eFootball (All Platforms)

Remember that for people like us, playing on manual, sometimes you pass the ball into space, which makes the auto switching system confused as fuck.
Right stick switching gave us a fighting chance in creating fluid attacks.
Without it, even with improved auto switching, I cant see this mechanism being able to handle more complex situations.
Well, that's what I'm saying – according to the previewers, it's back in the game, and modified slightly (after being absent from NFGOPT). So that's a very good thing. Hopefully the changes aren't buggy, and we experience fewer target locking errors overall.
This is why we introduced a game-like element called "matchup. As long as you hold down this button (X button + left stick), the game will automatically pressure you when an opponent with the ball is nearby, or block your passes or shots.
This is what I tried to communicate before now – people keep saying the changes make things "more manual", but in my experience with NFG, "match up" was quite an automated function: you could just hold down X and your player would automatically jockey and follow the ball-carrier, ready to intercept without effort on your part. The other command, "physical defending", was a barging function – which, sure, you had to get the timing and positioning right with, but you had to get the old X press right in the same way too.
Kimura: To tell you the truth, we originally planned to release the game in time for the creative team. However, the quality of the matches, including local matches and online battles, has reached a level that we can deliver ahead of schedule, so we decided to release the game ahead of schedule so that people can play it as soon as possible. We hope to gradually add new modes and specifications in the future.
Fuck me. What a load of cack. Corporate speak for: we wanted to release the game in September, but Creative Team wasn't ready, so we're rolling that out later.

No Fifa Talk or comparison please. I already see some post that Chris mentioned to be considered as insult.
I don't snitch and didn't notified him, but please, guys. A bit of respect.
Also when i see some post as i plan to play in the future (not at launch) the game before throwing tomatoes on it for a REAL reason > gameplay, i felt sometimes indirectly insulted.

Like i'm dumb to believe in the game future or whatever. We all know they release an unfinished game. And we all agreed than F2P isn't an issue / about the game quality overall > the problem is elsewhere.
Now micro-transactions are, but it's a F2P game, and there's Micro-transactions on not F2P games and DLC, costumes and all those shits. So...
What's worse? I don't know. Will depends on DLC prices. But to me paid a full game + paid Micro-transactions is +- similar : you buy all DLC even the one you don't want + Micro-transactions in fact, with some recoil i would like FIFA 22 with only Division, Exhibition, League and Career mode. The rest to the trash.

F2P is an issue for "i can't come back to the older version / except one thing no one mentioned here : if they release Efootball 2023 and you can keep the 2022 version.
It's not a dream but a marketing stuff : it's just for the sake of "giving the illusion of something new (3 months without changing 2022 version and updating 2023 > you got a new one)"
+ "you can't use your old players from 2022 on 2023 version" So... Not impossible to got a future version and keep the old. Perhaps the first 2 years... But so, why they called it "Efootball" then "Efootball 2022"? I saw it as something re-branded just by adding 2022. Probably that idea came to their mind in my opinion...

Last edited:
Is it taking a lot of time to adjust the balance?

Kimura: To tell you the truth, we originally planned to release the game in time for the creative team. However, the quality of the matches, including local matches and online battles, has reached a level that we can deliver ahead of schedule, so we decided to release the game ahead of schedule so that people can play it as soon as possible. We hope to gradually add new modes and specifications in the future.

Source: https://www.famitsu.com/news/amp/202109/24234530.php?

YOUR'E NOT EVEN RELEASING ALL GAMEPLAY FEATURES FROM THE START!! GAAAHH!!

Awesome, right? Hope you liked it mate. And look, we build it from scratch, things will get better, we just need the time, you know. I mean, imagine what we can do with the UE5 and now that we can just keep updating this thing, slowly moving towards football heaven? Wouldn't that be great? We are at the beginning, the absolute beginning. This amazing journey is ahead of us and we want you to be part of it too. Because, you know, we appreciate your opinion and your feedback and we are now able to make faster iterations based on suggestions from fans and passionate followers like yourself. Its going to be a bumpy ride, for sure, but its important we get that momentum going, especially now with this huge new step. We want as much people to believe in the product as possible so we can invest and iterate on a massive, massive scale, you know.

Anyway, the build you played. To be completely honest, its not that different from the build we submitted to Sony to be released on the 30th. Some people might be disappointed, for sure, cant please everyone right? They might not understand the direction we are taking, but, you know, in the end its the best thing for the franchise. Its the future and you cant stay in the past or else you will be history, you get it?

So yeah, this time right now is the tricky part. Its absolutely vital for the brand that we keep people onboard, that players understand whats coming for them down the line. There will always be negativity and that's OK, i mean, that's normal, but what we don't want is that negative energy to be in the way of the future. We want as much people as possible to get on board with our vision, to see what we see. Thus, we want to keep the negativity to a minimum, to increase our chances for a bright future, you understand, right? I mean isnt that what we all want for PES, ..err, i mean, eFootball.. haha.. still happens to me all the time. Anyway, we believe this is ultimately the best choice and it will turn our for the better. The future is bright, mate, so very bright.

I mean, honestly, whats the point in just being negative? It will not help anyone, in the end. At the same time, we understand things are not looking at its best right now. But just look at Barcelona, they lost Messi and its tough, really tough. But in the end its a billion dollar club and next year, they get some new signings, some talent breaking trough, and they will be back on top, in perfect shape. Now, some fans will be booing in the stands, but its the people that keep on believing in the vision, just doing the work, those that stick with the dream, they will get rewarded in the end, right?

So, your channel, we really like it. Its always very objective and constructive. Very honest and knowledgeable, exactly the kind of channels we like to support, by, you know, sending copies, early builds, invitations to events like these. We value these relationships. Haha.. yeah that almost sounds like i am trying to suck up to you mate, but don't worry, i am just telling it like it is. Channels like yours, viewers trust them. If we say something people will be like 'yeah whatever just another fancy term their marketing department has pooped out'. But you, if you tell them its shit or not they know they can trust it. That's so important. Trust is everything nowadays. Consumers can be so critical, follow you every step you make. All these opinions... people loose their heads sometimes, you know?

I am babbling on again, sorry. What i am saying is, we want to support you. Now and in the future. But we also understand it is essential you keep that independence from us so you can be completely objective and bring us the real feedback. Because when you are on the outside, its sometimes easier too see whats wrong so, yeah, we need those independent eyes. But random fans can be all over the place, that's why people like you are extra vital to learn from, you know, you are able to merge all these different opinions together to something coherent and constructive. Not just screaming fire but being constructive and having arguments is key, that's the kind of feedback we can process internally, you know. Fans, can be like.. they sometimes just don't understand how difficult even the tiniest of changes can be, how it can totally mess up the balance. Let alone understand the challenges of building things from the ground up and exploring new directions online.

Man, can i just say its so great to finally meet you. I've been watching so much of your videos and they are always on point. I am not just saying that and many devs know your channel as well, believe me. Hey, by the way, we got this idea to help you out a bit when you release the video with the hands-on. I also talked about it with the guys from marketing. We where like 'hey, how can we help protect our youtubers a bit against all that negativity that's going around momentarily with the new name and direction and stuf'. Because like i said, they trust you now but you also know it can turn on a dime. If you say anything too positive now, they will be like 'oh you are just saying that because Konami paid you a million dollars, cant believe you have become such a shill blabla' haha you know, just stupid trash talk.

Now, we really want to protect our relations a bit in this regard, because we don't want that trust factor to be harmed and we want to protect your channel. So we thought on how to help you out and we think its best that you explicitly state that the build you played is newer then the one that will be released on the 30th, like a disclaimer kind of thing. Which is true of course. The point being, you can then be as positive as you like and, come release, if people freak out because their crazy high expectation are not met, they will not turn to you and say 'you fucking liar you said this and that'. So, if you have explicitly stated you played a newer build, which again, is not a lie, you will protect yourself from all this harassment, you know? It will just be easier and its a win win because in the end, nobody likes a party pooper and you need to give some hope, a reason to come back. Hope is sort of a drug, you know, but a positive one, with no side-effects. We just want the kids to also see that glimpse of the future we are building together. Of course, do what you like, but we think it will help you a lot.

Again, really really nice meeting you. I will be following your channel closely and tweet your hands-on around as soon as its released! Cheers mate, the future is bright! The king will be back.. slowly but surely. Stay safe, mate!

-----

IMPORTANT: Guys, just to be clear: this is 100% fiction. Sorry, i was pretty sure this was obvious 😚

Last edited:
Awesome, right? Hope you liked it mate. And look, we build it from scratch, things will get better, we just need the time, you know. I mean, imagine what we can do with the UE5 and now that we can just keep updating this thing, slowly moving towards football heaven? Wouldn't that be great? We are at the beginning, the absolute beginning. This amazing journey is ahead of us and we want you to be part of it too. Because, you know, we appreciate your opinion and your feedback and we are now able to make faster iterations based on suggestions from fans and passionate followers like yourself. Its going to be a bumpy ride, for sure, but its important we get that momentum going, especially now with this huge new step. We want as much people to believe in the product as possible so we can invest and iterate on a massive, massive scale, you know.

Anyway, the build you played. To be completely honest, its not that different from the build we submitted to Sony to be released on the 30th. Some people might be disappointed, for sure, cant please everyone right? They might not understand the direction we are taking, but, you know, in the end its the best thing for the franchise. Its the future and you cant stay in the past or else you will be history, you get it?

So yea, this time right now is tricky part. Its absolutely vital for the brand that we keep people onboard, that players understand whats coming for them down the line. There will always be negativity and that's OK, i mean, that's normal, but what we don't want is that negative energy to be in the way of the future. We want as much people as possible to get on board with our vision of the future, to see what we see. So we want to keep the negativity to a minimum, to increase our chances for a bright future, you understand, right? I mean isnt that what we all want for PES, ..err, i mean, eFootball.. haha.. still happens to me all the time. Anyway, we believe this is ultimately the best choice and it will turn our for the better. The future is bright, mate, so very bright.

I mean, whats the point in just being negative as it will not help anyone, in the end. At the same time, we understand things are not looking at its best right now. But just look at Barcelona, they lost Messi and its tough, really tough. But in the end its a billion dollar club and next year, they get some new signings, some talent breaking trough, and they will be back on top, in perfect shape. Now, some fans will be booing in the stands, but its the people that keep on believing in the vision, just doing the work, those that stick with the dream, they will get rewarded in the end, right?

So, your channel, we really like it. Its always very objective and constructive. Very honest and knowledgeable, exactly the kind of channels we like to support, by, you know, sending copies, early builds, invitations to events like these. We value these relationships. Haha.. yeah that almost sounds like i am trying to suck up to you mate, but don't worry, i am just telling it like it is, channels like yours, viewers trust them. We can say anything and people will be like 'yeah whatever another fancy term marketing department has pooped out'. But you, if you tell them its shit or not they know they can trust it. That's so important. Trust is everything nowadays, consumers can be so critical, follow you every step you make. All these opinions, people loose their heads sometimes, you know?

I am babbling on again, sorry. What i am saying is, we want to support you, now and in the future and at the same time we understand it is essential you keep that independence from us so you can be completely objective and bring us the real feedback. Because when you are on the outside, its sometimes easier too see whats wrong so, yeah, we need those independent eyes. But random fans can be all over the place, that's why people like you are extra vital to learn from, you know, you are able to merge all these different opinions together to something coherent and constructive. Not just screaming fire but being constructive and having arguments is key, that's the kind of feedback we can process internally, you know. Fans, can be like.. they sometimes just don't understand how difficult even the tiniest of changes can be, how it can totally mess up the balance. Let alone understand the challenges of building things from the ground up and exploring new directions online.

Man, can i just say its so great to finally meet you, i've been watching so much of your videos and they are always on point. I am not just saying that and many devs know your channel as well, believe me. Hey, by the way, we got this idea to help you out a bit when you release the video with the hands-on. I also talked about it with the guys from marketing, we where like 'hey, how can we help protect our youtubers a bit against all that negativity that's going around momentarily with the new name and direction and stuf'. Because like i said, they trust you now but you also know it can turn on a dime. If you say anything positive now, they will be like 'oh you are just saying that because Konami paid you a million dollars, cant believe you have become such a shill' haha you know, just stupid trash talk.

Now, we really want to protect our relations a bit in this regard, because we don't want that trust factor to be harmed and we want to protect your channel. So we thought on how to help you out and we think its best that you explicitly state that the build you played is newer then the one that will be released on the 30th, like a disclaimer kind of thing. Which is true of course. The point being, if people freak out because their crazy high expectation are not met, they will not turn to you and say 'you fucking liar you said this and that'. Whereas, if you explicitly state you played a newer build, which again, is not a lie, you will protect yourself from this harassment, you know? If you make it very explicit now, it will be easier to deal with any potential negativity and people keep their faith in you. There is no downside as i see it because you will also give the fans some necessary hope. We want them to also see that glimpse of the future we will build together. Of course, do what you like, but we think it will help you a lot.

Again, really really nice meeting you. I will be following your channel closely and tweet your hands-on around as soon as its released! Cheers mate, the future is bright! The king will be back.. slowly but surely. Stay safe, mate!
Where did you get this from? Is it a leaked DM from (say) Adam to (say) Spoony?

I question the wisdom of posting something private like that here. But since you've posted it:

It's interesting how he goes at one moment "we've got to stop all the negativity" - basically hinting that the message recipient shouldn't encourage or should minimise negativity, and then "but you must be independent". This is quite insidious.

I question the wisdom of posting something private like that here. But since you've posted it:

It's interesting how he goes at one moment "we've got to stop all the negativity" - basically hinting that the message recipient shouldn't encourage or should minimise negativity, and then "but you must be independent". This is quite insidious.
I wasn't quite sure what that post was at first, so just skipped it thinking it was something fictional. Read it all the way through now though. If that is real, interested to know how that leaked.

not exactly back, its still there but works differently. As for runs, i think it still might be there:
View attachment 122845
The right stick cursor change is back. BUT this little guide is actually another way to change players. If you hold R3 instead of flicking it, that white guide will come up and the longer you hold it the further it will select a player

Last edited:

I really thinked it was a real guy before i saw "PESV" lol. No idea where it came from.
@PESV next time mention where did you copy paste or if it's you writing that stuff which i would thrust it's the longest trolling post i've ever read haha

The right stick cursor change is back. BUT this little guide is actually another way to change players. If you hold R3 instead of flicking it, that white guide will come up and the longer you hold it the further it will select a player
R3 is the click on RS (right stick), just to make sure we are talking the same language here!
so, holding RS in a direction for longer, rather than flicking it, is another method to switch players?
so one long "hold" of RS in a direction saves me the hussle of flicking multiple times when there are more players between the one i want to control?

So can I pull into Speculation Station for a bit..

Master League, I’m guessing we still know zero about the mode. But on early ‘road maps’ did they suggest Q1 2022? I may be a little shite in the memory department there so apologies if false. But if it is Q1 I’d say we’re looking at March yes?

Now we have to pay for Master League.. which would be ok if it’s been overhauled.. which it won’t be.. but here’s where Speculation Station comes in.

By now calling it eFootball 2022 it indicates a yearly release, or at least patch. So if we buy Master League would we have to buy it again next season? As it’s an ongoing game would we actually lose the ability to play our purchased Master League once eFootball 2023 goes live?

So here’s the issue.. if ML comes out in, let’s say March, with minimal improvements and we then lose it 5 months later. Who is going to buy it? And then how long until we have the Konami response of “we cancelled Master League as it wasn’t a popular mode”. I’m guessing they already have that tweet saved in their drafts. That’s my speculation for the day.

Also I’m currently laying a patio and found this morning that a tramp has shit in my sand overnight. Not sure what that had to do with PES but still. Hashtag the shit is ours maybe?

I don't think they will get rid of ML if it's not too much popular. The thing is done, it just won't be touched.
It cost nothing once it's done.
Take BAL as an example (well, small retouch but nothing big)

Master League, I’m guessing we still know zero about the mode. But on early ‘road maps’ did they suggest Q1 2022? I may be a little shite in the memory department there so apologies if false. But if it is Q1 I’d say we’re looking at March yes?

Now we have to pay for Master League.. which would be ok if it’s been overhauled.. which it won’t be.. but here’s where Speculation Station comes in.

By now calling it eFootball 2022 it indicates a yearly release, or at least patch. So if we buy Master League would we have to buy it again next season? As it’s an ongoing game would we actually lose the ability to play our purchased Master League once eFootball 2023 goes live?

So here’s the issue.. if ML comes out in, let’s say March, with minimal improvements and we then lose it 5 months later. Who is going to buy it? And then how long until we have the Konami response of “we cancelled Master League as it wasn’t a popular mode”. I’m guessing they already have that tweet saved in their drafts. That’s my speculation for the day.

Also I’m currently laying a patio and found this morning that a tramp has shit in my sand overnight. Not sure what that had to do with PES but still. Hashtag the shit is ours maybe?
I can't say this for certain, but from what I've read, Master League is apparently due out in March. I need to try and find where I saw that.

As for purchasing it, someone yesterday posted (not on here) or said it on their channel that once you pay for Master League as premium DLC, you will not have to pay for it again.

I'm just speculating, but I imagine there would be a charge of say £20 each season to update offline modes with the latest seasons squads, but that is purely my theory!

As I'm a glass half full kind of guy, be thankful he shit in your sand and not in your hand. Feel better already, right?

One-off purchase if I'm not mistaken via @Camaldinho :

Although I can see all support for it being binned after a year or two.

Last edited:
I wasn't quite sure what that post was at first, so just skipped it thinking it was something fictional. Read it all the way through now though. If that is real, interested to know how that leaked.
I really thinked it was a real guy before i saw "PESV" lol. No idea where it came from.
@PESV next time mention where did you copy paste or if it's you writing that stuff which i would thrust it's the longest trolling post i've ever read haha
Its 100% fiction and i've added a disclaimer now. Sorry, i thought it would be obvious ;-)

I can't say this for certain, but from what I've read, Master League is apparently due out in March. I need to try and find where I saw that.

As for purchasing it, someone yesterday posted (not on here) or said it on their channel that once you pay for Master League as premium DLC, you will not have to pay for it again.

I'm just speculating, but I imagine there would be a charge of say £20 each season to update offline modes with the latest seasons squads, but that is purely my theory!

As I'm a glass half full kind of guy, be thankful he shit in your sand and not in your hand. Feel better already, right?
the glass is always full... be it with water or air, but its full! ;)

interesting idea... but i just cant imagine Konami missing out on those yearly revenues...

Next, I'd like to ask you about the game content. This time, the concept is "the evolution of the 5 meter area around the ball", what was the idea behind this?

Kimura: Over the past 20 years, "PES" has evolved to allow for a variety of controls. In addition to manipulating the players involved in the ball, we've also made it possible to move the players to cut off passes and destroy spaces to prevent them from being thrown in. As a result, the emphasis gradually shifted to areas other than offense and defense around the ball. That was one direction, but at this time, we decided to revise all of that and go back to the basics to make it more enjoyable to play around the ball.

t's true that you can perform much more detailed operations when you have the ball in attack than when you're defending, right?

Kimura: That's right. By combining the strength of the left stick and the R2 button, you can perform a variety of moves, from slow dribbles to full-on dashes. The defenders, on the other hand, have to keep a little distance and read the various attacks to deal with them.

The game is very realistic, isn't it?

Kimura: However, the defenders are delayed by a few tenths of a second compared to the real players because they have to use the controller, so if we adopted the same control system as the attackers, they would be at a disadvantage. This is why we introduced a game-like element called "matchup. As long as you hold down this button (X button + left stick), the game will automatically pressure you when an opponent with the ball is nearby, or block your passes or shots. In addition, the same controls are used for both attackers and defenders to perform "body contact" (when attacking) and "charging" (when defending). In short, you can use your body to prevent the ball from being stolen or to go for it. The more you can use it, the more interesting the competition will be.

I think it's so much more convenient than before. On the other hand, I was so confused that I asked myself, "Do I have to move the players around me?

Kimura: We've reviewed all the defensive controls so that players can concentrate on the game at the edge of the ball as much as possible. We also introduced matchups and invited several professional players to test play the game to adjust the balance, and made a number of adjustments.

This is the first time you have used the Unreal Engine.

Kimura: One thing that's easy to understand is the expressiveness of the graphics. The overall visuals have been greatly enhanced, including the ability to express the detailed movements of the supporters filling the spectator seats. Also, the engine can be used on all types of hardware, so the development benefits of being able to create for PlayStation 5, PC, and mobile devices all at once were immeasurable.

As you mentioned, this game is also characterized by its cross-platform development, including mobile phones. However, aside from the visuals, I think there will inevitably be differences in the controls for different hardware.

Kimura: The way I see it, instead of customizing a single work for each hardware platform, "eFootball 2022" will exist as a digital platform, and home consoles and mobile devices will be the devices to access it. That's what we're aiming for. We want to make sure that the basic game experience is the same on all hardware, and we plan to make it possible to connect a controller to play on mobile devices in the future

Is it taking a lot of time to adjust the balance?

Source: https://www.famitsu.com/news/amp/202109/24234530.php?
From Seabass... to this Kimura guy. Honestly :LMAO:

the glass is always full... be it with water or air, but its full! ;)

interesting idea... but i just cant imagine Konami missing out on those yearly revenues...
Flipper (thank you!) kindly pointed out that it was Cam who said ML was a one off purchase (thanks Cam for asking that question during your play test!). Although a good thing if they stick by that, but as others have said, could it lead to it being neglected?
A season squad update fee for offline could give it some hope for some additional love though, but I won't hold out too much hope for that. Just a decent ML will do for now!

... actually I'm more of a 2 glasses full kind of guy as it's usually happy hour and I'm double parked

interesting idea... but i just cant imagine Konami missing out on those yearly revenues..
If I was in charge I'd release license-free version, with no licensed teams whatsoever.
Few reasons for it.
1. ML will be a DLC, which means it will only be bought by people who are purely playing ML, which means - they dont give two fucks about licenses (coz we are just used to licenses being shite anyways. Option Files were doing the job)
2. Edit mode can look after yearly kits updates
3. Due to eFootball not being annual game - what happens if they lose license suddenly? Like with Borussia?
Having No Licenses means less headache, less team updates, less mess.
They would only have to bring squad updates via Live Update.

So I'd sell it with fake teams, only as a Mode itself.

And then, Id be adding DLC's to give developers time to create them and to give people choice to make ML more complex and customised, if they choose to.

1. New balls
2. Additional League slots (tier 1 and 2)
3. Stadium Creator
4. New animations/cut scenes packs (when they develop more with time)

...etc...

So you would never lose the mode you have, but in time you could expand and make it deeper, more customised, more polished.

But that simulation aspect is something I can’t stop thinking about. eFootball 2022 is slower, for sure, but I don’t think I’ve ever played a digital football game that is quite as physical as this one. L2 allows you to grab a shirt, or “get physical” with your opponent during a one-on-one, and it feels like something entirely new to learn. If you hold it down you’ll foul them. I even accidentally elbowed someone in the face trying to get ahead of them defending a break, such is the vigor and ferocity of the physical nature present here.

It feels like this new physicality is designed to be used in tandem with, not instead of, the defensive skills that already exist. You’ll want to almost feather the left trigger to grab the shirt, just before you time tackle and win the ball. It’s a micro-moment in a match, but pulling it off feels incredible. The trouble is, the same old collision issues remain from previous games.

This means that there is still a lot of “tackle-bounce”. It’s a bugbear of mine, but as defending has gotten more skill-based in football games over the last few years, when you do time a tackle well, the reward should more often than not be you coming away with the ball. Currently, you sometimes have to tackle three times to get the ball away. If your tackle is head-on, you will almost certainly win the ball, but your follow-through will take you away from it, or onto the floor.

On top of that, players feel either too animated, or not animated enough. Harry Maguire, Giorgio Chiellini, and Gerard Piqué are tanks, strong and almost impossible to tackle, and it’s fine if they are cumbersome to actually move with, but hardly any of the players can turn quickly. In fact, there feels a real lack of pace overall, with even the quicker players just, well… not seeming very quick.

These issues, I’m told, are due to it being an older build. There are also a number of AI issues that I was informed would be fixed; and they really must be. For eFootball to compete at all this year, the gameplay has to be exceptional, and there were a few moments where I wanted my AI teammates to pick the ball up and they just let it pass them by. Changing tactics didn’t alleviate the problems, so it seems a core AI issue, not a tactical one.

The tactical options do make a noticeable difference on the pitch, though. Even changing Barcelona to an “on-the-break” team made them more enjoyable to me. The slower nature of the game meant I didn’t enjoy their usual possession style, but a style-change made them better. Juventus and Bayern Munich felt the best, though bizarrely the lower quality teams like River Place and Corinthians made for an interesting matchup, too. Changing the options to a more manual feel meant that these teams required a little more work to score with, which I liked. The default mode is far too automatic, resulting in passes going to players you didn’t intend them to.

eFootball also seems like a game where you won’t win games 10-0 all the time. Goals are hard earned, and it’s a more defensive experience than ever this time. The one-on-one battles are hugely emphasised thanks to the slower movement, and those big strong defenders do stand out, able to put their arm out and bat weaker players away like flies.

The tricks are now more in line with the competition now, and while not as easy to pull off, it sort of makes sense given the simulation nature. I deliberately tried to bait players, while also purposefully being over-exuberant in the tackle, but the refs seem good so far, though a little lenient sometimes, perhaps.

Playing against the AI was fine for the most part, and offered a decent challenge. But I think this is mostly because I’ve never felt so alien playing a football game before. The pace and physicality feel so different, and that’s what’s so interesting about eFootball this year. Yes, the name is different, but based on my first two hours with this one, I finally at least understand why they’ve changed the name.

The trouble is, with so many issues from the PES-era (and it feels weird to be saying that), the discussion around the launch for eFootball 2022 being more of a demo, does feel like a relevant one. I’m not sure that launching with so few features, teams, and just saying “it’s a sim now!” is enough. I enjoyed my hands on with the game, for sure, but it doesn’t feel done right now. Go into the launch knowing that, and aware it’s an ongoing “live service” product, and you’ll likely have a good time, however.

Source: https://www.nme.com/features/efootball-2022-hands-on-gameplay-preview-3044149

Next, I'd like to ask you about the game content. This time, the concept is "the evolution of the 5 meter area around the ball", what was the idea behind this?

Kimura: Over the past 20 years, "PES" has evolved to allow for a variety of controls. In addition to manipulating the players involved in the ball, we've also made it possible to move the players to cut off passes and destroy spaces to prevent them from being thrown in. As a result, the emphasis gradually shifted to areas other than offense and defense around the ball. That was one direction, but at this time, we decided to revise all of that and go back to the basics to make it more enjoyable to play around the ball.

Forget everything about covering space or passing lanes. Enjoy your damn 1v1s.

This is why taking out secondary pressure is shit. This is why i'm not paying any attention to anyone saying that defending is better, harder or more manual. I don't care if they are a banker, a rocket scientist or a content creator. I think almost everyone who was at this stupid event praised the change, so I'm not taking anyone seriously. I'm not even suggesting it's not their honest opinion. Maybe they honestly don't know what football is or they don't want a football game. And that's fine, i'm just totally ignoring them all personally.

So yeah, this time right now is the tricky part. Its absolutely vital for the brand that we keep people onboard, that players understand whats coming for them down the line. There will always be negativity and that's OK, i mean, that's normal, but what we don't want is that negative energy to be in the way of the future. We want as much people as possible to get on board with our vision, to see what we see. Thus, we want to keep the negativity to a minimum, to increase our chances for a bright future, you understand, right? I mean isnt that what we all want for PES, ..err, i mean, eFootball.. haha.. still happens to me all the time. Anyway, we believe this is ultimately the best choice and it will turn our for the better. The future is bright, mate, so very bright.

I mean, honestly, whats the point in just being negative? It will not help anyone, in the end. At the same time, we understand things are not looking at its best right now. But just look at Barcelona, they lost Messi and its tough, really tough. But in the end its a billion dollar club and next year, they get some new signings, some talent breaking trough, and they will be back on top, in perfect shape. Now, some fans will be booing in the stands, but its the people that keep on believing in the vision, just doing the work, those that stick with the dream, they will get rewarded in the end, right?

So, your channel, we really like it. Its always very objective and constructive. Very honest and knowledgeable, exactly the kind of channels we like to support, by, you know, sending copies, early builds, invitations to events like these. We value these relationships. Haha.. yeah that almost sounds like i am trying to suck up to you mate, but don't worry, i am just telling it like it is. Channels like yours, viewers trust them. We can say anything and people will be like 'yeah whatever another fancy term marketing department has pooped out'. But you, if you tell them its shit or not they know they can trust it. That's so important. Trust is everything nowadays. Consumers can be so critical, follow you every step you make. All these opinions... people loose their heads sometimes, you know?

I am babbling on again, sorry. What i am saying is, we want to support you. Now and in the future. But we also understand it is essential you keep that independence from us so you can be completely objective and bring us the real feedback. Because when you are on the outside, its sometimes easier too see whats wrong so, yeah, we need those independent eyes. But random fans can be all over the place, that's why people like you are extra vital to learn from, you know, you are able to merge all these different opinions together to something coherent and constructive. Not just screaming fire but being constructive and having arguments is key, that's the kind of feedback we can process internally, you know. Fans, can be like.. they sometimes just don't understand how difficult even the tiniest of changes can be, how it can totally mess up the balance. Let alone understand the challenges of building things from the ground up and exploring new directions online.

Man, can i just say its so great to finally meet you. I've been watching so much of your videos and they are always on point. I am not just saying that and many devs know your channel as well, believe me. Hey, by the way, we got this idea to help you out a bit when you release the video with the hands-on. I also talked about it with the guys from marketing. We where like 'hey, how can we help protect our youtubers a bit against all that negativity that's going around momentarily with the new name and direction and stuf'. Because like i said, they trust you now but you also know it can turn on a dime. If you say anything too positive now, they will be like 'oh you are just saying that because Konami paid you a million dollars, cant believe you have become such a shill blabla' haha you know, just stupid trash talk.

Now, we really want to protect our relations a bit in this regard, because we don't want that trust factor to be harmed and we want to protect your channel. So we thought on how to help you out and we think its best that you explicitly state that the build you played is newer then the one that will be released on the 30th, like a disclaimer kind of thing. Which is true of course. The point being, if people freak out because their crazy high expectation are not met, they will not turn to you and say 'you fucking liar you said this and that'. Whereas, if you explicitly state you played a newer build, which again, is not a lie, you will protect yourself from this harassment, you know? It will be easier to deal with any potential negativity and people keep their faith in you. There is no downside as i see it because you will also give the fans some necessary hope. We want them to also see that glimpse of the future we will build together. Of course, do what you like, but we think it will help you a lot.

-----

IMPORTANT: Guys, just to be clear: this is 100% fiction. Sorry, i was pretty sure this was obvious 😚
9.9/10
only missed the "you know... we dont run a charity around here mate"

Back
Top Bottom