ENGLAND thread

Re: England Thread - Euro 2012 Squad Announced

Only a Milevsky could have missed that to be honest.

Have to admit I thought Rooney was absolute rank rotten.

Gerrard has been really good though, as well as Lescott.

FD

The guy who "missed" the chance for Ukraine was Devich, I think.

Not England's fault, you would still qualify if the goal was allowed. But... I think this is still a f*cking disgrace anyway. Hmmm, where's the Drogba badge now? haha :P
Shame on UEFA with those extra officials behind the goal! Take those puppets out of there, they're making a mockery out of themselves - even more than it was possible.

And we crawl into the QF and even top the group, Strange. :SS

We were poo on a stick tonight. I fully expect them to outclass us and win comfortably.

Re: England Thread - "Hoof it Son, flick it on and we'll win this!"

Like other people observed previous to the Ukrain's "goal" there was off-side. So all in all Ukrain should not complain. I saw them 2 times (against Sweden and England) and to me they were the positive surprise of this tournament. What a shame they were toothless upfront against England.

Their GK isn't the best one either, but he was very unlucky for England's goal. Gerrard's centre took two deflections of Ukraine team mates. Simon Mignolet was on the Belgian television as a pundit and he also said that while Ukraine's GK isn't very good, he was not to blame for this one. Very difficult.

Afterwards i watched Sweden-France. France were absolutely abysmal. What a dire and lacklustre performance. Wordt performance i've seen during this tournament (for people who only saw the two good goals: Sweden were average at best).

Someone needs to shoot Tyldesley. An appalling excuse of a commentator.

Even trying to suggest the ball had not crossed the line. Ukraine outclassed England but unfortunately didn't take their chances.

The side may have topped the group but so far they've been very fortunate.

anyone who blame any ref about any mistake has to think first...how many mistakes have you made in school, in your workplace, in life? now we are talking, we are only human

and this is not because of im hungarian just because im human too

Pretty sure it was Tom from Kasabian playing actually

1x4u6f.jpg

Anyway, in all honesty I think Ukraine deserved something from the game. The goal that never was surely proved we need goal-line technology, though given it was offside int he first place it's nothing to feel aggrieved about.

Happy to be through regardless of our performance, as long as our progression doesn't mask our deficiencies as a team in the media and such.

hey guys, so it looks like it's gonna be italy vs england... seriously how cool is that! i for one am delighted about this matchup, as we haven't played against each others for ages (when was the last time? was it italia '90?).
an england-italia match is gonna be a breath of fresh air, especially if compared to the alternative (italy and france have played against each others so often in the last 14 years that i grew tired of listening to the marseillaise :P ).

good luck fellas, i got a feeling this should be a good match :BEER:

hey guys, so it looks like it's gonna be italy vs england... seriously how cool is that! i for one am delighted about this matchup, as we haven't played against each others for ages (when was the last time? was it italia '90?).
an england-italia match is gonna be a breath of fresh air, especially if compared to the alternative (italy and france have played against each others so often in the last 14 years that i grew tired of listening to the marseillaise :P ).

good luck fellas, i got a feeling this should be a good match :BEER:

Yeah, I said this on the last page. Italia '90 was the last team England and Italy met at a major tournament, and even then it was a nothing game. When was the last time we met at a tournament before that i.e. in a game that mattered?

Like you said, I'm really looking forward to this and I'm expecting a tight game. Both teams are pretty organised and are in a rebuilding phase with new faces coming through. I've always been a fan of Italian football so this was a dream match-up for me. I find Spain quite boring to watch so I'm glad we missed them.

Just saw this and it made me laugh, typical love of the English from FIFA's charming president:

At the WC when Lampard's shot cleared the line by about 2 feet:
"It's not the end of a competition or the end of football. These things can happen."

At the EURO's when Ukraine's shot went over by about an inch:
"Goal-line technology is no longer an alternative but a necessity."

Gotta love how he sticks to his guns...

These incidents just make football look a joke on a global stage. Surely we are at a point now where goal-line technology has to be implemented into major tournaments at the very least? Two berks standing beside each goal is clearly not the answer.

I'm completely opposed to the idea of technology, I believe the controversy created by the mistakes and bad decisions is a part of football, intensifies games and creates new drama between two clubs.. In terms of trying to perfect decision making, it takes an emotional aspect out of the game which is irreplaceable, then theres the possibility that goal line technology will lead to video replays for Diving etc, a "If we have it here, why not here" mentality will set in, and it's not something I like the sound of.

I think goal line technology is a necessity as theirs no debate or argument that can come into it like tackling, diving, a red card which are all things which are down to opinion and interpretation. This however is simple its either a goal or isn't.

Regarding Sunday, Im definitely looking forward to it, im preparing myself for a memorable England exit, expect OX to score a blinder and be declared Jesus, expect a silly red card from Parker and maybe even Lion Heart™ John Terry crying after missing a spot kick. :))

England will go through Younggun. They were the most boring team to watch and often these teams grow in a tournament. Italy impressed me in the first match and the first half against Croatia, but they seem to come to tatters in the final quarter of the match. England will win it.

I also think the discussion about referees is part of the enormous charm that football has, but there is enough to discuss about, so i think goal line technology is a necessity.

In a sport which is also a multi million pound business technology is a necessity.

I'd rather the correct decisions were implemented than having heated discussions about the officials.

They desperately need help. Other on the pitch rule enforcers in other sports have technological aids so should referees and linesmen.

It's a simple matter to implement goal line technology. In Germany they trialled a system using reflecting mirrors down the touchlines that was 100% effective in getting offsides correct.

And video needs to be studied after games to punish players who have simulated, time wasted or indeed overturn cards that were wrongly given.

Cheating has become a scourge in the modern game yet all governing bodies refuse to take any firm action.

Exactly.

I don't understand all this 'love' for 'discussions' in a pub. This is a competitive sport with billions of fans around the globe. Most popular sport in the world and huge business and yet it's the most controversial one as referees constantly deny the right outcome. I don't blame them as they are only human beings, but we should HELP them make the right decisions.

Let's stop living in the stone ages! It's year 2012! We've used technology to improve and better everything else in all aspects of our lives, and almost every other sport as well, so why not this one?

I don't understand when people say, it'll bring stoppages, so what? Already when a throw-in is about to be taken there is 20 seconds wasted, another minute when a team is about to take a free kick, there are substitutions and of course there are different assholes going down and rolling on floor holding their leg ever 10 mins. Why can't refs take 10 seconds to review a footage of a KEY GAME CHANGING decision then such as an off side goal or worse yet a ball that's crossed line, to make correct decision?

In NBA, NHL and all these other sports, video footage helps refs quickly review and make correct decision. Yet in Football, it's strange that a portion of population and some dinosaurs in FIFA would prefer the WRONG team going through and advancing, just so we have something to bitch about in pubs/bars and complain about refs!? I'd much rather NEVER talk about referees or their decisions again, because that shouldn't be an important factor. We should be socializing about players, teams, coaches and strategies, not referees as a constant talking point which is unfortunately the way it is right now.

When the subject of goal-line technology gets raised some people automatically start talking about video evidence and mistakes being part of the charm of football. That's a separate discussion if you ask me.

Goal-line technology is simply about enforcing what should be a black or white decision - was the ball over the line or not? No need for video replays or challenges from the coaches, just a chip in the ball and the goalposts and a receiver on the ref's person. It's as simple as that.

Anything that makes the officials job easier should be encouraged. The game is so fast with so much at stake these days, and the officials are only human.

I'm completely opposed to the idea of technology, I believe the controversy created by the mistakes and bad decisions is a part of football, intensifies games and creates new drama between two clubs.. In terms of trying to perfect decision making, it takes an emotional aspect out of the game which is irreplaceable, then theres the possibility that goal line technology will lead to video replays for Diving etc, a "If we have it here, why not here" mentality will set in, and it's not something I like the sound of.

The tech needs to be relative to the viewers, so then we should get rid of replays, multi camera angles, ban photography, mobiles, etc. Hell lets stop all tv viewing.

I dont know about you, but the continued lack of effort to add integrity to football is putting me off more and more. Decisions like that can ruin the whole game. That isnt drama, its blatently wrong.

Last edited:

For me it's the same logic as just using a stopwatch, playing 25 minute halves and only having the clock go when the ball is in play.

A single change, that can be implemented across all football even in the park, and you eliminate time wasting, injury faking and other awful parts of football. Done.

But football isn't an evolving sport.

Some good points in this discussion. I sort of agree with both sides.
Personally i don't think technology will solve major issues. Things like the Ukrain goal will be solved (but will they be solved in all cases and will managers like Ferguson not start questioning the technology?). Things like that don't happen that often, but nevertheless i agree with goal line technology.
What is even more important is the fact that all sort of "fraud" is punished even post factum. If a player gets sent off because another one dived, the eventual punishment of the first one should be abolished and the diver should get punished. UEFA should also recognize that their refs make mistakes and act upon it. An example: to me the sending off of the Greek CB in the first match was a mistake. Well, why not let him play the second match?

To me things like that are more important than technology.

We all love watching football, but the fact that we are discussing this is also a fine example that we love to discuss football perhaps even more. If i am totally honest, i lover this Euro Tounament until now it is nearly perfect. To me it misses only one thing: a match full of controversy. It spices a tournament (people still remember the legendary semi-final between Germany and France at the 1982 tournament, ask 80% of the football fans if they remember one player from that French team and they will not mention Platini, Giresse, Tigana, Bossis but Patrick Battiston).

Yeah, I said this on the last page. Italia '90 was the last team England and Italy met at a major tournament, and even then it was a nothing game. When was the last time we met at a tournament before that i.e. in a game that mattered?
indeed. i don't even remember the last time we met before italia '90 :))
what do u reckon will be the starting formation?

as for the technology discussion, it is indeed an extremely intriguing topic and i believe there are very valid arguments both pro and against technology in football.
personally i wouldn't want to implement technology aids ifor the referees.... at least i'm against most of em. but i'm not against goal-line technology (to prevent those goal\no goal situations).
i won't explain my arguments, as it would take too much time (besides i've already written about it in the past, somewhere in this forum), but to make it very short, i don't think technology would solve as many problems as most people seem to believe.... and i also believe it would bring a whole new set of problems... much more serious problems, wich may well turn out to be critical for the survival of this game as we know it.

i also believe a much more important problem to address is the culture of suspicion and hartred that permeates football fans and media theese days.
it's our mindset, our approach to sport that must change. until we'll learn to accept mistakes (even referees' mistakes) as part of the game, the drama and the heated discussions around football won't drop..... God himself might come down on earth and tell us that was an offside or a foul.... and we will still argue about it, we will still try and find stupid reasons to support our (often biased) arguments. everything, rather than accepting the result (wich ironically should be the first lesson we should learn from sport).

Last edited:

indeed. i don't even remember the last time we met before italia '90 :))
what do u reckon will be the starting formation?

England will stick with the good old 4-4-2. Hopefully we drop Milner, he's looked tired and has been generally ineffective in this tournament.

Italy? I'm hoping they go with the 3-5-2 again. I love that formation!

England will stick with the good old 4-4-2. Hopefully we drop Milner, he's looked tired and has been generally ineffective in this tournament.

Italy? I'm hoping they go with the 3-5-2 again. I love that formation!

yeah, i'd also like to see us deploy that line up again, but to be honest i have absolutely no idea what's on prandelli's mind right now. i believe we'll know more about it by sathurday. i'll get back to you on our formation as soon as we'll know more about it ;)

as for the upfront setup, how will it look? rooney and welbeck or rooney and carroll? and will they be lined up exactly on the same line or will rooney operate slightly behind the other striker. i believe the latter setup might cause some troubles to our defense.

yeah, i'd also like to see us deploy that line up again, but to be honest i have absolutely no idea what's on prandelli's mind right now. i believe we'll know more about it by sathurday. i'll get back to you on our formation as soon as we'll know more about it ;)

as for the upfront setup, how will it look? rooney and welbeck or rooney and carroll? and will they be lined up exactly on the same line or will rooney operate slightly behind the other striker. i believe the latter setup might cause some troubles to our defense.

Rooney generally plays behind the other striker whether he's told to or not. Often waaay behind! :))

But yeah, Rooney getting between the defensive and midfield lines is often where he is most effective. I'd prefer to start Welbeck alongside Rooney because of the club partnership and save Carroll for when we get desperate and inevitably lump the ball forward.

it's our mindset, our approach to sport that must change. until we'll learn to accept mistakes (even referees' mistakes) as part of the game, the drama and the heated discussions around football won't drop.

Spot on. Managers tend to complain about one off-side decision even if their strikers missed 5 sitters. Nobody bthers about the strikers' mistake, but the referee's mistake supposedly made the difference.

What disturbs me a litle bit is the fact that i have the feeling that bigger clubs are advantaged (it's only a feeling, so i could be wrong).

Back
Top Bottom