Chelsea Thread

That's largely what my opinion is based on, but quite a few quality strikers have been made to look bad by our defence in recent times. Really it should be based on what he does against crap defences and that hat-trick against Russia put's him in the frame - but he just doesn't float my boat.

Well, it depends on what Scolari wants him team to be. If he does add Deco, or another creative midfielder, like Van der Vaart, who can put the ball behind defenses, then, really, there arn't that many better strikers to latch onto those balls and score than David Villa. But, David Villa is absolutely awesome. And yeah, he absolutely destroys weaker defenses in La Liga. His record speaks for itself.

It'll be interesting to see what type of team Scolari puts. If Drogba leaves, then the team will mainly be dependent on the striker he gets.

Looks like we're not interested. Thought we'd have been in there faster than a dog with two dicks....:((

Zenit St Petersburg have confirmed Barcelona have made a formal approach for Russia midfielder Andrei Arshavin. (Setanta Sports, 1006 BST)

Why do I get the feeling Sinclair would end up rotting his talent away on your bench?

I've no idea, seeing as he hasn't spent anytime rotting on our bench so far.

He's always out on loan (as are all our youth prospects). Looks like he will be at Palace again next year too, so worry not! ;-)

Suprised you lot still being quite in the market. i think its all going to kick of once the Euro's our offically finished.

I suppose a lot depends on what Lampard does, and Luis hasn't technically started yet so I guess it won't be until July that we see things happen.

Quiet all over Europe though - the calm before the storm!

Terry and Prof and other Chelsea fans,

Aren't you a litle bit worried about Scolari???
With Portugal he has been 4 years at the helm of one of the most talented bunch of players and yet he hasn't won anything...

:SS Well that was a curious passage of posts....

Anyway.... no I'm not worried. Portugal, when Ronaldo doesn't turn up, aren't very good, doesn't matter who the manager is. No strike force, a so-so midfield, and a dodgy defence. If Cristiano Ronaldo did not exist, would we have been talking about Portugal as one of the favourites? I doubt it.

He'll be fine Gerd. :bluescarf:

New Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has written to the Blues players who were not involved in Euro 2008 telling them to cut short their holidays - because he is starting work a week early. (Daily Mirror)

:LOL:

Former Chelsea boss Avram Grant has revealed the Blues are tracking Russia midfielder Yuri Zhirkov. (Daily Star)

This guy has caught my eye, but not sure how he would fit in.

In last night's game, i'm sure i heard the commentator say Zhirkov had mentioned at the end of a pre-match interview, that he would be joining Man Utd (in a completely out of the blue way).

Any ideas how FS is going to shape the team? Do you think there'll be anyone who won't fit into his plans, who has previously featured in the side?

I imagine we'll play a 4-1-3-2 or 4-1-4-1. It depends what he has in mind for Drogba, the indication is that FS wants him to stay, so does he get a playmate or continue to play up on his own?

Maka will probably be eased out and Mikel will take his place as the months go on and I can't see much of a wide role for Joe Cole, hopefully he can come back inside and prove effective there.

Chelsea manager Luis Felipe Scolari cuts short player's holidays

By Emily Benammar

"Chelsea manager Luis Felipe Scolari has cracked the whip ordering his players to return for pre-season training a week earlier than planned cutting short their holidays. All players bar those who have been involved with Euro 2008 have been told to report to Stamford Bridge on Monday July 7.Scolari only finished his involvement with Portugal last week after Germany knocked them out in the quarter-final stages, but it seems he is keen to get started in his new role. Originally Chelsea's pre-season was going to start later than their rivals, mainly for the reason that Scolari's appointment came so late on. However it seems that following a short break Scolari is ready to begin preparing for the next campaign. Frank Arnesen, Chelsea's chief scout and director of youth development had his scouting team strengthened by the hiring of Piet de Visser. The Dutchman, who previously advised Roman Abramovich informally on who to watch in the transfer market will be responsible for identifying young talent in South America and Africa. He was also reported to have been influential on Chelsea's signing of John Obi Mikel and Salomon Kalou.

De Visser's move comes following irreconcilable differences with his last club PSV Eindhoven. During the few years he worked with PSV the 73-year-old took 22 players to the club including his most successful trio Romário, Ronaldo and Alex.Arnesen will no doubt welcome the appointment, the Dutchman has failed to produce a single player for the first team in three years."

[-X As usual with the Press, an uninformed, yet snidey remark at the end of the article. Watching the youth team last season, I think Arensen is doing a great job. If I'm not mistaken, he hasn't signed anyone older than 16 anyway, so little wonder.

Last edited:
Yep that Russian was the LB wasnt he wearing number 18, seemed like a attack minded full back and played well, maybe he's on his way to us :)

You have Evra and we have Cole at LB so it doesn't appear to make a great deal of sense for either of us. Maybe he'd play more in midfield, but he's not a classic winger.

Seems like left wing, dunno but seems very Giggs like to me from the clips ive seen but obviously i cant judge him on that

Back
Top Bottom