Euro 2012 PRE-tournament talk. Squads, injuries, who'll make it and who won't, etc.

Re: Euro 2012 PRE-tournament talk. Squads, injuries, who'll make it and who won't, et

Russia (23 + 3 Players)

142px-Russian_Football_Union_Logo.svg.png

Goalkeepers: Igor Akinfeev (CSKA Moskow), Vyacheslav Malafeev (Zenit SPb), Anton Shunin (Dynamo Moskow)

Defenders: Aleksandr Anyukov (Zenit SPb), Aleksei and Vasili Berezutskiy (both CSKA Moskow), Sergei Ignashevich (CSKA Moskow), Vladimir Granat (Dynamo Moskow), Yuri Zhirkov (FC Anzhi), Dmitri Kombarov (Spartak Moskow), Roman Sharonov (Rubin Kazan), Roman Shishkin (Lokomotiv Moskow)

Midfields: Igor Denisov (Zenit SPb), Konstantin Zyryanov (Zenit SPb), Roman Shirokov (Zenit SPb), Denis Glushakov (Lokomotiv Moskow), Magomed Ozdoev (Lokomotiv Moskow), Igor Semshov (Dynamo Moskow)

Strikers: Andrei Arshavin (Zenit SPb), Aleksandr Kerzhakov (Zenit SPb), Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moskow), Artem Dzyuba (Spartak Moskow), Marat Izmailov (Sporting CP), Aleksandr Kokorin (Dynamo Moskow), Roman Pavlyuchenko (Lokomotiv Moskow), Pavel Pogrebnyak (Fulham)

;)

Last edited:
Re: Euro 2012 PRE-tournament talk. Squads, injuries, who'll make it and who won't, et

Good squad!

Who do you think will be the 3 players that get cut?

And Malafeev #1 or Akinfeev?

Good squad!

Who do you think will be the 3 players that get cut?

And Malafeev #1 or Akinfeev?
Hmm, this is a rather complex question, but I think it will be Roman Sharonov, because even he was surprised his call to the team, and possibly Kombarov and Ozdoev because they have not yet the level of the national team. In addition, Advocaat might even replace one from some of the players and will invite to the team of Bilyaletdinov, because it is very strange why it did not happen, although I have a few thoughts on the matter. Anyway, until something is hard to say, as can happen a few more changes, so let's wait a little bit more, and then we'll see. :)

As for # 1 I think it would be Akinfeev, as it is by definition the first number of our team and Advocaat trust this place him more than a place Malafeev. But then a change might occur, as Akinfeev a few months ago was seriously damaged and was treated for a long time and therefore not likely to be able to play at full strength. ;)

Croatia_football_federation.png

Croatia 23 + 4 players

Goalkeepers
Stipe Pletikosa (Rostov), Danijel Subašić (Monaco), Ivan Kelava (Dinamo Zagreb), Goran Blažević (Hajduk Split)

Defenders
Domagoj Vida (Dinamo Zagreb), Vedran Ćorluka(Leverkusen), Dejan Lovren (Lyon), Josip Šimunić (Dinamo Zagreb), Gordon Schildenfeld (Eintracht), Jurica Buljat (Maccabi Haifa), Šime Vrsaljko (Dinamo Zagreb), Ivan Strinić (Dnipro), Danijel Pranjić (Bayern Munich)

Midfielders
Darijo Srna (Shakhtar), Tomislav Dujmović (Zaragoza), Ognjen Vukojević (Dynamo Kiev), Luka Modrić (Tottenham), Ivan Rakitić (Sevilla), Ivan Perišić (Borussia Dortmund), Niko Kranjčar (Tottenham), Milan Badelj (Dinamo Zagreb), Ivo Iličević (HSV)

Strikers
Mario Mandžukić (Wolfsburg), Nikica Jelavić (Everton), Ivica Olić (Bayern Munich), Eduardo (Shakhtar), Nikola Kalinić (Dnipro)​

Netherlands (36 > 27)
Defence: Vurnon Anita (Ajax Amsterdam), Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), Wilfred Bouma (PSV Eindhoven), John Heitinga (FC Everton), Joris Mathijsen (FC Malaga), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord Rotterdam), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax Amsterdam), Jetro Willems (PSV Eindhoven)

Midfield: Ibrahim Afellay (FC Barcelona), Mark van Bommel (AC Mailand), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Adam Maher (AZ Alkmaar), Stijn Schaars (Sporting Lissabon), Wesley Sneijder (Inter Mailand), Kevin Strootman (PSV Eindhoven), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur)

Strikers: Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Luuk de Jong (Twente Enschede), Siem de Jong (Ajax Amsterdam), Dirk Kuyt (FC Liverpool), Jeremain Lens (PSV Eindhoven), Luciano Narsingh (SC Heerenveen), Robin van Persie (FC Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Bayern München)

FA_crest_2009.svg

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Scott Parker (Tottenahm), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United)

Strikers: Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)​

Disappointed the likes of Wilshere, Smalling, Cleverley and Walker have picked up injuries, it's largely the usual suspects otherwise. :(

No Richards or Sturridge either?

Last edited:

Disappointed the likes of Wilshere, Smalling, Cleverley and Walker have picked up injuries, it's largely the usual suspects otherwise. :(

No Richards or Sturridge either?

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame, especially the continuation of the Lampard-Gerrard fiasco.

Downing is a waste of space, as is Carroll. Like you said, Richards and Sturridge should be in the team. We're not going to win this so we should use it to get tournament experience for our younger players.

Caroll ahead of Sturridge and holt? Downing ahead of Lennon and Adam Johnson? Neville's going to be tearing his hair out looking at that!

why cant the supposed greatest league in the world produce any world class players, besides rooney and cole on a good day(if you dont consider rooney top notch your an idiot, despite his cuntness). not one of these players bar the one i mentionend would even get a look in at the top teams in the other euro leagues much less there national teams. For crying out loud dempsey and landon donanvon would be ahead of all of these forwards with the exception of rooney, LOL. Shit i would take a healthy stuart holden over barry. I dont get it...

why cant the supposed greatest league in the world produce any world class players, besides rooney and cole on a good day(if you dont consider rooney top notch your an idiot, despite his cuntness). not one of these players bar the one i mentionend would even get a look in at the top teams in the other euro leagues much less there national teams. For crying out loud dempsey and landon donanvon would be ahead of all of these forwards with the exception of rooney, LOL. Shit i would take a healthy stuart holden over barry. I dont get it...

A number of factors:

- Foreign players have made the Premier League what it is, and often make the 'top' English players look better than they really are. The good English players are overrated and hence, over-valued. So it's better to bring in a cheaper foreign player who probably possesses better skills anyway.

- Money and short-sightedness....there is so much at stake that Premier League clubs are always looking for a quick fix (cheap foreign player) rather than bringing through young players into the first team.

- Coaching in England is far behind the rest of Europe. I could go on about this but in short players don't receive the well-rounded, technical coaching from and early age that they would in (for example) Holland or Spain. In England we pigeon-hole players into certain positions from kids (tall kids = defenders, gk's, quick kids = wingers, etc) rather than teaching them to play every position and the value of having good touch and ball skills. It will take a couple of generations to fix this in my opinion.

Basically the England team is paying the price for short-termism, poor coaching from grass roots level, and an obsession with money and the quick fix.

A number of factors:

- Foreign players have made the Premier League what it is, and often make the 'top' English players look better than they really are. The good English players are overrated and hence, over-valued. So it's better to bring in a cheaper foreign player who probably possesses better skills anyway.

- Money and short-sightedness....there is so much at stake that Premier League clubs are always looking for a quick fix (cheap foreign player) rather than bringing through young players into the first team.

- Coaching in England is far behind the rest of Europe. I could go on about this but in short players don't receive the well-rounded, technical coaching from and early age that they would in (for example) Holland or Spain. In England we pigeon-hole players into certain positions from kids (tall kids = defenders, gk's, quick kids = wingers, etc) rather than teaching them to play every position and the value of having good touch and ball skills. It will take a couple of generations to fix this in my opinion.

Basically the England team is paying the price for short-termism, poor coaching from grass roots level, and an obsession with money and the quick fix.
thats a pretty good analysis my man, makes sense to me... your last point is how I grew up learning the game in america(height, speed, per posistional considerations). Today the entire mentality is different here... its now about player development versus winning....

I really do wish I could live in Germany.

Finding a job I can do is the hard part though.

No Carrick, Sturridge and Richards. Yet we have Downing, Milner and Carroll... Oh Woy...

EPL n National team has nothing to do with each other. One is a business the other is just pride! or is that the Olympics ?!

EPL n National team has nothing to do with each other. One is a business the other is just pride! or is that the Olympics ?!

Yes they do. The fact that very few English players are prepared to play abroad means that the EPL is the very breeding ground for England players.

What about that kid Kyle Walker?

Gerrard will be captain, and Parker is in doubt since he's injured.

Yes they do. The fact that very few English players are prepared to play abroad means that the EPL is the very breeding ground for England players.

Well, don't see many Italians playing abroad ,nor Germans, Spanish and whatnots. So , I get your views but I feel the business end comes first.

Well, don't see many Italians playing abroad ,nor Germans, Spanish and whatnots. So , I get your views but I feel the business end comes first.

Well for Italians, you've got Balotelli (Man City), Rossi (Villareal), Crisicitio (Zenit), Sirgu (Paris SG), Bocchetti (Kazan).

Germany have, Metersaker, Kehdira, Klose, Ozil, in the past players like Ballack, Riedle, Klinsmann, Voeller, Brehme etc all played abroad.

Team_Greece_(Football)_300.jpg

Goalkeepers:
Chalkias(PAOK), Sifakis(Aris), Tzorvas(Palermo)

Defenders:
Torosidis(Olympiakos), Avraam Papadopoulos(Olympiakos), Kyriakos Papadopoulos(Schalke), Malezas(PAOK), Holebas(Olympiakos), Tzavelas(Monaco), Papastathopoulos(Werder Bremen).

Midfielders:
Tziolis(Monaco), Makos(AEK), Maniatis(Olympiakos), Katsouranis(Panathinaikos), Karagounis(Panathinaikos), Fotakis(PAOK), Fortounis(Kaiserslautern), Kone(Bologna), Ninis(Panathinaikos), Fetfatzidis(Olympiakos)

Attackers:
Samaras(Celtic), Salpingidis(PAOK), Gekas(Samsunspor), Lyberopoulos(AEK), Mitroglou(Atromitos).

Last edited:

Well for Italians, you've got Balotelli (Man City), Rossi (Villareal), Crisicitio (Zenit), Sirgu (Paris SG), Bocchetti (Kazan).

Germany have, Metersaker, Kehdira, Klose, Ozil, in the past players like Ballack, Riedle, Klinsmann, Voeller, Brehme etc all played abroad.

You would of been busy < If I said French :LOL: I believe they are more willing to go far far away even in MLS .

Supporting Greece again in the tournie, although don't see them even getting out their group, but here's hoping.

FD

Carlos Martins injured, Hugo Viana called up.

Back
Top Bottom