ESPN Thread

The Sky EPG says that its live, the game is being played in China that's why the time is a bit off.

The Asia Cup started at around the same time recently.

Some things never change huh?! Jens Lehman still moans when anyone opposition comes near him.

I really do wish they could've carried the Super Cup in HD, I mean they have Sky HD in Italy, and the Olympics were in HD so it's not like they would've had any problems.

Same with the Bundesliga match last night. Then again, how popular is HD in Germany, do they even have it?

Some entertaining football thus far either way, nice to get a grasp on football outside of the Prem and La Liga.

I've read on Digital Spy that their HD equipment isn't in place yet, next week's EPL game is flagged as HD and 5.1.

I'm pretty sure that HD is big in Germany, BSkyB are over there now like they are over here and in Italy. Also there was some adboards during last nights game that looked like watch all the games in HD!, something along those lines anyway.

I know that Sky launched in Germany this year, and I'm sure that the Bundesliga and Super Cup are available in HD, but are probably a different set of TV rights. In Italy we usually get Serie A games on SKY HD, but it seems that only SKY Italy own the rights since Serie A is never HD abroad and they're using their own cameras.

:LOL: Course they've got HD in Germany, it's not a third world country!

If you look on the list of sports bit on the ESPN website it does say that some of the Bundesliga matches will be available in HD.

It's funny how everyone hated Setanta even though they basically had exactly the same football content on.

The differences for me are HD and ESPN the brand, that's enough for me.

Yeah you do feel like you're getting a better product with them, Setanta always felt a bit cheap and nasty for some reason.

Also the fact they're not trying to sell it themselves is alot better than the way Setanta did it.

I think its down to how shit Setanta's coverage was though and the fact they wouldn't even let some customers go.

:LOL: Course they've got HD in Germany, it's not a third world country!

If you look on the list of sports bit on the ESPN website it does say that some of the Bundesliga matches will be available in HD.

It's funny how everyone hated Setanta even though they basically had exactly the same football content on.

Well I'm fairly certain Spain don't have it, and they're not third world either ;)

I guess I should just be happy with having the Bundesliga to begin with, but to know they'll be showing some matches in HD is always good.

Anyone else think that HD channels should be unavailable if they're not showing HD content? Cause I think at the minute it's confusing people into thinking there isn't a difference, and putting them off embracing HD.

And Setanta was just shit, completely unprofessional, cheap, awful commentary and pundits. ESPN seem like they're getting more help from Sky, and of course they're a massive international company anyway so it seems like they're more professional and better presented.

Spain do have HD I think. Bundesliga was on Setanta too, just not in HD.

edit: Just been reading, in Holland you can get a package for around 10€ a month which gets you EPL, Dutch, Italian, German and CL football, all in HD plus more. We get shafted over here.

Last edited:
@ matherto.

I'd prefer the HD channels to stay even when their not broadcasting in HD, I'd rather watch an upscaled SD picture than a normal, ugly SD picture.

Haha why not?
Because it's worse than saying "your baby is one ugly baby" to some people. :ANX:

Some people hated Setanta like the guys who hate (with a passion) PES, saying anything otherwise starts a flame war. I thought Setanta was great. Apart from Burley.

I hated Burley's ridiculous commentary as well (I remember him saying "referees should be given a lot more slack" then ten seconds later "he's made a total mess of that one, disgrace" or words to that effect). But the commentary team that was doing the Italian Super Cup today was so dull, I just tuned it out.

I hope Jon Champion will be doing the PL games still.

Because it's worse than saying "your baby is one ugly baby" to some people. :ANX:

Some people hated Setanta like the guys who hate (with a passion) PES, saying anything otherwise starts a flame war. I thought Setanta was great. Apart from Burley.

I hated Burley's ridiculous commentary as well (I remember him saying "referees should be given a lot more slack" then ten seconds later "he's made a total mess of that one, disgrace" or words to that effect). But the commentary team that was doing the Italian Super Cup today was so dull, I just tuned it out.

I hope Jon Champion will be doing the PL games still.

Just say what you think, its all about opinions

Watching New England 1-2 LA Galaxy on Saturday night was awesome :COOL:. American commentators rock!

A heads up, Russia vs Argentina is live at 4pm today.

First impressions of ESPN it isn't too bad, seems like they do not have 2 regular pundits for the season opting to pick former players whenever certain teams are playing. Like Peter Reid and Ian Wright for the Everton vs Arsenal game. I just wonder who'll represent United as a pundit.

The graphics and the like are very nice but they need to find a good partner for Jon Champion because Joe Royle isn't very good.

The DOG needs to be smaller and a bit more transparent too

Last edited:
I missed the Everton game but how was the HD? I saw a tiny bit early on in the studio where they were talking but it didn't scream HD to me so how was it during the game?

Looked good in HD during the actual game :)). I flicked between ESPN and ESPN HD, and the difference was huge!

PSV v Ajax live on ESPN now, not HD though...

I'm sure there was something wrong with the normal ESPN feed of the match yesterday, it was so poor! The difference between that and the HD was just ridiculous.

Also the picture was only that bad for the match, the adverts were much better quality and every other program I've watched on the normal channel has been higher quality. Weird anyway.

Back
Top Bottom