eFootball (All Platforms)

I still think PES 2018 delivers the best balance between Arcade and simulation. Not saying its perfect but imo it's easily the most fun Konami soccer game over the last five years. I now understand why they dropped the "Pro Evolution Soccer" label, it's because the game just feels to me like it hasn't evolved this decade.

It doesn't do much justice to the words Pro or Soccer either

So others are allowed to make tongue in cheek comments, but I'm not?

eFootball is a multi-platform game, not a limited to mobile only game.

I've listed a fair few and agreed with plenty of negatives about the game. I've seen very little from people who openly criticize the game even list one positive. And before anyone says there are no positives, how about the new analogue movement with the amount of pressure you apply to the left stick affecting the speed of your player? Not that we've been able to try it (properly?) yet, but that's a great feature to add in my opinion.

I'm not blindly defending Konami, I'm just saying what I personally think is good or bad about eFootball.

Sorry but you fail to understand the point, no one said it’s limited TO mobile only. People are saying it’s limited BY mobile which is a completly different thing.

As good as CPU of mobiles are, do you really believe that a true next gen game made specially for next gen consoles and taking advantage of all the power and tech, would be playable in a mobile, even if with downgraded graphics?

can you explain then why FIFA hyper motion which is based on ML, does not even run on PS4/xbox one? If it was possible can you explain why EA, the most milking cow company of all, that gambles kids money with UT, would not make it crossover with mobile if that was possible?

The game could even turn out good enough, since we had pretty good games of PES, gameplay wise, in PS2 and PS3 or even PS4, with much weaker CPUs than the ones of the new mobile phones, but if you play that today it feels dated, and I’m not talking about graphics, but gameplay mechanics, AI, etc, but it will never reach the potential it could, if it was made exclusively for next gen consoles like they stated before, when they said the last gen consoles would continue with Fox Engine, and the true next gen experience would be with Unreal on new gen.

We'll see about the gameplay once the game is released. I play only offline, so what matters to me is:

- decent AI
- edit mode
- offline modes like master league, leagues, cups
- decent database with national teams and leagues

This time I have a bad feeling about the AI, I think it might be the weak spot of eFootball.
For the offline modes I think we'll have to wait for months, but I guess Konami will go the minimal effort route, same as PES21, which means bland modes, but ok enough as I lowered my expectations...
But the gameplay really concerns me, I expect some mobile game level of shitshow.

He's going to become famous or infamous that's for sure. If it flops he'll end up looking like a giant spanner, killed the PES brand for a clown mobile game, if the consooomers take the bait (as there is some anecdotal evidence they are already doing) then business execs will probably look at him in a few years like gamers look at Hideo Kojima today, a visionary who shafted the traditional player base and yet reaped the rewards as a result, with minimal effort and about £50 spent on the marketing/graphic design budget. I still wouldn't be surprised if the latter happens when you see things like this

View attachment 121418
Unfortunately I don't have time to check the thread and see if anyone mentioned this, but: that's a sort of fake news (the tweet).

Basically: the rebadged package of NFGOPT became the pre-order pack for eFootball, in anyone's library who had NFG already. So, e.g., I look to my friends to have pre-ordered the premium pack :LOL:

I've no idea if this is deliberate as a way of drumming up demand and creating FOMO, or whether it's just another incompetent cock-up.

Either way, totally fucked!

Guys, we have nothing to worry about. This is what Konami announced a little more than a year ago when they explained why we weren't getting anything new for another year. They were taking PES to a whole new level.

https://www.konami.com/wepes/25th/en/2020/

"
As the industry stands at the precipice of an exciting new generation of consoles, we believe that now is the perfect time to share some of our plans for the future of the PES franchise with you.

To that end, we are excited to announce that we are hard at work on a next-generation football title that aims to truly embody our core concept of "The Pitch is Ours".

This title is being developed with an updated engine that will enable us to dazzle you with staggering improvements to all areas of the game. Expect more realistic player models and animations, enhanced physics, photorealistic visuals, and much much more.

We recognize that many of you are enthusiastic for new myClub and Master League content, and we are also excited to share that large updates are in the works for both of these modes.

However, the sheer scale of everything we are aiming to achieve for our next-gen debut has made it necessary to pare back our efforts in other areas of development. As a result, we have made the decision to launch this year's PES as a streamlined offering in the form of a "season update". That being said, we are still extremely confident that this year's game offers fans more than enough thrills to tide them over until our next-gen title is ready for launch.

This year also marks a quarter of a century since the very first PES title was released. To commemorate this important milestone, and more importantly, to show our gratitude to you, our loyal fans, we are pleased to announce that this year's PES will launch at an affordable anniversary price and will also come with several bonuses.

Currently, we aim to begin testing of our next-gen title sometime in mid-2021, with an estimated release date later in the same year.

Until that time, we hope to see you back on the pitch in this year's season update.

Look forward to more news regarding our next-gen project closer to release."

So relax guys, you can count on Konami to stay true to their promises.

BTW, I posted the same thing on reddit, but the mods there removed it....

Well would you look at that? A games development trend is emerging - and fans across the globe, across the genres, are hating it.

Eurogamer: Sega's new mobile RPG is getting four times as many dislikes as likes on YouTube

"The teaser trailer is currently racking up four times as many likes as dislikes on its Japanese-language YouTube account. The majority of [...] comments seem unhappy that the game is seemingly only coming to mobile devices which leave some fearing it will be 'monetise[d] to death'.

'The only good part of this trailer is that they aren't disgracing an existing IP with more smartphone garbage,' opined one commenter.'"

I'm just tired of reading your exacerbated optimism, the insistence with which you contradict and fight the users who are disappointed by what they announced that they offer from Konami. But don't worry, I will ignore you and solve this problem quickly. 2. It's already dubious (or incredibly stupid) the subtle way you try to side with Konami, trying to minimize the wave of antipathy and rejection, especially of old Pes players, by fighting them aggressively, many times, when it is so obvious, after so many videos with the gameplay, comments from users who played beta versions, after the official statements (incompetent or omitted) from Konami, that it will be absolutely a mobile game and summarizing , a deception of expectations and a mockery of gamers, when they also asked us for understanding waiting 2 years to launch a very special game. Do you understand that? The rest, your cheap ironies, I pass them to the ignore chapter, as I said above, I will ignore you so that I don't see your aberrations anymore.
The best we can do is give it a try and extract our own conclusion tbh. I mean, I don't have high hopes for what is coming but who knows, maybe is not that bad as I expect, even if dumbed down controls and tactics put me off and I am 0 excited and with absolutely no desires to play. But dunno, maybe this year CPU defenses don't catch up so much after dribblings, for example. Maybe simplified tactics solves CPU teammates positioning, and they start doing better in the pitch, start doing better and more frequent movements off the ball...

Sorry but you fail to understand the point, no one said it’s limited TO mobile only. People are saying it’s limited BY mobile which is a completly different thing.

As good as CPU of mobiles are, do you really believe that a true next gen game made specially for next gen consoles and taking advantage of all the power and tech, would be playable in a mobile, even if with downgraded graphics?

can you explain then why FIFA hyper motion which is based on ML, does not even run on PS4/xbox one? If it was possible can you explain why EA, the most milking cow company of all, that gambles kids money with UT, would not make it crossover with mobile if that was possible?

The game could even turn out good enough, since we had pretty good games of PES, gameplay wise, in PS2 and PS3 or even PS4, with much weaker CPUs than the ones of the new mobile phones, but if you play that today it feels dated, and I’m not talking about graphics, but gameplay mechanics, AI, etc, but it will never reach the potential it could, if it was made exclusively for next gen consoles like they stated before, when they said the last gen consoles would continue with Fox Engine, and the true next gen experience would be with Unreal on new gen.
Apologies. I didn't explain my take on the "it's a mobile game that you can play on consoles" view that a lot of people had properly. I didn't think that people thought it could only be played on mobile. Konami I see describe it as primarily a next gen title that is then scaled down on other platforms depending on their capabilities.

Now, naturally, with multi platform cross play involved, the benefits with the next gen platforms will be just in terms of visuals, crowd and off pitch animations and for PS5 anyway, use of the haptics in the controller. I don't know the ins and outs of the Unreal Engine, but can advanced gameplay elements or physics that require extra power from the new gen consoles be included just for new gen systems that then can get disabled of you decide to play someone on a previous gen system or mobile?

I'd be disappointed if they've had to make major sacrifices in terms of what they could have done with the gameplay by making sure that cross play worked across all devices. I hope that teammate press and right stick player switching were removed because you can't implement that on mobile devices. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that on mobile when you have real and virtual controllers that can match the number of buttons you have on say a PS5 controller.

FIFA's new Hypermotion technology will hopefully be a good indicator of how much difference a technology for new gen only will have compared to previous versions. Having not owned a FIFA since FIFA 2014 though, I'd need to read up on other people's opinions about that though as I just don't have sufficient experience of that game. There's no guarantee that will make the game noticeably different just because it's for new gen though. I just want a game engine and whatever motion technology used to make the gameplay as good as it can be. I don't personally have a problem if that game engine and motion technology can also be used on less powerful systems, I just want a decent football game regardless of what's making everything happen behind the scenes.

I hope the Unreal Engine and Motion Matching can give us a good game as an alternative to FIFA. It may not be PES anymore, but I still want this to succeed in terms of giving us a good footballing experience that is an improvement on what has come before it.

Apologies. I didn't explain my take on the "it's a mobile game that you can play on consoles" view that a lot of people had properly. I didn't think that people thought it could only be played on mobile. Konami I see describe it as primarily a next gen title that is then scaled down on other platforms depending on their capabilities.

Now, naturally, with multi platform cross play involved, the benefits with the next gen platforms will be just in terms of visuals, crowd and off pitch animations and for PS5 anyway, use of the haptics in the controller. I don't know the ins and outs of the Unreal Engine, but can advanced gameplay elements or physics that require extra power from the new gen consoles be included just for new gen systems that then can get disabled of you decide to play someone on a previous gen system or mobile?

This is a much more composed and less provocative take. It was mentioned already though I think. What you're saying is essentially no different to developing two games. Now also imagine switching between different gameplay with different physics & animations depending on your opponent. It's not impossible to do but it doesn't make much sense & there is simply nothing to suggest it may be the case. This secret next gen game does not exist. The cutscenes will look good like it's been mentioned.

Personally I don't care at all about graphics and I don't think it's out of the question for a mobile game to have good gameplay, but come on now. Every single sign and every single thing Konami are saying points to a shoddy, exploitive mobile game that's no different from 99% of all other mobile games.

You can be optimistic until the very end but that's ignoring everything Konami themselves are openly saying about the game.

We'll see about the gameplay once the game is released. I play only offline, so what matters to me is:

- decent AI
- edit mode
- offline modes like master league, leagues, cups
- decent database with national teams and leagues

This time I have a bad feeling about the AI, I think it might be the weak spot of eFootball.
For the offline modes I think we'll have to wait for months, but I guess Konami will go the minimal effort route, same as PES21, which means bland modes, but ok enough as I lowered my expectations...
But the gameplay really concerns me, I expect some mobile game level of shitshow.

I feel that for offline players like us, we'll have to wait till Q1 2022 for the edit mode and offline modes to be ready, plus most importantly: All the PC mods to be ready. We'll be lucky if we had any stadiums, but I'm sure the game will look stunning once the modders add stadiums to it.

FIFA's new Hypermotion technology will hopefully be a good indicator of how much difference a technology for new gen only will have compared to previous versions.

PCs and PS4s can easily run FIFA22 with Hypermotion. The only reason it's exclusive to PS5/XBSX is to drive next console sales. They have to give people a reason to upgrade, otherwise they'll just stay with old gen until FIFA makes the newer visuals worth the upgrade.

PCs and PS4s can easily run FIFA22 with Hypermotion. The only reason it's exclusive to PS5/XBSX is to drive next console sales. They have to give people a reason to upgrade, otherwise they'll just stay with old gen until FIFA makes the newer visuals worth the upgrade.
Why would EA want to drive up console sales rather than trying to sell their own game by putting these greatly superior animations in? That just doesnt make sense unless it was a 3do they were trying to punt.

Chances are it all came down to time and they wouldnt of been able to do 4 or 5 different platforms in the single year.

It's more a question of requirements, mainly memory + SSD.

In fact the actual hardware PCs can run the exclusive PS5/XBSX FIFA 22 with Hypermotion, and every console game (if it's ported correctly) by a mile...

In fact the actual hardware PCs can run the exclusive PS5/XBSX FIFA 22 with Hypermotion, and every console game (if it's ported correctly) by a mile...
I mean, that's not true when it comes to data throughput. SSDs available on PCs aren't yet able to make the most of the I/O pipeline because there are so many bottlenecks in the way, even if the raw I/O speeds on a drive look faster. That was the whole point and the excitement of the new SSD and custom controller on the PS5, opening up a way for developers to use them that effectively treated them like an expansion to RAM, allowing e.g. all the background information in a scene to be loaded in the milliseconds it takes players to turn, rather than keeping in memory itself. So it would, in principle, eliminate the need for in-game loading screens, like "corridors" (infamous in, e.g., FFXV). Of course, we're likely only to see first-party developers really make use of that pipeline – and so far, only Housemarque (as a 2nd-turned-1st part dev) and Insomniac (with Ratchet and Clank) have sought to use it. But from early testing, it looks like theoretical I/O speeds are nowhere near being matched in actual games so far.

In short, though, this is an area we can expect PC to lag behind next-gen consoles, and even XSX to lag behind PS5 (whatever other benefits you might think an XSX has over PS5 – I'm not trying to start a flame war here). For years, esp last gen, PCs have seemed naturally far more capable than anything the consoles could do, and the console hardware was felt to be holding back game development as the lowest common denominator. That's simply not going to be true going forward, I think. Ironically, though, with this cross-play fetishism we're experiencing, it's actually mobiles that will be holding us all back. Woop.

Well, this was the subject of speculation following the "Reddit insider" LARP (which, full disclosure, I gave far too much credence to initially). It doesn't make much sense, as a few people here pointed out indeed, for devs to introduce fundamentally different playing experiences and expectations for when you're playing vs different devices, when cross-play is your main ambition. So, yes, you could theoretically launch different game modes when playing vs devices of similar power/capability, but it goes against the parity ethos of cross-play.

More to the point, outside of Twitter and Reddit gossip, we have had no assurance that anything "next gen" really exists. All the gameplay we've played (NFG) and seen (leaks) indicates there's pretty much one base game with slight graphical variations, with shitty dumbed down AI and an incomplete set of controller options.

This is what I found with a quick search on google.

https://www.earlygame.com/fifa/fifa-22-hypermotion-next-gen/

Why Is HyperMotion Not Available On PlayStation 4 And Xbox One?​

Do you like the sound of that, and are you looking forward to the new FIFA 22? Same. The only problem is: You can only get everything you've just read if you have a PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X|S, or, if you are playing via Google Stadia. There is no HyperMotion for old-gen, nor PC.

The reason for this is easy to explain. Old-gen simply does not meet the technical requirements. Even on PC, EA didn't want to increase the minimum technical requirements for gamers.
——————————-

But it’s EA so take that with a pinch of salt. But why would they try to alienate their biggest userbase, which is on last gen, by not putting their new features, which they love to brag about, in order to make people to jump for next gen consoles which by the way will not benefit them at all, since the userbase is still very short and the lack of consoles for sale does will not help on that at least until fifa 23.
It does not make sense.

So I still maintain my opinion that even if Efootball turns out to be a good game, it will be lacking in everything that could be done to be a really next gen experience. What does cut scenes and supporters on stadium in HD, or 3D lawn, add to the experience besides that first wow when you see it for the first 5 or 10 times and then you just want to skip it, if the gameplay is lacking in features, animations, fluidity, AÍ, that could’ve been there if it were made really with next gen in mind? For that, we already have FIFA which have a wonderful presentation with all the bells and whistles (not so on the player models and grass) plenty of game modes licenses, but then you start the match and it’s a high speed tony hawk making tricks, in a NHL pitch without any resemblance to football at all.

I feel that for offline players like us, we'll have to wait till Q1 2022 for the edit mode and offline modes to be ready, plus most importantly: All the PC mods to be ready. We'll be lucky if we had any stadiums, but I'm sure the game will look stunning once the modders add stadiums to it.
I wish I shared your optimism bro.
With all the setbacks etc what makes you think we will actually have a decent offline mode with improvements in gameplay? Konami have really set the tone for pay to play which seems to be nearly solely focused on online modes/my club etc, so why should they even bother putting time into anything else like ML or better AI and gameplay when it won’t serve them on a monetary basis?
For me it looks like it’s just going to be a mobile game that may look pretty on now current gen consoles.

I'm actually very surprised on how this invention of Konami about pre-ordering some gambling got so viral that even Yongyea who isn't into sports (especially not into football) got to point out on this. I mean he is doing lots of videos about shady publishers like EA or 2K, but I wasn't thinking that Konami will ever get so viral to those standards, where they'll trigger directly his attention. But in the end to preorder lootboxes it's a new level of scam, it's like Konami is going at war with the classic lootbox model during a "hold my beer" situation and competing on who can release a more effective predatory abomination...

Great to see a YouTuber of Yong's reach cover this. Would love to have a Jim Stephanie Sterling one, and a SkillUp one too. But Yong is basically one of the biggest out there.

You can see he's not familiar with football, or with the series. Some of the comparisons he makes with FIFA are comparisons he could have made with PES itself (e.g., the yearly release cycle and wiping of myClub content before now). But his arguments are still sound. (Oh, and the less said about his pronunciation of "Juventus", the better!)

I found it interesting that one aspect of the monetisation he singled out as scummy is the selling of individual modes in a game that's marketed as F2P. I haven't seen people making this argument, but it's a good one. I've seen people try and spin it as (following Adam's lead), "just imagine how great ML will be now that we're paying specifically for it!", which was always complete guff. No, not only is there no compulsion to make a good ML just because it's being sold individually, it's also a fucking cheek that they are carving up the complete game into sections, and giving away the gambling part of the game "for free".

but I wasn't thinking that Konami will ever get so viral to those standards, where they'll trigger directly his attention
Are you forgetting how these YouTubers went to war with Konami a few times before? I mean, the Fuck Konami meme was Jim Sterling's haha. Konami have mugged off the different fanbases of their respective IPs before now, so when there's a big opportunity to dunk on them, I suppose it's not that surprising.

The thing is, the way they released PES and did the same myClub stuff every year – that flew under the radar of most gamers and the gaming press, especially while EA were there to do the same thing but worse. But with the big F2P shift, the PR about the shift, they got themselves press – just not the press they would want.

Back
Top Bottom