eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

There is your "chapters" again. I knew you were going to hit it sooner or later ;)

To add to all this idiocy, when you interrupt the match and then simulate it, it's usually a clear cut result. 4-1 in my case. Why? Because it's based on comparing the stats and nothing else. So why, why, why can't it be like that when you actually play it? Mind-boggling, really.

I had a similar experience on 2018, when i was trying to make some sense on Superstar difficulty for about 6 (wasted) months. All my teams were flatted down and hammered by the AI handicapping, but every time i made a club change agreement mid-season and SIM the matches until the transfer window to change club, my team was winning all SIM games 4-0, 4-1. After i moved to the new club, i was keeping an eye on my previous team, that i set up the roster (player stats) and they were most times winning the League, with 90% winning streaks.

It was like the game CPU was trolling me at my face.

I haven't read a lot recently, is it actually possible to get an option file with tactics such as klashmans already saved?

---WARNING!-- This is PC related but keep reading because it's about gameplay more than PC and modding.

Hey fam
I haven't played much since the Demo (which I loved).
Right after the full game came out and all the modding tools became available shorty (being on PC, obviously) I got to making my yearly Mod.
So besides a few passes here and there, or shots (mostly to test the lighting and turfs I was working on) before quitting the match I really didn't play a whole lot of the full game. My aim has always been to finish my mod right before the October patch came out. And I did.
I've been anxiously waiting for this patch to finally Start a ML or any other Game Mode for that matter.

So yesterday, after spending quite some time downloading a Patch (to license all teams + Bundesliga + all kits including 3rd and 4th kits), Scoreboards, Stadiums and all that... I cracked my joints, sat comfortably in my chair and decided to have a great PES 2020 session...

...Only to find out, the game is far, far, far worse than I expected it to be.
I was surprised, annoyed and disgusted at how long I had been waiting for this patch to finally play PES, and stumbling upon this was horrible.

Passing felt so assisted on PA1, and even manual, I actually had to check that I had in fact set it to manual, that it made no sense at all.
Players felt weighty (which was nice in the demo) but so unresponsive at the same time.
The moving and dribbling lanes, the angles in which players seem to be able to move, felt so limited, so restricted.
The AI still doing the same old pass-the-ball-to-the-CF-as-soon-as-possible that was in the demo.

I had to quit and play different matches with different teams to see if maybe it was players stats or something.
Tried about 10 different matches. Couldn't enjoy any of them.

I seriously don't remember the game being like this from the Demo.
It's not that I'm longing for the demo to come back, because I know that won't happen. But I feel so disappointed right now.

Maybe it's not as evident to you guys because you've been playing the game left and right since the demo came out and all the way up to this point so it's less noticeable. But for me, it was like... OK, they didn't just speed the game up, or made it slower. They didn't just reduce fouls to barely any, they didn't just increase CPU pressing, they didn't just tightened the space between the lines (which I liked). They pretty much automated the game. Less freedom. The ball is now more glued to players feet as it ever was. And the thing that bothered me the most is, like I said, the angles and radius in which players seem to be able to move - So restricted.

If this is what exhibition mode matches felt like (which are usually where PES gameplay shines the most) I can't even begin to image how much Master League sucks this year!

Sorry to be a downer. But I had to get it off my chest.
I hope it was just me having a bad day after my dentist almost killed me from the anaesthesia.
I will try again tonight.

Peace.

Having played v1.00 until the patch came, yep this is all true.
After a couple weeks, I've managed to scrub v.1.00 freedom and randomness from my mind.
But it's not a good thing. It's just that v1.00 means no official kits, no transfers unless done manually which would take a day or more, worse graphics and worse sound.
Having played v1.4, v1.00 for all its charm feels barren and empty, even more so than 1.4.

So it's now a choice. Best gameplay with no bells and whistles. Or solid gameplay with updated everything.
At the moment it's the latter for me.

You get conditioned to the lack of freedom. It's also worth saying your own team AI is overall better in v1.4.

Will that freedom ever come back? I dont think konami can gave both freedom and polish. Their game engine and optimising processes clearly only allow for one or the other...

I installed klashmans tactics and started two different ML´s on two different rigs.

One in Serie B and one in spanish 2nd division.
Can´t say anything about the tactics yet, as they aren´t set for the 2nd divisions, but I´m very curious.

I´m laying with a gameplay patch which brought back elements of the demo version as in first touch error, freedom of the ball etc.

On both ML´s I have a TS of average 50 and a few of those matches feel very scripted, even I am playing on regular.
Yesterday I had a few bs games which been like you totally know when AI scores.
And whenever I score, the next attack of AI is gonna be successful and it really has been that way.

But I guess I still blame it on the TS and my weak players.
My finances are very low and I can´t afford good ones yet, which is quite cool.
I have been so tempted to buy so many good players in the recent releases.

Now it´s a lot more of a challenge.

Still having fun with this, though even with those bs games.

I dont mind it, just wish we could punish them physically. Right now all the collisions go the keeper's way and you can't even take them out with a slide tackle. At least when they have the ball in their hands...
I remember growing up playing ‘the game that should not be named’, you could break the barrier on the edge of the box and completely assault the keeper and what was ridiculous, is sometimes you’d only get a yellow! “Now now, I’ll have none of that, old boy. Ok fine, you get one more, but then that is it.”
The game was never the same once they removed that gem.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Professional difficulty on Master League? I’ve never gone below Top Player. My feeling is it will probably be too easy, but I remember reading from someone (perhaps on here) that the AI play more realistically and less OP.

Has anyone tried Professional difficulty on Master League? I’ve never gone below Top Player. My feeling is it will probably be too easy, but I remember reading from someone (perhaps on here) that the AI play more realistically and less OP.
Im on Prof atm. But bare in mind - im also playing full manual. PA0, manual shots and advanced through balls. Nice, challenging and (most of the time) balanced.

Im on Prof atm. But bare in mind - im also playing full manual. PA0, manual shots and advanced through balls. Nice, challenging and (most of the time) balanced.
I’m always PA0 and I’m between basic shooting and advanced, but I don’t understand the delay on advanced through balls, so I can’t use it. How’s the defending? Does it feel easy to evade challenges at times? I enjoy playing against Superstar from an attacking point of view, but defending against them is a nightmare, because it always seems that no matter how well you defend and plug the gaps, they’ll always find a way to breach.

but I don’t understand the delay on advanced through balls
Yeah, they're a bit bolloxed this year. Still, I chose to use them as some of the through balls you can pull out with advanced are amazing and impossible to do on basic. But I only use them when I have time and space.
For short quick ones I use normal pass or lob pass.

How’s the defending? Does it feel easy to evade challenges at times?
Not much of a difference between TP and Prof there Im afraid. Its ok to dribble pass them with left stick, but finesse dribbling and skill are useless more often than not.
AI tackles are very precise, too precise. And finesse dribbling and skills are very unresponsive.
But AI makes more errors in offense. They miss the goal and missplace passes more often, which is a nice balance to my settings, thats why Im sticking to it for the moment. Once I start feeling that it gets a bit too easy i'll bump it up to TP.

I´m even on regular at the moment.
Playing full manual, 20 mins, -1 speed and just started ML with Pescara.
TS is very low and players have an average of like 65 OR.

Still kinda hard to beat AI.

Yeah, they're a bit bolloxed this year. Still, I chose to use them as some of the through balls you can pull out with advanced are amazing and impossible to do on basic. But I only use them when I have time and space.
For short quick ones I use normal pass or lob pass.
I thought it was just me doing something wrong haha. I used it against Man City (really bad idea) and they just watched me as I lifted back my leg in slow motion and then at the last second stole it off me Charlie Brown style right when I’m about to kick it. I try to remember to use L2 with my through balls, but sometimes I forget.

Not much of a difference between TP and Prof there Im afraid. Its ok to dribble pass them with left stick, but finesse dribbling and skill are useless more often than not.
AI tackles are very precise, too precise. And finesse dribbling and skills are very unresponsive.
But AI makes more errors in offense. They miss the goal and missplace passes more often, which is a nice balance to my settings, thats why Im sticking to it for the moment. Once I start feeling that it gets a bit too easy i'll bump it up to TP.
See I’m actually pretty good at taking on the Superstar AI. I don’t use skills (per se) or the useless finesse dribbling, I just do the left stick body feint, use the shielding at the right time and then turn them one way and the other, almost like the ‘breaking ankles’ move in basketball.
More errors is definitely fine with me, as long as they’re not passive and just parting like the Red Sea every time I attack.

I thought it was just me doing something wrong haha. I used it against Man City (really bad idea) and they just watched me as I lifted back my leg and then at the last second stole it off me Charlie Brown style right when I’m about to kick it.
No, it was like that since the demo. I was using Advanced all the time before pes20. When demo came out - straight away I noticed they were bolloxed. And unfortunately, any manual settings are far down the bottom of Konami fix list, so I dont think they will be addressed.
Animation itself looks nice, when the player is setting up to it, but its only relevant to long distance through balls. No one in the right state of mind wouldnt attempt to kick like this in tight space.. unfortunately, regardless of our input - animation is always the same.
Hence I dont use them in tight spaces and short through balls.

More errors is definitely fine with me, as long as they’re not passive and just parting like the Red Sea every time I attack.
I dont think they are more passive. They pass around at the back sometimes, but this also happens on higher difficulties. They react, they go more offensive, I see shots from distance and AI dribbles.. its challenging enough.
In the demo it was easy to take the ball of them when GK was passing to the nearest player. I dont get this anymore. They react quicker, pass around smarter.

Removing them from all teams in edit mode!! That’s it.
Turn on auto offside trap for your team, apply @klashman69 tactics and you are good to go! :)

Can you (or others) elaborate please on this issue with Deep Defensive and auto offside trap?

Tried reading a bit and not sure I understand what it will resolve.

Playing on PS4 if it matters.

Many thanks :)

No, it was like that since the demo. I was using Advanced all the time before pes20. When demo came out - straight away I noticed they were bolloxed. And unfortunately, any manual settings are far down the bottom of Konami fix list, so I dont think they will be addressed.
Animation itself looks nice, when the player is setting up to it, but its only relevant to long distance through balls. No one in the right state of mind wouldnt attempt to kick like this in tight space.. unfortunately, regardless of our input - animation is always the same.
Hence I dont use them in tight spaces and short through balls.
I don’t understand why they wouldn’t fix them, surely they know that it’s not how it’s meant to be. Coding is complicated so when something random (like the loose balls bug) pops up, I feel for them because it’s not an easy fix. But when a feature like advanced through balls has worked on previous editions of the game, but not this one, that just doesn’t make sense to me. It’s not that different a game.
Do you not think that basic through balls with L2 (like I said) would give you the same results?

I dont think they are more passive. They pass around at the back sometimes, but this also happens on higher difficulties. They react, they go more offensive, I see shots from distance and AI dribbles.. its challenging enough.
In the demo it was easy to take the ball of them when GK was passing to the nearest player. I dont get this anymore. They react quicker, pass around smarter.
That’s interesting. I mean even on Superstar and Legend, I’m seeing silly situations where the goalkeeper tries to launch a throw from the box to the left back or right back, but get it over my head when I’m only like 5 yards away from them, so I can easily get the ball back. I’m just looking for a good challenge, but a challenge where it feels like you can achieve something if you’re clever, but get punished if you make a mistake.
Seriously, play Man City on superstar.. I play 20 min matches, and I was 2-0 down after 5 mins haha. They just kept breaching gaps that didn’t seem possible to be breached and their shooting was laser focused.

I didn't honestly think TS would make such a difference to ML but obviously it does.
That probably explains it. In the past PES master leagues, I never had much problem with ML.
So is it a case of playing the players which make the TS higher or.. Playing players up for it?

There's quite a few factors. For a start, certain player roles (Like Team Player) automatically increase the TS value (they somehow help the team work together better?). Also players in their preferred position (so 'cyan' on the positions graphic) are better than okay positions (green) in turn better than entirely out of position. Players also have a familiarity with certain tactical options (defending preference for example). If you sign a player who has a news article saying they're already familiar (or conversely, those that aren't used to the style) will impact TS. If all things are considered equal (or early in a ML where the most important thing to me IS TS) I will choose a player who matches my favoured tactical choices. I think a lot of use when taking over a team immediately pick a different formation, that in itself will likely hurt TS. Having better motivated players might have a bigger impact. But I've never noted it as there's so many other variables that make it hard to test this directly.

I never understand why the goalkeepers always stay rooted on their line in a 1 on 1 situation, no keeper does that, apart from 8 year olds playing sunday league. Keepers like Neuer, Alison and Kepa have the right idea in game, but then they go nuts and don’t stop, literally trying to hunt me down like feral creatures.

They certainly don't all stay routed. It seems* to vary based on...
  • Playing style - offensive appears to come out more
  • GK stats - aggressive ones and faster (speed + accel) seem to come out more
  • Team attacking level
  • Positioning of defenders around you - like they stay on their line if they think a defender might catch you or something
  • Ability of the attacker - In my latest ML, I have a 75 finishing striker and a 62 (I know, but he's got great dribbling and passing so makes a good False 9) The former gets closed down less than the latter. It makes sense in a way I guess (since the latter is more likely to miss a chip shot), but he does (very) occasionally dribble past the GK.

*Obviously this is all anecdotal, I've not got any hard data as it's too situational.

@Negatrev Yeah as I said in my post, I’ve noticed that Alisson, Kepa & Neuer do it because they are aggressive sweeper keepers, but every keeper should do it, because every keeper does do it. The idea is to close off the goal by making yourself appear larger and give the striker less of the goal to aim at. Konami gets it wrong for me, they either stay on their line, or they come rushing to the edge of the box. The former just looks silly and makes it easier for the striker. Whereas the latter just invites you to chip with ease. The correct area is between the penalty spot and six yard box, that way the keeper closes the goal off more and there’s less room behind him for the striker to perfect the chip.

Here is my latest game on legendry in champions league match as part of my league. Someone asked how to stop AI always going to CF to turn and shoot which they do on higher levels but it seems only if you let them. Using a high compact defense and marking the CF they didn't try it once in 2 games. Game before when I give aguero space and was deep every chance they got they tried it

So legendary PA1 adv shooting klashman tactics, offside trap auto
Very tight game and subs are so important on legendary due to fatigue which I have set to accumaltive
1 nil win for me

anyone here know why I turned off HDCP on my PS4?

I probably did it during PES 2016/17 but can't remember why. something to do with getting option files to work?

DO you guys have HDCP on or off? not sure what it does but i'm going to reenable it.

@Negatrev Yeah as I said in my post, I’ve noticed that Alisson, Kepa & Neuer do it because they are aggressive sweeper keepers, but every keeper should do it, because every keeper does do it. The idea is to close off the goal by making yourself appear larger and give the striker less of the goal to aim at. Konami gets it wrong for me, they either stay on their line, or they come rushing to the edge of the box. The former just looks silly and makes it easier for the striker. Whereas the latter just invites you to chip with ease. The correct area is between the penalty spot and six yard box, that way the keeper closes the goal off more and there’s less room behind him for the striker to perfect the chip.

Agreed. Guess they made it like that so the likes of Alisson and Neuer stick out. But too often you get a 1-on-1 which regardless of the difficulty setting is just too easy because the goalkeeper will not do anything to put pressure on the attacker.

Hopefully it is something that can at least be improved with stats with turning every goalkeeper into a wannabe midfielder like Neuer. :D

anyone here know why I turned off HDCP on my PS4?

I probably did it during PES 2016/17 but can't remember why. something to do with getting option files to work?

DO you guys have HDCP on or off? not sure what it does but i'm going to reenable it.
HDCP is to allow the playback of copyrighted content. There are apps, like anything Sky has their grubby mitts on for example, that prevent you from watching content if it detects HDCP is turned off as you could, for example, be hooking it up to a capture card and broadcasting a Premier League game to the world for free.

Remember illegal streaming? HDCP got rid of all that! The corporations won, guys. Oh wait.

3 games of professional and I’m loving it so far. I’m only playing exhibition but it’s a great challenge. Just played a game vs Tottenham and it ended 0-0, but I had 11 shots (5 on target) and they had 10 (6 on target), perfect for a 20 minute match. 5 fouls from me, 6 from them. Oh, and friggin Pogba had a penalty saved in the 70th minute too.. justice for that run up I guess.
And you’re right, there seems to be more variation in their shots. Eriksen and Son hit some fierce long rangers, with one or two being that knuckle ball kind of shot.
I also don’t feel stressed playing it waiting for the inevitable sucker punch haha, it feels a fair game, but I know that if I don’t remain vigilant and concentrate, they will punish me. It’s great

Agreed. Guess they made it like that so the likes of Alisson and Neuer stick out. But too often you get a 1-on-1 which regardless of the difficulty setting is just too easy because the goalkeeper will not do anything to put pressure on the attacker.

Hopefully it is something that can at least be improved with stats with turning every goalkeeper into a wannabe midfielder like Neuer. :D
That’s an interesting idea actually, adjusting the stats and skills etc. A ball ache, but interesting.

3 games of professional and I’m loving it so far. I’m only playing exhibition but it’s a great challenge. Just played a game vs Tottenham and it ended 0-0, but I had 11 shots (5 on target) and they had 10 (6 on target), perfect for a 20 minute match. 5 fouls from me, 6 from them. Oh, and friggin Pogba had a penalty saved in the 70th minute too.. justice for that run up I guess.
And you’re right, there seems to be more variation in their shots. Eriksen and Son hit some fierce long rangers, with one or two being that knuckle ball kind of shot.
I also don’t feel stressed playing it waiting for the inevitable sucker punch haha, it feels a fair game, but I know that if I don’t remain vigilant and concentrate, they will punish me. It’s great
Exactly my setup when I’m not playing ML. And the stats at the end are similar to mine. Isn’t that a nice game?! :)

That’s an interesting idea actually, adjusting the stats and skills etc. A ball ache, but interesting.

I haven't had much of a chance to play around with stats yet. Didn't both much the last few games because plainly put stats didn't really matter!

Will be interesting to checkout, I remember globally adjusting stats with PES 6 really helped with getting the game to play how you liked.

Back
Top Bottom