Frank Lampard

Strikers
Carlton Cole
Hernan Crespo
Didier Drogba

Geremi Can play RB, SMF, WG
Eidur Gudjohnsen Can play CF, OMF, CMF.

Other players on loan

Juan Sebastian Veron - Inter Milan (season)
Alexi Smertin - Charlton (season)
Jiri Jarosik - Birmingham (season)
Kevin McKinlay - Ross County (season)
Nuno Morais - Maritimo (season)

If there aren't any players missing:
So I see two players for each position and 2 more that can play in a variety of different positions that every coach likes. The guys on loan, the only one that could play would be Veron, but he prefers Italy and the club decided to let him go.

So how can chelsea be buying players just that they wouldn't play in other teams? They have bought, so far, players they needed or that could strenghten the squad. I counted 25 players currently on the squad, the average number or players in a team. I'm sure you can find alot of teams out there that have more.

Revan said:
GKs
Petr Cech
Carlo Cudicini
Lenny Pidgeley

LBs
Wayne Bridge
Asier Del Horno

CBs
Ricardo Carvalho
John Terry
William Gallas
Robert Huth

RBs
Glen Johnson
Paulo Ferreira

DMF/CMF's
Lassina Diarra
Michael Essien
Claude Makelele
Maniche

WGs/SMFs
Joe Cole
Damien Duff
Shaun Wright-phillips
Arjen Robben

OMF
Frank Lampard

Strikers
Carlton Cole
Hernan Crespo
Didier Drogba

Geremi Can play RB, SMF, WG
Eidur Gudjohnsen Can play CF, OMF, CMF.

Other players on loan

Juan Sebastian Veron - Inter Milan (season)
Alexi Smertin - Charlton (season)
Jiri Jarosik - Birmingham (season)
Kevin McKinlay - Ross County (season)
Nuno Morais - Maritimo (season)

If there aren't any players missing:
So I see two players for each position and 2 more that can play in a variety of different positions that every coach likes. The guys on loan, the only one that could play would be Veron, but he prefers Italy and the club decided to let him go.

So how can chelsea be buying players just that they wouldn't play in other teams? They have bought, so far, players they needed or that could strenghten the squad. I counted 25 players currently on the squad, the average number or players in a team. I'm sure you can find alot of teams out there that have more.

You can only play 11!!!!!

SWP has been either benched or out of the team, he hardly gets a start. yes its nice to have two quality players for every position but that doesnt happen in the real world. Your kidding yourselves if the signing of SWP was in Chelseas interest a way of keeping a decent threatening player bolstering a rival. Fine if hes a first team starter thats ok but he isnt, far from it.

It just goes to prove that in a way Chelsea take targets away from rivals with the amount of loans sales, smertin, veron, jarosik, mutu, parker all let go for little money, loan deals or set free. All these players just cant be kept realistically and so fine them selves away from the club.

a couple of nice recent letters to football365.com

I rarely write in to F365 but after reading the ramblings of 'Fez', I just don't know where to start....

Okay, I do. He's right that it's ridiculous to employ a 'I saw him first!' mentality to transfer policy, but the facts are there. SWP was a realistic target for Arsenal and an unnecessary one for Chelsea (already struggling to accommodate Duff, Robben and Cole in the first team).

Arsenal were out-muscled financially because Chelsea are capable of that. Result? He
doesn't play because Chelsea don't need him, but it prevents him strengthening the Arsenal team. More recently, Chelsea land Maniche and Jose declares he doesn't need any more players this transfer window. Arsenal step up their pursuit of Theo and, surprise, Chelsea weigh in with a larger bid (though thankfully Theo doesn't appear to be one of those mercenary footballers you love employing at the bridge). Again with Liverpool and Simao. Do you need him? No, but he'd be a danger in the Liverpool squad...

Next, how does the Theo situation compare with Pennant, Upson and Jeffers? Last I checked these guys were hardly setting the footballing world alight. Must be Arsenal's fault they didn't fulfil their 'next big thing' potential.

But, to take first prize it has to be:

'Of course the crux of the matter is, that due to the shift in financial muscle, Chelsea are now able to do to Arsenal what Arsenal have been able to do to various other clubs over the last few years'.

Of course! The financial juggernaut that is Arsenal, scourge of the Premiership, raping talent from other clubs the last ten years! What planet are you on?

I'm no bitter gooner, I accept this is what we have to expect from Chelsea given their financial power, but to deny it happens is just retarded.
Stewart 'no comment' Stapleton, London

and another....

...It’s high time a couple of generally accepted sensationalist myths were put to death right now!

'Arsenal kill British talent' - this is the biggest pile of steaming poo I’ve read in a long time (and I read the redtops)! A lot of you anti-Arsenal bigots have continually cited Pennant, Jeffers and Upson as examples of how Arsenal (& Wenger) have somehow stunted their development, but let’s examine these cases for a moment:

Pennant was in and out of trouble while he was at Arsenal, not always concentrating on football nor focusing on using his talent. These misdemeanours forced him out of Arsenal to 'last chance saloon' Birmingham, not an Anti-British attitude held by Wenger. Remember him playing a game wearing an electronic tag? I s’pose that was Arsenal’s fault?

Also, according to reports, Jeffers carried an immense chip on his shoulder, carrying on like a bertie big balls. When his talent failed to match his attitude, he was shown the door (he hasn’t exactly proved Arsenal wrong has he? Charlton &andRangers obviously applied the same logic). Now, I would rather have Upson at Arsenal than the hapless Cygan (who, to be fair, wasn’t a complete disaster while Ashley was recovering) but the fact is he didn’t make the grade during his time at Highbury.

At most, if not all Premiership clubs, young British players are increasingly faced with competition from foreign players. But if they make the grade, they’ll be played (unless the manager is a nut job who hasn’t got a clue). Taking Chelsea as an example, a few years ago Lampard and Terry were faced with major competition, but it’s fair to say they played their way into the team by being consummate professionals who concentrated on developing their talent and becoming better footballers. Now they’re undroppable. If Pennant and Jeffers had adopted the same approach, theirs could have been a different story.

Talking of Chelsea, another couple of myths need to die. That Fez bloke needs to get some football education: Kevin Lowden’s point about Chelsea’s transfer policy actually holds water - I remember watching an interview with Essien last season. When asked who he wanted to play for, he started to gush on about Manchester United and how Keane was his hero yadda yadda. The media concluded that there was no question he’d end up at Old Trafford. Everyone knows that Chelsea were after Gerrard, but when that fell through, who did they go for? Manchester-bound Essien.

Jon Obi Mikel had actually SIGNED AN AGREEMENT with ManYoo, only for Chelsea to come sniffing around. Arsenal had tabled a reasonable bid for SWP, only for Chelsea to come sniffing around and inflate the price. See a pattern? It’s a good thing Wenger’s good at unearthing hidden gems, because if he declared interest in a major target, Chelski would come sniffing around and offer to pay double.

Lastly...'Chelsea are now able to do to Arsenal what Arsenal have been able to do to various other clubs over the last few years'...and doesn't the bitterness just shine through. What does that mean? When have Arsenal EVER hijacked another club’s move for a player? When have Arsenal EVER offered double for a player so as to prevent him from playing for a rival? Absolute piffle and balderdash (I would insert appropriate swear words, but I don’t wanna get sacked)

And those are the facts.
Philip 'I know it’s long, but go on!' Olagunju

seems to say it all really....

So this is all about SWP? Arsenal fan antred?

yes its nice to have two quality players for every position but that doesnt happen in the real world.
Well, since we are not in the Matrix, yeah it does happen in the real world.

Your kidding yourselves if the signing of SWP was in Chelseas interest a way of keeping a decent threatening player bolstering a rival.
I keeping seeing people say that but we still haven't seen Chelsea steal players just for the fun of them not playing. All their signings so far made sense.

Above I read about Chelsea stealing Simão: can you tell the future?

Look at your arguments antred, it's only about SWP, a possible future transfer for Simão and another possible future transfer for Theo (the kid)

Looks like Antred is showing his true colours. Lol mate, just leave it, seriously. You really think Chelsea bought players so others can't have them. YOU are not in the real world! Going by your theory, Walcott would have no choice but to go to Chelsea (referring to your SWP comments earlier) Wrong! Again it's the player's decision!!
The transfer market is, if you haven't noticed, a competitive market fuelled by media specualtion and an overzealous dose of greedy agents. There will always be several clubs interested in any one player at the same time. If i'm not mistaken, Chelsea were interested in a certain Dutch striker long before Man Utd got their checkbook out and spent near £50 million on him and Veron combined.
You're only in here to bitch. Admit it.

I have to say, i think it is the media that put their own spin on things. The Simao rumour is exactly that, a rumour! You mentioned essien in your long(and very well written i must add!) letter, but you kind of shot yourself in the foot. Yes essien did want to go to man yoo, but when chelsea failed with a bid for gerrard, they went after essien...who was pretty much the best option. And who would you rather play for? a team who looks like they could keep improving to be the best in europe, or a team who is going through a 'transitional phase'(is it me or is that the fashionable excuse for underperforming teams recently?). Essien did what any non-manchester born player would do, go to the better club at the time. As for SWP, mourinho has said that he doesnt feel like shaun is performing as he would like, and i dont really see mourinho freezing out a very very gifted young player for no reason. Mourinho might have his favourites, but honestly would you swap robben or cole in the form that they are at the moment? Everyone talks like SWP is being treated like a piece of shit, but in reality, he can't seem to make the break for himself at the moment. Give him time...very rarely does a player achieve his full potential in his first season at a new club. I mean...look at harry kewell! 8)

Well im just giving you my opinion i dont expect anyone to agree with me after all you all support Chelsea.

And for the record i support Liverpool, not Arsenal or the Mancs.

"More recently, Chelsea land Maniche and Jose declares he doesn't need any more players this transfer window. Arsenal step up their pursuit of Theo and, surprise, Chelsea weigh in with a larger bid (though thankfully Theo doesn't appear to be one of those mercenary footballers you love employing at the bridge)"

That for me says it all. I will leave this thread now, i've had my say, enjoy your hollow times. :)

Professor Nutmeg said:
£12M for a 16 year old. I don't know what's more ridiculous, that or Wenger buying English :mrgreen:

Not as ridiculous as you offering more than us! There's a reason we don't buy English, it's too expensive it always was and since you lot got the Russians money it got even more stupid.

£12m will only be if he reaches his full potential, it'll only be about £5m now with the rest in performance related bonuses.

get the fuck out of our thread antred, all you've done is taking the piss, you're winding us up man. Leave it, let it go.

@joostebrood LMFAO! Classic!

I dont always agree with our signings, but maniche is fair enough, hes only on loan, and hes a replacement for essien.

SWP was a decent signing, now we have two right footed wingers and two left footed! simple.

Now theo walcott is a very good player, and will definately get even better, but i dont think he would get a first team place at any of the top clubs in the premiership. He's too inexperienced and not strong enough yet. And you know what everyone will say if we do sign him. "another wasted talent going to chelsea, he wont get a chance to aply yada yada yada"

but then saying that, wenger does like playing with kids (cesc fabregas, flamini, clichy) i dont know about voyeur, maybe mosuier wenger is good friends with gary glitter? if you get what im saying ;)

Did i just say that? oh dear....

Nickybaker said:
Not as ridiculous as you offering more than us! There's a reason we don't buy English, it's too expensive it always was and since you lot got the Russians money it got even more stupid..

Ah, but that's to be expected. We do have a better financial footing. ;) That doesn't stop it being too much though.
I agree however, what makes English players think they're worth more? Simply less talent around if you ask me.

Professor Nutmeg said:
I agree however, what makes English players think they're worth more? Simply less talent around if you ask me.

I think the main reason in this country is that clubs over price their players to scare people off.

I remember when Arsenal tried to buy Le Saux when Arsene first took over and he was quoted something like £12 million and he said he could buy a starting X1 for that.

English managers want English players and don't worry about how much they cost, foreigns managers want the best players for winning trophies.

Nickybaker said:
I think the main reason in this country is that clubs over price their players to scare people off.

I remember when Arsenal tried to buy Le Saux when Arsene first took over and he was quoted something like £12 million and he said he could buy a starting X1 for that.

English managers want English players and don't worry about how much they cost, foreigns managers want the best players for winning trophies.
I think you're right there. If you know people want something really bad, what do you do? You put the price up.

Revan said:
And if it's chelsea, it goes way over.

well wouldnt you if you knew money was no object for the buyer...

on another note my mate down there has told me that chelseas new changing rooms are like 5* hotels have you seen them??

Alucard said:
Wayne bridge has had to be laoned out to get some first team action and maybe some hope he will finally get some games to get his match fitness in order for the world cup. Hopefully not as unlucky as scott parker.
http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=355256&CPID=8&clid=&lid=3&title=Bridge+makes+Fulham+switch

I think SWP is next to have to move to get some first team action, unless he changes his name to Nuno pedros fernando.

there are rumours he'll be loaned back to siddy...

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
They might as well buy every player in the Premiership and loan them all back to their old club so none of them would eligible to face Chelsea. :roll:

Yup, just like Man Utd (Spector) and Arsenal (Bentley) loanees aren't eligible to play against their parent clubs.

Guys, Bridge had a bad injury for ages, he didn't even get back to full fitness, let alone match fitness. It's pretty obvious why he hasn't forced his way back into the first XI.

You guys crack me up. The only people coming in here to "stir" are Arsenal, Man Utd and Pool fans, lol! Says something doesn't it. ;)

Some actual Chelsea news, for a change. From the BBC website

Chelsea are reportedly interested in buying Earls Court Exhibition Centre in a £400m deal so they can build a new stadium to replace Stamford Bridge.
Blues owner Roman Abramovich is believed to be keen on the switch so he can fund a new 65,000-seater stadium, replacing their current 42,000 home.

A lack of space has prevented Chelsea increasing Stamford Bridge's capacity.

The Earls Court and Olympia complex are owned by St James Capital and they have "received approaches" said a spokesman.

Abramovich has grown increasingly frustrated at Stamford Bridge as there is not enough room around it to make it any bigger.

Yet Premiership rivals Manchester United will soon be playing in front of 75,000 at Old Trafford and Arsenal move into their new 60,000 stadium at Ashburton Grove next season.

St James' entrepreneurs put the Earls Court and Olympia site up for sale in December for £400m.

The entire site takes up around 36 acres, with Abramovich looking for 13 acres on which to build any potential new ground for Chelsea.

The Blues could then sell Stamford Bridge, which may be worth up to £500m.

A bigger stadium and £100m cashback. Not bad. Earl's Court though :eh:

Professor Nutmeg said:
Some actual Chelsea news, for a change. From the BBC website

A bigger stadium and £100m cashback. Not bad. Earl's Court though :eh:

You'll need to build a stadium as well though and incur lots of costs for clearing that site so I don't think the £100 million would last too long.

Yup, I bet it will costa at least double of that. The stadium only that is! Not counting whatever he puts in the surroundings.

EDIT: thx for clearing that up Prof.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:

I think thats a no go, but some intresting news ive read is that his World Cup place is under threat to none other than Tricky Trevor Sinclair now that would be hard to take for the lad!

Back
Top Bottom