eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Ok so the game is really physical. I think that's a good thing, but I still feel like the AI is now successful with it in certain instances than they should be.

I might drop the difficulty down by one.

Ok so the game is really physical. I think that's a good thing, but I still feel like the AI is now successful with it in certain instances than they should be.

I might drop the difficulty down by one.
Definately gone harder but not in a cheaty way, the AI is smarter and the space is less. But its sublime. Ive stuck with top player full manual. Quarters of cup against arsenal they beat me 1 nil at my ground from a set piece, but players are now dribbling more and the odd step over leaving me for dead. The second leg they sat back trying to pick me off on the counter which they almost did twice. I end up going 2 nil up and then they score a header in 88th minute from a freekick.. Last 5 were so tense but I hold on and go through on away goals...easily the best football game I've played imo. The whole balance feels like a real game only thing I would like is more penalties

Definately gone harder but not in a cheaty way, the AI is smarter and the space is less. But its sublime. Ive stuck with top player full manual. Quarters of cup against arsenal they beat me 1 nil at my ground from a set piece, but players are now dribbling more and the odd step over leaving me for dead. The second leg they sat back trying to pick me off on the counter which they almost did twice. I end up going 2 nil up and then they score a header in 88th minute from a freekick.. Last 5 were so tense but I hold on and go through on away goals...easily the best football game I've played imo. The whole balance feels like a real game only thing I would like is more penalties

Funny. Currently playing BAL in the Thai league and I'm dealing with AI teammates who refuse to hold the ball. One touch passes galore. In the Thai League.

Maybe it's because I'm in the Thai league that my team's defenders are so brain dead, but my opponents don't seem to have any trouble closing me down instantly and knocking me off the ball.

The physicality is nice and all but my teammates just find it impossible to win the ball back so it's frustrating at times.

Hence why I'm thinking about dropping down a level difficulty wise.

There's a lot of stuff that I find annoying with it, like the fact that passes still bypass the midfield entirely more than they should and the AI routinely makes decisions that make no sense, but I'm still enjoying myself for the time being.

Sidenote: who thought that the tackle and intention foul commands should be exactly the same? Because that's a terrible decision.

Last edited:
Funny. Currently playing BAL in the Thai league and I'm dealing with AI teammates who refuse to hold the ball. One touch passes galore. In the Thai League.

Maybe it's because I'm in the Thai league that my team's defenders are so brain dead, but my opponents don't seem to have any trouble closing me down instantly and knocking me off the ball.

The physicality is nice and all but my teammates just find it impossible to win the ball back so it's frustrating at times.

Hence why I'm thinking about dropping down a level difficulty wise.

There's a lot of stuff that I find annoying with it, like the fact that passes still bypass the midfield entirely more than they should and the AI routinely makes decisions that make no sense, but I'm still enjoying myself for the time being.

Sidenote: who thought that the tackle and intention foul commands should be exactly the same? Because that's a terrible decision.
Same guys who brought you dribbling with RS! ;)

:TU: Same here!!
My setup is 5,5,9,9,9,9,15. What’s yours?

If you ain’t using, you loosing! ;)

It’s one of the features, next to the pressure mini game, I really like to use.
And i think it’s important to use it to unleash the full potential of the game.
Knowing your opponents strategy, read him, and knowing & using your own strategy to counter that is an important part for me too!
AND fuma...! :)

If all this would be taking away from me, a huge part of this game would be missing and I could not enjoy it as much (or at all). And imo, it wouldn't just lose a few funny aspects, it would lose an integral part of the game

#thisgamecanshine

I will have a look when I get home.

My main problem is that I find it hard to get used to this new cam. When I aim straight left or right, my player shoots on diagonal. When I try to pass straight upwards or downwards, my player passes diagonaly into the area. But its all a matter of getting used to this new cam perspective.

This game is very good no matter the patch or the fact Im gettimg my ass kicked by the CPU. I like that way.:LOL:

My only complaint after recent patches is the right stick dribble, I can't get used to it. It's good for the guys I play locally as I can't pick Liverpool or Egypt and then weave through their defences with Salah. Or rather it isn't as easy as it used to be.

Last edited:
So here we go, @chiefrocka4real and hitmanuk!

First cross is a regular high cross pressing the cross button once.
Second one is a lobbed high cross with R2 and cross button once.
Third one is a low faster paced high cross with L1 and cross button once (this one is used for early crosses into the pen area as well).
Then follows the hard driven low cross a couple of times with L1 and cross button twice (quick).

As I said, I used this only to smack in those balls when on the sides and looking for a deflection in the pen area.

Great!
Thx for clarification....I´ll try using those.
I only used the cross button alone in the pen area or double cross.
Never together with L1 or R2.

I will have a look when I get home.

My main problem is that I find it hard to get used to this new cam. When I aim straight left or right, my player shoots on diagonal. When I try to pass straight upwards or downwards, my player passes diagonaly into the area. But its all a matter of getting used to this new cam perspective.

This game is very good no matter the patch or the fact Im gettimg my ass kicked by the CPU. I like that way.:LOL:
Had my fair share of problems while getting used it...
once it clicks, you’ll love it.
It’s all about positioning of the player and view combined. Sounds crazy, and it can be some times, but it’s so lovely. Works out so well once you get the hang of it.
Don't let go.... Stick to it. It’s worth it!!
Great!
Thx for clarification....I´ll try using those.
I only used the cross button alone in the pen area or double cross.
Never together with L1 or R2.
No prob mate!
There is so much more under the hood and I’m eager to bring it all to light. :D

This game, right now, does deserve a lot more appreciation, imo. I can’t believe how far we’ve come gameplay wise. And I know about the stuff, basic stuff, that was in years ago and is still missing in today’s games.

I’m a positive guy, you guys know that by now, but really... A LOT of flaws, and we were rightly banging about them before, are history.
Naaaa, we forget about that.... it’s easier to moan.
Let’s put it in freaking perspective once!!

Anyway. Does it sound like a rant? Not my intention. Just wanna have a fair discussion. Later. :)

Edit: if my own "fun indicator" finds it valuable, it's a good time playing PES. Sure it is colored by me, but it is still a strong indicator!

Peace. :LOVE:

Last edited:
My first impressions of the latest patch are overall quite good. Kinda hard to judge because i havent played for a while.

I played only three Boca vs River matches as thats probably the setup i have played the most so it serves me well as a reference.

The good:
  • More variety and intelligent play from the AI (difficulty is restored)
  • Manual shooting seems toned down a bit
  • Passing feels heavier, ball bobbles more and its starts of a bit faster and slows down more quickly in effect short passes are more effective and long passes a bit less, making the game less end to end.
  • Players more responsive to the position of the ball; defenders are more aware and saw CPU do some very nice smart interceptions
  • Overall less predicatable and more thoughtfull gameplay due to all the above
The bad:
  • To archieve all these good points, some corners have been cut, mainly when it comes to the freedom of the ball and the animations. Both attackers and defenders snap more to the ball and to the invisible rails on the pitch. This for me almost outweights the good.
In conclusion it has become a better game because all elements (AI, physics, gameplay,) are more in balance now but it does come at the cost of tuning down the physical realism a bit and making it less of a simulation. I think i can accept this and, despite being somewhat of an animation purist, turn a blind eye to all these butchered animations. You have to be real here, the AI engine is just not ready yet for 100% accurate physics. It was a nice experiment to learn from for 2021 but i rather have a solid game over a bugged simulation.

So my time in the Thai league, and with BAL, has come to an end.

Season over. Won the title with Samut Prakan City scoring 27 in 28.

Honestly, it was an enjoyable experience overall I'd say. The Thai league was sloppy which was a refreshing change.

Gonna start my Manchester United ML save with my player imported from said BAL save and play in Old Trafford for the first time in a decade.

I have looked at peoples profile before a Online Divisions (PA1) match now for quite some time and I can conclude that I have not played one single person how have not had One touch passing as one of two possible playing styles... 🙃

Me? Aerial duels and Switching sides, not that effective 😂

i corrected today's match and spurs beat chelsea 2-1

if konami cannot do anything more with PES 2020 I hope they put huge efforts into delivering the EURO DLC.....Stuff like path to the EUROs etc.

Iif hey think about changing gameplay next year, I would also love it they considered introducing a 2020 DLC for next year's squads ...or even an annual 2020 DLC.

For a game to just switch on and play and get some sense of reward - I think they've delivered that nicely in Exh mode.

Hey there,
The new patch is a killer (in a good way) for me.. just keeps getting better gameplay wise. Yes its slower and heavier.. love it.
Also found that the difficulty has been ramped up quite a lot.. Legend.. wow.. find it so difficult to score or even get one on goal..but I love the fact that this is a great challenge at the top setting. Superstar is winnable..but even that has gotten the hardened treatment.. its tough.. love it.. ill stick with superstar.

Now whats interesting is that I noticed a couple of bugs, which I didn't notice before (maybe because ive had more time of late to play this great game).

1. When I concede a penalty, and my keeper points left or right (just before the PK taker runs up to kick) with circle or square, out of about 5 PK's, the cpu have always shot in the opposite direction that ive pointed, and hence ive saved every PK. ie. point left, and dive right.... its worked 5/5 times.. will try it again, but it cannot be conincidence, surely :) Perhaps something to post on Konami facebook.

2. Cannot remember if its me crossing or the cpu, but if the cross is too deep and reaches other corner post, the closest cpu player (along the touchline), igores the ball, and lets you get it first. It happened about 3 times a few days ago.. definite bug, and im not sure if this was there pre-patch. Ill play some more today, and try post a video. Good if Konami know about this one..

Apart from a few of these bugs, i have to say, im enjoying this game more and more after each update. Im seeing a lot of stuff, random things, which i havent before.. and new things keep coming up. Cheers :)

Both offline career modes just have such major flaws to them.

I've already talked about BAL plenty but I started my ML save with Manchester United only to find almost everyone had a hilariously low release clause.

I've spent the better part of the last idk hour? negotiating new contracts with almost the entire squad so the AI doesn't steal my players without me being able to do anything about it.

And why are so many players adamant about having release clauses? Especially the youngsters. It's just a waste of time dealing with.

Hey there,
The new patch is a killer (in a good way) for me.. just keeps getting better gameplay wise. Yes its slower and heavier.. love it.
Also found that the difficulty has been ramped up quite a lot.. Legend.. wow.. find it so difficult to score or even get one on goal..but I love the fact that this is a great challenge at the top setting. Superstar is winnable..but even that has gotten the hardened treatment.. its tough.. love it.. ill stick with superstar.

Now whats interesting is that I noticed a couple of bugs, which I didn't notice before (maybe because ive had more time of late to play this great game).

1. When I concede a penalty, and my keeper points left or right (just before the PK taker runs up to kick) with circle or square, out of about 5 PK's, the cpu have always shot in the opposite direction that ive pointed, and hence ive saved every PK. ie. point left, and dive right.... its worked 5/5 times.. will try it again, but it cannot be conincidence, surely :) Perhaps something to post on Konami facebook.

2. Cannot remember if its me crossing or the cpu, but if the cross is too deep and reaches other corner post, the closest cpu player (along the touchline), igores the ball, and lets you get it first. It happened about 3 times a few days ago.. definite bug, and im not sure if this was there pre-patch. Ill play some more today, and try post a video. Good if Konami know about this one..

Apart from a few of these bugs, i have to say, im enjoying this game more and more after each update. Im seeing a lot of stuff, random things, which i havent before.. and new things keep coming up. Cheers :)
Definitely harder, on top player for me is the perfect difficulty. I play full manual and tend to beat the teams i would expect to beat, and struggle against the ones i would expect to struggle against. Example arsenal in quarter final of cup went through on away goals (2-2 ... I lost one nil at home and won 2-1 away) and R Madrid in semi final went out on away goals (3-3 ....drew 2-2 at home and drew 1-1 away) Incredibly tight and tense games.

Both offline career modes just have such major flaws to them.

I've already talked about BAL plenty but I started my ML save with Manchester United only to find almost everyone had a hilariously low release clause.

I've spent the better part of the last idk hour? negotiating new contracts with almost the entire squad so the AI doesn't steal my players without me being able to do anything about it.

And why are so many players adamant about having release clauses? Especially the youngsters. It's just a waste of time dealing with.

I go through and select 'Refuse all offers' in the transfer policy on all players I'm not prepared to lose and I can't remember the last time (going back to 2019 as well) I lost a player to their release clause.

Got a few hours of "BAL" (it's actually ML but with a fixed cursor player) in tonight.

The more I play the more I genuinely think I might have to drop the difficulty simply because the teammate defensive AI is just so useless.

It shouldn't be this difficult for them to stop attack or win the ball back against vastly inferior opposition (vastly inferior opposition also shouldn't be able to control possession as effortlessly as they did tonight).

Not to mention how often the AI is passive or downright clueless. And how player switching, which continues to be plagued with issues, has my teammates completely ignoring the ball.

And what in the world did they do to pressing? I tell my teammates to press and they either just stand there or run in a completely unnecessary arc instead of actually closing down the player with the ball.

Sidenote: I wish they'd get rid of team spirit.

I had my fun with it though. Old Trafford looks good and Greenwood gets on the end of my crosses.

The overall tempo of the matches feels good, but good lord the teammate defensive AI needs all the help it can get. Which is a yearly recurring theme with this game.

I go through and select 'Refuse all offers' in the transfer policy on all players I'm not prepared to lose and I can't remember the last time (going back to 2019 as well) I lost a player to their release clause.

Yeah I always forget about that. I think I'll do that when the sun is up.

With regards to the release clauses, I've played 3 seasons and not had 1 team come in and meet a release clause of one of my players.

I try to get rid of them all but failing that, whack them up to the highest value possible which will say 'You seem to have rubbed the player up the wrong way' or whatever it says, but to negate this, give them maximum bonuses and they usually sign.

One plus side of release clauses is being able to steal a good player for a low price off another club.

Good luck with Mbappe though, 3 seasons in, his release clause is £569million 😂😂

Got a few hours of "BAL" (it's actually ML but with a fixed cursor player) in tonight.

The more I play the more I genuinely think I might have to drop the difficulty simply because the teammate defensive AI is just so useless.

It shouldn't be this difficult for them to stop attack or win the ball back against vastly inferior opposition (vastly inferior opposition also shouldn't be able to control possession as effortlessly as they did tonight).

Not to mention how often the AI is passive or downright clueless. And how player switching, which continues to be plagued with issues, has my teammates completely ignoring the ball.

And what in the world did they do to pressing? I tell my teammates to press and they either just stand there or run in a completely unnecessary arc instead of actually closing down the player with the ball.

Sidenote: I wish they'd get rid of team spirit.

I had my fun with it though. Old Trafford looks good and Greenwood gets on the end of my crosses.

The overall tempo of the matches feels good, but good lord the teammate defensive AI needs all the help it can get. Which is a yearly recurring theme with this game.

Fixed cursor/BAL is unplayable because of your team-mate's defensive passiveness, refusal to tackle and as you say, when you tell them to press, they run around the attacker and are quite obviously programmed to not win the ball back.

And because the cpu AI refuse to shoot unless they're within about 6 yards of the goal, it leads to these prolonged passages of play where the cpu is passing and dribbling around your box but refusing to shoot, with your team-mates doing this pointless jockey and clearly not going to try win the ball back .... and it can last for minutes at a time. It's like a stale-mate where nothing is going to happen until you move in and make the tackle yourself...every time.

And it doesn't help that every cpu player can shield the ball like they have a 2 feet thick steel barrier around them. But your guys are shoved off the ball at the slightest touch.

The team-mate attacking AI has improved a reasonable amount since the game was first released but the defensive side is now game-breaking. It wasn't as bad as this in earlier patches. Badly needs fixed.

With regards to the release clauses, I've played 3 seasons and not had 1 team come in and meet a release clause of one of my players.

I try to get rid of them all but failing that, whack them up to the highest value possible which will say 'You seem to have rubbed the player up the wrong way' or whatever it says, but to negate this, give them maximum bonuses and they usually sign.

One plus side of release clauses is being able to steal a good player for a low price off another club.

Good luck with Mbappe though, 3 seasons in, his release clause is £569million 😂😂
You can't negate "rubbing player" by max release clause, even if you max out everything else.
Or at least and according to past ML menus, you set up the succes rate to near 0%.

Your chance to get in touch with PES Dev Team tomorrow here

Not dev team, just some guys who take care of translations. To me it comes off as a cheap way to crowdsource translation bugs. Not at all interesting for the fans; case in point being the 150 comments up to now and not one of them is on-topic.

Hey, maybe they want to start with something light and see how it goes before they do an AMA with actual senior programmers/designers/producers. Lets stay postive and say its a babystep in the right direction.

Not dev team, just some guys who take care of translations. To me it comes off as a cheap way to crowdsource translation bugs. Not at all interesting for the fans; case in point being the 150 comments up to now and not one of them is on-topic.

Hey, maybe they want to start with something light and see how it goes before they do an AMA with actual senior programmers/designers/producers. Lets stay postive and say its a babystep in the right direction.

Technically the translation guy is part of dev team while *maybe* they're not responsible for programming related issue ( gameplay, etc ). Yep, i agree, this year we have something official to report our feedback regarding the game. It's better than nothing i guess.

Back
Top Bottom