ENGLAND thread

Re: England Thread - Euro 2012 Squad Announced

Totally agree with your point about football skills. I'm a litle bit afraid that this is cultural. Most English people will prefer players that rund like headlees chickens to clever of cultured players. Both Hoddle and Matthew Le Tissier never played much for their national team. A clever player like Lampard is not appreciated...The way Arsenal fans booed Arshavin...There are plenty of examples that the majority of football fans and football people prefer other players than technical skilled ones...

A few weeks back, the FA passed a proposal to reduce the pitch sizes for lower age groups.

Yes, we've had little kids playing 11 v 11 on full-size pitches for decades. Things like that make you question the suitability of those in charge of football in this country.

This is why there will never be a consistent supply of good, young talent in this country like Spain, Germany, Holland etc.

Wow really? From what ages? Here we have kids from 6-11 playing on half pitches, with smaller sized goals on the sidelines.

A few weeks back, the FA passed a proposal to reduce the pitch sizes for lower age groups.

Yes, we've had little kids playing 11 v 11 on full-size pitches for decades. Things like that make you question the suitability of those in charge of football in this country.

This is why there will never be a consistent supply of good, young talent in this country like Spain, Germany, Holland etc.

They've also scrapped competitive leagues until under 12s I believe

Took them bloody long enough to realize whats wrong and why the players we bring through are not so great technically.

Hopefully we start to see more developed in the future for england. I never understood why you would play young children on pitches and in goals where people have to use ladders to put the nets up?
I think there has been a recent rise in small sided leagues now and small pitches developed around england. So that should help out a bit.

Hopefully...

in what country because in here all over London we have small size pitches and goals. dont know what your on about

I remember playing on full size pitches when I started high school at eleven years old. We always played on smaller pitches before that, but it was fairly common to be playing with a ball to big for you. Even at that young age I always thought it was ridiculous.

To be honest I'm not sure kids need to go anywhere near a full size pitch until they are teenagers (i.e. 13+). It's not until then that kids develop physically and reach their full size and start to become stronger. That's why playing on large pitches with large footballs at a young age often favours the quick kids who can cover the ground, and the strong kids with the stamina to do so. Young kids should just be playing five or six-a-side to develop control and technique (preferably with five-a-side rules and plenty of indoor football).

A couple of people have said the rules haven't changed for them, it's as of next season so I presume August onwards to coincide with the new premier league season, and will change rules for all clubs registered with both the national FA and local organising body for football

Totally agree with your point about football skills. I'm a litle bit afraid that this is cultural. Most English people will prefer players that rund like headlees chickens to clever of cultured players. Both Hoddle and Matthew Le Tissier never played much for their national team. A clever player like Lampard is not appreciated...The way Arsenal fans booed Arshavin...There are plenty of examples that the majority of football fans and football people prefer other players than technical skilled ones...

I don't totally agree with that, some of the most fondly thought of players at Arsenal were technical players one main example being Bergkamp, the difference between Bergkamp and Arshavin is that Bergkamp actually played amazingly on a consistant basis and became a legend for the club, whereas Arshavin...well you know the story.

I don't know who isn't appreciating Lampard, I think the Chelsea fans appreciate him? The main problem from an England perspective is Gerrard and Lampard playing together...which just never really worked.

It annoys me when people just say that English supporters just like players that 'run around like headless chickens' or similar, it really is condescending (I know you didn't mean to sound like that).

The thing is true that we don't produce such technically minded players, that is true. But to say we don't appreciate technically adept players is just not true. We just want our technically adept players to play for the team and give their all for the team when playing :))

I agree about Bergkamp and the fact that Arsenal fans appreciated technical skilled players. Arsenal is a bad example.
But i'm not the only one who thinks this, just read Vialli's excellent book about the differences between English and Italian football. Something he doesn't understand is that in England fans cheer for players who force a corner...

About Lampard: i know Chelsea fans appreciate him. But just read other fans' comments on this forum about him. Lampard is a genius imo, he has exceptionally passsing abilities and his scoring records is also exceptional.

I agree about Bergkamp and the fact that Arsenal fans appreciated technical skilled players. Arsenal is a bad example.
But i'm not the only one who thinks this, just read Vialli's excellent book about the differences between English and Italian football. Something he doesn't understand is that in England fans cheer for players who force a corner...

About Lampard: i know Chelsea fans appreciate him. But just read other fans' comments on this forum about him. Lampard is a genius imo, he has exceptionally passsing abilities and his scoring records is also exceptional.

English fans also cheer good passing movements, skill on the ball going past an opponant, goals of all kinds, great tackles etc etc etc

I just think that what you say is simplified alot.

But our league is less technical than others, that is true and we do appreciate players that have heart and want to play for their clubs, but these players differ in skills and abilities.

The truth is if I was to name the top technically minded/gifted players that have played in the Premiership, I think most would be foreign, so it is true that we are not producing these types of players. I think supporters appreciate and want technically adept players, but FA, coaches, youth team coaches do not promote this type of play, for whatever reasons...but this should be changed.

I don't think any true footballing fan can't appreciate Frank Lampard, he has been consistantly great for many seasons and his scoring record is great. Probably over all of the seasons he has played for Chelsea, he has been in the top 5 midfielders in the whole league every year. I would definately prefer him than Gerrard at the moment.

I always preferred him to Gerrard, but one should do a poll on this forum. I'm quite convinced at least 60% prefer Lampard.

Lampard is good, but we can never put our faith in a footballer with a body fat over 57%...

I knew you would react.
Lampard's carreer and his stats (amount of goals and assists) are telling entirely different story than his supposed body fat.
Might it not be that your are a tiny litle biased, on account of you being a West Ham United fan and still frustrated that Lampard left your club?

I wonder about the percentage of body fat of Lionel Messi and Diego Maradonna (in his prime).

How many of the current team or indeed recent editions would get into an all time England XI ?

Ashley Cole maybe?

He's the only player who I think is genuinely one of the best in the world at his position.

Ashley Cole.

The best England has produced over the last decade.

Rooney would get in there, depending on the formation. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but he's been just about the most productive player in one of Europe's top leagues in the past 5 years. Shearer's a better out and out striker, but Rooney would be my second player up there. Actually, you've inspired me, as my knowledge is only in the prem era, really, here's my England XI of the last 25 years, what's everyone else's?

---------------------Seaman---------------
-Neville—Campbell-Ferdinand-Cole—
--------------Ince-----Lampard-----------
--Beckham-------------McManananam-
------------------Rooney-------------------
-------------------Shearer------------------

---------------------Seaman---------------
-Neville—Campbell-Ferdinand-Cole—
--------------Ince-----Lampard-----------
--Beckham-------------McManananam-
------------------Rooney-------------------
-------------------Shearer------------------

Strange that a Man Utd fan forgot the best player of the last 25 years: Paul Scholes. Put him instead of Ince, Beckham or Mc Manaman.

Yeah Gazza for sure deserve to be in.

Englands-Paul-Gascoigne-r-001.jpg

Strange that a Man Utd fan forgot the best player of the last 25 years: Paul Scholes. Put him instead of Ince, Beckham or Mc Manaman.

Scholes was a better player, but never seemed to work in an England team. Also wouldn't work well with Lampard I don't think.

Gazza was a light that burned too bright too fast. The most talented player in his generation but too briefly for me.

So what do you lot think about tonight's match? Will be interesting to see how Rooney does, and whether he makes the team better or worse, I can imagine a lot of the players just passing the ball to him and hoping for the best, instead of playing like a team as they have done so far. That usually doesn't work out, unless he is in spectacular form.

I'll go for a draw, or a very nervy win for either team. If the team sets up like against France (which they can do for the result) I can imagine a decent result on the counter / set piece. But the comments so far have shown more confidence and expectation, when really the team was poor against Sweden, which make a more open match which I would expect would favour Ukraine.

After some of the other results and the increased expectation in the media (assuming England will play Spain) it would be somewhat amusing to see some glorious mistake give Ukraine the win.

I'd agree too. Cole for all that he is a dislikeable person is probably the sole candidate currently for inclusion into an all time XI.

Then again he would still have to fight Hapgood, Wilson and Pearce for that role.

Ukraine have to go for the win which would suit England. Rooney upfront with Oxlade-Chamberlain and Young tucked in.

2-0 against Ukraine , what do you think your line up will be?

-------------Hart

Johnson---Terry--Lescott---Cole

---------Parker---Gerrard------

Walcott-------------------Young
------------Rooney

--------------Carroll

maybe its a too much attacking style. btw i would love to see Welbeck substituted in yet again, that would made 4 MANU players up front, more efficient maybe

I personally would replace Young with Rooney in starting line up and keep Carroll and Welbeck up there just like last game.

I think Carroll's performance last match was only impressive relative to the incredibly low expectations he's set with the last season. Other than his goal and a bit of running about he did nothing. His passing stats were the worst in the team, he failed to create or convert a single other chance and stopped running after about 50 minutes. He looked good for the first 15/20 minutes but then offered nothing.

The thought of keeping him on instead of playing Wayne Rooney blows my mind.

Back
Top Bottom