Chelsea Thread

lol - how much longer is this going to go on?

Revan, any confirmation in Portugal that we're after Scolari? I don't trust the UK press!

I think it is between him, Hughes and Hiddink.

The Portuguese press is putting Scolari, Hiddink (someone else but I don't remember) on the list.

It's highly likely that Scolari will leave.
One things is guaranted, if the press findout that someone from chelsea has come to see him, the deal will be off.
It happened twice in the past.
Benfica tried to get him, but the press found out, and he immediatly said he wasn't going. The same happened before the WC when you lot tried to take him to England.

This something ive posted in all the main Prem threads, what do you lot think about the FIFA rule that seems like is going to happen with a max of 5 foreign players and how will it affect your club?

Good question. First of all, I'm not sure it will affect any European club. Even if UEFA were to accept it, any club could appeal to the European courts and have it overruled. It is totally against one of the basic principles of the European Union.

I'm also not sure whether it would do any good. I do wonder why we (English Clubs) don't produce players like Frank Worthington, Peter Osgood, Stan Bowles, Denis Law or George Best anymore but I think it is mostly down to our coaching set ups rather than being stifled by foreign players.

We've got a good youth setup at Chelsea now, although some of these lads are from France and Spain. I'm not sure if they count as English for this ruling though?

So in short - no idea! I do think this rule is largely because English clubs are dominating Europe at the moment. Can't remember Blatter getting uppity when Spain and Italy were dominating. The guy is a liar and a thief so I ignore him as best I can.

hmm...getting scared & anxious on our manager issue also with Clarke linked with a role with Leicester City... scary don't want Rijkaard or SVG!!

I think we're close - Ten Cate's sacking means that whoever is in line for the job wants just their own people. They wouldn't sack Ten Cate with the managerial position in limbo. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Clarke comes back off holiday.

I'd say there are only 2 people (max) we're looking at.

The BBC posted their 3rd totally contradictory report of the week yesterday, saying we were after Ancelotti. Pretty sure that is total rubbish....

I thought he was just talking to them.

Hard hats on now too, as JM has officially taken over at Inter. He'll be coming in for a few players. I heard little Michael Essien mentioned. I hope not.

I thought he was just talking to them.

Hard hats on now too, as JM has officially taken over at Inter. He'll be coming in for a few players. I heard little Michael Essien mentioned. I hope not.

Shame it won't be SWP, Malouda or some of his other duff buys :-(

Thinking about it, I wouldn't be too upset to see Essien or Drogba go. Nice if they stay, but not a disaster if they leave. We won both our titles without either of them featuring very much. It's the likes of Duff and Robben that need replacing from my point of view.

Oh.... and a manager. :))

According to the Belgian press Hiddink is certainly not going to Chelsea, the number one on the list would be Rijkaard (a drama for Chelsea if that would be true).

Duff has been his namesake ever since he left Chelsea. He hardly set the Premier League alight at Newcastle. I think we got the best out of him. He's far too injury prone. As for Robben, he was a bit flakey though. He left because Mourinho wasn't at Real Madrid :lol:

I hope it's not Rijkaard. If the men in suits believe he's the guy who ticks all the boxes, regarding what they want from the next manager, i believe they are somewhat mistaken.

gerd, sometimes press like that makes me believe he is still firmly in the running. :)

I think it will be SGE now.

I heard all would become clear Monday, and it just so happens that SGE was released today.

If it is him, I truly hope he keeps Steve Clarke.

Not sure if posted already

550yma.jpg

ve16pi.jpg

He says hes staying:

In questo momento, però, Carlo Ancelotti si trova a colloquio con i dirigenti del Milan e, a quanto si è appreso, con l'ad Adriano Galliani, nella sede del club di via Turati. E prima di salire Ancelotti ha ribadito la sua volontà: "Nessun giallo, resto al Milan".

edit- yep, its BS.

He says there was no contact and that he's 150% staying.

Last edited:
CHELSEA STATEMENT ON MANAGER

Contrary to reports Chelsea Football Club has not reached agreement with any individual to become manager, nor have we sought permission from any organisation to talk to their manager. We are extremely happy with how our search is progressing.

:whistle:

I hope, hes a good man, and a Milan favourite. Some italian papers claim this rumor was created by betting agencies to stir up the odds and to rob people.

I hope, hes a good man, and a Milan favourite. Some italian papers claim this rumor was created by betting agencies to stir up the odds and to rob people.

Very true - he wasn't even in the frame 7 days ago and was odds on favourite by lunchtime.

I have to say I'm relieved, although I've got no idea who we're looking at now. Got to be Scolari, Hiddink or Bilic I'd imagine.

Or Steve McLaren.... :SS

Here's a new one. Luciano Spalletti. He does have Roma playing nice footy.

Chelsea have reportedly put Roma manager Luciano Spalletti top of their wanted list after missing out on Carlo Ancelotti and Mark Hughes.

Hughes is set to be named Manchester City's new manager while Ancelotti ruled out a move away from Milan on Tuesday.

Although The Blues have also been linked with the likes of Roberto Mancini and Marcello Lippi, it is another Italian who now appears to be winning the race to succeed Avram Grant according to reports in the British press.

Milan's vice-president stated last Saturday that Ancelotti and "another Italian coach" were top of Chelsea's wish list although he refused to divulge the name of the second man.

Spalletti was named Serie A Coach of the Year in 2006 while last season he helped Roma become the first ever Italian side to defeat Real Madrid in both legs of their UEFA Champions League clash.

Although 49-year-old is not the obvious candidate to replace Grant he revitalised Udinese during his three-year spell with the club while also guiding Roma to second in Serie A last season.

Chelsea would almost certainly be able to agree a compensation package with Roma who are struggling financially with parent company Italpetroli having debuts in the region of £300million.

(from Sky Sports)

Back
Top Bottom