eFootball (All Platforms)

Every year, Konami has the opportunity to improve the gameplay, mainly due to the UE5 engine,(but UE4 is not bad), so you can easily surpass them, but yes, this is Konami...
They don't even utilize UE4's strengths to any capacity, why would a switch to UE5 change anything? They just transitioned most of their FOX Engine assets to Unreal, they're not using Unreal's technology for anything really. Their AI, their animation database, their physics is all FOX Engine stuff that was ported to Unreal.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/features

This is all the stuff that UE offers devs to work with. Hell, do they even use MassEntity for crowds? Last I checked we had some PS2 looking cardboard cutouts for crowds.

They don't even utilize UE4's strengths to any capacity, why would a switch to UE5 change anything? They just transitioned most of their FOX Engine assets to Unreal, they're not using Unreal's technology for anything really. Their AI, their animation database, their physics is all FOX Engine stuff that was ported to Unreal.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/features

This is all the stuff that UE offers devs to work with. Hell, do they even use MassEntity for crowds? Last I checked we had some PS2 looking cardboard cutouts for crowds.
they should use https://atoms.toolchefs.com/

Last edited:
I actually think eFootball's gameplay is the most polished it's ever been since its release. I always thought the game had potential since launch from a strictly gameplay front but it had some of those PES 2014 niggles where it's unstable as heck but the ideas were good.

The worst I can say about it now is the ball physics are nowhere near as exciting and sophisticated as PES 2021 but you know what, in some ways, I'd accept that trade-off for more responsive players and generally a better control layout.

I think visually the game is great too, it's just such a shame the whole package is so barebones still, 2 years on.
I just fired eFootball up after many, many months and I have to say I agree with this. The gameplay feels like it’s come quite a way from where it was. From my little time with it, I would say overall the positioning/spacing/behaviour/variety is much better than pes 2021. The retreating is gone and it forces you to think a lot more when playing the ball through midfield. The CPU also plays much more football, there’s no 2 passes and long ball. I find the pressing to be much improved too and quite intelligent.

These are obviously early impressions, but I like to just put a game on and see how much it forces me to think and play football. This has done that, so that’s a big positive.

I haven’t followed the progress for a while, but is there any talk about when we’ll at least get some more features unlocked? Why are they still locked?? So confused.

Last edited:
I just fired eFootball up after many, many months and I have to say I agree with this. The gameplay feels like it’s come quite a way from where it was. From my little time with it, I would say overall the positioning/spacing/behaviour/variety is much better than pes 2021. The retreating is gone and it forces you to think a lot more when playing the ball through midfield. The CPU also plays much more football, there’s no 2 passes and long ball. I find the pressing to be much improved too and quite intelligent.

These are obviously early impressions, but I like to just put a game on and see how much it forces me to think and play football. This has done that, so that’s a big positive.

I haven’t followed the progress for a while, but is there any talk about when we’ll at least get some more features unlocked? Why are they still locked?? So confused.

I agree with you.

Since November of launch, I think I've played about 10 hours. I hadnt touched it at all since the very beginning of the world cup last November.

I tried it a week.ago and was surprised at how impressive certain aspects were....essentially everything you mentioned above.

I'd also mention the graphics on ps4 pro. In the majority of stadiums, summer evening looks really.very good. Pitch colours are very good at times, and even the kit colours for fake teams are good. The crowd is still abysmal.

It looks and feels like football, and there seems to be player ID at work too, definitely in movement and kicking actions, possibly in stats, but hard to say with such limited ball physics.

If is all they did between now and the apocalypse was to implement proper ball physics, it would be a relatively impressive free demo.

There are still clearly a raft of issues, in both gameplay and wider options. The catch up bug is egregious, the lack of tactical options intolerable. The lack of options full stop is incomprehensible two years later, unless of course you place yourself in konami's shoes: maximum profit, minimum expense.

Now I'm not saying this is an exceptional game of football, far from it and although I can see things to admire, I can happily go days without touching it. But...there are some really essential things that konami have got right here, that have never been this right in any football game. When you play, it looks and feels like a proper football match, without any need to touch sliders (not a dig in any way at fifa slider legends).

There are clearly some highly and even usually talented developers/programmers in that konami dungeon. They have replicated the positional movements of real football surprisingly well, given the lack of budget.

It's a shame those achievements are lost in what is a pretty empty game, without any real advancement in player or ball movement or any real moment to moment detail on the pitch.

I have a suggestion about youth players in ML
-there should be normal players as usual and there should be created players
-for the created players informations you can surf all the players in database and maybe hardcoded some names too so the name will be taken randomly from there
-age is between 15-19 as a start random too
-stats/height/weight depends on position if created players take long time to appear in ML after known ones there is a better reason that they can be perfect so you can use the typical position stats with some randomize for each same position
-you can make it less but more freedom if you can sometimes randomly take stat of any retired player and reduce it depends on that age

like this you will have the best youth system ever in ML and you can go deeper by fixing how manager team contracts is working too

I agree with you.

Since November of launch, I think I've played about 10 hours. I hadnt touched it at all since the very beginning of the world cup last November.

I tried it a week.ago and was surprised at how impressive certain aspects were....essentially everything you mentioned above.

I'd also mention the graphics on ps4 pro. In the majority of stadiums, summer evening looks really.very good. Pitch colours are very good at times, and even the kit colours for fake teams are good. The crowd is still abysmal.

It looks and feels like football, and there seems to be player ID at work too, definitely in movement and kicking actions, possibly in stats, but hard to say with such limited ball physics.

If is all they did between now and the apocalypse was to implement proper ball physics, it would be a relatively impressive free demo.

There are still clearly a raft of issues, in both gameplay and wider options. The catch up bug is egregious, the lack of tactical options intolerable. The lack of options full stop is incomprehensible two years later, unless of course you place yourself in konami's shoes: maximum profit, minimum expense.

Now I'm not saying this is an exceptional game of football, far from it and although I can see things to admire, I can happily go days without touching it. But...there are some really essential things that konami have got right here, that have never been this right in any football game. When you play, it looks and feels like a proper football match, without any need to touch sliders (not a dig in any way at fifa slider legends).

There are clearly some highly and even usually talented developers/programmers in that konami dungeon. They have replicated the positional movements of real football surprisingly well, given the lack of budget.

It's a shame those achievements are lost in what is a pretty empty game, without any real advancement in player or ball movement or any real moment to moment detail on the pitch.
All these good aspects were there day one in eFootball. I could dare to say some updates even worsened some gameplay aspects.

The issue in the beginning was that many just refused to objectively assess it and just decided to hate it. A lot of negative attitude about eFootball is from players who didn't even try it.

About eFootball vs PES21, eFootball AI can run circles around the primitive repetitive PES 21 AI, but a lot people like to judge a soccer game by how the scoreboard looks

All these good aspects were there day one in eFootball. I could dare to say some updates even worsened some gameplay aspects.

The issue in the beginning was that many just refused to objectively assess it and just decided to hate it. A lot of negative attitude about eFootball is from players who didn't even try it.

About eFootball vs PES21, eFootball AI can run circles around the primitive repetitive PES 21 AI, but a lot people like to judge a soccer game by how the scoreboard looks

Why are eFootball fans judging the game by how the scoreboard looks then, why? I don't get it ?

See what I did there with Your, divisive post.

Are You unable to sell the sizzle of efootball on its own merits without running an abandomware game down to do so ?

Its like stepping on a turd to say You are 25mm taller.

I've 630h playtime in eFootball, mostly against a friend full manual passing and shooting.

after a couple of games in DreamTeam League with assisted passing, I know why I don't like it... maybe its the worst football game ever:

- Menu ugly and and bad as a game from 2001
- passing on rails
- Trough balls total broken
- superhuman keepers (with 5 different Animations)
- Variety of shoots? HIGH and LOW!
- positioning did not exist
- "magic PES moments" - total gone
- the game is predictable and boring AF !
- online Input and player switching - just a Joke !
- graphics are a joke for "nexGen" (some player faces looks nice)
- Goalnet shape and physics from 2009
- Who invented "automatic attacking" was an absolute idiot!
- Atmosphere is not existing

I've never seen a game that makes so little progress in terms of development. one step forward two steps backward...

Maybe in every aspect of a "nexgen" football Game, efootball is a total disaster. dont have any hope for 2024!

FIFA is Bullshit too!

I've 630h playtime in eFootball, mostly against a friend full manual passing and shooting.

after a couple of games in DreamTeam League with assisted passing, I know why I don't like it... maybe its the worst football game ever:

- Menu ugly and and bad as a game from 2001
- passing on rails
- Trough balls total broken
- superhuman keepers (with 5 different Animations)
- Variety of shoots? HIGH and LOW!
- positioning did not exist
- "magic PES moments" - total gone
- the game is predictable and boring AF !
- online Input and player switching - just a Joke !
- graphics are a joke for "nexGen" (some player faces looks nice)
- Goalnet shape and physics from 2009
- Who invented "automatic attacking" was an absolute idiot!
- Atmosphere is not existing

I've never seen a game that makes so little progress in terms of development. one step forward two steps backward...

Maybe in every aspect of a "nexgen" football Game, efootball is a total disaster. dont have any hope for 2024!

FIFA is Bullshit too!
this was past versions it is getting better specially for passes and broken means what ? all the time works or it fails ? and about graphics priority is for the gameplay and already there is lot of gameplay improvements

Well they weren’t all there since day 1. The retreating was terrible the first time I played it. There were some good elements sure, I never said I hadn’t acknowledged that, but in my opinion the gameplay has been refined quite a bit since.

this was past versions it is getting better specially for passes and broken means what ? all the time works or it fails ? and about graphics priority is for the gameplay and already there is lot of gameplay improvements

You can't play how you want because the passes are are not played like I've had in my had. The automatic broke it. Look and through balls, since the early days the receiver just run away, doesn't matter where the ball is played or will be incepted.

Than the Problem, that the player dont react for a second after loosing the ball in a pass.

These are problems since day one...

Than is the game based on cards and players you musst buy but there is absolutely no statistics about that players... Games played, goals scored, passes, fouls... Whatever 🤷🏼‍♂️

This game make some fun playing manual against friend's but dream team league against people's who don't want to play football is just boring because the game is so predictable and boring... And you get the same reward's again and again... 🥱

You can't play how you want because the passes are are not played like I've had in my had. The automatic broke it. Look and through balls, since the early days the receiver just run away, doesn't matter where the ball is played or will be incepted.

Than the Problem, that the player dont react for a second after loosing the ball in a pass.

These are problems since day one...

Than is the game based on cards and players you musst buy but there is absolutely no statistics about that players... Games played, goals scored, passes, fouls... Whatever 🤷🏼‍♂️

This game make some fun playing manual against friend's but dream team league against people's who don't want to play football is just boring because the game is so predictable and boring... And you get the same reward's again and again... 🥱
- Most of what you told is related to the online input don't forget that the game react to what the player want too but have nothing on it too
- Idk about the stats but maybe we will find in ML at the end of the day Dream Team can't be ML online it is so fast in everything but i'm sure they will add more things
- Yeah, you are right about how people deal with the game and if it is taste there is other mods but i think online is perfect and have quality players more in console the PC it is big problem.

You can't play how you want because the passes are are not played like I've had in my had.
I assume you mean the passes are not played in like you imagine they will be in your head and if so I absolutely agree.

Any football game where you can't do basic things like choosing where you want to pass the ball to is an automatic 'get in the bin' for me. Add in the input lag and now you can't choose when you pass the ball either. Let's not even talk about the type of pass which is also decided by the same algorithm as we have so few modifiers in this mobile game.

As far as I'm aware we still can't send team mates on trigger runs or tell them to come short for a pass after 2 years of development.

People saying the gameplay is in a good place now, I can't believe you're still falling for this old trick, it's the old PES 20 demo bait and switch that they have been doing for years. Let me know how the gameplay is in October as I guarantee all the problems people complain about will magically come back and the player base will be back to complaining about it like old drunks in the bar.

The truth is that Konami don't just have automated gameplay but an automated player base too that they can guide down the same yellow brick road every year without them even noticing, it's kind of funny when you think about it.

and graphics don't matter, gameplay first - yeah of course but after so long time you can't even play daytime matches against friends, you can't even select the time. What we are talking about? PES 2021 right now is sooo far ahead efootball.

Coop is a joke, because there is no matchmaking for the coop, just open a room and that's it...

i wish could be more positive, but if I look back on the last 2 years, I think i cant, there is no straight line from Konami. Just Cards and GPs... :RANT:

its free game you can't play it at the end me too i took long time not playing the game until there is serious progress

ok I've played a game online dream team league...

man this game is really bad, on PA2 (standard) there are so many bad passes by the algorithm :BRICK:

real talk! What have Konami done ? We had a solid base with PES 2021... Now they try to fix that efootball mess for 2 years and they said it was developed for another 3 years ???

in fact, they try to "fix" most of the game with 13-year-old assets under the blanket of Unreal Engine 4.2 ? this cant be the right way for a clean future. they don't use modern unreal technics!

there are so many gameplay problems (catch-up is so bad in this game, since day 1)

Where are the new "features" we had in the past? if all they do is "fixing" what we have then I think we get in trouble. because even that fixing did not work right now, playing against friends is not good and the lack of content is no secret.

what should the people do? play match after match in League for GPs ? oder they do the boring "events" against the stupidest KI I've ever seen?

i miss the times we got something like this (PES 2014)
pes2014330(1).jpg

I've played video games since the early 90s and we had always good and bad years but what happened with "efootball" since the "beta of a new football game" is an absolute shame!

Did not know what happened in Konami HQ after that "PES2022" Messi Trailer, but whatever it was, it was a big fail. I can see they can't handle Unreal Engine and they did not develop the game, they fix it but this is far away from something we think we get 2 years ago...

The only improvement efootball had to pes 21 was the dribbling everything else is meh I tried playing the game recently and there wadn't any weight to the players or the ball like in the old pes games. There's a good game in there but as long as it caters to online players it will just become a fifa clone.

Back
Top Bottom