eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this is just me but I always feel the pitch is a bit too long in PES (something not helped by the AI's love for spamming Deep Defensive Line with every second team!) and you could chop 6 yards from both ends of the pitch, compress the game and close those gaps... and kill Deep Defensive Line with fire. :D

For me the bigger pitch is what elevates pes above the competition..The appreciation comes with a more unassisted style of play..

Lots of pockets of space and angles to freely hit balls into space.

It’s all in the philosophy of having more freedom and being able to appreciate and use the space you have.Its a whole wacky world of creativity.

Weirdly and conversely the gaps in the other game are greater yet visually the play is much more compressed.Its more about how easy it is to exploit that space and gaps..

Unless a human user is over using the dash or dragging players out of position..It’s hard to get the ball forward quickly and just easily pass through a team..Same for the cpu..

Always about context and how it’s used.Football games and camera angles have conditioned many to think a football pitch is smaller then it looks form a wider angle that shows more of the pitch.Konami have always been the masters of scale.

Last edited:
Nope. Much better than last year, imo. No problems here too.

Only searched for manual players and always found one. Haven't tried PA1 matchmaking.

Because you played with patience! Nice!
I’d play you online on fuma, Sir!!

Yeah I know, and my point is that it should be the same with PA1. I want to be guaranteed to get paired with another pa1- person, just like with manual matchmaking. :)

Superstar,paO.
Felt like Boca had the ref in there pocket for most of the game but i had a good shout later on in the match.

Ive switched over to manual shooting since.Lovely low bobbling drive from smalling outside the box for a late goal..Not to much on the power and leaning on the stick.Timing counts.

The art of defence and knowing where to position your defence(thou shall not pass).
This is the problem with manual shooting... Chris Smalling's left foot and you can score goals like that...

Strange, I only played with manual shooting thus far and havent got any problems regarding headers, lots of power and lots of variety. Maybe not the best example seeing as in this case the attacker extends the ball, but still:

Huh, I'm playing on PA1 and I haven't seen anything like that. Maybe I'm doing something wrong - but what? - but I also haven't seen hardly any powerful headers by the CPU teams.

Yeah I know, and my point is that it should be the same with PA1. I want to be guaranteed to get paired with another pa1- person, just like with manual matchmaking. :)

Yes, it is really annoying and makes for a frustrating time trying to figure out if the guy is good at passing or just has PA3 on, makes me second guess my skills all the time :BORED:

Last edited:
Reckon i now now played over 200 offline matches and im still seeing little things that i have never seen. The game is just getting better and better the way PES pre 2008 used to do! Full release cannot come soon enough and im finding it pretty strange to be looking forward to a football title so much as it's been soooooooo long.

That was basic...Not out of the realms of possibility that a defensive player hits a clean strike off his weaker foot..He is a pro and I did hit the sweet spot.
Sorry, I misread your post - thought you'd said this one was on manual.

I know it's not a complete impossibility for a professional footballer to do something like this (like this shot from Koulibaly's left foot), but it's really not a rare occurrence in the game. When the ball pops out to anyone outside the box on a corner like this, it's always struck perfectly. Doesn't matter what player or which foot.

I want to see loads more getting horribly scuffed/sliced, blazed over or tamely rolling to the keeper. It seems everything is a 100mph rocket - even the "bad" shots are the same but just go 1m wide/over or near the keeper.

I like a lot of stuff about this game but the shooting is still worse than the PS2 games...

Last edited:
Sorry, I misread your post - thought you'd said this one was on manual.

I know it's not a complete impossibility for a professional footballer to do something like this, but it's really not a rare occurrence in the game. When the ball pops out to anyone outside the box on a corner like this, it's always struck perfectly. Doesn't matter what player or which foot.

I want to see loads more getting horribly scuffed/sliced, blazed over or tamely rolling to the keeper. It seems everything is a 100mph rocket - even the "bad" shots are the same but just go 1m wide/over or near the keeper.

I like a lot of stuff about this game bit the shooting is still worse than the PS2 games...

I’ve seen Miss-hits,scuffs,balls spoon wide,daisy cutters..If there’s energy,momentum in ball it will sore like a rocket if struck without taking a touch.Pressure on the ball carrier factors in also.I had so much time.

Try barely even raising a notch on the power bar and see how the ball tamely behaves.You can do the soft little tap ins on the deck.

Based on basic..I’ve only just switched over to manual so haven’t had long enough yet to toy with the variants and possibilities(I will keep you posted).

Manual shooting is a different animal..I don’t think it’s stat driven like paO..No passing assistance is very different then what I would consider manual passing(more akin to FIFA’s semi,pa0,in the sense it doesn’t feel to wild like fully manual).There’s no assistance on power or direction but the quality of the ball and everything is governed by stats.

I’m sure the guys that played 18/19 can give a better summary of the pros and cons of manual shooting..I skipped these two iterations and used basic in 17..I’m all for greater control of shooting but not when your whole 11 can hit perfect shots because everything is based wholly on user input.

Last edited:
Nope. Much better than last year, imo. No problems here too.

Only searched for manual players and always found one. Haven't tried PA1 matchmaking.

Because you played with patience! Nice!
I’d play you online on fuma, Sir!!
I think that the attack/def level affecting on how the AI will play. On red they can be direct and a little hectic. On neutral they are calming down and play more cautiuosly. And this thing is situational based (early game>red, score goal>neutral, etc).

I also set up my team to be more compact to fill the spaces. Its kind of effective too to set up your team like this in online game to combat ping pong spammer.

Edit: however some of the build up does not make sense like passing to the keeper over and over. And they seem to hate their midfields but love the wingers. Hope they will improve on this aspect

Last edited:
Thats what they did and thats why you cannot find Explosive Power anymore hahaha!

Attacking Prowess -> Offensive Awareness
Swerve -> Curl
Explosive Power -> Acceleration
Unwavering Balance -> Balance
Defensive Prowess -> Defensive Awareness
Goalkeeping -> GK Awarness
GK Catch -> GK Catching
Clearing -> GK Clearing
Reflexes -> GK Reflexes
Coverage -> GK Reach

Malicia -> Gamesmanship

Still awful. Why not call them what they actually are? Acceleration is NOT agility, they are two completely different things, so it is beyond stupid to have the agility stat called "acceleration". Probably even more stupid than "explosive power", amazingly.

Also "place kicking"... Who the fuck calls free kicks/set pieces "place kicking"?!

The inspire feature really is growing on me. I play Boca a lot and Pavon got the 2 star dribble inspire trait. The team mates really react to his skill when there is enough space. I like that.

One thing I really like is I have to get to know my team. Overall ratings for players are bad for the series, imo. I have that old habit of going into players details and dig deep in their stats. And i still do in 2020... and when I play a team for some time I can play it better. Even if it’s only 5 min. matches for now.

All this „next team“, playing standard tactics and rushing from game to game isn’t gonna do justice (to both games on the market btw!)!

Not saying I’m „right“! I’m just enjoying this so much right now! :D

Last edited:
The inspire feature really is growing on me. I play Boca a lot and Pavon got the 2 star dribble inspire trait. The team mates really react to his skill when there is enough space. I like that.

One thing I really like is I have to get to know my team. Overall ratings for players are cancer for the series, imo. I have that old habit of going into players details and dig deep in their stats. And i still do in 2020... and when I play a team for some time I can play it better. Even if it’s only 5 min. matches for now.

All this „next team“, playing standard tactics and rushing from game to game isn’t gonna do justice (to both games on the market btw!)!

Not saying I’m „right“! I’m just enjoying this so much right now! :D

Reading between the lines and seeing the finer detail..Nothing wrong with that pro_too..

Always enjoy your energy and posts..:BEER:

Listening to the EP04 with @Matt10 and @Chris Davies i need to say something about celebrations.
I like to do them but only because I want it to look real. Matt said he lets it play out for realness. I’m with that. Let’s see if i can get my fingers of the pad when scoring and how it will play out. :)
When I do celebrate manual ( ;) ) I want it to look real. No silly dancing when hitting the winner late (yes Matt)!

What do you think?!

Edit: please scratch that microphone scene Konami!!

Edit2: and please guys, don’t spam R1. It flows so nice when using it only when chasing balls. Close gaps, stay in position, close passing lanes, stay patient, think football!!
Just so lovely how it can unfold!
:LOVE:

Last edited:
Listening to the EP04 with @Matt10 and @Chris Davies i need to say something about celebrations.
I like to do them but only because I want it to look real. Matt said he lets it play out for realness. I’m with that. Let’s see if i can get my fingers of the pad when scoring and how it will play out. :)
When I do celebrate manual ( ;) ) I want it to look real. No silly dancing when hitting the winner late (yes Matt)!

What do you think?!

Only celebration that gives me proper satisfaction is kicking the ball back into the net again. Altho Im still not 100% sure how to do it..

This is the problem with manual shooting... Chris Smalling's left foot and you can score goals like that...

It's a recurring problem in the series, weak foot accuracy and frequency are still overpowered. Right-footed players don't make an effort to position themselves and accommodate to their right foot or viceversa (AI and human controlled).

There's a video in this thread where Agüero scores a hat-trick and all are left footed goals, I know he has a decent left foot, but it seems rather odd that in none of the plays he makes effort to position himself to favor his right foot. I would expect at least one of those goals to be right footed.

How do you do Ronaldo trade mark celebration I press the buttons but he just runs to his team make or they join him

Only celebration that gives me proper satisfaction is kicking the ball back into the net again. Altho Im still not 100% sure how to do it..
That’s one of my favorites. Just run towards the ball and kick it. Simple is that. :)
But I’m talking mostly celebrations that involve fans, players, certain poses...

Wish there was more involvement with fans like going up the fence or similar!
I like standing on the adboards! :D

Edit: everything that keeps it real. Gimme more of that! Gosh, that game!!

Last edited:

What do you think?!

I much preferred the way the old PS2 PES celebrations worked - no user control, contextual based on the match situation and with plenty of signature animations that you could assign to players in edit mode...

Still awful. Why not call them what they actually are? Acceleration is NOT agility, they are two completely different things, so it is beyond stupid to have the agility stat called "acceleration". Probably even more stupid than "explosive power", amazingly.

Also "place kicking"... Who the fuck calls free kicks/set pieces "place kicking"?!
Agility snd acceleration are two different meanings.Thats why they were seperate stats pre-2011.

Done. Favourite thing, passing/shooting error. Least favourite thing, cursor change.
Favourite - physicality
Worst bit - cursor change
;)
Edit:
Pace - perfect.

Tbh I thought there will be opportunity to provide much bigger and in-depth feedback than this. There were just few pointers..

Last edited:
From PES Universe's Twitter, so I assume this will be sent to Konami. Only takes 30 seconds to complete, you know what to do guys :)

PES2020 Demo Survey:
https://t.co/vmCplF5Pe8?amp=1

Done. I said my favorite being player weight and inertia and not to change things that player feel lighter and on ice skates, least favorite I said just making A.I. harder on higher settings but not to be scripted or us see attacking patterns like last year.

Pace I said perfect.

What did you all put?

Ok, I just started playing FUMA today, got beat 2-1 In my first game then won 1-0 in my second. I am not the best at it and shooting is amazingly difficult but quite proud of this goal! Many thanks to my opponent for a great game too, "Fuma-Kimo" if I remember correctly!

Nice skill moves when they were needed (not for show). No stress. All patient. I like that!! :APPLAUD:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom