FIFA 08 Manager Mode Adventure Thread

Well with the footy being pretty crap this afternoon Tim and myself carried on with our Atletico Manager Mode, here is how this afternoons results have gone so far...

Atletico 0 Valencia 0
Barca 2 Atletico 0
Copa Del Ray 2nd Round - Atletico 1 Espanyol 0
Atletico 2 Levante 0
Athletic Club 1 Atletico 0
Atletico 1 Mallorca 0
Villareal 0 Atletico 1
Copa Del Ray 3rd Round 1st Leg - Athletic Club 0 Atletico 3

Seems like we are getting the hang of this lark now with the only loss today coming against the cunts at Barca, there really is no stopping them

Are you guys playing in the same house?

I'm trying so hard not to make any gay references. In the same house, at the same time, doing manly things and playing manly games...

I take it the particular cup final is not always played at the same ground? I started in the lowly Div 2, though I'll be in the championship next season, I have done no better than a Johnstones paint run, so I've no idea which grounds are used..I thought it was always the same one, just not the right one! ;)

Cup finals are played at your home ground or the opposition's home ground, depending on which team is drawn at "home" in the final.

Well the way I look at it is that this is the first fully feature next gen Fifa, it was never likely they would put in the additional 24 leagues with all the clubs and players that entails, and then put in a fully featured, fully fleshed out, fully polished manager mode, I appreciate to many that's an apologist attitude but at the end of the day Fifa08 plays a damn fine game of football and manager mode is damn enjoyable (bugs and flaws and warts and omissions included), it's got enough to keep me entertained until next year easy, I'm still only 5 seasons in to my 15 season Sheffield Wednesday career mode, then after that I'm gonna do the 15 seasons in 15 difference countries achievement which should be fun, then you've got all the various challenges in challenge mode to complete, then you've got a number of online modes to mess around in, not a bad package really eh?

And what's the alternative on next gen? PES/WE? Riiight ;)

i started again yesterday as Derby on World Class

i have about 6 poins out of 6 games and its a refreshing change from the online stuff

Lampard scored a 90th minute winner agaisnt me and it was a stunner, i can see little improvements in the AI now

I just started Manager mode for the first time. Can anyone tell me if there's manager movement? Or am i stuck with the same club forever?

At the end of each season you are asked if you wish to stay at your current club, if you say no you can then choose any club that is available for your current manager prestige level.

Nice. And yes like Nick said, would be better if we get offers from other clubs to look at. Well atleast i can change clubs :)

Conceded a last minute goal from Frank Lampard at the end of the last season, the problem was it was in Division 1 and he was playing for Southend United must have been a free transfer.

Went from Semi pro to Pro in division 1 for the last 10 games couldn't score even 1 on 1 the keeper would always save my shots in the corners.
still didn't come close to concede goals so most games where 0-0

But seem to be doing better in the Championship after i Bought Lennon and got a whole squad on free like Ledley King, Pauletta and Rosina.

Championship
Played 7 Won 4 Drew 2 Lost 1

Chelsea 08/09

--------------Akinfeev-------------

-Richards---Terry---Toure---Lahm-

----J. Cole--Lampard--Arshavin----

-----SWP-----Drogba----Sinclair-----

P10 W9 D1 L0

Arsenal beat me to the title last year, I was kinda happy because I'm a gooner but...meh I didn't win it. Won the Champions League tho!

It is Tim, tis called the EFA Cup I think. Playing my second season in it, lost in the Semi last year to Chelsea, who then played Spurs in the Final, and beat them.

Quality, thanks mate :) That's what me and CW are aiming for in our first season at Atlético! :D And here's a season update so far:

Atlético 0-0 Deportivo
Bilbao 1-1 Atlético (agg 1-4) - Copa del Rey, 3rd Round, 2nd Leg
Valladolid 0-4 Atlético
Atlético 0-1 Barcelona - Copa del Rey, Quarter Final, 1st Leg
Almeria 1-1 Atlético
Barcelona 0-1 Atlético AET: Atlético win 4-3 on pens - Copa del Rey, Quarter Final, 2nd leg
Atlético 2-0 Sevilla
Atlético 0-0 Zaragoza
Espanyol 2-0 Atlético
Atlético 1-0 Sevilla - Copa del Rey, Semi Final, 1st Leg
Atlético 0-0 Osasuna
Sevilla 1-1 Atlético (agg 1-2) - Copa del Rey, Semi Final, 2nd leg
Betis 0-2 Atlético
Atlético 0-0 Real Madrid
Getafe 0-1 Atlético
Atlético 1-1 Racing
Murcia 1-2 Atlético
Atlético 0-3 Recreativo
Valencia 1-1 Atlético

Phew, quite a hefty update really! :lol: 7 games left in the league season and we are 7th, level on points with Real Madrid who are 6th! Europe is still achievable!!! Barcelona next match, then not a bad run in at all.

The 2-1 win away at Murcia was fantastic, we had trailed more or less the whole game. Then in the 83rd minute, Luis Garcia pops up and scores an equaliser! Unbelievably, we kept pressing and in the 92nd minute, this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b6QF4YuIVo

We both celebrated that one! Me with the cross, CW with the finish :).

The highlight for me so far was beating Barcelona in the Quarter Final of the Copa del Rey on penalties, especially after being 1-0 down from the first leg, and even more special doing it AT the Nou Camp! :D. The final of the Copa del Rey is Recreativo v Atlético. We have knocked out 2 of the best teams, (Barca & Sevilla), and really deserve to win this, let's hope we do!

Barcelona are top of the league, Sevilla 2nd and Valencia 3rd, it's pretty close. Forlan has 14 goals in the league so far, but the leading El Pichichi is Luis Fabiano of Sevilla with 21 goals so far! Here's one we are proud of: Our goalkeeper, Leo Franco, has the most La Liga clean sheets, 20 :). Raúl Garcia and Perea have both had suspensions in the league for being booked 5 times. You can't fault their commitment :D.

We haven't had much money this season as spent a fair whack on fitness and staff upgrades. Getting to the Copa del Rey final was a loyalty bonus for our sponsor, so we are hoping to be able to dabble in the transfer market before next season. Our squad as a whole, does need strengthening if we are going to compete for La Liga.

Both myself and CW have the day off work tomorrow, so we are expecting to finish this season off - hopefully in style! :8):

EFA qualification is completely fucked as the 1st and 2nd teams from the Championship qualify, so as I won the Championship in my 1st and 3rd seasons and then won the League cup in the 4th I've qualified for it in every season so far, unfortunately this season I'm out of all cups so I need to try to finish in the top 5 or so I guess to be in Europe next season, although I'll be rather pissed if I come 5th and don't qualify but 2 Championship teams do :(

Regarding your fitness coach upgrades, I'd personally recommend you don't upgrade beyond 6, if you're like me and like to keep things a bit realistic, I went to 7 with mine and it's slightly too high, I like the fact that sometimes my first teamers are fatigued so I can use some of the reserves and give them a chance :)

Yep, that's what we've done mate :) When we have a midweek cup game, we need to rotate the squad a bit. As you say, keeps it realistic :) Hmm, doesn't sound good about the euro qualification, we'll see where we finish and keep you posted!

Wow! Tim7 and CW, you guys really make this game look realistic! Ooooh, I can't wait until I get my hands on it :)

Can I just ask, what difficulty are you on, and how are you both playing a season?

Sure this has been brought up before but has anyone else found Professional level very odd... the game seems to go into another mode, AI gets free kicks for nothing and the players start running all over in untouchable mode! Switch to World Class and it's much better the AI passes a little too well sometimes and yes the problems with nearly all loose balls and clearances going straight to the comp are still there, but the "cheats" for want of a better word are far far less.

Wow! Tim7 and CW, you guys really make this game look realistic! Ooooh, I can't wait until I get my hands on it :)

Can I just ask, what difficulty are you on, and how are you both playing a season?

Thanks ;) We are on professional difficulty and live close to each other so play when we meet up.

Back
Top Bottom