eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope Konami doesn't fuck it up with the final release build, the demo is fundamentally perfect and I truly fear that Konami will fuck up something.

This is coming from someone who has played PES 2012-2019 for the whole year (September thru August of the following year). I fully realize that those games have not been amazing, but accepting what we have out in the market for football games, PES has been fairly playable for someone like myself who enjoys Konami's vision more than EA's. This year though, the game feels really sophisticated and well developed, which is something I haven't felt since the PS2 days. Like I mentioned, there's a certain sophistication and deepness to every aspect of the game (aside from the awful refs, atmosphere and presentation).

All I can say is, I'm ready for the final game to release.

God I played so many PS4 demo games yesterday and damn it's great indeed.

By far my favourite thing is physicality and 1v1 duels. It feels a lot like PES 5 defending when it often goes down to man v man action. Admittedly it felt a bit easy at times, but I absolutely love how every engagement feels like a new episode of a match story. It's very noticeable compared to older games.

I am fine with fouls the way they are. Some games are very scrappy with tons of random fouls in the middle, other flow smoothly. I had that really fun game between Vasco and Colo-Colo, sad 0-0 where everyone gets bogged down in the rain and its constant fouls and ball going nowhere. Really gave me that feeling of some mid-season continental cup (could be Europe, could be LatAm) struggle, away, with a difficult rival, in a bad conditions, where you just push through the difficult season.

I cannot figure shooting for the life of me although its been like this since 2015. I can score yeah, but I cannot for the life of me do longshots, or even aim properly on Basic. I'm just bad with it. I try R2 manual every now and then, I know it's possible to score noice manual bangers since I got a few in PES 17 and early 18, just no clue how to be consistent with it. I am fine with PA1 I think, I might try PA0 at some point as well.

New dribbling and tricks is a mystery to me. Idk what I'm doing really, but I never truly did. This, and shooting is probably just a case of sitting down and learning.

Didn't mess with tactics at all, there seems to be so much new stuff!

Overall, very positive impressions. I don't think a lot has changed, even compared to PES 2017 (barely played 18 and didn't touch 19 at all), but it's still decent overall. I'm not looking for flawless and spectacular game, just the one good enough to keep me going in Master League for more than a year or two. In truth we will only find out what it's truly like once it comes out.

And with demo this good it's very hard to keep waiting! :D

EDIT: According to this link on Reddit, apparently Serie B is coming? https://esports.gazzetta.it/news/09...ara-in-efootball-pes-2020-53385?refresh_ce-cp

Shoutout to all Serie B Master League bois, myself included :D :D

Last edited:
Do you watch PESEP? I watched his stream and i noticed he easily adapted to the right stick because he knew you could still use R2 for instant close control but you MUST AT ALL TIMES hold it with the left stick in the direction you want to control it. This along with just using traditional left stick dribbling and Right stick for feints and close quarter control.

The issue people run into is over using right stick, also some people use 'Auto Feint 'On' and rely upon it and don't full understand how to do each feint consistently so its hard for them to get their head round.

My only complains in regards to controls is roulettes are just so inconsistent with the direction your moving into. I think step overs are fine actually but need far more responsiveness.
I watched his YouTube video on the subject. I liked how he also doesn’t like the control changes for exactly the same reasons as me, however, he states things he’s not a fan of, but doesn’t complain and just gets on with it. So fair play to him.

It’s not that I don’t know how to use it. I hold R2 all the time because I like the cool touches. Then I just keep hold of it. However, knowing how to use it doesn’t mean I like it :D I absolutely fell in love with the old system after 10 minutes, but 10 hours into the demo and I still don’t like it. Despite loving the demo, my own personal big gripe with it is no matter how much I try I just find dribbling a chore and not fun any more, from a skill moves point of view. Holding off defenders etc is a million times better, I love that side of it, just not the unintuitive controls for the bit of magic to beat a player. If they had an option to change the controls back to 2019s R2 finesse dribbling but with the new new finesse touch included, I’d take it in a heart beat.

But that’s just my own personal taste.

After playing the demo thoroughly, i not just disagree with you majorly here but i encourage you to adapt.

I've found R2 is essentially exactly the same as last year but you MUST hold the left stick everytime you trap it, the right stick is awesome along with no needed to rely on it so much like before.

I play the game in a very similar way to PES 2019, its the realism has evolved so more skill is needed. This is brilliant from Konami.

The game lacking sharpness has NOTHING to do with the controls, that's just poor responsiveness at times and passive AI. BTW when i mention responsiveness i mean bugs and the game not responding to inputs at times or responding off the all which is the biggest issue.

Are we playing the same game Klash?..response issues?..players not responding off the ball?..Passive AI?

Sounds like your playing a different PES..

For me this is the smoothest,most responsive pes we have had since the ps2..

Not having issues with teammates not reacting either.

There’s a weight to physicality,momentum and inertia..Its not a delay or response issue imo..The games as smooth as butter.

Last edited:
This is the most enjoyable football game I've played for years. I really, really, really hope they don't tinker with the core gameplay here and speed it up or some shit, they've got it spot on. I can't get enough of this demo. After years of spending way too much time tinkering with sliders on FIFA to try to make it good (it never got particularly good), maybe we've got the king back. I certainly hope so. Bring on September 12th! :)

Playing full manual with La Liga patch on PC and this game is better now. So much better. AI builds up because my teams have default tactics to be compact, wingers get back and all the lines are tight. The pace is different every match, and depends if you are playing home or away, or mid-teams / top teams. So cool!

Playing full manual with La Liga patch on PC and this game is better now. So much better. AI builds up because my teams have default tactics to be compact, wingers get back and all the lines are tight. The pace is different every match, and depends if you are playing home or away, or mid-teams / top teams. So cool!
Glad you enjoying this. Are you able to provide some video footage?
That would be sweet. :)

This year though, the game feels really sophisticated and well developed, which is something I haven't felt since the PS2 days. Like I mentioned, there's a certain sophistication and deepness to every aspect of the game (aside from the awful refs, atmosphere and presentation).

Great way to perfectly recap that unspoken feel this demo is giving to many ;)

There should be a greater gap. A more pronounced endeavor. If I may say so!

@Rodchenko you are good with that?! :LMAO:

Sorry. I just can’t stop. :D

It‘s funny, because I never lived in the UK, but the US for more than 5 years. The Brits among here can probably tell that from my excessive use of „z“ instead of „s“ in words like analyze, individualize, and criticize.

Are we playing the same game Klash?..response issues?..players not responding off the ball?..Passive AI?

Sounds like your playing a different PES..

For me this is the smoothest,most responsive pes we have had since the ps2..

Not having issues with teammates not reacting either.

There’s a weight to physicality,momentum and inertia..Its not a delay or response issue imo..The games as smooth as butter.
Are you kidding? Right? The most responsive and smoothest Pes ever? Nah. For these reasons Pes 2020 not feel like Pes for me. Its good game but its not Pes which i loved in the past. Pes 2020 remind me FIFA 08.

Are you kidding? Right? The most responsive and smoothest Pes ever? Nah. For these reasons Pes 2020 not feel like Pes for me. Its good game but its not Pes which i loved in the past. Pes 2020 remind me FIFA 08.

Has the core feel and gameplay of pes on the ps2 for me..

The depths back,the near infinite variety of angles and subtlety of control..and it’s all wrapped up in a eye watering animation and physicality system.The ball physics are a marvel.

Beautifully rhythmic and closer to the real game then anything that’s come before it for me.

Harks back to a era when games especially football games felt so enjoyable to play...and there was a learning curve.

Why do I use this as an example? Oh that’s easy. Because this one isn’t even slightly debatable :D Pogba is just too slow to the ball, the defender connects with the ball with the side of his foot, no studs showing, he’s not left the ground, doesn’t touch the man, not dangerous in any way, shape, or form. Fair, and clean tackle - Fact. If anything Pogba kicks the defender look!! :D Xhaka kicks the ball away then Pogba hits his foot!

It’s also the only one I’ve bothered to make a gif out of.
Well, I can argue he still kicked the guy's foot and got him to completely lose balance. So it can be debated ;)

I've noticed playing Legends patch that the AI plays different due to players level. Legends team CPU becomes super agressive, I've looked into its tactics and it isn't gegenpress activated. so maybe AI plays more or less conservative depending on both team stats, really nice.

But still there is the AI behaviour that makes CPU defending in a totally passive way when you're on third yard, no matters what kind of defensive style they are. It could be gamebreaking, I hope this issue it's solved in the final game.

I've noticed playing Legends patch that the AI plays different due to players level. Legends team CPU becomes super agressive, I've looked into its tactics and it isn't gegenpress activated. so maybe AI plays more or less conservative depending on both team stats, really nice.

But still there is the AI behaviour that makes CPU defending in a totally passive way when you're on third yard, no matters what kind of defensive style they are. It could be gamebreaking, I hope this issue it's solved in the final game.

I kind of like they being passive if their lines are tight and go full wall defense. But I hope they are not 100 % passive everytime.

Do you watch PESEP? I watched his stream and i noticed he easily adapted to the right stick because he knew you could still use R2 for instant close control but you MUST AT ALL TIMES hold it with the left stick in the direction you want to control it. This along with just using traditional left stick dribbling and Right stick for feints and close quarter control.

The issue people run into is over using right stick, also some people use 'Auto Feint 'On' and rely upon it and don't full understand how to do each feint consistently so its hard for them to get their head round.

My only complains in regards to controls is roulettes are just so inconsistent with the direction your moving into. I think step overs are fine actually but need far more responsiveness.

The biggest problem I've had with the new right stick finesse dribble is learning to release the left stick when using it, my brain just automatically goes...

*Dribbling... use the left stick*

:LOL:

I kind of like they being passive if their lines are tight and go full wall defense. But I hope they are not 100 % passive everytime.

The issue is that AI keep waiting until you do somthing. You can release the gamepad and AI'll stand in front of you waiting till the end of the match.

Honestly, this demo has killed my ability to enjoy any other football game. The new season has given me the desire to play something but I just can't enjoy it - all I want to do is play this demo.

Any Master League news yet? Not hopeful for improvement, but if they can at least get the transfer system on par with Fifa (which in itself is not amazing) then it's a start.

Honestly, this demo has killed my ability to enjoy any other football game. The new season has given me the desire to play something but I just can't enjoy it - all I want to do is play this demo.

Any Master League news yet? Not hopeful for improvement, but if they can at least get the transfer system on par with Fifa (which in itself is not amazing) then it's a start.

There's some info here:
https://www.konami.com/wepes/2020/as/en-sg/all/topic/master_league

In response to feedback from the community, the team have worked hard this year to implement a more realistic transfer system.

The transfer market in PES 2020 will use a brand-new algorithm built on a rich library of real world football data to ensure that transfers, transfer fees, salaries and various other elements are in close alignment with reality.

The new transfer system will be more customizable than previous years, with the ability to configure how often players transfer, how difficult negotiations will be, how often your players are payed and whether your first year will feature a pre-season transfer window.

The biggest problem I've had with the new right stick finesse dribble is learning to release the left stick when using it, my brain just automatically goes...

:LOL:

So that’s how you do it. You need to release LS and after perform RS dribbling? O.o

Thanks..lovely watching you use pa0..So much better on the eye and more realistic..You can also see how stat driven it is..Enjoyed the error from the cpu AI.

That real Betis goal your scored from the lay-of.(class).

Thank you! I really enjoyed this match yesterday (and scored a screamer from outside the box with William Carvalho that hit the bar and went down. It was gorgeous!), so that's why I replayed it and uploaded it for you guys :-). I think this year I'll stick to FuMa as I enjoy it so much now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom