FIFA 08 Manager Mode Adventure Thread

I just started with Inter on Saturday night (to keep me awake for the boxing!) and I'm loving their formation - playing some great stuff - their squad is pretty deep with talent.

I usually try this too but don't see too much reward for it.

Often they end up coming back having hardly played at all.

I think in total i've loaned around 5 players out, i sent a player out who was quite decent aswell as a test to see whether they'd play him or not. I'm not expecting good results, more out of hope than anything.

I'm finding it a little frustrating that the opposing team doesn't rotate there team at all and plays players who are obviously absolutely exhausted and when i set Navas or Agbonglahor on them they leave them for dead everytime.

right I think ive decided myself, And Ive always liked Rosenborg so Im going to start with them and qualify for CL:D

And bring back Braaten :D:D

The whole AI tactic setup, AI transfers, AI substitution system is an absolute shambolic farce, it's one of the things that really lets an otherwise very decent manager mode down, there's no process to them buying players, they don't look at their squads and see where they're weak and buy accordingly, they don't make any kind of appropriate squad juggling during a match, Newcastle have given a couple of laughable examples for this in manager mode, they play 433, Viduka in the centre with Owen and Martens as LF and RF, they usually take Martens off during the match, so guess who they sub him with Celestine fucking Babayaro, despite having Alan Smith and James Milner in the team. Worse to come, Viduka has now retired, so I just played them in my first league match and guess who's playing as their ST, their target man? Aaron fucking Lennon who I sold to them the season before last, it's pathetic. If I get to question anyone from EA again I'm going to really give them shit about some of the awfulness they inflicted on us by lazy game design (hopefully I'll be able to chat to someone at GCA in October same as this year).

@ Placebo - spot on mate - it's the single biggest factor of the game that gets me annoyed.

The fact that it's always the same subs everytime too is so laughable.

Oh, the other really annoying thing is how many little free kicks the CPU gets...

Still loving the game though but i'm not as addicted as i could be if these things were sorted.

True - I read before that you've played 300 games - I think I'm not far behind you so I guess it's good that I'm not more addicted than I am!

Scored a great over-the-shoulder volley with Crespo last night - after giving up with Cardiff I started again with Inter and playing some gorgeous stuff.

Hey, someone mentioned the scouting earlier - there are some really decent players to be signed through this method too - I keep my scout working all year round and usually end up with about 6 players a season extra.

I don't do the whole scouted player thing, to me it seems a bit "cheaty" to have these exceptionally high rated generated teenagers being found for you to sign, but as you see from the fact I'm using a 39 year old Steve Watson in the midst of my defence for league matches I'm getting a bit obsessive with the whole "realism" aspect of things ;)

Hey guys need some help for transfers. I'm playing as Liverpool adn still cannot convince world class players to come to my team! Well I bought Van Der Vart for $40m! Well it isn't worth it!

How do you bargain on the transfer market????! Thx!

I only started manager mode couple of days ago as Chievo Manager in Serie B. First thing i've done was upgrade the fitness staff to level 5. Then a couple of games later to level 6. Guess i won't go further because i think this is realistic enough, well to me it is.

Played 5 games now. 1st was an away game against Messina and managed to nick a draw. 2nd was an away game against Firmani and lost 0-1. The board got furious and threatened to sack me. I responded saying they couldn't do without me and apparently they agreed lol. Anyway 3rd game was a home one and won 3-0. Then won my 4th, which was an away game, then my 5th. I'm currently in 2nd position :D Ooh and after my 5th game the media wanted to meet my players and my players were begging me to accept, which i did. That really helped my fanbase rise plus the players morale.

Don't have a problem scoring goals really. I think i'm already addicted to this!

Its been a few days since the last update from me on how mine and Tims Manager Mode is going so here is the latest...

Atletico 3-0 Sevilla - La Liga
Depor Alaves 0-1 Atletico - La Liga
Atletico 2-0 Racing Santander - La Liga
Osasuna 0-0 Atletico - La Liga

RCD Mallorca 1-1 Atletico - Copa Del Rey Round 3 1st Leg

Atletico 1-0 Valencia - La Liga

Atletico 0-0 RCD Mallorca - Copa Del Rey Round 3 2nd Leg

It was just after our Cup exit that the transfer window openend and we managed to make a couple of signings. One of them being Scott Parker and the other guys name has escaped me for the time being but he is a damn fine player also

Recreativo 0-0 Atletico - La Liga
Atletico 1-2 Recreativo - La Liga
Valencia 1-0 Atletico - La Liga

Brentford 0-1 Atletico - UEFA Cup Round 2 1st Leg

Atletico 1-0 Osasuna - La Liga

Atletico 1-0 Brentford - UEFA Cup Round 2 2nd Leg

Here is how our current La Liga position looks after 22 games.
ed3f6a5a47.jpg

I know its not as good a picture as last time but Tim took that and this is the best I can do with what I have.

With us also defeating the might of Brentford here is how the UEFA Cup draw is looking.
7f35b5ac18.jpg

Some very big teams in this competition this year, its gonna be a tough one winning this. In saying that though it is the one real trophy we are playing for so we are going for it!

The other signing was the right back Christian Zaccardo, a proper full back, I'm very impressed with him.

We got Parker for £4.5M and Zaccardo for £4.6M

I just wish there was a way to edit player stats and tactics to use in manager mode.... still playing in the love hate mode... scoring is my biggest moan looking past all the faults... I have sooo many 0-0 1-0 0-1 games. It's like old Arsenal.
*edit*
Has any body had an injury last more than a week?? 6th season and getting maybe 3 or 4 a season that's all, this needs sorting too....

Last edited:
Has any body had an injury last more than a week?? 6th season and getting maybe 3 or 4 a season that's all, this needs sorting too....
We have only had a couple of 1 week injuries too. Quite unrealistic and does need fixing, you're right.

I'm assuming that the fitness coach affects received injuries and injury length as well as affecting fatigue? I'd like it if they separated it into fitness coach and physio so they can be updated separately (or not) as each person prefers so we could have realistic injuries and realistic injury lengths, I think EA are probably worried about all the 12 year olds screaming at them because Ronaldo broke his leg and missed the whole season or whatever.......

I'm assuming that the fitness coach affects received injuries and injury length as well as affecting fatigue? I'd like it if they separated it into fitness coach and physio so they can be updated separately (or not) as each person prefers so we could have realistic injuries and realistic injury lengths, I think EA are probably worried about all the 12 year olds screaming at them because Bernado Corradi broke his leg and missed the whole season or whatever.......

;)

I have plenty of >0 or 1 goal matches, what skill level you playing on?
Playing on a mix of pro and World class with Semi on the shooting... I'm getting chances but the keepers are amazing.. hitting the woodwork quite a bit too... :roll:

the injury thing is becoming a big part of the game in many ways with teams resting big players to avoid in juries for key games etc, it would be nice if they could sort it...

Last edited:
[size=+1]Racing 0-1 Atlético
PSV 1-1 Atlético - UEFA Cup 3rd Round, 1st Leg
Atlético 0-0 Alaves
Sevilla 0-1 Atlético
Atlético 0-0 PSV: Atlético win on away goals - UEFA Cup 3rd Round, 2nd Leg
Atlético 2-1 Real Madrid
Getafe 0-3 Atlético[/size]

Well, overall a fantastic little session - unbeaten! Delighted by beating Sevilla and then Real Madrid :) The top of the league is getting very close indeed, (apart from Barca), and we are confident we can push on and get a top 4 finish this season and guarantee Champions League football at the Vicente Calderon next season! :D

Still going well in the UEFA Cup - Did more than enough to see off PSV on away goals, and probably the best draw we could have hoped for in the Quarter Final:

Benfica v Atlético

We managed to avoid, Juventus, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Liverpool!!!

Another fantastic Simao free kick in the Getafe game, this time scored by CW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALo3C-7cX5c

And here are a couple of goals from a previous session, the first a nice shot from Valera into the top corner, scored by me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljE7vdr4ic

And this one was a fantastic team move, culminating in some great wing play by Simao and a lovely first time volley from Forlan, scored by CW, created by me :D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvuu7iozwyE

Last edited:
Playing on a mix of pro and World class with Semi on the shooting... I'm getting chances but the keepers are amazing.. hitting the woodwork quite a bit too... :roll:

I play on professional with thru/long balls manual, shooting and short passing semi, I think 2-1 is probably my average score, of course have many high scoring matches and some 0-0, league games as mentioned previously I use only default Sheffield Wednesday players improved by experience, after 7 seasons the team is fairly decent :)

Played a match early in the season and had my worst ever result, 7-1 to Villa, I just fell apart and couldn't handle Carew and their pacey lf/rf, got revenge somewhat in the league cup knocking them out 4-1 :)

What a weird end to the season, mid table for much of it, drawing far too many and going behind to early goals meant chasing too many games. Had two votes of confidence from the board and after finishing 10th, last season I was beginning to think the chop was imminent.

So I went with three at the back to try and boss the midfield and got hammered 4-1 by Ipswich, so I went back to the drawing board and tweaked a 4-2-2-2 tactic and won the next game 3-0 against Norwich, the next match was against the run away leaders Man City with a +45 goal difference, lost 1-0 but was in the game. Unfortunately all my big players were on their knees so I had to rely on a second string team to play second place Palace who were the only team keeping any where near City.

Changed tactic to one up front and was two down before halftime, so I changed back to the 4-2-2-2 and put my very tired strike force back on. Instant success with a penalty and a corner to pull back to 2-2, they then were awarded a very soft free kick on the edge of my box 2-3. I kept chasing and with 2 Min's to go slotted home a scrappy goal with the ball bouncing around the box... Joy, then deep in stoppage time I was caught out after my left back missed judged a free header and they scored with the last kick of the game to win 3-4.. gutted and annoyed.

I dropped my left back and played out an unbeaten run of 6 games, with 4 wins. Finishing 4th though a long way off promotion. The board were not happy but I survived to fight another day, but In the last 10 games I almost doubled my goal tally... This game has me going to the same extremes as Pro Evo used to, from cursing the cheats and the glitches to lauding the game play and the need to play football, instead of attack attack attack...

Today I am mostly loving Fifa :rolleyes:

Am on the verge of taking Accrington Stanley to the EPL title:

Team (played-pts)
1. Man Utd (35-82)
2. ACCRINGTON (35-81)
3. Chelsea (36-72)
4. L'pool (35-72)

Games left:
ACCRINGTON vs. Newcastle
Birmingham vs. ACCRINGTON
ACCRINGTON vs. Man Utd

Am on the verge of taking Accrington Stanley to the EPL title:

Team (played-pts)
1. Man Utd (35-82)
2. ACCRINGTON (35-81)
3. Chelsea (36-72)
4. L'pool (35-72)

Games left:
ACCRINGTON vs. Newcastle
Birmingham vs. ACCRINGTON
ACCRINGTON vs. Man Utd

Jesus man, how many seasons have you played?!?!

Team (played-pts)
1. Man Utd (37-88)
2. ACCRINGTON (37-87)
3. L'pool (37-75)
4. Chelsea (37-72)

Games left:
ACCRINGTON 2-1 Newcastle
Birmingham 1-4 ACCRINGTON
ACCRINGTON vs. Man Utd

Just finished my third season with Hammarby(Sweden). I was expected to defend the championship and the season started of quite well. Well, to be honest, not very good at all but I did win most of the games. I lost count of how many games I scored the winning goal in injury time and twice my opponents scored own goals in injury time - one of them was really funny, but you won't get to see it yet. Saving it for my video, best of Hammarby with lots of beautiful goals, dribbles, saves and tackles. ;)

Anyway, as the season went on I played better and better and I didn't got any real competition in the league and could quite comfortable secure the second leaguetitel in two years. In the end of the season I switched to World Class and I won the semie finals in the cup 2-2 against IFK Göteborg on penaltys, Charlie Davies scored two absolutely great goals. And the final against Malmö FF couldn't have got any better. Joakim Jensen had decleared that he would end his career after the season so I let him play a few games in the end. Funny enough, in the final he played his best match ever, and it included - savning the ball on the goalline TWICE, 100% passing accuracy..and the winning goal on a penalty wich Charlie Davies got in the 77th minute (my first penalty in three seasons by the way). Won 1-0 and yet again I won the double.

So far everything great. What really piss me off though, is that I did not get to play in Europe. Why the fuck is that? I have no idea, I won both the league AND the cup! Any idea why? I'm really pissed off.

Next season I will play all games on World Class. Oddly enough I play a lot better that way and my passing accuracy is way better. Oh, and I've got all setting on manual. Passing, shooting etc.:applause:

Accrington 2 - 1 Man Utd.
Keeper saved a pen. in the last minute

Taken the Rangers job now, beat Celtic 2-1 and Hibs 3-2.
FOLLOW FOLLOW!

Just started one as Hamburger SV. I've only played 3 games so far. The first against Wolfsburg finished in a 0-0 draw, boring game where no team could take charge.

Next up was Hansa Rostock. Won that game 2-0 after goals from De Jong and Van Der Vaart.

After that it was time to face the mighty Bayern Munich. I dominated them in the first half but could not score. Second half they took over and Luca Toni headed in 0-1 from a corner. Impossible to win headers against that guy! But there would be something for the home supporters to cheer about. In the 86th minute substitute Olic broke free and scored the equaliser.

I'm really enjoying this for the first time ever (manager mode that is). I have sold a couple of squad players and brought in Antonio Cassano, just to boost the team morale a little. :lol:
I also bought Nuri Sahin from Feyenoord.

Back
Top Bottom