Chelsea Thread

Nicolas Anelka has voiced his frustration at being asked to play out of position for Chelsea, while he has also admitted that he refused to take one of the first five penalties in the UEFA Champions League final.

Anelka has not been a regular starter since moving to Stamford Bridge from Bolton in the January transfer window and he has often had to play on the wing rather than in his preferred front role.

The Frenchman claims that he was led to believe he would start alongside Didier Drogba in most games, but Avram Grant has been reluctant to change his formation.

He is unhappy with his role and has demanded to be used as a striker when the new season gets underway.

"Since I have joined the club, I never played in my right position, as second centre-forward," Anelka told L'Equipe.

"I have always played on the left or the right. I have never said anything so far. I was a new man in the team, coming from Bolton. But next season it will be different, I won't be a new man anymore, I will be a Chelsea player.

"When I came here, I was told I will play in a 4-4-2 system. I didn't come to play on the right or left.

Nothing to prove

"I don't have to prove my value in the centre. We could have played together with Didier Drogba.

"But we never even worked on our partnership during training sessions."

Anelka came on in extra-time in the Champions League final before his sudden death penalty was saved by Edwin van der Sar to give victory to Manchester United.

He admits it was difficult to play a part in the shoot-out after coming on so late, adding: "I never thought I would come onto the pitch.

"I stayed sitting on the bench for 110 minutes, and then I have been asked to play after just one minute of warm-up.

"I don't know if it has ever happened in a Champions League final, with such an intensity, to play without a warm-up.

"I was asked to be among the five penalty kickers. I said 'out of the question. I came in almost as right full-back and you want me to kick a penalty?' Finally I had to go as number seven."

Skysports

And he says he is not the Sulk

What a knob!! Beletti had less than him AND took penalty number 2 and scored. So that is bollocks.

The French..........................................PFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

1211537130.gif

@ jumberto: Terry is the rock of Chelsea and I will stand by it. Carvalho is good and they form a good partnership. Terry has always given his most for the club and always coming back earlier from injury than required. Has always excelled in his defensive qualities though may not be 100% fit. Carvalho is good but as said by other members of this thread we can replace him as we have Alex, Ivanovic or by the two defenders we have in PSV. But can you replace a person who lives and breathes only of Chelsea??
Also I don't find anything un-manly about a person crying on the field after giving his best. Lots of athletes cry or show their emotion does that make them boys??
Also I don't mind Grant given another chance T Butcher Fan as long we don't get Rijkaard onto the team... Getafe Coach don't mind but he has proven himself well Grant all this long though he has been on the loosing side in 3 competitions & lost to Barnsley [which had defeated Liverpool too]... but still... wouldn't mind him given another chance!!

@ jumberto: Terry is the rock of Chelsea and I will stand by it. Carvalho is good and they form a good partnership. Terry has always given his most for the club and always coming back earlier from injury than required. Has always excelled in his defensive qualities though may not be 100% fit. Carvalho is good but as said by other members of this thread we can replace him as we have Alex, Ivanovic or by the two defenders we have in PSV. But can you replace a person who lives and breathes only of Chelsea??

:thumbup: Well said mate.

With thoughts moving on from the Champions League Final and ahead to challenges to come, chairman Bruce Buck has outlined some basic intentions. He was talking on Friday night's Live From Stamford Bridge on Chelsea TV, responding to views and questions from supporters. The summer transfer aims were discussed.

'We decided several months ago that our squad size is a few players too many,' Buck revealed. 'It is about 28 now and it should really be 22 plus three goalkeepers.
'So there is going to be some movement just to get the squad down to the size we think is optimum. In terms of other transfers generally, every year we want to tweak the squad a bit so there will be some changes but I don't expect there to be massive, wholesale changes.'

Specifically on Didier Drogba, the chairman commented:
'Didier is a superb player generally. There have been some comments reported to be made by Didier over that last year that maybe he would like to leave Chelsea. On most occasions he has said that he has been misquoted. 'Now that the season is over, we have to sit down with him and see what the story is and what his future is. He is a great player, I hope he stays, but that is a decision the club and Didier will have to make collectively. 'This year he has had some niggling injuries but we know he can change the course of a game, as he nearly did in Moscow.

'As I have said, he is a superb player but if you are a world class player, which he is, you have to avoid the silly red cards, the ones that come about over nothing - and I think Didier will be sorry that he got that red card.'

Buck responded to queries about the team management situation as well as assessing the season as a whole. 'I really can only say what Avram said on the plane yesterday (Thursday) to a bunch of journalists - which is there is no news.
'We have had a great season. In the four competitions we were in, we were runners-up in three of them.
'But we have very high expectations at Chelsea Football Club and a couple of second place finishes is just not good enough us - so although we never would have thought in September when José Mourinho left that we would be able to make it into a Champions League Final - as we did, and that is fantastic - Chelsea is here to win trophies so although it was an excellent season, we are still disappointed.'

Nice photos T.Butcher Fan :applause:

I've noticed a few digs at John Terry around here - he's a fecking brilliant defender, anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't like football.

I've noticed a few digs at John Terry around here - he's a fecking brilliant defender, anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't like football.

No doubt in his qualities on the pitch but what he did during the Tevez incident is in inexcusable, that has really put him down in my book

He is good but sometimes the "English mentality" sets in and people overrate him. There are probably 5-10 CBs better than him in the football world.

He is good but sometimes the "English mentality" sets in and people overrate him. There are probably 5-10 CBs better than him in the football world.

I agree, but he's by far the best around in England. Of course you will not agree, but the "English mentality" is overrating others too...Ferdinand for example...

As a centre half myself,I would like to clarify that I do rate John Terry.However,having said that I think he not as good as he was 2 seasons ago.At 27 now,he would be at his peak as a defender but he is playing like a 36 year old veteran.He is awfully slow now.Like I said,he lost that bit of pace he had after his back surgery.He lost his spring too and is not as intimidating at corners as he was back then.Honestly I would not pick him as a starter for England but I would,for chelsea.

I just remembered you lot got Branislav Ivanovic at the last window? What happened to him? Nemanja Vidic recommended him to Sir Alex but the transfer did not materialise.Supposedly to be a superb defender.

I agree, but he's by far the best around in England. Of course you will not agree, but the "English mentality" is overrating others too...Ferdinand for example...
And underrates others, like Carragher and Brown.

I'm massively confused now - can people see the pics or not?

There have been lot's of people coming on here slagging this player off or that player recently and it's getting boring. Fair enough if we got relegated, but we've just pushed the Mancs to the fecking wire. Give it a rest.

Also just read it. I knew it would happen but it's going to be interesting to see who his successor is.

The new coach, whoever it is, will never do as good as Grant (and it could well be that that was a fluke, more despite Grant than because of Grant). But no way wil Chelsea player a better season next season.

The new coach, whoever it is, will never do as good as Grant (and it could well be that that was a fluke, more despite Grant than because of Grant). But no way wil Chelsea player a better season next season.

i disagree...

if they can keep the spine of the team together and either...

get a manager that can utilise the squad they have...

or bankroll some serious signings..

i fully expect chelsea to be challenging next year...

Regardless, it all happened last season. Grant's gone and things are already looking up.
;)

Can't believe anyone is shocked about this - the guy was a fraud.

Whether or not this was always the plan, or they wanted to see if he could cut it as manager I have no idea, but he's gone. No idea who they have lined up (I assume that it's already tied up, and probably has been for a while) but I'll be interested to see who it is. I just hope Stevie Clarke is part of the new set up.

Whoo-Hoo!

ALMOST IS NOTHING - MOURINHO

Jose Mourinho has described Chelsea's season as "really bad" and insists the London club's campaign could only be described as great by someone with "the philosophy of a loser".

The former Chelsea boss was speaking before his successor Avram Grant was sacked, but was critical of the 52-year-old Israeli's short stint in charge at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho, when asked if the season had been a good one as depicted by Grant, told The Observer: "That depends on your philosophy of leadership.

"In my philosophy it was a very bad one because in football 'almost' means defeat and Chelsea almost won the Carling Cup, almost won the Champions League and almost won the Premier League. Almost is nothing.

"After two titles per season for the last three years there were zero titles this season, which in my philosophy means a really bad season. Maybe in the philosophy of a loser this was a great season, which I respect."

Mourinho admitted to being "very sad" at Chelsea's defeat in Moscow to Manchester United, adding that the supporters, the board and many of the players "deserve more".

However, he sounded a note of optimism, adding: "I believe that after an empty season new success will come to Chelsea. And I will always be a Chelsea supporter."

Back
Top Bottom