Everton Thread

Re: An Everton View 07/08

Slaven bilic was offered everton job!!

New deals no replacement for old values

BILL KENWRIGHT held a secret meeting with Slaven Bilic to line him up as the next manager of Everton Football Club.

Everton’s chairman insisted the talks would not have resulted in the immediate dismissal of David Moyes and that Bilic, Croatia’s outstanding young coach and former Blues defender, was only an “insurance policy” in case “communication problems” spiralled out of control.

Before you collapse in a state of shock, we must stress that the preceding two paragraphs are a work of fiction. Could you imagine how you would have felt had the above actually been true? What would it have said about the underhand way in which the club was being run?

With so many clubs being the subject of takeovers these days, it is only natural that supporters want their clubs to be next in line when the latest sugar daddy becomes intoxicated by the razzmatazz of the Premier League and decides he wants a slice.

A word, though, of warning: be careful for what you wish.

This week’s extraordinary shenanigans across Stanley Park was the latest reaffirmation that foreign buyers spell trouble. Think for a minute of all those clubs who have had some sort of major investment and you will see storm clouds everywhere you look.

Let’s start with Chelsea. Yes, Roman Abramovich and the power of the Russian rouble has helped them to two Premier League titles, but a clash of personalities between him and his manager led to Jose Mourinho being jettisoned last September.

That was the bitter climax of an eight-month feud that started when Abramovich would not let Mourinho buy a defender during last January’s transfer window, the owner poking his nose in first team affairs. Yes, there is no disputing Mourinho got too big for his boots.

But a popular decision? No chance. Sit inside Stamford Bridge when things do not go to plan during a game and you will hear Mourinho’s name being sung incessantly. No matter what Avram Grant achieves, Chelsea’s fans will always yearn for their Portuguese man of war.

What about Arsenal? David Dein was the driving force behind appointing Arsene Wenger and helped the Gunners become one of Europe’s footballing powerhouses, but he was forced to quit after he pressed for the club to accept Stanley Kroenke’s takeover bid last April.

Meanwhile, we have also seen Carson Yeung’s laughable attempts to become Birmingham City’s owner and Thaksin Shinawatra – a man in whom Amnesty International have grave misgivings – proclaim his ‘love’ for Manchester City after failing in bids for two other clubs.

West Ham have become one of the least popular clubs around thanks to their reckless approach to transfers under Eggert Magnusson, Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble are clearly doing a stellar job at Anfield while what more can be said about the circus that is Newcastle?

How things change. Cast your mind back a decade at Everton to the days of Peter Johnson’s reign, which included a tense battle against relegation and the chairman selling the club’s star asset behind the manager’s back.

That incident with Duncan Ferguson was indicative of the way things were going at Goodison Park then, a sorry chapter that left the Blues open to ridicule as they washed their dirty linen in public. It is not a period that is revisited with any fondness.

Fast forward to the present day and you could not wish to see a more contrasting picture. Now chairman and manager are working together for the common good, they trust each other implicitly and, as a result, Everton are flourishing.

“I have been lucky in that I had a great chairman at Preston and I’ve got a great chairman and board here too,” Moyes said recently. “I have built a team here and it is my intention to take the team further forward in the next few years. We are a stable club.”

Inevitably, there will be certain supporters who crave a benefactor from across The Pond or wherever to come and pump a fistful of dollars into the Blues to help accelerate the push for a place in the top four.

But as exciting as that may seem, why risk upsetting the status quo by inviting in someone with no knowledge or feel for the club when things are ticking along smoothly? As we have seen this week, events elsewhere have shown that the grass is not necessarily greener.

Takeovers might be what you want, yet if you end up losing what you had is it really worth it? True, football is no longer the game we grew up with but, for the time being, it’s clear to see Everton are a club where traditional values remain. Money can get you most things but it can’t buy class.

Re: Slaven bilic was offered everton job!!

had me going there man near had a heart attack!!! good to see us getting recognition for once tho, good read that.

coyb, cant wait til wednesday atmosphere is gonna be off the hook, chelski only took up 1000 tickets of their allocation the rest go on general sale on monday, so itll be 39,000 blood thirsty evertonians v there glory hunting 1000, poor support boro would probably take more haha

COYB!!!!!!!!

2-0 lads! Only 41 minutes gone! C'MON!

Moyes upbeat for Europe

Everton boss David Moyes is confident that his team can claim the final UEFA Champions League spot.

The Toffees are currently fourth in the Premier League ahead of man city , liverpool then villa,Moyes believes his side have an advantage in the form of their consistency. Everton have won nine of their last 13 Premier League games, their most recent success coming with victory over City last week."I see Everton as having the biggest advantage of all the teams ," Moyes told The Sun.

"I honestly believe we are in the best position to go on from here.

"Why? Because we are playing well and we've been playing well consistently for months.

"It has given us momentum and that could be crucial over the second half of the season.

"We have a great chance of finishing fourth. Our form is good, our confidence is good, we are in good shape and I have real belief and trust in these players."

Last edited:

Wigan 1 - Everton 2

JoleonLescott_624614.jpg

Titus Bramble's first-half error proved costly for Wigan Athletic as Everton ran out 2-1 victors at the JJB Stadium.

Steve Bruce's men were by far the better side in the first period but they were twice punished for their slack defending, with Andy Johnson and Joleon Lescott both on target for the away side.

The opener came on 39 minutes when Bramble made a complete mess of a backpass, allowing Johnson to run in on goal before slotting coolly through Chris Kirkland's legs.

It took The Toffees just three minutes to double their lead as a completely unmarked Lescott smashed home from close range.

Wigan did hit back in the second period when Jason Koumas' deep free-kick ricocheted off the unfortunate Phil Jagielka, but it was not enough for The Latics and, despite a brief spell of pressure, Everton ran out 2-1 winners.

AJ_WIGAN.jpg

Re: An Everton View.

Well done lads, you are showing the other half of L'pool that you have a better manager and organisation in the Premier League. How much has Moyes spent on players compared to Rafa in the last 3 years? I'd love to know. I hope you lot qualify for the CL, I really do. :)

Well thanks mr m! You and i both know we are an honest hard working club and are now getting our just rewards, although mr moyes has been slowly building for the last six years rafa beneathus and co. ;) (been looking forward to saying that) have always done the wrong thing , trying to win glory TO FAST with BUCKETS of money , rafa aint got a clue in the transfer market , damn he has bought some donkeys! in a nut shell , the little boys across the road laugh at us for releasing a dvd after we stuffed them 3-0 last season to help fund profit for the club , they sell the soul of there club to the yanks to try and be another chelsea! Look where thats got them ha!
Any way i think id prefer to buy the dvd my self :D

table.jpg

IN MOYES WE TRUST.

Depleted Blues turn up the heat in Premier push

NUMBERS might be thin on the ground but a lack of bodies is not going to scupper Everton's ambitions as the season takes on a new intensity.

Having spent the run up to Christmas jostling for position with their rivals, David Moyes’ squad find themselves in the top four after beating wigan and liverpool failing to win again.

nine wins, two draws and two defeats from their last 13 Premier League fixtures confirm in black and white the impression that Everton are one of the form teams in the country, and such an impressive run of results has only helped build confidence

Now, though, is not the time for standing back and admiring the recent handiwork. If anything, things are going to become even harder for the Blues as week in, week out for the next two months they will be pitted against teams who are battling to achieve something tangible.

Wigan are fighting for survival, Tottenham Hotspur and Blackburn Rovers will feel they can qualify for Europe, ditto Aston Villa, Manchester City and Portsmouth. Quite simply, the pressure will be unrelenting as Everton seek a spot in the promised land known as the Champions League.

The first task, of course, comes on Sunday at the JJB Stadium, an arena where the Blues have never been beaten. Admittedly, they have only visited twice but it was at this time 12 months ago that victory over Wigan gave Everton the impetus to push on for Europe.

Two second half goals from Mikel Arteta started a run that saw them lose just one of their next 12 matches and should there be a repeat this time, the Toffees will certainly be vying for a top four place when, to borrow a phrase from racing parlance, the field swing for home.

Things, of course, are not going to be easy. Losing Joseph Yobo, Steven Pienaar and Ayegbeni Yakubu – all of whom are on international duty at the African Cup of Nations – has been a bitter pill to swallow, James McFadden is on the verge of leaving and Leon Osman is short of fitness.

But strength comes in adversity and Everton’s squad will not be hiding behind excuses such as fatigue if things don’t happen to go their way, yet such is the confidence in the camp at present, there is no reason to believe that results are suddenly going to go awry.

Manuel Fernandes, signed on loan until the end of the season, will give options in midfield, Osman should soon be given the green light to add verve in attack, while there are three strikers more than capable of making up for Yakubu’s absence.

Victor Anichebe and James Vaughan did nothing to harm their chances of filling Yakubu’s boots during last Saturday’s 1-0 win over Manchester City but Sunday may see Andrew Johnson given his chance to impress.

Johnson left the JJB Stadium in the back of an ambulance 12 months ago and has endured a catalogue of fitness problems since, namely two ankle operations plus a series of little niggles that have checked his progress.

However, the England international is in high spirits as Everton gear up for their next round of challenges and points to the spirit around Finch Farm as being key to helping the players achieve their goals in the coming weeks and months.

“There is a tremendous atmosphere around the squad and Everton Football Club is a great place to be at the moment,” said Johnson. “The club is on the up, the team has put together some good runs and it’s a great place to come and train.

“Everyone is on a high and I’m just pleased to be a part of that. The team is in great form at the moment and I’m looking forward to hopefully getting some minutes on the pitch. Although there is strong competition for places among the forwards, we all want each other to do well.

“We are all pleased for each other when that happens, as we all want to get to the same place. We want to win the same kind of trophies. That’s the beauty of it. We all stick together and I think everyone can see we are going in the right direction.”

Wigan may be scrapping away at the wrong end of the table yet there have been signs in recent weeks that Steve Bruce is turning things around. That said, Everton’s away form has been outstanding this season and they make the short trip down the M58 expecting another win.

“I don’t think the team is afraid of anyone at the moment,” Johnson added. “We’re playing well, we’re passing the ball well, creating chances and keeping a lot of clean sheets. The boys are in great form and confidence is high.

“Can we stay in the top four? It’s a challenge but the boys are ready for that challenge. I feel as though we are having a fantastic season at the moment and I don’t see why we can’t do it, but there are still a lot of big tests remaining.”

Last edited:

Unlucky lads. To be honest, you looked stale tonight and lacked ideas. Chelsea bored the game to death, you lot were actually trying to play football - they just grind out results.

Anyway, semi-final and 4th in the league! :)

Nevermind that, where were the fans? All you could hear throughout the game was "Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea" over and over, so annoying. I thought you lot were proud of your fans and the atmosphere you create?

A74CAB9B-EC89-2E3B-A7CBE5B63DCE05DA.jpg

The Toffees played well at Stamford Bridge and were unlucky to be 2-1 down on aggegate going into the second leg.

And in the opening moments of the first half they resumed where they left off two weeks ago, dominating possession and flinging in balls, primarily from the boot of Neville, into the area.

If it was not Neville keeping the cup holders on their toes it was Spanish playmaker Mikel Arteta, who managed to thread balls into the 18-yard box despite being surrounded by two or three defenders.

But Avram's Grant's Chelsea is similar to Jose Mourinho's Chelsea - tight at the back - and the recipients inside the area, Tim Cahill and Andy Johnson, were kept quiet for most of the match.

The second stingiest defence in the league coped brilliantly with what came into the danger zone and the only time Ricardo Carvalho and his backline were found wanting was when Joloen Lescott was allowed a free header from 12 yards, which Cech saved low.

Cech, whose wife gave birth to their first child earlier in the day, had little else to do in the first 45 minutes, but neither did opposite number Howard.

Fernandes and Malouda tussle at Goodison Park

The American was called into action only once during the same period when he crouched down to save an Anelka shot from 14 yards.

The French striker, who ambled with intent, went a lot closer straight after the restart when his curling shot rebounded off the crossbar from 18 yards after a good hold-and-pass from Cole.

The scare served as a reminder to Everton that they could not afford to lose concentration and they also needed to improve their ideas at the other end.

Neville took it upon himself to haul Everton back into the match, but his charge and vicious shot was well saved by Cech who was on top form.

The Czech keeper had only just dusted himself off before going down again to deflect away a Jagielka flick.

Had everton scored, the game would have taken on a different tone and the crowd would go wild , but instead Chelsea went up the other end and all but secured their place at Wembley thanks to a sublime finish from Cole.

The England midfielder's one touch and half-volley from Malouda's searching ball gave Howard no chance.
all in all an excellent display by two of the big four.

By Far The Greatest Team!!

A SEMI-FINAL defeat is always the cruellest to take. No day out, no big build-up, no clamour for tickets.

But you’d have struggled to work out which fans were planning trips to Wembley last night.

As the final whistle blew on a quite magnificently executed smash and grab raid by Chelsea at Goodison Park, a resounding “By far the greatest team . . .” rang around the stadium.

Then a standing ovation and generous applause rained down on the dejected Everton players.

Finishing fourth in a cup competition is failure – which is what Everton had to endure last night.

But the shifted emphasis of modern football means that fourth place in the league is considered stirring success, and that’s the focus Evertonians must now switch to . . . that and the little matter of a UEFA Cup campaign.

It’s a sign of the progress Everton have made that exits from both domestic cup competitions don’t spell the end of the season.

And their team’s efforts last night against a club who, love them or loathe them (and most people in this city detest them), boast one of the most formidable squads in world football, showed that the Blues are becoming better and better equipped to see that particular race through.

my message is go fourth and conquer!!

First of was so proud to be a blue last night our players run them selves ragged right until the end! We needed the early goal to send goodison into a frenzy just like spurs did to white hart lane the previous night , but it wasnt to be, chelsea are a class act and so are we but as moysie says were just missing a final piece of the jigsaw to match a team like chelsea, anyway well done to everyone at everton football club and so onwards and upwards oh i and do recall anfield being quiet as a libary after falling 2-1 down to villa , its called nervous tension :lol:

Last edited:

sky are a bunch of twats and had their mics at the chealsea end to make them sound louder thats not right and needs looked into, the crowd was rocking all night you just couldnt hear them because of the mics positioning which is shocking behaviour.

this is what it was like from beginning to end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORrfSe3Qgxc

Emailing this to Sky and ask them whey they felt it necessary to turn down the crowd volume every time Everton fans were singing and also ask why they felt the need to crank up the volume in the Chelsea end. Once again Sky go out there way to make the big 4... sorry 3... look impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHNifMJvVJQ

and thats before the team runs out!!!

the "and if ya know your history..." is an amazing bit.

EVERTON, EVERTON, EVERTON... COYB!!!!!

Wouldn't actually surprise me if Sky did do that to be honest.

they did man!! maybe not on purpose like but the commentators moved position from the upper deck till just below the chelski fans so it made them lot sound like they were singing loud as all night, and im not being bitter better team won and all it just pretty bad they made us out to be quiet all night.

and thats before the team runs out!!!

the "and if ya know your history..." is an amazing bit.

EVERTON, EVERTON, EVERTON... COYB!!!!!

actually thats usually the loudest part of a game.

But you're right, SKY are twats, Gray et co know that they put more mics at the away ends and yet they also point out how quiet the home fans are.

Nearly every game I watched on Sky this season always left the impression that every home support in the country is SHITE!

cole.jpg

if you look at the stats we dont need more goals. We've scored more than Chelsea and Liverpool in the league. Vaughan has looked the business since he broke on the scene and broke Rooney's record. He's had a terrible time with injuries which have seriously hindered his learning curve. Hopefully they haven't prevented him from becoming as good a he has promised. Anichebe always seems to do well when he comes in as well. His scoring record per mins played is pretty good. A lot of so called 'Premier League strikers' would do well to achieve as many goals per minutes played.

I think Pienaar is a player who we have missed. He was playing on the left and It was no coincidence when we had a lot of creativity in the middle of the park with Osman also. Before he got injured we were the second highest goal scorers. The obvious concern is the size of the squad and that was evident on wed, when we had players missing we struggled to break Chelsea down. Chelsea also had a lot of quality players missing but went out and bought Anelka. Something is not right at Liverpool at the moment and this is a fantastic opportunity for us to bridge the gap because I feel the financial gulf will only get bigger. They are in turmoil at the moment and if they were not to finish in the top 4 financially it would hurt them, which would allow us and other teams to build on this season.
It's great to see people backing Everton to finish in the top 4. Moyes has done a fantastic job and with the right additions to the squad in the summer we will hopefully be a step closer to where we want to be. Carsley has been tremendous for us but I do think we need to sign a very commanding defensive midfielder, if Fernandes signs a contract in the summer then I think we will have a excellent creative midfield talent, assuming Pienaar signs too. It's exciting times to be an Evertonian.

EVERTON Wallpaper 4 you!

efc-4.jpg

By Blue4life Tm.

right click and set as background.

Last edited:

Everton in trouble as the Race for fourth hots up

Victory for Everton would enable David Moyes' side to consolidate their grip on fourth place in the race for the final UEFA Champions League berth.

But Moyes will have to cope without the services of the influential Tim Cahill, with the Australia international serving a one-match suspension.

Full-back Tony Hibbert joins Cahill in the stands after receiving five bookings for the season, while Thomas Gravesen (knee) is out and Leon Osman (calf and groin) is doubtful.

Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Joseph Yobo and Steven Pienaar are in Ghana at the Africa Cup of Nations with their respective countries.

Jonathan Woodgate is on course to make his Tottenham debut in the Premier League clash at Everton.

The central defender, signed in a £7million deal from Middlesbrough, goes straight into Juande Ramos' squad and could step straight into the starting line-up with Michael Dawson ruled out through suspension.

Ramos will be hoping that the arrival of the England international can further bolster the club's defence, which is already showing signs of benefiting from the return of Ledley King after a long-term injury lay-off.

Despite their poor form on the road this season, with just one win in 12 attempts, Spurs should travel to Goodison Park in good heart.

Back
Top Bottom