eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So looks like both Serie A (licensed...ish?) and a fully licenced Serie B?
My finger had been hoovering around the pre order/order button some time now,and it's getting harder and harder not to.
I need a pep talk from @Emroth and @PRO_TOO (my sponsors on my Pes addiction)
Haha!
Im not pre ordering it, coz I dont want to jinx it. But if they dont touch too much - I shall jump into it with both hands and feet.

There are small issues, that I would like them to fix, but Im really scared that everything is connected and a tweak in one place can have consequences somewhere else..

Stamina bug - no brainer. Fix the damn thing. They had same issue last year. Once you triggered player run - he deflated like a balloon. So yeah - easy fix.
Im happy, especially that Adam said ONLY bugs will be fixed. Overall stamina system stays the same. So there is hope for injuries and tough decisions at the end of matches.

..But the rest scares me shitless..

I have problems with player switching on manual. A lot of times Im passing into space, or there is a deflection and nobody in vicinity wants to switch. Im hammering L1, right stick and Im switching to ballboys, referees, supporters - everyone except the players that I need.
But Im afraid that if they touch it - it might lose its randomness. Players might be more magnetic to the ball, freedom might suffer...

Those 50/50 air balls, or little soft stupid clashes, that are fouls, especially when playing against AI. Again - scared shitless, that physicality might be gone..

As it stands - I would gladly take the game as it is, with all its faults. Because they are not game breaking to me. Whole package is best since Pes17.

There's some info here:
https://www.konami.com/wepes/2020/as/en-sg/all/topic/master_league

In response to feedback from the community, the team have worked hard this year to implement a more realistic transfer system.

The transfer market in PES 2020 will use a brand-new algorithm built on a rich library of real world football data to ensure that transfers, transfer fees, salaries and various other elements are in close alignment with reality.

The new transfer system will be more customizable than previous years, with the ability to configure how often players transfer, how difficult negotiations will be, how often your players are payed and whether your first year will feature a pre-season transfer window.
before the demo, I would think all of these are overhyped statements as usual
but after playing the demo, somehow I believe they might actually accomplish what they said/announced this year

Ok guys. This is the gamebreaker for me so far. I even can live with less fouls but not with this.

Last few days I played I wasnt able to score a single one.. I played with Boca Juniors and their FK takers are bit lower on stats, which gives me hope it is more based on stats this year. But ill give you a vote, coz in general it was piss easy and even now, all the goals from free kicks, that people are posting, makes me go "meh...".

Edit: this tweet was deleted. :LOL:

Last few days I played I wasnt able to score a single one.. I played with Boca Juniors and their FK takers are bit lower on stats, which gives me hope it is more based on stats this year. But ill give you a vote, coz in general it was piss easy and even now, all the goals from free kicks, that people are posting, makes me go "meh...".

Edit: this tweet was deleted. :LOL:

Yeah i messed it up. I made a new one.
Well the FKs havent been touched since last year. Last year in ML Calhanoglu was my top scorer with 26 goals. 20 goals were free kicks. This demo is the same. I can score with anyone rated 75+

After this i played with Vasco but for a different reason against Barca. Scored two free kick goals with them.

physicality and overlong player animations are still huge problem in pes. players stumble about constantly from the slightest knocks, and everytime it happens you lose control of the player for a moment. its not fluid and it feels super exaggarated.

I had a shot from close distance in the dying minutes of a match, and you can see two of the defenders on the opposing team just diving in front of the ball to try to block it whatever way they can, but it went in, and it was such a lovely moment. I just sat there rewinding that goal for a bit just to marvel at the animation of the diving defenders, it looked really, really good. Here's a video of it:

I'll throw in a few more random goals I've scored that I've enjoyed for whatever reason. None of them are necessarily best goals of the month type of goals, but I enjoyed them none the less. :)

Last edited:
So looks like both Serie A (licensed...ish?) and a fully licenced Serie B?
My finger had been hoovering around the pre order/order button some time now,and it's getting harder and harder not to.
I need a pep talk from @Emroth and @PRO_TOO (my sponsors on my Pes addiction)

To me it only makes sense to preorder if you are an online player/want to get on the online rankings quicker/want to develop your MyClub team faster
AND you either have a lot of faith the online game will be an excellent experience OR you love MyClub for what it has been OR you are just naïve to online/new to PES.

Anything else then I'd advise a little patience...not only for the good of your wallet but possibly for the longer term success of PES.

To me it only makes sense to preorder if you are an online player/want to get on the online rankings quicker/want to develop your MyClub team faster
AND you either have a lot of faith the online game will be an excellent experience OR you love MyClub for what it has been OR you are just naïve to online/new to PES.

Anything else then I'd advise a little patience.
Me as an offline player,like you said,better wait

I leave you guys now for a couple of hours. It’s match day in my amateur class. Need to lead my team to victory. :)

But here is a present. I forced the AI to score this one for me this morning. :D

Won 1:0! :)

Difficult to top, but how about a beautiful own goal, not by the AI, but by a dumb human player (aka myself). Ridiculous. This was on PA1 by the way. Not much of an assistance.

We should have an own goal thread indeed.

I watched his YouTube video on the subject. I liked how he also doesn’t like the control changes for exactly the same reasons as me, however, he states things he’s not a fan of, but doesn’t complain and just gets on with it. So fair play to him.

It’s not that I don’t know how to use it. I hold R2 all the time because I like the cool touches. Then I just keep hold of it. However, knowing how to use it doesn’t mean I like it :D I absolutely fell in love with the old system after 10 minutes, but 10 hours into the demo and I still don’t like it. Despite loving the demo, my own personal big gripe with it is no matter how much I try I just find dribbling a chore and not fun any more, from a skill moves point of view. Holding off defenders etc is a million times better, I love that side of it, just not the unintuitive controls for the bit of magic to beat a player. If they had an option to change the controls back to 2019s R2 finesse dribbling but with the new new finesse touch included, I’d take it in a heart beat.

But that’s just my own personal taste.

I'm in the exact same boat. I simply don't find dribbling in PES these year enjoyable, and a huge part of that is the controls. And I swear half the time I try finesse dribbling I can't tell if it's even doing anything, or what I'm doing wrong, or it just feels delayed/unresponsive.

In terms of just pure gameplay - which for the most part is pretty damn great - I think dribbling and headed shots are my biggest disappointments with the game.

Difficult to top, but how about a beautiful own goal, not by the AI, but by a dumb human player (aka myself). Ridiculous. This was on PA1 by the way. Not much of an assistance.

We should have an own goal thread indeed.
Love this :D
Best own goal I ever saw was in a co op match Fifa, my mate was wide left in their half, thought he’d lost the ball so went to slide tackle the opponent. Didn’t realise he still had the ball so, as straight as an arrow, absolutely smashed it back towards the keeper and the fantastic AI let it go through his legs!! Then only a week or so later Kondogbia scores an incredible own goal for Inter.

Hilarious own goals are the best.

I'm in the exact same boat. I simply don't find dribbling in PES these year enjoyable, and a huge part of that is the controls. And I swear half the time I try finesse dribbling I can't tell if it's even doing anything, or what I'm doing wrong, or it just feels delayed/unresponsive.

In terms of just pure gameplay - which for the most part is pretty damn great - I think dribbling and headed shots are my biggest disappointments with the game.
I quite like headers :D barely ever scored any last year.

I’ve never been able to get to grips with the crossing. I know it’s just me being a clown because I’ve not once ever seen anyone complain about it, but I cannot cross on PES to save my life. 2020 feels slightly different but I’m still hopeless at it.

Are we playing the same game Klash?..response issues?..players not responding off the ball?..Passive AI?

Sounds like your playing a different PES..

For me this is the smoothest,most responsive pes we have had since the ps2..

Not having issues with teammates not reacting either.

There’s a weight to physicality,momentum and inertia..Its not a delay or response issue imo..The games as smooth as butter.

I think i should upload videos i made to be honest.

Basically i love the game but i'm realistic that it needs work and it will fail in the state its in now. Konami have the base setup correct but its essentially fine for a early demo but when the full game hits ad people aren't rushed about playing 5 minute matches the responsiveness issues will be exposed and in the current state now this game wont last, fix the issues and we will have a special football game which will provide the fundamental basis for greatness moving towards to PS5.

Lets start here by what you say.

Are we playing the same game Klash?..response issues?..players not responding off the ball?..Passive AI?

There’s a weight to physicality,momentum and inertia..Its not a delay or response issue imo..The games as smooth as butter.

See this brings me back to what i said 6 weeks ago regarding people being stuck in the past, but it's more alluding to people finding a style of gameplay, pace of gameplay they like and not wanting any changes because if the game achieves what they want, there 'no' problem, its perfect. This is whats happening here which what you say, your interpretation of 'responsiveness' is outdated from what you have shown.

Why? well I have zero issues with inertia and momentum, its absolutely beautiful in this game, its revolutionary and it works, i have no problem with this, this is NOT the responsiveness I'm talking about. I will add also the physicality is probably after the Right Stick the best improvement over PES 2019, i also have no big issues with the tackling system, there so much skill involved, i love it.

My big issue is best shown if you boot up a CPU vs CPU game, if you really want to tell me this game doesn't have severe broken passive AI issues off the ball then your blind, I'm sorry, I personally think Konami did this on purpose to give people time and space to get to understand the right stick which is understandable but they can't release the game like this. I can walk you through it as i can upload this video to show you but there isn't much point because you can all see it for yourselves when you select a CPU vs CPU match and please, please stick it on superstar, just so you can see its a setting which is just crazy how passive the AI is off the ball.

Here is and example of what you see in CPU vs CPU matches even on superstar:

Rashford has the ball near the far touchline. just 10 yards from the halfway line inside his own half and is immediately pursued and tracked by Xhaka, first few seconds, not issue, but then for the next 10 seconds, literally nothing changes, Xhaka continues to allow Rashford to run forward until he reaches the Arsenal 18 yard box near the touchline still and, yes, sadly even allows Rashford to stop, turn round the get a cross in which needs good save by Leno to keep it out. I'm sorry but that's broken!

I noticed this immediately in the first few games the AI is so passive when you move at a certain speed its stupid, and broken. Because the demo is locked to 5 minutes you don't notice it so badly, also this specifically happens running at a rather slow speed so its not a deal breaker for me or most but its a concern if the game is released with the demo code, everyone will be very unhappy and it will cause severe exploits offline. If you know the AI refuse to tackle you when you run at a slow speed this will eventually because unplayable! remember CPU vs CPU is very important to understand how you teammates work off the ball and understand the tactics mechanics.

Further explaining this issue also, if i select Mouche from Colo Colo, or another fast but average winger from Sao Paulo, if i hold R2 and want to try some step overs to beat a man to cut inside, i want him to 'perform the action', ESPECIALLY if he has 'scissors feint' as a trait! I don't care if the game engine shows its realism and he messes it up or he doesn't do it successfully enough to beat a man, just as long as he does it. I do not want to see zero response at all to my button input, again this must be improved. Skills are important for flair players to use and people need the confidence that players will respond to their commands which they aren't consistently enough in regards to skill moves.

I said at the beginning of the demo i was very skeptical of the 5 Minute gametime lock, that concerned me because I knew 100% they where hiding something. If they are confident there isn't a huge exploit if GUARANTEE you we would of got a 10 minute demo like we used to see. We saw the same thing last year where they tired to hide the 1 dimensional low cross attack only AI on release. Look at the shitshow PES 2019 was on release, i don't want that to happen to PES 2020. We have something great here but key bugs must be sorted and sorted ON RELEASE, not in October.

Konami have done some great work and what happens in with all the new stuff implemented it takes time to get the balance right, some of these settings are 'off'. This game has the best ball physics i have ever seen in a football game, however the side effect of this is the AI at times is super clumsy as it seems hey are unaware how to respond in certain unique situations, these bugs must be addressed and shown so Konami know how to get to the bottom of errors and move the game forward. I have another video CPU vs CPU showing Aubameyang with a clear run on goal, just simply not responding to the space, not this wasn't an organic bad touch, he had full control of the ball, he just seem to 'lag' in response to run forward! This is just a bug, a very similar flaw i saw in PES 2019. This is linked to responsiveness and i believe most of it is down to balance issues due to all the wonderful new stuff which has been implemented still needs more development.

I feel the need to post this to you because i believe your getting carried away, you found something you like and your ignoring 1 or 2 very glaring flaws which need sorting so we will get possibly the best and most realistic football game of all time at some point this year but hopefully on release.

Again i say this not just to you but everyone, try and watch 5 CPU vs CPU matches back to back, i mean by the 3 one the flaw will be so ugly and obvious you will stop and give up. This affects the game however you play against the AI offline so i it's a major flaw, thank one of the games 2 only flaws because the rest is awesome.

-

The biggest problem I've had with the new right stick finesse dribble is learning to release the left stick when using it, my brain just automatically goes...

*Dribbling... use the left stick*

:LOL:
I know man. It takes time to get your head around but its worth it.

Are you kidding? Right? The most responsive and smoothest Pes ever? Nah. For these reasons Pes 2020 not feel like Pes for me. Its good game but its not Pes which i loved in the past. Pes 2020 remind me FIFA 08.

yeah reminds me of FIFA 08 in a good way though for me, that game was well 'special' in terms of well not just no responsiveness at times stuck heavily on rails!

#
I feel the need to post this to you because i believe your getting carried away, you found something you like and your ignoring 1 or 2 very glaring flaws which need sorting so we will get possibly the best and most realistic football game of all time at some point this year but hopefully on release.

Again i say this not just to you but everyone, try and watch 5 CPU vs CPU matches back to back, i mean by the 3 one the flaw will be so ugly and obvious you will stop and give up. This affects the game however you play against the AI offline so i it's a major flaw, thank one of the games 2 only flaws because the rest is awesome.

-

the awareness problems are very obvious, I saw even thetruebrit discuss in one of his videos

some people refuse to see something then get angry because they think Konami has changed something in the final game but actually it was always there. it is better to be realistic but I think these issues are a bit tied to the engine and have been there since 2014, the best you can hope for before new engine/hardware is slight improvement, which can be enough when the rest of the game is at a high level.

For a player that has always enjoyed the dribbling mechanics, this year is tough and very player specific. But, easily the best ever produced. So technical, precise, inertia body angles, foot stance, centre of gravity; it's got the lot.

And the first touch, first introduced in PES 10, is on another level.

The shooting mechanics are so much better, as always, real-life technique related. The best yet.

Not played it a lot due to time restrictions, but what Ive seen is a huge advancement on the PES fundamentals.

I've just signed for Wallsend Boys Club over 40's in the premier league. Privileged to be part of a team over 115 years old. And produced the likes of Shearer, Carrick, Beardsley, Steve Bruce etc etc. At 45, life in this old dog yet.

Haha!
Im not pre ordering it, coz I dont want to jinx it. But if they dont touch too much - I shall jump into it with both hands and feet.

There are small issues, that I would like them to fix, but Im really scared that everything is connected and a tweak in one place can have consequences somewhere else..

Stamina bug - no brainer. Fix the damn thing. They had same issue last year. Once you triggered player run - he deflated like a balloon. So yeah - easy fix.
Im happy, especially that Adam said ONLY bugs will be fixed. Overall stamina system stays the same. So there is hope for injuries and tough decisions at the end of matches.

..But the rest scares me shitless..

I have problems with player switching on manual. A lot of times Im passing into space, or there is a deflection and nobody in vicinity wants to switch. Im hammering L1, right stick and Im switching to ballboys, referees, supporters - everyone except the players that I need.
But Im afraid that if they touch it - it might lose its randomness. Players might be more magnetic to the ball, freedom might suffer...

Those 50/50 air balls, or little soft stupid clashes, that are fouls, especially when playing against AI. Again - scared shitless, that physicality might be gone..

As it stands - I would gladly take the game as it is, with all its faults. Because they are not game breaking to me. Whole package is best since Pes17.
Im pretty fucking tempted,it's a beautiful demo,played a bunch of games earlier,haven't really much since the release,don't want to screw up my other Pes games I'm playing.
Player switching in manual have been an issue since PES 18,they need to sort that out,but not by the cost of the lose and great feel,rather have an iffy switching than a rigid one (CPU players reacting faster etc)
I'm going to have a hard time not buying this one very early if I see my leagues being licenced.

Are you kidding? Right? The most responsive and smoothest Pes ever? Nah. For these reasons Pes 2020 not feel like Pes for me. Its good game but its not Pes which i loved in the past. Pes 2020 remind me FIFA 08.

yeah reminds me of FIFA 08 in a good way though for me, that game was well 'special' in terms of well,
For a player that has always enjoyed the dribbling mechanics, this year is tough and very player specific. But, easily the best ever produced. So technical, precise, inertia body angles, foot stance, centre of gravity; it's got the lot.

And the first touch, first introduced in PES 10, is on another level.

The shooting mechanics are so much better, as always, real-life technique related. The best yet.

Not played it a lot due to time restrictions, but what Ive seen is a huge advancement on the PES fundamentals.

I've just signed for Wallsend Boys Club over 40's in the premier league. Privileged to be part of a team over 115 years old. And produced the likes of Shearer, Carrick, Beardsley, Steve Bruce etc etc. At 45, life in this old dog yet.

JIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for being a fanboy but i feel i have to do this when this old master rears his head back here!

Congrats on the new team i will be doing something similar soon myself :)

the awareness problems are very obvious, I saw even thetruebrit discuss in one of his videos

some people refuse to see something then get angry because they think Konami has changed something in the final game but actually it was always there. it is better to be realistic but I think these issues are a bit tied to the engine and have been there since 2014, the best you can hope for before new engine/hardware is slight improvement, which can be enough when the rest of the game is at a high level.

I agree its a fundamental thing with the engine but i can be improved a lot i feel just we must make konami aware so they comprehended whats wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom