Chelsea Thread

Midfield of Essien sitting behind Ballack and Deco...eeeeep!

I still think he's a media disaster waiting to happen, but you can't question his ability to handle egos, and perhaps more importantly, to win. As a plus, his teams tend to play good football, so that'll be a change at the Bridge... :p

Interesting timing though.

Hmm reading what others have said and from people who know him, he will be a player motivator and have little to do with the rest of the things at the club, sounds more head coach than manager. So the lack of control wont bother him...

Seems like a good fit to be honest. I think the club will be looking for him to be the the helm for probably the next 4-6 years. Let's hope it works out for him and Roman.

The youth system is purring at the moment so he has no need to involve himself with it other than picking players to come into the first team.

He's got a very short time to assess what he has, and what he needs to bring in before August but assuming Bosingwa was down to him, they may already have started the process some time ago.

Just heard an interview with Big Phil from 2006. His English was fine then, so I imagine it can only have got better since.

He's got a very short time to assess what he has, and what he needs to bring in before August but assuming Bosingwa was down to him, they may already have started the process some time ago.

Well, it seems he's a big fan of John Terry. So the back four will be the Portugal back four with Terry instead of Pepe. Although i think Bridge/Cole is likely to take up the LB berth.

Lamps out to Inter perhaps? Deco in? I understand Scolari doesn't like 'stars' rather like Jose doesn't. Instead he likes players he can trust.

Up front, who knows...

The only place Lampard isn't rated is in England. I'm sure Big Phil will try his best to keep him. Would he want Drogba though? The amount of time Kenyon has spent in Milan would suggest not.

I think the big questions are over wingers and strikers. The rest of the side doesn't need much tinkering.

The only place Lampard isn't rated is in England. I'm sure Big Phil will try his best to keep him. Would he want Drogba though? The amount of time Kenyon has spent in Milan would suggest not.

I think the big questions are over wingers and strikers. The rest of the side doesn't need much tinkering.

Completely agree about Lampard,personnaly i wouldn't change Lamps for Deco(even if i hope Scolari brings Deco with him)
About Drogba i hope he leaves,that would clearly change our style ,when he plays we tend too much to play long ball,and the guy doesn't want to play for us anymore..

I dunno where you got that from, I reckon Spanish teams may rate him but definitely not Italian sides.

I dunno where you got that from, I reckon Spanish teams may rate him but definitely not Italian sides.

Did you organize a poll ???
Lampard is a very, very good player. Is it because he's the only player in your national team that has vision and passing ability that quite a few English football fans don't like him ????

About Scolari: i have a bad feeling...i hope i'm wrong (probably), but i think he will not last till Christmas (and i hope you guys will repeat this to me...because i would like Chelsea to win the Premiership or the CL or both...).

Im sorry but Vision and Passing ability? cmon no doubt Lampard is a good player but i wouldnt put those two things in his top attributes. he's good at times his runs, finishing, not that his passing is bad but its nothing special either. he's not technically gifted so he doesnt fit that bill either. the main reason he is linked with Inter is cause of their new manager. Lampard is a good player for our league cause in England Technical ability is alot down the requirement list, in Italy and Spain its more required.

If I know the way Felipão thinks - and I think I do - he wouldn't want to lose Drogba and Lampard. Those players have the profile that Scolari values the most: teamwork. And I think Ballack will perform even better under Felipão.

The Brazilian press is also linking Deco to a Chelsea move, this deal seems almost done. Theres also speculation about Kaká, but I doubt Milan would let him go.

And recently, during this Euro, Felipão has also spoken highly of Wesley Sneijder. Could it be?

Anyway, good luck with the new manager.

I can see Lampard being like Riquelme in another club - only good if the team is centered around him.

Completely agree. Even though Lampard isn't anywhere near as gifted as Riquelme.

Said it before, I think Lampard is a good but limited player. It's hard to classify him as a player. He doesn't have the ability to control a game, and doesn't put anywhere near enough defensive work to be called a central midfield. And he doesn't have the guile to be called an attacking midfielder.

He's got decent passing, but nowhere the guile of the likes of a Sneijder, or a Diego. Decent technique. But that doesn't mean he isn't an effective player in the right system. Lampard is a perfect example of a limited player, using his good qualities in system specifically set up for him by his manager, to become as effective as any other player in the world. What does Lampard have? A really good shot, and a poacher's instinct (unusual for a center midfielder). Mourinho used him perfectly by playing a big powerful forward in Drogba, and knocking the ball from him, so that Lampard could make his runs, and score goals.

I can't see Lampard doing anywhere near as well at any other place, unless the system is specifically set up for him, and that's maybe what Mourinho wants.

Said it before, if Chelsea get a creative midfielder instead of Lampard, and a pacy forward, who can reach through balls, they'd be unstoppable.

The only place Lampard isn't rated is in England.

:roll: I rest my case!

It's only been 2 weeks since we had this tedious discussion, let's not have it again.

Funny how the Press didn't know Scolari was the new manager, but they do know every player he wants to sign.....

Felipe Scolari targets Fernando Torres, Kaka, and Franck Ribery for Chelsea revolution

Luiz Felipe Scolari has been presented with a list of targets by Chelsea that features Fernando Torres, Robinho and Franck Ribéry. The Brazilian, who will take over as manager at Stamford Bridge next month, will be given an unlimited transfer budget by Roman Abramovich, the club’s owner, and has proposed signing Kaká and Deco.

Chelsea, with a well-drilled defence and outstanding central midfield players such as Michael Ballack, Frank Lampard and Michael Essien, will focus on recruiting wide players and strikers this summer, a policy that fits with Abramovich’s desire for more attacking football — although he is aware that José Mourinho, the new Inter Milan coach, has made Lampard his No 1 target. Many of the stars on Chelsea’s horizon may prove beyond their reach as they play for rivals with no need to sell, but Abramovich is confident that the sheer weight of money will convince some of them to cash in.

Torres is a case in point, with Liverpool adamant that they will not sell a striker who scored 33 goals in his first season with the club, but Chelsea hope to exploit divisions between Anfield’s warring owners, George Gillett Jr and Tom Hicks. Chelsea have been told that one of the Americans is willing to let Torres go for the right price and are planning to test Liverpool’s resolve with a bid. Kaká falls into the same category because AC Milan have stated that the Brazil forward is not for sale at any price, but Chelsea are hoping to use Didier Drogba and Andriy Shevchenko as pawns to push the transfer through. Chelsea have rejected bids from Milan for both strikers and they hope that Scolari’s relationship with a player he took to his first World Cup finals at the age of 20, in 2002, will convince him to leave the San Siro.

Bayern Munich are similarly reluctant to sell Ribéry, but Robinho and Deco should be far easier to acquire from Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively. Scolari has wasted no time in assembling his backroom staff and is planning to bring two of his Portugal colleagues, Flávio Teixeira and Darlan Schneider, to Stamford Bridge.

Teixeira has worked as Scolari’s assistant since the Brazilian took his first job, at Centro Sportivo Alagoano, in 1982 and is regarded as his eyes and ears, while Schneider, the nephew of Scolari’s wife, Olga, was recruited as a fitness coach when he took the job as Portugal coach in 2003. Scolari has gone out of his way to praise his squad’s sharpness at Euro 2008, which he attributes to Schneider.

Chelsea hope that Steve Clarke will remain at the club as a second assistant, in a similar set-up to that under Mourinho, while they also want to retain Christophe Lollichon as goalkeeping coach.

Scolari’s appointment has been welcomed by Chelsea’s players, but not by Sir Alex Ferguson. The Manchester United manager has privately expressed anger that the Brazilian has been advising Cristiano Ronaldo, the Portugal forward, to leave Old Trafford for Real.

Deco 'to join Scolari's Chelsea'
_44746114_deco_getty270.jpg

Barcelona midfielder Deco will join his Portugal boss Luiz Felipe Scolari at Chelsea, BBC Sport understands.

Reports in Portugal that Deco had met with Blues owner Roman Abramovich on Thursday were denied by the player in Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo. But Mike Sewell, BBC Five Live's man with the Portugal squad, said sources were tipping him to move to Chelsea. "They believe Deco will go with Scolari rather than join up with old boss Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan," he said.

Barça confirmed recently that Deco was free to talk to other teams. Scolari takes over at Stamford Bridge on 1 July after overseeing Portugal's Euro 2008 campaign. The Brazil-born star joined Barcelona from Porto in 2004 after helping the Portuguese side win the Uefa Cup, Champions League and domestic league titles under Mourinho. He won two league championships with the Catalan giants, and was part of the team that beat Arsenal in the Champions League final in Paris in 2006.

However, a series of injuries have hampered his season, and he made just 14 starts in Barcelona's La Liga campaign. Sewell added that Deco had left the Portugal camp on Thursday after being granted 24 hours' leave by Scolari. "He flew to Barcelona to sort out a person matter, believed to be the finalising of his divorce," he said.

Not sure it's up to you any more Didi....

Drogba rules out Blues exit
Striker plans to see out his contract

DidierDrogba_865453.jpg

Didier Drogba insists that he has no intention of heading for the Stamford Bridge exit this summer. The powerful Chelsea forward has been strongly linked with Milan and their city rivals Internazionale, but has reiterated his desire to remain in England. The former Marseille man has been with the Blues since 2004, establishing himself as one of Europe's deadliest front-men during his time in the Premier League. He became unsettled in London following the shock departure of Jose Mourinho in September 2007, but appears to have rediscovered his passion for the Blues. With his former mentor recently taking the hot-seat at Serie A giants Inter it had been rumoured that the Ivorian hit-man would welcome the opportunity to renew his partnership with the Portuguese coach.

However, Drogba has quashed the speculation by committing his future to his current employers. "I have a contract with Chelsea until 2010, so I am still a Chelsea player," the striker told skysports.com during a promotional campaign for his autobiography back in Ivory Coast. "Mourinho is my friend and I am happy for him because he was missing coaching. "He is a top coach but, like I said, my contract here runs until 2010."

Drogba, who was sent-off late on during the UEFA Champions League final with Manchester United for slapping Nemanja Vidic, also spoke of his disappointment at ending the 2007/08 season empty-handed. "I am really disappointed with myself (for getting sent-off)," he added. "I lost my head completely and I let the team down. I should not have reacted in that way. "I let myself down, the Chelsea fans, my homeland - but that is life. "I have now lost three finals. One Uefa Cup (with Marseille), an African Nations Cup and now the Champions League, but that is football. "Hopefully I will win the next one."

Back
Top Bottom