ENGLAND thread

Re: England Thread - "ow...hmm that didnt work should we try to pass it next time?...

Dunga = Parker?

Err....?

Re: England Thread - "ow...hmm that didnt work should we try to pass it next time?...

Parker is just the midfield equivalent of John Terry - a reactionary player rather than someone who reads the game, hence why he's always throwing himself into challenges.

Being a ball-winner is one thing, but you still need to be able to distribute the ball once you've got it and Parker struggles with the latter.

England played well, for a medium team... But the problem is that England should never be a medium team, it´s really a long time now since England entered in a tournament as one of the favorites to win and that´s really a shame for your football history.

Sometimes i have the feeling that England lacks of ambition, you´re satisfy for too little in the tournaments and i´m not talking about recent years. There has been some good English teams in WC and Euros that could have gone farther if they played with more heart and passion. Here in Brasil is unthinkable to the national team enter in a tournament and be satisfy for loosing in quarter-finals, there´s always the pressure of winning, even if we have a shit team like in the last WC.

I thought it was grossly disrespectful of Guy Mowbary to call Alessandro Diamanti a "West Ham reject". I thought that was an atrocious statement to make as a BBC commentator.

Diamanti made more of an impact than most of the England team. What does that say about our precious Premier League when a "reject" does that?

Exactly.
The fact that he called it a 'mis-hit cross'... this 'mis-hit' cross was a better delivery than just about anything that £24m James Milner or £17m Ashley Yound put in all game.

To be honest, when you support an English team that are outside of the top 4-6 fanciable teams, then you get used to having your teams and players ignored in such a way.

Disrespectful to Diamanti and, on reflection (not that I wanted this outcome), quite sweet that he played so well and scored the winner.

The entire BBC and ITV commentary and punditry, barring one or two exceptions, are a clueless disgrace.

Agreed - thought Terry, along with Parker, were very good.

Terry was the reason Italy fooled the offside trap several times, he was lucky they didn't manage to score. Terry is a fighter, but he's also a liability.

The situation where Balotelli was alone with Hart, and Terry slided in for the rescue was actually Terry's fault due to bad positioning in the first place. So a last second rescue should never been needed. Terry is also slow, so that it was Balotelli and not for example Di Natale that got that opportunity is just luck in Terry's favor. Against an averagely determined striker, he would never manage to get in a tackle before the ball is lobbed over Hart, who was very far out and in no position to pressure the shooter in time. Balotelli squandered a 100% sitter, strikers don't normally do that.

Last edited:

Few thoughts on England:

1. I can't blame the strikers - who looked toothless really - because the service was so poor to them. If you're only getting a touch every 5 minutes, it's very hard to build anything or get your touch under control.

2. The midfield 2 was a failure - Parker is great at winning the ball. On that we can agree. But, in a midfield 2 you need more than that. Maybe in a 3, or a tight diamond you can afford one player who is solely on defense, but not in just a 2. Particularly as Gerrard clearly can't play at his best for 90 minutes with just a few days rest. You basically had one player who can't pass and one player who can only pass for 20 minutes of each half. And it showed.

3. The wide players didn't perform. I don't disagree with playing Young and Milner as both work hard and are good defending, but perhaps that was too much their focus, because neither got forward enough to offer anything. It must have been a system problem, because when Walcott came on I'm fairly sure he didn't touch the ball for 50 odd minutes of football.

4. Why do we bring a squad? At club level, the same players never play 3 matches in a week. Rotation is key. So why did we have 23 players if Hodgson only wanted to play 15 of them? Milner, Gerrard, Young and Parker were all totally gassed before kickoff.

5. Hodgson needs to man up and show some balls over the next couple of years qualifying for the World Cup. Almost every player out there performed worse than at their clubs. Some staggeringly so. England need an identity, and it doesn't have to be bus parking hopefuls.

6. Youth is the answer. Despite no one mentioning it, England have actually had a really good run in youth football in the past 5 years. Several finals, several victories at U21 and U19 level. With players that aren't just about throwing themselves around aimlessly. Wilshere, Rodwell, W. Keane, Welbeck, Cleverley, Gibbs, Jones, Hart and many others are much better technically than our current options .

Couldn't agree more. Including Wilko's comments on Terry (IMO the most over-rated player in the team, and that's without my United bias!)

If the manager feels that Carroll should be up front, go for it. Price tags should be irrelevant for the national side (as long as the media are ignored!). He'll be there as an aerial threat. However you need someone to run onto the flick ons, otherwise you might as well keep hoofing it to the opposition keeper.
Likewise if you're going to use Welbeck. He'll be there for pace, and through balls will be used. He isn't brilliant at holding the ball up, although that will improve over time, so you need someone who can supply the passes. Welbeck can also play wide if needed, so a "European style" 4-3-3/4-5-1 could be used.

Possible solution? Rooney playing in midfield (United were trialling it early in the season before a certain Mr Scholes came back), giving you a target man & a runner up front, with Rooney happy to burst forward when needed.

That would leave you needing a no nonsense midfield destroyer(Can't think of anyone who fits that mould at the moment though!) & 2 traditional wingers.

They don't have to be the best individually, but if they're picked to play in their natural positions it could make a difference...

I've been saying this to my friends for awhile england need to drop the 4-4-2 and get with it most top sides are using 4-3-3-/4-5-1 and its telling in the centre of the park. Even the Ukraine retained possession better than us

England have always done well in under age competitions u15/u17/u20.

Because of physical advantages. It's a pretty bare cupboard. Straws. Clutching. At.

Mowbray should know better. Plenty of players come over here and struggle with not perhaps the footballing side of things but cultural aspects and cannot settle.

Diamanti has done well on his return to Italy and showed what he can do.

I suppose next thing Mr.Mowbray will be calling Mascherano a West Ham reject too......:P

Truly the need to resort to tabloid commentary is a blot on the BBC who used to have the edge over ITV. And the music they used for their awful montage at the end. It capped it all off.

Someone should do a gif of Hart roaring. It's comedic value is gold.

Nothing beats that spider montage at half time. What was all that about?

I can't remember a major football tournament that has been covered as badly in this country as this one.

BBC and ITV have hit a real low in terms of football coverage.

The thing I've been looking forward to most during pre-match and half-time was that Ladbrokes advert with Crudeli and Kamara during the commercial break.

Some good points in your last post beachryan.
Just listened to the excellent podcast of the Guardian.
AC Jimbo asked his guests about disappointing players in yesterday's match: they came up with Ashley Young (they even called him a cowardly player who is not good in important matches and is afraid to make actions) and Rooney. They talked about other players (Gerrard being not as good as everybody says, but still the best player and Terry being too old and too slow although they think he played a good tournament) but Scott Parker was never mentioned among the disappointments.

And yes, England should stop playing this boring predictable 4-4-2 formation...

I can't remember a major football tournament that has been covered as badly in this country as this one.

BBC and ITV have hit a real low in terms of football coverage.

The thing I've been looking forward to most during pre-match and half-time was that Ladbrokes advert with Crudeli and Kamara during the commercial break.

Blimey. I mute the television or switch over to NG and do something else for at least 15 minutes.

I cannot tolerate anymore 15 minutes of sheer inanity.

Mephistopheles couldn't conjure up more hideous torture. Hang on....perhaps England attempting to play football. :P

Yeah, this is the first time I can remember muting the TV while a football program has been on.

The likes of Seedorf and Klinsmann talk sense and it's always entertaining to see Keane get closer and closer to blowing a gasket at Chiles but other than that, it's been very lacklustre.

Makes you pine for the days of Richardson's quick wit on Football Italia...

Yeah, this is the first time I can remember muting the TV while a football program has been on.

The likes of Seedorf and Klinsmann talk sense and it's always entertaining to see Keane get closer and closer to blowing a gasket at Chiles but other than that, it's been very lacklustre.

Makes you pine for the days of Richardson's quick wit on Football Italia...

Ah the heady days of a Saturday morning with James and his cup of coffee. Hope Tim Vickery gets a chance to work on the BBC for Brazil 2014.

And hopefully Keane lamps Chiles sooner rather than later sending him flying across the Warsaw rooftops..... :WORSHIP:

'No extra time for fools' Keane announces to the camera as Gareth's already long face drops and Jamie stutter's away. :P

Carroll is SO LIMITED!!!!! How the hell does a player like this become a international for England? I almost feel embarassed for him... he is so, so limited...

Ah, Tim Vickery - I can listen to this man talk all day. His knowledge and understanding of the game is first rate and he expresses his opinions so eloquently. I can't think of many other football journalists/pundits who speak as well as he does. It's a shame that this gem is covering South America rather than covering the English game, but the BBC MUST get Vickery involved in Brazil 2014. He does a lot of TV work in Brazil so he's someone I'd love to see on UK TV screens at some point.

James Richardson must be asking himself what he's done wrong? An almost universally loved football presenter from his Football Italia days on Channel 4. Sartorially excellent, intelligent, well-spoken and witty to the point of being laugh-out-loud funny. His standard of punnery is out of this world. Why is this man not getting the big jobs and a twatbag like Chiles is? It doesn't make sense.

Gab Marcotti is another person I like a lot. He knows his stuff and is never afraid to address a few home truths.

Perhaps these gents are too intelligent for their own good? Football presenting/punditry seems to be the preserve of ex-players who, let's face it, aren't the sharpest or most well-spoken bunch. I'm sick of the ignorant and cliche-ridden TV coverage of football these days. We need some more intelligent input in our football coverage.

I don't know about you guys but I turn on the TV five minutes before kick off these days. I can't face the inane punditry.

Last edited:

Some good points in your last post beachryan.
Just listened to the excellent podcast of the Guardian.
AC Jimbo asked his guests about disappointing players in yesterday's match: they came up with Ashley Young (they even called him a cowardly player who is not good in important matches and is afraid to make actions) and Rooney. They talked about other players (Gerrard being not as good as everybody says, but still the best player and Terry being too old and too slow although they think he played a good tournament) but Scott Parker was never mentioned among the disappointments.

And yes, England should stop playing this boring predictable 4-4-2 formation...

Young was poor yesterday, but I still think the left side of England's attack was about 50x more dangerous than the right hand side. I mean, other than Walcott's pass to Welbecek in the third match, I don't think a single chance was created all tournament from Milner's side of the pitch.

Rooney played like he always does in those situations. Tried to do too much and ended up doing very little. Does the same for United when isolated. He only looks truly class when surrounded by more class. I think you'll see a new Rooney this season with Kagawa and Nani around him. 3 intelligent players that can see space and use it.

But for me the most fundamental issue with England was the midfield 2. Joe Hart had more touches than either of them. I mean, seriously. What can you say when your central midfielders have less of the ball than your keeper?

But for me the most fundamental issue with England was the midfield 2. Joe Hart had more touches than either of them. I mean, seriously. What can you say when your central midfielders have less of the ball than your keeper?

:LOL: patient needs changing

The idiot calling Diamanti a West Ham reject is the most ignorant fool ever.

Diamanti actually had a pretty good season that year didn't he? Despite coming into a completely new team and league and surrounding and even struggling with English, he was one of the West Ham's better players and a constant source of danger be it through his free kicks, long distance shooting and that cultured left foot.

Young was poor yesterday, but I still think the left side of England's attack was about 50x more dangerous than the right hand side. I mean, other than Walcott's pass to Welbecek in the third match, I don't think a single chance was created all tournament from Milner's side of the pitch.

The lucky goal Rooney scored against Ukraine was from a Milner cross on right hand side which took a couple deflections.

All in all, Milner shouldn't have started and was quite poor but he did deliver some dangerous balls (crosses) into the box from right hand side and one or two of them led to goals that people forget.

That was Gerrard's cross PLF, Milner or his ilk really shouldn't be starting unless you've got a super talent on the other wing who doesn't track back

i dunno what games you was watching but milner made exactly no assists all tournament (and he missed an open goal). and rooney is shit, he played decent in euro 2004 and now hes a certain pick for england for the rest of his career probably. roy hasnt balls to leave him out, rickie lambert is more of a threat than rooney.

Bent,Albright,Theo,Jack,OX,Cole,Cahill,Baines,Rodwell,Jagielka, Cleverly,Smalling, Welbeck ,Jones,young, Carrick (oldest player)Rooney,Johnson,Lescott,HART,Carroll,Jerome,Walker,

All should get a look at to start gelling I`m sure more players will have their say that was top of my head;

counter-attack, plan A WC2014

Walker.....Smalling.....Cahil.....Ashely

................Jack.................

Young...........Rooney..............OX

........Bent..............Welbeck......

maybe the chem isn`t the best ,but for quick attacks that would be very dangerous assuming they are stronger in 2 year time :P

Last edited:

Twenty million for Milner......... :P

I switch on like Jamezinho just in time for the anthems (ITV then ruins it all by going to another advertisment break so I switch over again until the countdown begins).

Vickery has made Brazil his home and South America his area of expertise and he should be a must for 2014.

However I feel both terrestrial stations are more interested in familiar faces, blandness and dumbing down.

People like Vickery and Marcotti bring insight and intelligent debate and a wider perspective.

Presumably the powers that be think it would all be too much for the general footballing public to handle.

Though not a fan of Real Madrid it's TV station also has several interesting pundits inc.Sid Lowe who would be another welcome erudite addition.

All in all I think the 5Live commentators aside from a leering Alan Green have done better jobs and Jan Molby as summarizer has been excellent and knowledgeable.

PLF Diamanti showed in flashes what he could do. Many talented players have come here but found other things that hindered them but did not mean they were not talented.

One could say the same for the very few British players in recent years who have decided to leave the comfort blanket of playing here. Like Ian Rush:

'I couldn't settle in Italy. It was like living in a foreign country'. And the Nobel Prize for ........

:P

Andy Brassell - another man that should be getting tv work. I mean, if you want to talk about European football there are few better people.

Once again, England get found out (because they don't have the better, cheaper, foreign players around them, to make them look good). It doesn't matter what system we play, if we cannot hold on to the ball, we can never expect to get anywhere.

I would really liked to have seen Jack Wilshere (obviously he was injured) in the midfield. I like him, he's good on the ball and will be England's midfield of the future. Kyle Walker too may have given us something going forward. Rodwell? We have some young talent, but i don't ever see England being a "confident-on-the-ball-going-forward-team".

@Bebo - nice team, however this is how I'd have it set up in 2014, with the main goal of Euro 2016 in mind, seeing as how the 2014 WC is in South America history dictates that only a South American team will have the greater advantage.

As harsh as it is, I'd start by ditching all 30+ players now, Ashley Cole included, and begin to build the young squad together from this moment on..

--------------------------- Hart
--Walker----------Jones-------Smalling--------- Bertrand
-------------Rodwell--------------------Wilshere
----Chamberlain--------Rooney----------------Young
----------------------------Hooper

My sub XI would be in the same formation:
------------------------- Butland
--Richards-------Bennett------Cahill----Gibbs
----------------Tunnicliffe-------Cleverley
----Walcott------------Powell-----------Johnson
--------------------------Welbeck

For me, keeping experience retained via a sub XI will help, while allowing the younger team to develop links, and get game time together will allow them to grow well

Hooper is a more natural finisher than Welbeck IMO, while Cleverley and Wilshere are almost completely the same level of skill IMO, being Left Footed means Wilshere gets my starting spot with Rodwell.
While I don't currently rate Chamberlain, he's probably the best prospect England have outside of Uniteds youth system (they're the only youngsters I tend to keep a full view on)

Hooper? Really?

I actually quite like the guy but any of us could score a shit tonne of goals in the SPL.

If he was good enough for England he'd be in the Prem right now.

I don't think Young will ever be talented enough or have enough bottle to play for England in a major tournament tbh. He should only really be a squad player for United as well. Nani and Valencia are a million times better than him.

Hooper? Really?

I actually quite like the guy but any of us could score a shit tonne of goals in the SPL.

If he was good enough for England he'd be in the Prem right now.

I don't think Young will ever be talented enough or have enough bottle to play for England in a major tournament tbh. He should only really be a squad player for United as well. Nani and Valencia are a million times better than him.

I agree on Young, problem is I can't think of a player showing enough potential to better him..

And I'd like to see Hooper given a chance in the England team, he's obviously talented and we won't know till we try

3rd in the latest FIFA world rankings:II

how did that happen?

Back
Top Bottom