eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hype level for demo is 6.5 myself.

Would probably be a 7 if I could reasonably anticipate that the quality of the demo will represent, roughly, the quality of the final product. But the online quality alone always seems better at this stage (since the 2018 beta onwards), and I know many here complain about the fundamentals being changed by release.

Konami/Adam Bhatti/Robbye Ron are saying the reason it's out so early before release is for fans to feed back to the team for a proper gameplay patch on Day 1. That's intriguing.

Thing is, what's the feeding back mechanism? How are responses weighted, purely by number? Etc. As always, these things tend to be obscure. I'd like to know what their overriding philosophy is, e.g. "don't feed back stuff about x,y,z because it's not a priority right now". But they're never that explicit.

Suppose they get 60 people saying the passing on PA1 is too difficult and 40 saying it's too assisted – what then?

Hype level for demo is 6.5 myself.

Would probably be a 7 if I could reasonably anticipate that the quality of the demo will represent, roughly, the quality of the final product. But the online quality alone always seems better at this stage (since the 2018 beta onwards), and I know many here complain about the fundamentals being changed by release.

Konami/Adam Bhatti/Robbye Ron are saying the reason it's out so early before release is for fans to feed back to the team for a proper gameplay patch on Day 1. That's intriguing.

Thing is, what's the feeding back mechanism? How are responses weighted, purely by number? Etc. As always, these things tend to be obscure. I'd like to know what their overriding philosophy is, e.g. "don't feed back stuff about x,y,z because it's not a priority right now". But they're never that explicit.

Suppose they get 60 people saying the passing on PA1 is too difficult and 40 saying it's too assisted – what then?
Add a pass level of 0.5

Off topic.
Makes me happy every time I see a Lurker coming out of the bushes. There is a lot of people, who could add so much into discussion out there. Glad to see each of them.
Guys in here are not nearly as scary as they seem. Most of them anyway.. :LOL:

4:35 - Look at the strength that pass had, and how effortlessly Batistuta simply taps it and the ball drops dead at that very spot. Unrealistic. Painfully unrealistic.

4:48 - What. The. Hell. Was. That.

And I'm not even trying to spot errors or oddities. They simply come out of the screen screaming "HEY! LOOK AT ME! I'VE BEEN HERE FOR 6 YEARS AND I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!!"

Curdstar "AKA" Alan Curdie having an argument with Asim (amongst others) on twitter about effing scoreboards & official league presentation packages being not being relevant in today's market.
It's literally impossible to reason with him without him getting aggressive isn't it!?
Sorry for the off topic.

Having had a look at the exchange in question I'm struggling to see any aggression from either party. In fact, I can see nothing but merits in both views being offered in that discussion. Lots of crossed wires more than anything. Nobody categorically right or wrong.

EDIT: actually, it seems like it is Asim who was offering more in the way of insult and was picked up on. Seems others were saying the parties concerned should have a podcast together.
He makes some very valid points of which I agree with. It's more his 'tone' in some of the replies which is very condescending & reminiscent of his time on here. Anyway, let's not drag up old news, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place but I've had a few drinks . Apologies to all.

I also enjoy a dirty little lurk on the forums through the years, with the occasional popping out here and there.

The demo anticipation is probably at a 3 for me, I want to be more excited, like in the old days but it’s just not happening. Think it’s a mixture of reasons, none of which are with the video clips in mind.

The last Pro Evo I enjoyed (loved actually) was PES13. 14 may have been good but I was turned off by it running like arse on the PS3. Since then I’ve legit hated the direction the game has gone, and I’ve really tried the last few weeks to like the latest offering but I can’t manage 10 minutes without wanting to rip the cheeks from my face.

So I’m at a 3, most of that is because of the edit mode being available to play around with. Gameplay wise it’s never like the actual release anyway.

(I had to delete a whole chunk of this, there was a 4 paragraph rant about missing features and gameplay but I figured you’ve heard it all before)

Curdstar "AKA" Alan Curdie having an argument with Asim (amongst others) on twitter about effing scoreboards & official league presentation packages being not being relevant in today's market.
It's literally impossible to reason with him without him getting aggressive isn't it!?
Sorry for the off topic.
He’s definitely got anger issues. I don’t know anyone who blindly sticks up for a video game like that. Plus isn’t he like 40 or something? Strange behaviour.

I haven’t got an issue with people being fans of a series as long as they can calmly debate without getting personal or angry. I poured 100s of hours into PES when I was younger like many here did and I would always debate with the FIFA fanboys of the 00s. There was no comparison back then though, PES was the football game to play. It was sublime and I get that nostalgic feeling in my stomach when I think back to getting home from work or uni and playing it.

PES 20 looks more boring the more footage I find. I haven’t seen a goal that I would personally enjoy scoring, it’s all so damn flat.

I wonder what the game would be like now if Seabass was still in charge of development?

While looking forward to demo and hopefully final game I think the big positive regards news is a returning thing: 2nd divisions for Spain and Italy.

Italian 2nd division the big one as the games stadium offerings match up with the Italian league pretty well. All things going well elsewhere would be proper chuffed if a licensed Serie B were to make the cut. Could just get down to business in ML pretty swiftly if that were the case. Good editors out there for Serie B too.
I'm really pleased there's now a fully licensed second division to use from Brazil. This is huge for master league as I've always found the south American stadiums more pleasing on the eye in-game and their stadiums were always locked from being added to a general European ML.
A baffling decision IMO with never an explanation as to why. Fancy having a limited amount of stadiums and then locking the editing options for assigning in ML .......peak Konami weirdness.

I'll rate my demo anticipation at 5... in honour of the likely 5 min match length us irrelevant offline elitist scum will have to make do with.

Bit off to suggest anger issues unless you know him personally, no?

Always found him fine when speaking on podcasts in the older WENB days and in the one he did with the contextual lad last year. Written words not a great grounding for forming a solid take on anyone in my experience, especially if it is based on discussions about something as largely inconsequential as videogames that yet see a demand for places like this to exist. We are all strange when you think about it, and that strangeness comes in different flavours.
You’re right I don’t know him. Apologies.

I can't look at PES and have a serious face. The amount of free space on the field is as disturbing as ever. I guess eFootball is now the thing... well Next Year ™️.
eFootball Next-Year 3-Year-Cycle 2021

Sorry for the off topic.
Fairly level-headed argument from him there. Not calling anyone a 'wankstain' has got to be an improvement on his past form.

Looking at that vid, I don't see the massive issue with 4:35 if it is found at 4:35. In other words, if it proves exception and not rule. Gameplay time will tell.

4:48 is glitchy, but been the way of it for both franchises since physicality has been implemented in the way it has over the last few years in both games. Neither has aced this and there is part of me that wishes they would simply stop focusing on it as it seems something that only a future hardware generation is going to get it to an acceptable level for all, certainly regards how they are looking to integrate it into play. Not saying don't have physicality in the meantime, but just streamline things a little more.

When I think about it, the best football games I have played (or the ones that proved the least infuriating/most cosistent bang for buck over their life-cycle) never really sweated over physicality too much. It's not like physicality has changed dramatically over the years in the real sport compared to other aspects of it. The obsession might explain why free-kicks are more of a rarity in these games nowadays; too much emphasis on physical battles playing out.

A strange obsession developers have with these games at the moment. Seems even more pointless when you consider the trend in the actual sport is to hit the deck to win a free-kick if it all gets a bit too physical. These games have it portrayed that it is all honest men physically dueling fairly.

Well, at the end of my tweet I said this, look:

And I'm not even trying to spot errors or oddities. They simply come out of the screen screaming "HEY! LOOK AT ME! I'VE BEEN HERE FOR 6 YEARS AND I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!!"

So, I pointed those two out here precisely because I've seen both happening on a multitude of times in every single version of PES for the past 6 years.

Unfortunately this video took all of 1 minute to completely disqualify itself.

Saying every PES since 2016 has improved significantly is one of the worst statements that one can make concerning PES.

The way the guy goes about commenting the game also feels like watching a video sponsored by Konami.

Awful content.
He never used the word ''significantly''.He said that he thinks that from 16 and after,every year it's the best Pes yet.This doesn't mean that it's a complete overhaul from the previous version or that it has ''improved significaly'',but it's still better IN GENERAL than the previous in terms of gameplay and they add new things.Animations and ball behaviour most of all which at least for me is important since it's the thing you see and feel for the most time when playing.

People have different opinions you know.And it doesn't mean that yours or mine is the undoubtable global truth.
I also think that from 15 and after the game improves every year if you consider ALL the factors of the gameplay like fluidity,pace,animations,realism,weight,feel on the ball,physicality etc and other important ones for visual joy like player models,faces and graphics in general,and not only isolate one thing like AI or menus.

So because he's passionate and really liked what he played and gives his opinion on it,it's awful content and his opinion is trash?Lol,ok..

I liked what i saw and he showed some beautiful situations and animations and some interesting realistic player reactions.

Last edited:
My point is 5 min matches is simply inadequate to tell how much effort has been put into the ai. The pes devs could be hiding ai flaws by limiting exhibition match length.
Even if the match is 5 min you can always restart the match as it's about to end in the 90th minute and play for 3 hours the same match if you want.That's what i did in the past when there wasn't another way.If the AI is bad it'll get noticed eventually.Also if you are on pc you can set it for as many minutes you want with tools.
The reason why it's limited it's because they just want to tease you so you'll get the full game after to enjoy ''all it's benefits''.Fifa does that too with the short matches in the demo and they don't even let you to play on slow but only on normal speed.
Although if it's true that we'll get so many stadiums in the demo with the combination of so many teams,then maybe this time they'll allow longer matches also.I'm on pc so i'll get to play longer anyway.:BOP:

I also think that from 15 and after the game improves every year if you consider ALL the factors of the gameplay like fluidity,pace,animations,realism,weight,feel on the ball,physicality etc and other important ones for visual joy like player models,faces and graphics in general,and not only isolate one thing like AI
I see your angle, yet I cant really agree with this, at least from offline player perspective.
AI in football game is a heart of the game. Its the most crucial element, decisive whether game will be a joy, or a nightmare.
Its not A got better, B got worse type of trade.

Yall probably are getting bored with my Pes17 references, but I have to here..

Pes17 Vs Pes19, what was better where:
- ball physics - 19
- passing - 19
- graphics - 19
- animations - 19
- fluidity - 19
- pace - 19
- on the ball feeling - 19
- AI - 17
Which one I (and a lot of people) prefer offline? 17.
You cant put AI in the same basket as all the other things that you mentioned.
If AI is shite - game is shite. End of.

my hype for the demo is zero, i can guarantee you when the fullgame is released all the pesuniverse guys that play tested in E3 will say the exact same thing all the others have said for the past 5 yrs saying E3 version felt so loose, there was more individuality, first touch error was more pronounced etc, and i also believe the feedback they will get from the casual gamers which obviously theres alot more than people that want sim will be saying first touch is broken not responsive enough, so thats why my hype is zero.

Last edited:
Konami officially announced yesterday - as the blog had already anticipated - the exclusive license for the B series on PES 2020, the company's new soccer game to be released on September 10th.

Again, the company did not disclose the contract numbers with the 20 clubs, including Londrina. What we know behind the scenes is that teams get a value - not too big - to be part of the game. In series B, of course, the values are lower when compared to teams in series A.

Now the hot information here from the blog. As player image contracts are made separately, the blog found that shark players agreed to assign the images at "zero cost" without contractual gain. The source reported that the athletes were "happy and eager to see each other in the game, as it is a game that fills the time on concentration days." Therefore, all shark players will be available in the game.

http://todowebrasil.blogspot.com/2019/07/pes-2020-jogadores-do-londrina-nao.html

I see your angle, yet I cant really agree with this, at least from offline player perspective.
AI in football game is a heart of the game. Its the most crucial element, decisive whether game will be a joy, or a nightmare.
Its not A got better, B got worse type of trade.

Yall probably are getting bored with my Pes17 references, but I have to here..

Pes17 Vs Pes19, what was better where:
- ball physics - 19
- passing - 19
- graphics - 19
- animations - 19
- fluidity - 19
- pace - 19
- on the ball feeling - 19
- AI - 17
Which one I (and a lot of people) prefer offline? 17.
You cant put AI in the same basket as all the other things that you mentioned.
If AI is shite - game is shite. End of.
you forgot fouls, pes 17 had heaps

As someone who still plays both FIFA and PES a lot of the criticism of the game on here has me lost for words. Yes PES has its flaws but in comparison to Fifa (its only serious competitor) there is simply NO CONTEST between the two games. Konami are miles ahead in almost every department especially gameplay wise ( excluding online of course).

It seems as though most here are beginning to (& honestly have been doing so for a while) take for granted just how good a football game PES is and that (whether they want to admit it or not) PES 2020 looks like an improvement on 19.
The gameplay on Fifa 19 (the supposed golden standard of football games according to most) is just no where close to PES in any way especially in regards to simple things like passing and the player/ball physics. And the game as a whole pales in comparison to PES in most departments.
Despite the many areas that need improvement in PES, we all shouldn’t take for granted having a game that players like us who actually care about gameplay (and who want to see a realistic football sim) can actually enjoy. I’m personally very excited for the demo & I can’t wait to see for myself in what ways the game has improved. For those feeling unenthusiastic, try playing a game of Fifa and imagine if that was the only good football game out there. I remember when PES almost looked dead & buried especially around PES 14 when they basically had to start from scratch because of the Fox engine. & to see the progress the game has made since then to now, actually having the pull to get licenses like Bayern in the current market and have a club like Juve completely unlicensed in Fifa (and still remain #1 in the gameplay department) is exciting and bodes well for the future.

Last edited:
As someone who still plays both FIFA and PES a lot of the criticism of the game on here has me lost for words. Yes PES has its flaws but in comparison to Fifa (its only serious competitor) there is simply NO CONTEST between the two games. Konami are miles ahead in almost every department especially gameplay wise ( excluding online of course).

It seems as though most here are beginning to (& honestly have been doing so for a while) take for granted just how good a football game PES is and that (whether they want to admit it or not) PES 2020 looks like an improvement on 19.
The gameplay on Fifa 19 (the supposed golden standard of football games according to most) is just no where close to PES in any way especially in regards to simple things like passing and the player/ball physics. And the game as a whole pales in comparison to PES in most departments.
Despite the many areas that need improvement in PES, we all shouldn’t take for granted having a game that players like us who actually care about gameplay (and who want to see a realistic football sim) can actually enjoy. I’m personally very excited for the demo & I can’t wait to see for myself in what ways the game has improved. For those feeling unenthusiastic, try playing a game of Fifa and imagine if that was the only good football game out there. I remember when PES almost looked dead & buried especially around PES 14 when they basically had to start from scratch because of the Fox engine. & to see the progress the game has made since then to now, actually having the pull to get licenses like Bayern in the current market and have a club like Juve completely unlicensed in Fifa (and still remain #1 in the gameplay department) is exciting and bodes well for the future.
I appreciate your passion, but it's nowhere near what you're describing imo. AI is simplistic and brain dead. Being the better of both games doesn't mean it's a good game. PES is mediocre imo. I'd give it a 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom