards shown as yet (disabled for demo?), goalkeepers have been spot on, but it's the passing that is making me so happy. The response time is, I would say, the same as PES6, and it makes the world of difference. Fast passes, slow passes, you've got time to do the lot, and the shots are totally organic as well.

Defences act like they should - they're quite deep for me but then I'm being attacked mercilessly so they should be like that, don't want to give them an open goal. They're trying to mark the Bayern players and it's so real to look at, holding people off and getting skinned.

Oh piss, September 28th is too long to wait.

Just to confirm, there's arena and half a match, no Be A Pro to play with.

Any issues with dumb goalies Jack? Headers in midfield looking okay?

to the dude that askd for my webcam link

http://www.stickam.com/profile/imanezjulio

click top right in the window

Latest screen grab from jays website...

on-fire-03.png

:shock:

Okay, just saw one dodgy thing... Shot in arena mode, mishit so it only had power of about 5% from outside the box... The goalkeeper jumped over it and let it in. Hopefully it's just a one-off or a arena bug, because they're rock-hard in the game. But, gulp.

They go down after tackles in the direction their body weight is on Nick, looks fine to me.

This is a fucking joke. I just borrowed a PS3 from my mates because my 360 is broken. Set up an Playstation Network account for him. I was getting ready for the demo then BAM! They release it in the fucking United States. So now I have to create a US account. But the question is when does the US PS Store update? Is it already out? Oh Well.

Just had a thought, I already have a US account on my PS3, might grab it from there until the EU FIFA comes out on the 360. That way I can play the demo without the hassle of creating a Singapore account on my 360.

Back
Top Bottom