Chelsea Thread

Yes, he suits better in Chelsea's type of football. When I mentioned Guardiola my intention was to refer their offensive-minded character. About the game, they are different. While Pep uses the so called "tiki-taka" football, André prefers a fast and strong style, quick moves from defense to attack.
Thank you for explaining.

Mind if I post your analysis on a Chelsea forum? I'm sure people would be interested.

great post Andrè. brilliant read. really appreciate that my friend. :))
and btw, i finally got a proper name to call u by (unless u prefere "the special one" of course). not that i have anything against your nick, but it feels kinda weird to call someone "hey special" :D
Tell me about it... :DOH:
I want to have a go too..
for me it's not about the job. i love my job and i wouldn't really want to be a coach. sure there's a lot of money to be made (if u're good enough), but i'd hate to hear ignorant fans, journalists and club owners second guessing me on my decisions :P
it's the age factor that kinda creeps me out. i still see myself as a 25ish kinda guy (and my mental age is even below 20 :DD ), so it strikes me to think that a guy who is just 3 years older than me is a professional coach.
i mean i just got used to the idea that a player who has my same age isn't exactly a youngster anymore, and now i'm already in "coaching age"?!?
gerd said:
Don't worry Ben, he' s 16 years younger than me..how should i feel? Useless?
You'll get used to things like that.
i know... and that's what scares me the most :P i guess i'm having an early middle-age crisis at 31. LOL!

Last edited:
Glad that you enjoyed my post Ben. It hasn't the quality of your posts but I tried to do the best I could. :P

André suits better I think. "Hey Ben", "Hey André", both sounds good. :D

Oh, and btw, you may not be a football coach but I'm pretty sure that you are superb at your job. :)

Hahah I know what you mean Ben. I'm 25 and I'm starting to have that! :D Lol

And I gotta say this AvB guy, I mean it's not just that he's 33 so some of the players are even older than him but it's that he's on TOP of the world at 33!! He's coaching Porto and Chelsea and winning titles at this age! It'd be one thing if you were 33 and just starting your coaching career as an amateur and have to work your way up. But he's got such a head-start on everyone else lol.

I gotta look at this whole biography again (I know he was a scout for Chelsea under Mourinho? How did he get that job!?! lol) see when he started, where exactly he started, what positions he took to get to this place and how, because I don't mind giving this a go. I think I certainly have the brains and the management skills for it :P, it's just a matter of actually pursuing it and going after your dream! Something you won't get if you obviously never even try. He did and look where he is! Good for him!! I got mad respect for this guy!

Sina, one advice: play a LOT of FM! Yea, this is true, André Villas-Boas has publicly admited that he's an highly FM (CM that time) addict. I not kidding!

Then you have to be lucky and get the right connections. At the age of 16, he lived in the same apartment block as the English Bobby Robson, who was managing FC Porto at the time (note that his family is rich so they lived in that apartment block). André, as a young Porto fan, one day decide to discuss with Robson about his tactics (the kid got balls to do that!) Robson, surprised by Andre's football knowledge, appointed him as Porto's scout. A year later, under Robson's orders, André moved to Scotland where achieved his UEFA C coaching licence (the guy was already fluent at English that time).

Then he then had a short coaching experience at the British Virgin Islands national team in 2002 I guess. This stint went bad as he only managed the team in 2 games losing both.

The rest of the story you already know. Entered FC Porto scout department over again under Mourinho's management, then move to Chelsea and finally Inter. Oh, almost missed that one, he met Mourinho at Porto when Robson was in charge so they become close.

Two years ago he decided it was to time to walk alone. We took of advantage on the fact that every Portuguese team are looking to the next Special One so here comes Académica de Coimbra invitation. He did well albeit not great. When he took control of the "Estudantes" (Académicas' nickname, in English "the Students"; on a side note, the most known Portuguese University is in Coimbra so they call the local team "the Students") they were bottom of the table but in the end they finished 11th. In the meantime he got an offer from Sporting but apparently Académica turned it down. It's said that Villas-Boas had already known that Porto was interested in him by the way.

Last year, André was appointed as new Porto's coach and, well, don't need to say more, you've see what happened.

In a nutshell, yes, you gotta pursuit your dreams but it's also important to have the right connections and a bit of luck.

Yeah definitely bro. You NEED luck and you definitely need to have the right connections. Like they say, often it's not even what you know but who you know. ;)

I'm highly addicted to FM bro and I'm as good as it gets in it! :D
I love the game and that's no surprise considering how detail oriented I am and like to take care of every little thing and FM allows you to.

Yeah this guy definitely had some luck meeting the right connections like Robson and Mourinho at right times. Otherwise no matter how talented, like many others, there's no way he'd be where he is at 33.

Living in Canada makes things a lot harder of course. Maybe I'll move to Europe and live there in the future.

Anyway, thanks for all the info and best of luck to AvB! This guy makes us dream! And I love the fact that he admitted he's a huge FM (Formerly CM) fan! :D

Modric looks 1 foot in I bet Terry ,Essien and Lampard might be out too them 2 players have too much power. The new boss will be best to rid them out.

It is no surprise. Many of the managers, coaches, scouts, etc use FM (CM) and sometimes PES ML. It actually helps them a lot. Much easier to search for a player with a huge database and stats. Some won't admit it though as they think they'd be laughed at using a game as a guide somewhat.

It is no surprise. Many of the managers, coaches, scouts, etc use FM (CM) and sometimes PES ML. It actually helps them a lot. Much easier to search for a player with a huge database and stats. Some won't admit it though as they think they'd be laughed at using a game as a guide somewhat.

FM i would understand, but PES ML, come on...

PES can be a great database if they have accurate stats as they tackle every part of the player, but the stats are just awful by the developers.

That seems like a life time ago buddy. ;)

Lol that sack countdown thing is funny! :LOL: I hope he's given enough time if he gets off to a bad start to work his magic and turn this team into the great team it can be playing beautiful football.

I think he'll be a success personally but is that enough for Roman? unless he can deliver Barcelona-esque football with the Champions League anything can happen.

True. I can see him turning Chelsea into a really entertaining team to watch and get domestic success as well but still fail in the CL in latter stages at least in the first couple years. Whether he'll still remain for the 3rd we'll see....

I would love having another club playing football the proper way ,even though not really the successful way in the PL .

I have a bdad feeling about this transfer. I have no doubt about the manager.
I have more doubts about the players. The core of the Chelsea team is getting older. I wonder how players like Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Cech, Cole and Anelka will react to Villas Boas. I hope i'm wrong (really, because i like both Chelsea and their new manager) but i see a second Scolari scenario...

Gerd its really only Lampard that needs replacing from that lot. Cole is still as good as any LB in the world, Cech is young for a keeper and the rest are being replaced and phased out already.

Their midfield became too much brute, its the reason a not very physical midfield of Carrick and Giggs ran rings around them, adding a Modric would balance their midfield brilliantly. They've just had a bid for Neymar accepted also which would be perfect with him coming of the left ala Ronaldo and adding the magic, spark to the side. If they pull of those types of deals they'll be set for a while IMO.

Younggun, i think you misunderstood me.
I think there is nothing wrong with those players as players (not even with Lampard, although personally i have my doubts about Terry).
But sometimes players who think they are bigger than club can become a nuisance. Villas Boas being young might suffer from those players, they can challenge his authority. When somebody is a while at the same job, one does not like change...it seems as if Villas Boas is a coach that will change things (i.e. more offensive football). I have a funny feeling that he will have troubles with the players.

Well whoever has problems with him and challenges his authority in trying to change the philosophy or playing style of the club should be gotten rid of and I'm sure he'll do that.

I know what you mean about players like Drogba challenging a rookie coach (let's face it AvB is still very much a rookie) who is the same AGE, so I see your point. But of course, if he's not man enough to then tell Didier to shut it and pack his bags and be sold back to Marseille or something then he's obviously not the right manager for Chelsea. Probably he is though, and he knew about potential challenges like this upon taking the job, so for now I choose to remain optimistic about his abilities and authority and see how he does. :)

But you're right, that could potentially be a problem. We'll find out soon I guess...

I don't envision any problems with Lampard by the way. He's a model professional and would never put himself above the club while some of those other names may. He'd just do his best and follow the coach's instructions.

I agree with you on Lampard PLF, but what i mean is not one particular player, but all the experienced player who form a coalition against the coach.
Maybe in that instance a player like Lampard might join that coalition.
I hope i'm wrong though.

I would love having another club playing football the proper way ,even though not really the successful way in the PL .
to be fair ancelotti's chelsea was quite an attractive team to watch for 1 season and a half..... until that terrible collective form drop.
at the end of the day, the only thing that matters if u wanna mantain your job at stanford bridge is champions league. abramovich seems to be obsessed with it.
PLF said:
I gotta look at this whole biography again (I know he was a scout for Chelsea under Mourinho? How did he get that job!?! lol) see when he started, where exactly he started, what positions he took to get to this place and how, because I don't mind giving this a go. I think I certainly have the brains and the management skills for it , it's just a matter of actually pursuing it and going after your dream!
i say go for it bro!! and if they ask u about your past professional experiences, u can always say "actually i haven't really any experience as a professional football coach..... but i've played FM... a lot!"
i've already got the perfect nickname for you (mourinho style)... "the persian one" :COOL:

u even already got your 3 letters sig (just like AVB)..... PLF :P
btw man, what does PLF stand for? i always wanted to ask u this question. i got my money on "Persians Love Foxies", but i'm not quite sure yet :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom