Chelsea Thread

Chelsea have IMO a good right to feel robbed but Barcelona showed great heart and courage to keep going and get that goal. Disgrace at the end though by Chelsea no doubt.

Please, let's be serious at least once in life. Take off the red glasses. First of all, I don't understand some of you when say "Thanks Barça! It was the victory of football". Football is only about to play beautiful? And what about the tactics? Or the genius of the coaches? Maybe many of those guys are the same 5 years ago when Greece beat Portugal said amazing things about Rehhagel and his boys.
Secondly, Chelsea played Catenaccio tonight? Hum, I don't think so. If you see, the best chances to score were made by the blues. Ok first match was totally Catenaccio but today not.
Finally, the ref. Clearly in Barça's favour. It's sad to me to see some of you only talk about Abidal's red card. And the pens? Do they count? Ok...

Barça played good football in aspect of entertainment I must admit. Anyway it's hard to a blue fan accept the defeat in that way.

Come on Blues! Heads up! We still have a trophy to win!
clearly in barca's favour? so he did them a favour by sending one of there key players off for nothing?

What about that foul outside the box when messi was clearly taken down in the 2nd half and wasnt given?

Your rightm football is about tactics but at the end of the day, its easy to defend with 10 man behind the ball then it is to carve up and open up a defense in style. Also, football is a sport, and a sport is a game and so people watch games for entertainment so you must understand why many if not all neutral fans where rooting for barca to go through.

A team like chelsea shouldnt be so defensive minded imo as there supose to be a big/top side. when a team plays 10 man behind the ball, there attitude or managers attitude has already admited that there team is not good enough to play againts there opponents.

Watch United play in the final. they wont have 10 man behind the ball. why? because they know they are as god as barca

I don't get the argument - last night Chelsea were more attacking. They had more shots on target, looked more threatening and definitely created the better passing. Barcelona had 1 shot on target in 90 minutes. 1!!!!

As for the pens, it's not as cut and dry as sky/redknapp want to make it out:

1. Molouda - For me the ref got this 100% right. Alves committed the foul outside the box, then the two of them went into the box, Moulda ran into Alves who at that point no longer was holding him, and fell down. Definite free kick, definitely oustide.

2. Drogba - Could have been given, but marginal. Defender did give the shirt a quick tuck, but Drogba took another full, balanced step before deciding it was time to go down, coincidentally at the moment he realised Valdes was going to get to hsi poor touch first. Any leg/ankle contact happened while he was on his way to ground. Plus, he's 91kg of solid muscle, should a quick tug at the shirt cause him to be so affected?

3. Pique - 100% penalty. You can't have ball to hand claims here because his hand is in an unnatural position, and has prevented the Chelsea advantage. It's unlucky cause he wasn't trying to block it (it deflected into him really) but it's a penalty. A bit like John Terry at Fulham a few years back when he blocked a shot with both arms raised above his head. I expect Chelsea to be equally pissed off about that injustice.

4. Ballack/Eto'o - Would have been harsh imo. From the distance and speed, it could have just as easily hit his upper back/shoulder. Only on slow mo viewing can you see that it does catch just past his shoulder. Eto'o couldn't even see the shot, just turned in the way an attacker does defending. Have seen them given, but not a 'stonewall'.

5. Abidal - I kind of thought it was a red actually, though really harsh. For me Anelka is through, gets tugged back and that causes him to kick his own heels out. Still, would have liked a yellow, because I think that the other defender would have made it over.

Chelsea were unlucky, but the way the behaved after the game makes me very glad they lost. Drogba is a joke of an athlete - single-handedly represents all that is wrong with the modern game. I hope he gets suspended and serves it somewhere else.

And the Ballack thing was hilarious. At lesat he won't have to lose another final...

I think Drogba will be off this summer, can definately see him moving on. Good riddance as well in my opinion :)

Malouda was not a pen. He done the Cryuff turn outside the area and went down inside.

Drogba shirt was pulled but he went down 2 seconds after it was released. His reputation as a diver sealed it. Had it been say Lampard, he might given it.

Pique was a definate penalty, only because it prevented Anelka from scoring but it was ball to hand, replays do not show the pace of the ball, its impossible for him to react.

Abidal= no red card cause there was no contact.

Ballack/Eto'o = no penalty, he had his back turned and the ball clearly hit his armpits, so it would have been harsh.

RESPECT to Hiddink, Lampard and the other Chelsea players who shook hands and swapped shirts. Ballack and Drogba were a Disgrace.

Over both legs, The best football team one. 70% possesion and 30min with 10 men away at the Bridge and TWO of thier influential players missing others playing out of position and 1 shot on target, but obviously that was all that was needed. Barca are capable of anything.

Had Drogba stopped diving there wouldn't have been 4min of injury time. And had he scored at nou camp and taken that chance Chelsea would be through. Drogba is a 1 in 3 man. He made more misrakes than the Ref.

Malouda was not a pen. He done the Cryuff turn outside the area and went down inside.

Drogba shirt was pulled but he went down 2 seconds after it was released. His reputation as a diver sealed it. Had it been say Lampard, he might given it.

Pique was a definate penalty, only because it prevented Anelka from scoring but it was ball to hand, replays do not show the pace of the ball, its impossible for him to react.

Abidal= no red card cause there was no contact.

Ballack/Eto'o = no penalty, he had his back turned and the ball clearly hit his armpits, so it would have been harsh.

RESPECT to Hiddink, Lampard and the other Chelsea players who shook hands and swapped shirts. Ballack and Drogba were a Disgrace.

Over both legs, The best football team one. 70% possesion and 30min with 10 men away at the Bridge and TWO of thier influential players missing others playing out of position and 1 shot on target, but obviously that was all that was needed. Barca are capable of anything.

Had Drogba stopped diving there wouldn't have been 4min of injury time. And had he scored at nou camp and taken that chance Chelsea would be through. Drogba is a 1 in 3 man. He made more misrakes than the Ref.
I have posted a similar thing in this thread.

the ref got most decisions right

Looks like Uefa got the final they wanted...

Meh, gutted. I put my house on Barcelona scoring in injury time and i wasn't wrong. You have to kill the game off lads! When will you learn. The ref though, i thought was perhaps not up to it.
At least if Barca win, we'll have lost to the winners. They'll be without both first choice full backs though, Alves and Abidal.

Anyway, when Scolari left, the season was written off, imo and i said the FA cup was our best chance and still is. Guus did pretty well with our squad, considering. Chelsea now need to secure a new manager at the end of this season and instantly reshuffle the squad. Get rid of the likes of Ballack, Malouda, even Terry etc and give the new boss 4 to 5 years to build a side that will challenge and win. Personally i think Guus is the right chap, but it won't happen. Maybe a few years down the road.

See you all (Liverpool, Barcelona) again next year...

Get rid of Terry?! You're not miles away from winning the league mate, I don't think you need to rebuild your team or anything.

Get rid of Terry?! You're not miles away from winning the league mate, I don't think you need to rebuild your team or anything.

If someone like City are prepared to offer £20M for Terry, they can have him. His better days are past him.

The squad does need a reshuffle imo too. It needs to be revitalized. Certain positions can be improved upon for sure. Ballack could pick up his paycheck for doing nothing, elsewhere. Cech could do with a bit of competition, instead of being picked by default. The bumbling Malouda could be replaced by someone more dangerous and creative. An industrious striker that chases every ball, could be brought in. The hungry fringe players could step up (Mancienne, Di Santo, Stoch etc).

To run out next season with the same squad would be hopeless.

Chelsea only have themselves to blame. They are at home and allow Barcelona 71% possession?! :SHOCK: Whenever a team has that much possession they're always going to be a danger.

The worst decision of the night was against Barca and that red card. Also the worst thing of the whole night was Drogbas diving! So I can't see how they can feel hard done by? Maybe if Drogba stayed on his feet more often and didn't try and cheat alot of the time, penalty decisions might go in his favour? until then, everybody knows what he is like, so if they have a doubt they will favour the defender. I think that is right.

Giving that last handball in the box would have been extremeley harsh and I think it was correct that it wasn't given.

I know it has been said before, but some of chelsea players reaction after the game was atrocious!!! really bad! Drogba jsut showed what type of person he really is.

Unlucky in some ways but Drogbod should have scored the sitter and it would have killed the game, his diving and play acting was embarrassing as always. I'm sure players like that have a code with the trainer to let them know if it's real or playtime...

Come one Bobbybox, you are exagerating.

First of all: i wanted Barcelona to go to the final.

The Malouda "penalty" was outside the box.
The second you could argue, but i would give the penalty.
The one were Pique touched the ball with his hand: if there ever was a penalty, that was one...
I would even have given the one at the end with Eto'o. He made a movement with his arm and his arm wasn't besides his body...

The red card: not sure about that...BUT Yaya Touré should have gotten a red card for a foul that started 15 metres outside the box and ended with a correct tackle in the box (i don't remember who the Chelsea player involved was).

About Drogba: he's a cunt and should be punished for what he did.

It's always easy to blame the ref, Drogba could have ended the game after that beautifull pass from Anelka, but he failed before Valdes...

This match proves that maybe it would be a good idea to have two refs on the pitch. In te end (and due to circumstances) the ref was not up to it all alone...

I did not like the way Chelsea played in Barcelona (but they ar e perfectly entitled to do that, Man Utd did exactly the same thing last year). But yesterday they were playing positive (counter)-attacking football even if Barcelona had almost 70% possession.

In the end, although i like Chelsea, i'm glad the best team of Europe is in the final...we will see an attrocious final and Man Utd will win...

Last edited:
drogba_dive.jpg

:LMAO:

I like the two ref idea, but what would happen if they really disagreed ;) Flip a coin? Ask the 4th official? And who blows the whistle? One in each half?

Just tricky. Refereeing is part of the game. Sucks, but there you go :(

I think that Ronaldo is much, much, much worse than Drogba.
He's the most dislikeable (is that English ??) player i can remember...surely there must be worse than him, but i just can't remember.

I think that Ronaldo is much, much, much worse than Drogba.
He's the most dislikeable (is that English ??) player i can remember...surely there must be worse than him, but i just can't remember.

Drogba is definately up there with Ronaldo in annoyance stakes I think.

The central defender also condemned the decision to select Ovrebo for such a high-profile tie.

"We get a referee who has officiated in 10 Champions League games in his career. For me, for him to be given a semi-final at Stamford Bridge, that's not good enough," Terry told BBC Radio 5 Live.

In fact, the match official has been in charge of 28 Champions League games since 1999

:LMAO: Terry = :FAIL:

Last edited by a moderator:
And how did Ballack didn't end up in UEFA's lap over what he did to the ref? Absolutely stupidity at it's highest, hounding the ref like a dog. God I hope all of the world know what a footballer he is.

Back
Top Bottom