Champions League 2012/13

but gerrard's red was well justified. he made a reckless tackle from behind his opponent and rightly saw the second yellow.

ah ye man, you're right, i got confused with different game, i agree with all that you said man, the ref is a bit of a plonker sending off nani, if he was sent off for dangerous play how he aint give a red card for madrid keeper for punching vidic in the head? consistency is the main thing you want from referees and they aint never consistent.

i think saf is ott for not coming out to speak anyone, no matter how much you think you have been shitted on you gotta do the interview after game. this varane kid looks class, he was quality apart from when he was fucking about trying to win a goal kick and man utd scored..

Let's not forget that Arbeloa did get hurt, and that didn't brush his arm like we're saying, just saw this and it was kinda of a wake up call, maybe the ref is indeed right and it's was worthy of a red card. Just look at his ribs!

Again, from an official's point of view the effect of an incident should not have bearing on the ruling. It's unfortunate and I'm sure Arbeloa is sore today, but that should have nothing to do with the call.

As before, see John Terry getting knocked out by Eboue. Sucks, but doesn't impact the referee's decision.

There's 2 parts to the incident.

1. Where Nani goes to bring the ball down and the initial contact
2. After the initial contact.

Part 1 shows that the initial contact was an unintended byproduct of Nani trying to bring the ball down, warranting a yellow at the very worst (from Utd's point off view).
However, part 2 is where things get debatable. You can see (where the clock is showing 56:38) that Nani's leg bends and then appears to kick out at Arbeloa. This is what warrants the red card, however, it is debatable because it depends on how you interpret it. Does Nani kick out/leave his foot in or is it Arbeloa's momentum that spins Nani around and extends his leg?
Only Nani will know and him faking injury suggests a bit of stupidity on his part.
The more I see it the more I think a red card isn't all that back of a decision. However, I think refs should err on the side of caution. The ref only saw it once from one angle (unless he had assistance from the other officials) and so in the heat of the moment should have taken a chill pill, imo.

irY3AXtSsRD31.gif

From a personal standpoint, whilst I do like to feed on the tears of Utd fans, I'm disappointed by what happened as I didn't want Utd to go out - at least not in normal time. Anything to help the final PL table look a bit more respectful from a City perspective.

There's 2 parts to the incident.

1. Where Nani goes to bring the ball down and the initial contact
2. After the initial contact.

2. Is a pretty natural by product of being in that position imo. He's up in the air and suddenly gets contact he didn't see coming. I don't think he kicks as much as pushes back from the contact. It's very, very harsh to judge from literally 1/10th of a second you've seen from a single angle in super slow motion.

He certainly didn't 'kick out' in any active sense of the word. Anyway it's done now. Pretty much every pundit and commentator except one fired by United agrees. Referees agree. Marca even agrees. It was a bad call from a ref who has a history of being a Napolean-complexed, over-compensating fussy so and so.

On hindsight, I'm just saddened UEFA chose such a little sh*t to ref the match. Did you see what he sent off Andrews for above?! That ref has a history of this kind of thing, so I do wonder what UEFA were hoping for. Maybe this.

Sometimes you know what your'e going to get from a ref just by looking at them. See Mike Dean. Short. Wiry. Looks like he would have been picked on his whole life. And he referees like he's trying to compensate for years of middle school abuse from the cool football kids. Webb is, big, strong, intimidating but calm. Collina is similar.

on andrews' red, holding the opponent and shirt pulling may well be a yellow card. or not. it's up to the ref. stop making it sound like that's a black or white thing, please. he did nothing wrong there.

beach you're really going too far with the ref. nani incident is his first serious mistake on international stage as far as I remember (maybe alongside with terry's red card last year) and suddenly he became such a little shit by british media and manu supporters. as a guy said here, I wonder what you felt when the ref in your game against galatasaray denied a clear penalty in favour of manu. have you said "man this ref is such a little shit" or "meh, it's all good, I don't really care"?

this guy is not my favourite whatsoever but he always did a decent job at international level even though I'd accept that his performances in Turkey have been quite bad. as I should have said somewhere else my fav is the ref named Fırat Aydınus.

oh and btw, his name is cüneyt çakır not "the turkish ref".

2. Is a pretty natural by product of being in that position imo. He's up in the air and suddenly gets contact he didn't see coming. I don't think he kicks as much as pushes back from the contact. It's very, very harsh to judge from literally 1/10th of a second you've seen from a single angle in super slow motion.

He certainly didn't 'kick out' in any active sense of the word. Anyway it's done now. Pretty much every pundit and commentator except one fired by United agrees. Referees agree. Marca even agrees. It was a bad call from a ref who has a history of being a Napolean-complexed, over-compensating fussy so and so.

On hindsight, I'm just saddened UEFA chose such a little sh*t to ref the match. Did you see what he sent off Andrews for above?! That ref has a history of this kind of thing, so I do wonder what UEFA were hoping for. Maybe this.

Sometimes you know what your'e going to get from a ref just by looking at them. See Mike Dean. Short. Wiry. Looks like he would have been picked on his whole life. And he referees like he's trying to compensate for years of middle school abuse from the cool football kids. Webb is, big, strong, intimidating but calm. Collina is similar.

I don't think it matter what a majority think or thought at the time.
People are strange and Ii can almost guarantee that if it was Balotelli instead of Nani, plenty of people would be saying that he left a leg in on Arbeloa.
Funnily enough, this ref did send Mario off when we played Kiev a few years ago.

As for Andrews, the clip is out of context. For all we know he could have been booked for persistent fouling as much as anything else.

Anyway, like I said, I don't think it was a red card but the reaction to it is hugely overblown. Just thought I'd point out something that seems to be being overlooked.

Some good points being brought up here.

Let's not forget that Arbeloa did get hurt, and that didn't brush his arm like we're saying, just saw this and it was kinda of a wake up call, maybe the ref is indeed right and it's was worthy of a red card. Just look at his ribs!
30614857789831891705590.jpg

Referee made the wrong decision in my opinion and it should have only been a yellow but yeah that's what I've been saying too, Nani's challenge wasn't as innocent or harmless as some like to say.

This picture shouldn't affect the referee's decision but it does give a better idea of the impact of the damage and how dangerous or not it could have been.

And in the animation above, it does look like he kind of at least left his high leg there for an extra second if not kick out just a tiny bit and given the stupid Suarez-like injury feigning that Nani followed it up with leads me to think he was feeling guilty and knew he's done something wrong and could in trouble.

You often see players pretend to be injured themselves after a hefty challenge and when they know they're in hot waters...

So Juve and PSG are through...I'd like both of these teams to advance further, along with BVB. The up and coming/forgotten giants of Europe finally getting noticed again. Would do wonders for their team and respective leagues as well. Will bring forth a more entertaining European season and less focus will be put on the EPL or La Liga only.

Was far from impressed with PSG to be honest.

About the red card: i'm starting to like mr çakir. Due to his red card Man Utd fianlly concede what we all knew for a long time, but now it's official: Roy Keane is an idiot.

I think similar to the 'Galactico' 00s' the PSG team isn't really a 'team' but has enough individual quality to go all the way, especially if the luck of the draw favors them.

Do get the feeling (and I've said it from the start to be honest) its Madrid's year.

I can't really see psg go any further, they were lucky against a valencia team lacking any form, even with ibra, i still don't think there better than anyone else left in the competition. Maybe on player for player sure, but they are no team quite simply.

Both German teams (Dortmund and Munchen) seem to me the strongest units as a team.
Besides them: Juventus.

PS: what ronaldinho 23 is to Barcelona is this jihado fellow to Real Madrid. I'm getting a litle bit tired about these clowns. They should only post on fan forums.

show some respect, am not like you (and your "fellows") trying to appear "neutral" and use some beautiful hypocrite words toward other teams , and then look like an arrogant know-every-thing-in-football type..
I say what I believe in , and that's an opinion ..
you can either discuss it or don't talk ..

when I mentioned referee's bad decisions against Madrid, you should at least discuss that .. or as I said, simply ignore my post ..

and one other thing, I never attack other members here .. because I respect everyone here, when I disagree with anyone, I simply discuss his idea .. not his personnality ..

Last edited:
He has a point free speech and a right to express his views regardless how bias it is. Mutd fans were being attack for their opinions and some insulting Each other like a shark frenzy :P cheese

Last edited:
Agree, about german teams, but for the juventus, I have a little doubt about the offensive players.

same here , I think german teams are favorite , Juventus ? hmmm cants see them wining CL tho , not even PSG I think they were lucky to face Valencia last night , but when they'll get a stonger team such as bayern they will be crashed so bad !

im looking forward to Schalke 04 vs Galatasaray match , I hope Galata win and go more up , it could be interesting to see them more up in this competition.

Dortmund ticks all my boxes, underdog ✓, attractive attacking football ✓, great vocal support ✓.

I shall definitely be backing them.

bayern are clear favourites imo, conceded only 8 goals in the league is ridiculous..
barcelona are second favourite still even 2-0 down so far..

I don't support them, but I think Bayern will take it this year. They were so ruthless against Arsenal, so determined to F*** them up. I think it will be the same with every team they face this year. They were so close to winning last time, they won't let it get away again.

Juve have the best goalkeeper and best defence, which goes a long way to helping teams scrape through cup competitions.

Agreed, defensiveness is more vital then attacks. The effects causing the backs to panic and try to help in the attacks leaving them expose at the back. I alway said the worse attacking team can score if the backs are well beaten from a counter attack.

I hope Dortmund will win, i think either Bayern or Juventus.
But one never has to rule out Real Madrid.

Bebo: you're right in theory. I should not react, but imo there are limits to simplism...remember Ronaldinho 23 before the Milan-Barca match ?
Both of them hardly use any argumentation...
But you're right i should have more patience.

when is the draw for the next stage scheduled for? is it gonna be this week end?

Back
Top Bottom