eFootball (All Platforms)

Ugh. The game plays like bloody ping-pong now. Even worse than before. Such a ridiculous move by Konami.

If we wanted Fifa:esque gameplay we would... buy FIFA and get all the licenses and presentation and stuff.

Konami should carve out their own niche (realism) instead of trying to copy Fifa's concept.

I hope they reverse this bullshit.

Thats how it always felt with Konami.
Last couple of years every second patch seemed to be reversing back to previous one. I dont know if they have some bigger picture, or plan, but it just looks so random at times..
And stuff that people enjoy the most is being removed, which is so frustrating..

I very much disagree with this bit tho.
Pes21 had the best ball physics I have seen in any football game. And its not part of the animations. I have high, deflected, spinning balls that can bounce back onto the pitch while going out of play, shots have some fantastic curves that can wrong foot goalkeepers, all high balls have a nice velocity to them and better players can apply some amazing curves. Pes21 ball physics was head and shoulders above any other football game and its a huge shame that its all gone now.
And just to give you an example:

Goal that AI had scored against me today

That shot was in pes 2008. And it honestly doesn't look like calculated physics to me. Its looks like animated physics ie they actually create animations/programmed ways in which the ball will behave, but they're not physics as such. And It just looks so canned and premeditated. It's what Japanese developers use to do on ps3 games.

If there were genuine physics at play, then the ball on short passes wouldnt travel in a dead-straight line without any curve at all. Often in les 20 and 21 the spin doesnt even match the way the ball is struck.

And I've seen a ball bounce and then spin back on itself on efootball. And there's no way there are real physics at play in that game. Efootball has the same lack of physics and pes 20 and pes 21 to me, and I loved pes 20 vanilla. And enjoy efootball.

You can literally predict the flight, trajectory and spin of virtually every pass and shot on pes 20 and 21 and indeed the ones before that, and efootball too.

If there are genuinely calculated physics at play in any of these games, they are insanely limited.

(Please dont think I'm being negative, argumentative or in any way aiming to question your enjoyment of pes 21. It's a good game, and it has real detail to its gameplay. But the lack of, as I see it, any kind of meaningful ball physics, together with the on rails feeling, has left me cold on pes for pretty much a decade. It's why I played fifa 20 for a good few months. The ball physics were eccentric, but genuinely varied and clearly being calculated).

That shot was in pes 2008. And it honestly doesn't look like calculated physics to me. Its looks like animated physics ie they actually create animations/programmed ways in which the ball will behave, but they're not physics as such. And It just looks so canned and premeditated. It's what Japanese developers use to do on ps3 games.

If there were genuine physics at play, then the ball on short passes wouldnt travel in a dead-straight line without any curve at all. Often in les 20 and 21 the spin doesnt even match the way the ball is struck.

And I've seen a ball bounce and then spin back on itself on efootball. And there's no way there are real physics at play in that game. Efootball has the same lack of physics and pes 20 and pes 21 to me, and I loved pes 20 vanilla. And enjoy efootball.

You can literally predict the flight, trajectory and spin of virtually every pass and shot on pes 20 and 21 and indeed the ones before that, and efootball too.

If there are genuinely calculated physics at play in any of these games, they are insanely limited.

(Please dont think I'm being negative, argumentative or in any way aiming to question your enjoyment of pes 21. It's a good game, and it has real detail to its gameplay. But the lack of, as I see it, any kind of meaningful ball physics, together with the on rails feeling, has left me cold on pes for pretty much a decade. It's why I played fifa 20 for a good few months. The ball physics were eccentric, but genuinely varied and clearly being calculated).
I'm with you - I think the physics is animated, not calculated in real-time. They've done a decent job in making it appear like it's the best "physics" in any football game - the way the ball moves a lot of the time is very convincing. But it's also obviously very contrived (to fit in with the contrived gameplay) and many of the "random" deflections are clearly scripted, likewise the ball spins. There are actually a very limited number of outcomes in any given situation.

But god knows what they've done to it in eFootball - it's much closer to FIFA's crap floaty ball physics that dogged that game for years.

Please dont think I'm being negative, argumentative or in any way aiming to question your enjoyment of pes 21
Not at all. And Im not gonna argue either.
Truth is I dont know whats going on under the surface. They might have me fooled and it might all be animations.
But if thats the case - to me they did the best job out of them all in this department.
It feels natural, realistic and smooth.

And I definetely wouldnt put Pes21 physics on the same shelf as eFootball. Ball here is stiff, unnatural, floaty and feels like a huge simplification in order to improve poor player awareness from previous Pes games.
Everything in eFootball seems like simplification. Only defending was fun, rewarding and somewhat felt like a step up.
But thats apparently nerfed now as well..

As for Fifa20 - it might have some great spells of randomness, when it comes to ball physics, but when I hit a post 10 times in one match - true calculated ball physics is starting to feel a bit iffy..

Not at all. And Im not gonna argue either.
Truth is I dont know whats going on under the surface. They might have me fooled and it might all be animations.
But if thats the case - to me they did the best job out of them all in this department.
It feels natural, realistic and smooth.

And I definetely wouldnt put Pes21 physics on the same shelf as eFootball. Ball here is stiff, unnatural, floaty and feels like a huge simplification in order to improve poor player awareness from previous Pes games.
Everything in eFootball seems like simplification. Only defending was fun, rewarding and somewhat felt like a step up.
But thats apparently nerfed now as well..

As for Fifa20 - it might have some great spells of randomness, when it comes to ball physics, but when I hit a post 10 times in one match - true calculated ball physics is starting to feel a bit iffy..

Yeah, totally agree on all counts. Also with your previous post quoting a friend, that efootball ball physics have to be simplied for it all to hang together.

Re pes 21 ball physics...its just what I've always deduced from how it plays. It doesnt really matter ultimately and if you enjoy it, that's fantastic for you. Its just such a shame we even have to have this conversation at all!

I'm with you - I think the physics is animated, not calculated in real-time. They've done a decent job in making it appear like it's the best "physics" in any football game - the way the ball moves a lot of the time is very convincing. But it's also obviously very contrived (to fit in with the contrived gameplay) and many of the "random" deflections are clearly scripted, likewise the ball spins. There are actually a very limited number of outcomes in any given situation.

But god knows what they've done to it in eFootball - it's much closer to FIFA's crap floaty ball physics that dogged that game for years.

This is my experience exactly. There are just way too few outcomes. If they could quadruple the number of outcomes, I wouldnt care if they were animated or not. It's the lack of variety that makes me feel dead inside!!

Played new patch on pc. PC much better graphics than ps4 pro.

More vibrant, dynamic now. New pA3 power is good on the whole. Teammate Ai better again.

But it feels like some subtlety has gone from prev patch. In movement and progressing up the pitch.
And we're back to bowling ball physics.

Steps forward. Steps back.

(Anyone know how to get out of windowed mode on steam? Stupidly chose wrong option on first load...)

Sigh.... Today I downloaded the game. The last time I played Efootball 23 was back in August when they released the August patch. I spent less than 2 days playing with this game before I uninstalled it.
Today, I played the trial match (shudders).
I won the match.
Then, I quit the game afterwards. I went back to playing Wasteland 3 because that game has something what you call CONTENT. In other words, shit that keeps you busy playing for hours and hours.

I don't really have any strong opinions about the gameplay because it's not the worse thing about Efootball right now. They've made some improvements. It's still serviceable as it was a few months ago. People can go into detail about certain aspects of the gameplay that are still problematic (those issues are still on-going), but so far, it feels ok for a demo. Not extraordinary by any means. Today, I saw people saying it's the best gameplay since 0.9 (lol wut). How is 0.9 the benchmark for best gameplay lol?

I will wait until tomorrow when maintenance is over to see what's new with this so called "BIG" update...

EDIT: Oh, and this game still has some performance issues. In-game cutscenes still look janky. All the pre-match stuff looks better though. Players coming out of the tunnel after halftime look alright, but there's still some frame drops in-between those scenes. Replays look like shit. And would it kill the devs to add some fucking shadows to the character models on the pitch? Some of shit I've seen looks like it came out of the PS2. Add some shadows!

Last edited:
I played 4-5 matches on PS5.
It's different, but not worse. Different direction.
Everything is faster, snappier. I miss the realism of v9.0 but at least now it has some fun, as a video game.
All the features that made ef2022 a football sim, are mostly gone, so If they make it a good fast paced football GAME, I am ok with it.
You just change the approach and how you play it.

I played 4-5 matches on PS5.
It's different, but not worse. Different direction.
Everything is faster, snappier. I miss the realism of v9.0 but at least now it has some fun, as a video game.
All the features that made ef2022 a football sim, are mostly gone, so If they make it a good fast paced football GAME, I am ok with it.
You just change the approach and how you play it.

This is about what I think.

I think part of the realism you speak of was bad programming, but I agree, in defending and dribbling, there were previously genuine mental calculations to be made that havent existed in games since about pes 5, then fifa 08/09. Game was also far freer. You could bully forwards with Chiellini, passes were way freer. It is pretty much back on rails now, more or less

But is it more fun. More intense. More varied. I doubt konami will ever find the middle ground between now and version 0.9 either, which is a shame. I wonder why they bother sometimes..

I will end up playing "Tiny Football" from MicroProse Software. It has more offline content for SP in early access than eFoot.
So the "another 2years waiting for eFootball to be finished" are not feeling so long then.

/edit: servers are back on (steam)

Last edited:
Can anyone please help me...

Apologies if this is a daft question. I haven't pc gamed since half life 2...

I downloaded efootball on my pc yesterday, and accidentally chose windowed mode. I was playing on the 55inch TV downstairs so it was tolerable having such a small image.
The frame rate was silky smooth.

Since I've switched to full screen or full screen windowed, I'm getting real frame rate issues. Turning on game mode on Samsung tv helped, but it's still stuttering. I followed some instructions to turn off full screen optimization, which felt counter intuitive.

But I'm at a bit of a loss now. I'm also sure that the graphics are more washed out now too, which I can live with. But the frame rate is headache inducing.

Can anyone help? I assumed fullscreen would make for a better frame rate than windowed...apparently not.

Can anyone please help me...

Apologies if this is a daft question. I haven't pc gamed since half life 2...

I downloaded efootball on my pc yesterday, and accidentally chose windowed mode. I was playing on the 55inch TV downstairs so it was tolerable having such a small image.
The frame rate was silky smooth.

Since I've switched to full screen or full screen windowed, I'm getting real frame rate issues. Turning on game mode on Samsung tv helped, but it's still stuttering. I followed some instructions to turn off full screen optimization, which felt counter intuitive.

But I'm at a bit of a loss now. I'm also sure that the graphics are more washed out now too, which I can live with. But the frame rate is headache inducing.

Can anyone help? I assumed fullscreen would make for a better frame rate than windowed...apparently not.
You can try this:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/E...ution_is_locked_to_720p_.28FullScreen_Mode.29

But the first thing you always should write: Which GPU do you have and in which Resolution you play?

Thanks for the reply.

I have an nvidia rtx 2070. The resolution for the windowed option was 1080p. For the windowed-full and full screen, it greyed out as an option but remained at 1080p.
Its greyed out on Full Screen because its using the Native Monitor/TV Resolution.
What Resolution has your TV?

The RTX 2070 is way to slow for eFootball in 4K.
First make sure you do this:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/E...ution_is_locked_to_720p_.28FullScreen_Mode.29

Then go into the ingame Graphics Settings and set the Resolution Scale on 60% or 70% to get a good Framerate.
You can try some Settings until you are happy with your Frames.
View attachment 188112

That's fantastic, thanks. Hugely appreciated!!

So when it was windowed, the resolution was 1080p. I assume thats why the frame rate was fine then.

Last edited:
The RTX 2070 is way to slow for eFootball in 4K.
First make sure you do this:

Then go into the ingame Graphics Settings and set the Resolution Scale on 60% or 70% to get a good Framerate.
You can try some Settings until you are happy with your Frames.
View attachment 188112
I'm sorry I have a gtx 1060 6gb could you tell me everything I should do to optimize the video resolution? thank you bye

Great, thank you.

Can I ask, where specifically do you add this? Is this after clicking on Steam and then options?
  • Open your Steam Library.
  • Right click the game's title and select. Properties. .
  • On the. General. tab you'll find. Launch Options. section.
  • Enter -d3d12

• Open your Steam Library.
  • Right click the game's title and select. Properties. .
  • On the. General. tab you'll find. Launch Options. section.
  • Enter -d3d12

Got you. I've been using that box for windowed etc.

Thank you, really appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom