eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
worst thing about this games is the fouls system, best thing is the ball physics. they need to improve the collision system to the same level as the ball physics.

I really can't understand the posters here praising the referees and fouling mechanics. The amount of phantom fouls I am experiencing is ridiculous. First of all, the distribution of fouls between myself and the AI is somewhere around 80/20. Additionally, the game has some sort of under the hood mechanics where if I win the ball back from the opposition defense that creates a clear goal scoring opportunity I almost always get a foul called on me even when the tackle was 100% clean. Example is in the video below.

Don't get me wrong. So far, I've had mixed, maybe slightly positive reactions to the demo. But the fouling system is definitely concerning. How the fuck is the above incident a foul in any sense?

So, new guy here. I haven't bought a soccer game since FIFA 15 which was a really poor decision of mine, although it wasn't as bad as the newer ones, haven't played since PES 2013; well, not the full game at least, I only played 2018 and 2019's lite versions. But anyways...

The demo looks good.

Pros:

- I feel that the game is encouraging the players to take their time. Rushing all the time is not a good strategy, and I like that.

- The foul system is very controversial. But, you get used to it. I'd rather get this strict referee than the referees on 2019 that's for sure.

- The faces and graphics look better. PES 2018 and 2019 looked very similar to me. 2020 looks a little bit more realistic.

- Gameplay-wise, I feel like it's more polished. Passing and shooting are more precise and the anims don't look bad either. Defending could use some improvement, but eh... it's fine overall.

- Sound effects are good. They feel more immersive. Especially, when I'm playing with South American teams like Boca or Corinthians, so thumbs up for that.

Cons:

- First of all, the home menu looks tacky IMO. The vectors of the players look horrible and low quality. And the screen feels empty and odd.

- The turf looks good on close-ups, but IDK why it still looks like painted concrete on Stadium or Live Broadcast.

I really hope they don't pull a Konami and screw everything up on the final game. I'm really excited for Master League, but if it ends up being a disappointment, I will literally sell the game. I'll wait for the full game for more pros and cons, but overall I like where this is going.

Game is copping an absolute beating on Twitter! I really can't see this gameplay staying the same for release unfortunately.
This is my fear. I said the day before the demo hit officially when a few of us were playing the NZ version that the masses & 'pro's' won't like it so get ready for a shit storm on social media. I'm seeing some of it myself with the usual cries of "it's slow, unresponsive, defending is crap etc....

Lot's people writing it off before even trying to relearn stuff. Some of the funnier things I've see were that the game has 'terrible ball physics'....! & some idiot even posted a video of himself deleting the demo after ranting it's the worst football game ever made :SHAKE:

Game is copping an absolute beating on Twitter! I really can't see this gameplay staying the same for release unfortunately.

What do people write? Let me guess, that you can't perfect every pass from every angle all the time on PA1...?

Anyway, got to play about 5 matches last night and I was quite pleased. Being a manual player for the most part I do as I always do when the demo hits nowadays, try PA1 out.

It's still a tad bit to assisted for my liking but the fact I went unbeaten by trying to play calm and somewhat realistic against people wanting to play like they do on PES2019 (ping- ponging that is) was a bit satisfying. I'm sure this will change for final release though, even if PA1 isn't THAT assisted it's gonna be too much for the masses who just want to score easy goals without looking at the screen (the wanna play PES AND watch their phone at the same time...;))).

What I liked most personally was that the game actually made me feel a bit like the good old days where you used L2- passing as a creative tool. That was especially nice with players like Nenê or Pjanic, felt really nice on the ball.

What do people write? Let me guess, that you can't perfect every pass from every angle all the time on PA1...?

Anyway, got to play about 5 matches last night and I was quite pleased. Being a manual player for the most part I do as I always do when the demo hits nowadays, try PA1 out.

It's still a tad bit to assisted for my liking but the fact I went unbeaten by trying to play calm and somewhat realistic against people wanting to play like they do on PES2019 (ping- ponging that is) was a bit satisfying. I'm sure this will change for final release though, even if PA1 isn't THAT assisted it's gonna be too much for the masses who just want to score easy goals without looking at the screen (the wanna play PES AND watch their phone at the same time...;))).

What I liked most personally was that the game actually made me feel a bit like the good old days where you used L2- passing as a creative tool. That was especially nice with players like Nenê or Pjanic, felt really nice on the ball.
Usual crap mate. Too many fouls, too slow, not responsive enough etc

This is my fear. I said the day before the demo hit officially when a few of us were playing the NZ version that the masses & 'pro's' won't like it so get ready for a shit storm on social media. I'm seeing some of it myself with the usual cries of "it's slow, unresponsive, defending is crap etc....

Lot's people writing it off before even trying to relearn stuff. Some of the funnier things I've see were that the game has 'terrible ball physics'....! & some ***** even posted a video of himself deleting the demo after ranting it's the worst football game ever made :SHAKE:
The people that would be struggling the most with this demo are those PES League players we see playing on PA3 winning hundreds and thousands of Euros every year. The PES League Finals were unwatchable for me. I tried watching the FIFA eleague also (it gets televised in Australia on pay TV) and that was even worse. Feedback from these guys could kill the experience for us.

Last edited:
The people that are would be struggling the most with this demos are those PES League players we see playing on PA3 winning hundreds and thousands of Euros every year. The PES League Finals were unwatchable for me. I tried watching the FIFA eleague also (it gets televised in Australia on pay TV) and that was even worse. Feedback from these guys could kill the experience for us.

Feck those guys, I have no idea who they are but are there some of them who has slated it already?

What people think so bad about the foul system ? not enough foul ?

I think it is quite good.
I think the foul system is pretty good. There was a bit of a learning curve there initially but now I find myself giving away less fouls. It's nowhere near as strict as the PS2 games though. There's an issue where the referee is awarding free kicks for good clean tackles though. It's not bothering me much atm.

What I think would be awesome is when these "soft" fouls occur, have some new animations showing players reacting to the referee. There's a couple already but not enough. This would give a more realistic feel to it all. We know how vocal and aggressive real footballers act towards referees when they pay a foul that the player thinks was a good tackle

@yair25 try to relearn defending. Changed completely in 2020! Its truly an art and idea from the ps2 days.
yeah i may need to relearn how to play th
I think the foul system is pretty good. There was a bit of a learning curve there initially but now I find myself giving away less fouls. It's nowhere near as strict as the PS2 games though. There's an issue where the referee is awarding free kicks for good clean tackles though. It's not bothering me much atm.

What I think would be awesome is when these "soft" fouls occur, have some new animations showing players reacting to the referee. There's a couple already but not enough. This would give a more realistic feel to it all. We know how vocal and aggressive real footballers act towards referees when they pay a foul that the player thinks was a good tackle

this is my problem.

worst thing about this games is the fouls system, best thing is the ball physics. they need to improve the collision system to the same level as the ball physics.
Agree, even just a slight touch the ref give it a foul and i was like :SHAKE:

Just reading everyone’s comments on the fouls should be enough to tell anyone the getting fouls 100% correct is IMPOSSIBLE. If people can’t even agree on what a foul is in real life how do you expect them to implement them perfectly in a game!?

Just let go of sprint when you tackle and you’ll cut out 90% of fouls, it isn’t hard.

Downloaded.
Started a match on Superstar difficulty.
After defending a corner, released Monreal on the left wing mid-way inside my own half.
Ran the complete length of the byline as I watched 2 AI defenders constantly back off and 1 of them run away from me to create space.
I turned into space and unleashed a 20 yard arrow into the top corner.
Felt nothing. Actually angry that it looked nothing like real football.
Uninstalled.
Went back to FIFA 16.

I hope you mean the Fifa 16 demo, which was decent, because the actual game is appalling :D

Are we complaining about the fouls more because the advantage rule isnt working properly? It would be nowhere near as annoying if the ref would play the advantage and you continue playing, but the play is stopped way too much

Playing Corianthians vs Vasco da gama, with 20 min match slider. About 30 minutes into the match weather changed and it started raining!

I saw that in a game too - Xbox One, standard match time with the demo. Could have been my tired eyes but it also seemed to change from overcast to sunny (not so much in pitch lighting, but overall brightness around the stadium).

One thing I thought was interesting in a loading screen (or menu??) is that the game suggests using the pitch conditions to your advantage when you're the home team in an online match. e.g. pick longer grass if you want to slow the game down or short grass if you want a zippier passing game. Not sure if it allows you to pick day/night and weather conditions though.

Just reading everyone’s comments on the fouls should be enough to tell anyone the getting fouls 100% correct is IMPOSSIBLE. If people can’t even agree on what a foul is in real life how do you expect them to implement them perfectly in a game!?

Just let go of sprint when you tackle and you’ll cut out 90% of fouls, it isn’t hard.

The ref may give fouls a little too much for perfectly good tackles but it happens in real life very often, you don't get every decision correct and go your way, it doesn't bother me right now. Plus, way prefer this system then any previous PES on PS4 where can just press and run through back of players.

Reactions: OBH
Are we complaining about the fouls more because the advantage rule isnt working properly? It would be nowhere near as annoying if the ref would play the advantage and you continue playing, but the play is stopped way too much

I thought I fouled the AI last night but the game played on. Upon watching the replay, the referee clearly puts both arms up to call advantage. Might depend on where you are on the pitch or if a teammate immediately takes the ball.

So guys how to do intentional foul. What do you press exactly?
i have seen those a couple of times. i usually double press the tackle button. the rest then is contextual. i like the new animations that come with that system. all instances i did those fouls were perfect, life-like, the real deal. so far i ould say its nicely implemented. but hey, i like the refs in the demo as well (more on that later)! :D
Impressions after about 20 matches (on pc, 10 minutes games)
They have improved almost everything from previous years

- camera: finally!! the new one you can finally tweak it to play with a real wide angle gameplay (when tweaked it is similar to fifa's coop camera)
- Graphics better and game running better on pc
- Animations much improved, smoother and some added, generally more realistic; also GK's animations are better (last years really sucked). Also you can telle the difference between players
- Cpuai: tactics are not that great yet, but better than last year and a little less predictable. What is MUCH improved are single cpu players finally dribbling and shooting from outside the box
- Dribbling management for user is much improved and you feel you can control them better; yet not easy as fifa fortunately, good balance
- Physics MUCH improved for ball moving, ball handling, shooting, passing, air movements, players' physics great: you can feel the difference between big and heavy guys and small and agile players
- Responsiveness is almost perfect: not super reactive neither too slow. Also pace is great even at 0; (I like it even better at -1)
- Shooting is better: now you have more satisfaction when you score. Also manual shooting have more control. Advanced shooting still the same, maybe much better handling but still unintuitive commands.
- Fouls calls are sometimes annoying but still better than the horrible system of last year
- I personally dont' find cpu so passive: In fact I would like it to remain this way: no scripting and no boosting
- Midfield improved, thicker, still sometimes too open but much better than the crap of 2018 and 2019. Also I haven't yet seen the cpu using the all defense tactic everytime they score and even when they use it (the one with the blue tag) don't run everybody immediately in their midfiled, they keep pressuring, at least the player who has possession of the ball
- better protection of the ball, making a better paced game
- randomness: finally we have some, also mistakes, misplaced passes and trapping
- Crosses: they are better, more logic, even with no passing assists
- Balancing difficulty: after trying lots of combinations I found a sweet spot with 1 bar assist passing and playing at superstar.
I hope they do NOT make the cpu more rampant in the final game, especially in competition, using scripts and boosts.
It's ok like this: sometimes when your players are low form it's mroe diffcult, sometimes easier; cpu doesn't build up that much and make not great possession, but still it's decent, definetely better than making it more aggressive using hideous scripting

What is annoying still:

- cpuai tactics should be more differentiated; playing small teams vs big teams you don't see that much difference in cpu behaviour
- shooting: i was disappointed not to see the x+y low ground shoot restored as it was in 2015 (I still wonder why they removed it). I wonder why in 2020 you cannot choose to shoot a low ground shot. You can do it only with advanced shooting, which, unfortunately, as the same crappy counter intuitive system
- cpuai defense still too perfect in their own area: never a mistake, never a foul; header high balls 95% of the times in defenders head. Still no penalties in 20 games, very few free kicks from just outside the box
- Difficulty balance: I found a balance for now, but they maybe should put more levels: maybe letting you choose also attack and defence level of cpu
- headers: still sloppy sometimes
- Atmosphere: slightly better, but those fan flags and banners are still horrid, chants suck
- On pc still have little white border playing with custom resolution (don't know how to get rid of it)
glad you mention this. i had 2 very nice and very low hard shots from around 20-25 meter away from goal. man those looked awesome. those were real daisy cutters!!
i do play manual maybe thats why i can trigger those shots whenever i like.
when i saw those shots the first time in the 2020 demo i was pleasently suprised!! :) there is more variety and scoring, right now, feels much better than last year, imo!

back to yesterdays night. played a friend at home first time in the demo. we had so much fun. but 2019 was fun as well when playing a mate at home. 2020 was even more fun for us.
i hope the AI gets a little bit more aggressive when the final version hit stores to enjoy offline singleplayer in ML! the AI does not feel like 2019 AI felt to me. its a step up, imo!

edit: i guess its about time for me to give my demo impressions! played every day since monday... for hours... even if its "rematch" every 5-10 minutes! ^^
im planning on giving my feedback by the end of the week (if im not busy playing that is :) ).

Last edited:
The ref may give fouls a little too much for perfectly good tackles but it happens in real life very often, you don't get every decision correct and go your way, it doesn't bother me right now.
Much prefer it as is than playing FIFA 19 where guys just sprint into you and take the ball without even pressing a tackle button or smash you off the ball and it's play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom