eFootball (All Platforms)

Actually a few months back, I was a reading a twitter thread about the simplification of club emblems over the years. The point the OP was trying to make was that, because clubs were now treating themselves more as brands, they've opted for more minimalist logos as they are more easily recognizable. Why? Because for brands that are more easily recognizable it is easier to associate them with different aspects in our lives. Ultimately the goal is to generate as much money as possible right? Well it's a lot easier when a brand is quite literally ingrained into the minds of your consumers. And it isn't just the logos that are being simplified. They've streamlined every aspect of their businesses in order to cut cost and, as a result, boost profit.

In a sense, it feels like Konami is trying the same thing with eFootball. eFootball has a simplistic logo (that 'e' that looks like a giant euro). As is the gameplay experience they have delivered (one mode real mode without many alternatives). It's also easily accessible (F2P title constant giving away player cards) so it's easy to get into and hit the ground running.

So there you have it. Simple logo, simple gameplay experience, that's easily accessible. It's honestly a marketing executive's wet dream.

Honestly sales and marketing people have entirely too much power and, while I think it's had a negative impact on our lives in general, I think it has especially negatively impacted the gaming industry (it's impacted Hollywood too but they can keep making movies for their new Chinese overlords I don't care). Video games are supposed to engage you as you are literally actually interacting with them. To syphon the gameplay experience down to something more akin to a process than an interactive experience, is to take away that experience entirely.

That's what happened with eFootball; it's been streamlined into a revenue generator in the same way that Diablo Immortal was/is. In the same way myCareer is in NBA 2K. In the same way much of mobile gaming has been and will continue to be. This is what gaming has evolved into because the people at the helms are no longer the ones who put the experience first.
And there's no active resistance to this. I wonder where is the line, and I don't believe there is one.

And don't even get me started on gaming Influencers, journalists, and their roles in this mess. Many of them have become mouthpieces for these publishers. In order for these marketing schemes to work, you would have to sell it to the public, and many of them have through using streamers, YouTubers, and gaming journos.

In return, they get exclusive access, demos, freebies and other perks that comes with it. It's a win-win for them while we as consumers, gamers, etc lose.

And there's no active resistance to this. I wonder where is the line, and I don't believe there is one.

And don't even get me started on gaming Influencers, journalists, and their roles in this mess. Many of them have become mouthpieces for these publishers. In order for these marketing schemes to work, you would have to sell it to the public, and many of them have through using streamers, YouTubers, and gaming journos.

In return, they get exclusive access, demos, freebies and other perks that comes with it. It's a win-win for them while we as consumers, gamers, etc lose.

Even when there is resistance, it can only last for so long. And they know that. You look at the outrage certain brands have faced in various industries and the way things play out; typically they give some blanket apology, or give none at all, and wait for the outrage to subside. Gaming has plenty examples of this. Just looking at sports gaming, I can think of the outrage after the NBA 2K introduced the park (a mode that essentially gave you the privilege of watching other people play the game instead of getting to play yourself). They ignored the outrage and now it's a staple of their marquee mode. Currently Madden is dealing with an absolute worst case scenario; an issue with their servers corrupted the franchise mode saves of a majority of players. Saves that are now lost completely. And you know what? Madden will be fine. Because people have convinced themselves that they cannot live without the yearly purchase of that game; the brand has ingrained itself into their minds and lives.

This sounds incredibly pessimistic but, it feels like it's almost too late to fight back against a system that has been absolutely perfected in regards to marketing and distribution of goods. The numbers needed to cause real impactful changes are just so unlikely to come together cohesively. Sales and marketing executives have this down to a science and every year there are more and more new consumers for them to exploit. And the thing that sucks the most for them, these new young consumers, is that this world is all they will ever know.

Marketing is an amazingly effective tool. Content creators, journalists etc. all play a role in modern marketing strategy. It's no surprise that so many of them only speak positively because frankly you're not going to bite the hand that is feeding you no matter what you true feelings may be.

wu-tang.gif

This sounds incredibly pessimistic but, it feels like it's almost too late to fight back against a system
The saddest part is - we are fighting back doing exactly what they want - buying/downloading and playing their games.
We might be voicing our concerns and criticism, but at the end of the day what matters do them are numbers.
And the truth is - vast majority of biggest critics in here have bought every single edition since football games started going downhill. There is literally zero impact on them.

I see certain people here, constantly posting a screenshot/clip of a match and giving out how shitty the game is. And Im baffled, coz they are still playing it, torturing themselves for some bizarre reason. And all Konami sees is people playing it. Mission accomplished.

Same with Fifa. There's a mutual agreement among biggest critics and those who are still having fun that Fifa went downhill since F16. Almost all of Evo agrees on that. And yet every year we all buy it. Even those who pay and then go straight back to F16 and other pass iterations.
Now what difference does it make whether you bought a game and played for a day, or played for an entire year? From EA perspective - none. You already gave your money to support them and as an offline player - you wouldnt give them any more throughout the year.
So mission accomplished.

We might not like it, but we are a big part of the system that we hate so much.

So if there is a guy who can change things, who can have a meeting at Konami/EA and present a different approach, new idea on how to attract more players - what data does he have to back this up?
Sales are only going up, finances are only going up. There is no impact, coz every one of us keep supporting them year after year after year.

And please dont give me this "It wouldnt make any difference, coz offline players are insignificant and only a tiny number of active players".
I have been on Fifa forum last few years and Career Mode section was top heavy when it comes to posts.
Same with eFootball. Vast majority here are offline players and yet almost everyone still plays this game without any offline content, giving them exactly what they want.

Probably another year where Konami will pay for licenses and then make them not available in their game
The most annoying thing ever is their exclusive time limit on using certain teams and leagues e.g national teams, Mexican league etc

Probably another year where Konami will pay for licenses and then make them not available in their game
The most annoying thing ever is their exclusive time limit on using certain teams and leagues e.g national teams, Mexican league etc
Since its a full online game they can decide what leagues and modes are avaliable and how much time, imagine they release some offline content but just avaliable for 3 months in their "new season" as "exclusive league" during that period of time crap

Since its a full online game they can decide what leagues and modes are avaliable and how much time, imagine they release some offline content but just avaliable for 3 months in their "new season" as "exclusive league" during that period of time crap
Lets hope offline content doesn’t have time limit? Imagine them offering us league mode with licensed Ligue 1 for example for 2 months
Insane sad times for football games and that considering which is possible with technology these days

Lets hope offline content doesn’t have time limit? Imagine them offering us league mode with licensed Ligue 1 for example for 2 months
Insane sad times for football games and that considering which is possible with technology these days
lets hope... I have heard that sentence many times before and result was always the same

Honestly it's complete crap, and the worst thing is, Konami are quite happy with the current situation, because of one reason: for the first time they have full control of the game content, not even PC users can overrule it with any meaningful mod (yet).

Honestly it's complete crap, and the worst thing is, Konami are quite happy with the current situation, because of one reason: for the first time they have full control of the game content, not even PC users can overrule it with any meaningful mod (yet).
since its all online they can manage what is offered and when taking out of the game whenever they want

Even when there is resistance, it can only last for so long. And they know that. You look at the outrage certain brands have faced in various industries and the way things play out; typically they give some blanket apology, or give none at all, and wait for the outrage to subside. Gaming has plenty examples of this. Just looking at sports gaming, I can think of the outrage after the NBA 2K introduced the park (a mode that essentially gave you the privilege of watching other people play the game instead of getting to play yourself). They ignored the outrage and now it's a staple of their marquee mode. Currently Madden is dealing with an absolute worst case scenario; an issue with their servers corrupted the franchise mode saves of a majority of players. Saves that are now lost completely. And you know what? Madden will be fine. Because people have convinced themselves that they cannot live without the yearly purchase of that game; the brand has ingrained itself into their minds and lives.

This sounds incredibly pessimistic but, it feels like it's almost too late to fight back against a system that has been absolutely perfected in regards to marketing and distribution of goods. The numbers needed to cause real impactful changes are just so unlikely to come together cohesively. Sales and marketing executives have this down to a science and every year there are more and more new consumers for them to exploit. And the thing that sucks the most for them, these new young consumers, is that this world is all they will ever know.

Marketing is an amazingly effective tool. Content creators, journalists etc. all play a role in modern marketing strategy. It's no surprise that so many of them only speak positively because frankly you're not going to bite the hand that is feeding you no matter what you true feelings may be.
Everything you said here is on point. Madden is one of the most egregious examples you mentioned. Whether it's the corrupt save files in franchise mode or buildings spawning in the middle of the fucking field during play lol. It's crazy how every year shit like this continues to happen and gamers are like "yeah, buildings are spawning in the middle of the field, but man I gotta get the newest edition of MUT packs bro".

Last edited:
Actually a few months back, I was a reading a twitter thread about the simplification of club emblems over the years. The point the OP was trying to make was that, because clubs were now treating themselves more as brands, they've opted for more minimalist logos as they are more easily recognizable. Why? Because for brands that are more easily recognizable it is easier to associate them with different aspects in our lives. Ultimately the goal is to generate as much money as possible right? Well it's a lot easier when a brand is quite literally ingrained into the minds of your consumers. And it isn't just the logos that are being simplified. They've streamlined every aspect of their businesses in order to cut cost and, as a result, boost profit.

In a sense, it feels like Konami is trying the same thing with eFootball. eFootball has a simplistic logo (that 'e' that looks like a giant euro). As is the gameplay experience they have delivered (one mode real mode without many alternatives). It's also easily accessible (F2P title constant giving away player cards) so it's easy to get into and hit the ground running.

So there you have it. Simple logo, simple gameplay experience, that's easily accessible. It's honestly a marketing executive's wet dream.

Honestly sales and marketing people have entirely too much power and, while I think it's had a negative impact on our lives in general, I think it has especially negatively impacted the gaming industry (it's impacted Hollywood too but they can keep making movies for their new Chinese overlords I don't care). Video games are supposed to engage you as you are literally actually interacting with them. To syphon the gameplay experience down to something more akin to a process than an interactive experience, is to take away that experience entirely.

That's what happened with eFootball; it's been streamlined into a revenue generator in the same way that Diablo Immortal was/is. In the same way myCareer is in NBA 2K. In the same way much of mobile gaming has been and will continue to be. This is what gaming has evolved into because the people at the helms are no longer the ones who put the experience first.
And don’t forget the psychologists they’re now employing to exploit playing styles, addictive behaviour patterns etc etc to inform the type of online content they release

Amazing post. Thank you for that.

The thing is - people like us dont play Fortnite, or Call of Duty, or Fifa, or eFootball..
People like us play slower, more tactical games that require using our brains, not just quick fingers.
Thats why I met most of my older friends on Dayz and Hell Let Loose.
If a company released football game thats closer to a real match, where you have to play chess with AI - it would be a huge success.
Its criminal that both EA and Konami cant see it.

Even if all the popular streamers rage quit and say "this is shite, this is too realistic" - they would be quickly replaced by new ones, who love this sort of football grind. The stories that they could provide on youtube - their unique football journeys, their grind. It would be much more popular than what we have now - same boring clips of people having teams full of legends.

Same with e-sport. If they started organising Full Manual competitions, that really require skill and brain - it would be much more popular than Pass Assisst level 10 ping pong fiesta. Hell - I would watch Full Manual Tournament.
Real life football doesn't require any brain, though. It's all about athleticism and executing patterns of play that have been rehearsed in training, or as you would call it, "quick fingers".

What you're asking for would literally not be a simulation of football. Just look at real football players and managers, they're mostly dumb as a rock.

Real life football doesn't require any brain, though. It's all about athleticism and executing patterns of play that have been rehearsed in training, or as you would call it, "quick fingers".

What you're asking for would literally not be a simulation of football. Just look at real football players and managers, they're mostly dumb as a rock.
13207377128fd71cd6cf7d4b43f27c91b83672698e0c1ab5df16c71d2f60cde4.jpg

Lol, timing of this comment

Last edited:

This is out of topic but I agree on how real life football is.
Because football is an industry since 1980s (roughly), from that time money and negative playing style have been ruling all: do whatever to win the game and earn as much as money you can regardless the way you earn it...
Therefore, there is no point to improve your intelligence, no need to be an intellectual, and no need to care about ethics and politics.
Mostly there is no place anymore for figures like Cruijff, Socrates, Menotti etc.

I see certain people here, constantly posting a screenshot/clip of a match and giving out how shitty the game is. And Im baffled, coz they are still playing it, torturing themselves for some bizarre reason. And all Konami sees is people playing it. Mission accomplished.
Thank God for the classics.

Also made a screenshot (generally I did it for another thread), but I like to suffer playing more than ever, to share how I was transformed in a full sado-masochist after the great release of eFootball. Good job Konami, now I can't stop playing... I want more & more !!! ⬇️

Classic PES daddy, spank me harder with your big patches... give me deeper... oh f**k yeah, please don't stop !!!

PES Collection.jpg

Many thanks to the EvoWeb staff & editing forum :WORSHIP: because I have the great opportunity to experience this awesome ride !!! 🙏❤️ R.I.P. Konami

And don’t forget the psychologists they’re now employing to exploit playing styles, addictive behaviour patterns etc etc to inform the type of online content they release
I always find this interesting because I don't thinkt here is as much truth to it nowadays then maybe a couple of years ago. while I am sure there is some Gaming companies that hire psychologists, I don't think in 2022/23 that is necessary. I think certain mechanics have now become so much common knowledge in Game Design principles and if you look at courses, Game Design websites and more I think, that now certain techniques are being taught from the ground up.

I am sure that most Game Designers can describe you what a Skinner Box is or what Flow in Games is. As far as I know many Game Design Courses now also have Free2Play or monetisation as topics, so I don't think that nowadays the whole: the Industry hires psychogists, is necessary true anymore.

Just because psychology basically became part of the curriculum and knowledge of game makers itself.

It's funny to bully meta players with standard players. All you need against the meta players like Mbappe, Cryuff, Rummenigge, Neymar, Messi, etc, is some really fast Standard Players you can buy for 17,000 GP.

It's the highest rating I've hit so far with 2001 points and all thanks to a bunch of standard players:

z6wu8xvq2faa1.png

And explanation:

I think it's great that this is working. You can find the weakness/strength of your opponents and build a squad that perfectly counters it with standard players.

I had a guy in Div 4 though who played with Dzeko and Giroud and he scored 2 easy headers against my squad because they are only good against fast dribblers.

It's possible to be a good player, I'm not sure what is the case here, BUT if you buy coins regularly, Konami will help you to keep in engage, even if you play with monkeys.

Back
Top Bottom