Champions League 2012/13

The chant actually goes "Ese portugues..." so the translation would be "That portuguese is a...". Not implying ANY portuguese but an specific individual. And you are right that was a chant that appeared when Figo did his betrayal years ago and has been chanted to mourinho as well.

Not that I like it, as I dont like any chant insulting anyone, but there are stupids everywhere. I think today the chant was targeted to Maric and Maxi who did a lot of absurdly rude and almost violent tackles. Sadly, in Spain those kind of chants are quite popular ( I heard a lot of insulting chants against Catalans as well), but to be honest it's not usual to hear things like this, at least at the Nou Camp.

Of the 40 matches I attend every season maybe only in 2 or 3 things like this happen, Madrid being the obvious target.

Ps: I've heard "barcelona va fan culo" twice at San Siro, so I get it is something that happens now and then everywhere, like fans at bernabeu whistling the english anthem and so on. I don't sharr much the "latin" passion about the game and I hardly shout or yell at the stadium, but there's an idiot 10 meters away that spends his life insulting everyone (refs, players, even other fabs!). I eish we could erradicate this people from sports.

Last edited:
It doesnt really make sense though, both of those players are obviously not Portugese, Matic is Serbian and Maxi is from Uruguay. In fact of the team that started for Benfica last night, there was only one Portguese player Andre Gomes, in fact more Spanish players started for them - Nolito (who is ex-Barcelona) and Rodrigo (Brazilian / Spanish), the bulk of the starting team were Latin American. One other Portuguese player came on, Andre Almeida, as the last sub. But both him and Andre Gomes were very peripheral players, doing nothing of note.

Here are the possible draws for the next round:

Paris SG can play any of: Arsenal, Milan, Real Madrid, Shakhtar, Valencia, Celtic, Galatasaray, (7 of 7)
Schalke can play any of: Porto, Milan, Real Madrid, Shakhtar, Valencia, Celtic, Galatasaray, (7 of 7)
Málaga can play any of: Porto, Arsenal, Shakhtar, Celtic, Galatasaray, (5 of 7)
Dortmund can play any of: Porto, Arsenal, Milan, Shakhtar, Valencia, Celtic, Galatasaray (7 of 7)
Juventus can play any of: Porto, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Valencia, Celtic, Galatasaray, (6 of 7)
Bayern can play any of: Porto, Arsenal, Milan, Real Madrid, Shakhtar, Celtic, Galatasaray, (7 of 7)
Barcelona can play any of: Porto, Arsenal, Milan, Shakhtar, Galatasaray, (5 of 7)
Man Utd can play any of: Porto, Milan, Real Madrid, Shakhtar, Valencia, Celtic (6 of 7)

Porto can play any of: Schalke,Málaga, Dortmund, Juventus, Bayern, Barcelona, Man Utd, (7 of 7)
Arsenal can play any of: Paris SG, Málaga, Dortmund, Juventus, Bayern, Barcelona (6 of 7)
Milan can play any of: Paris SG, Schalke, Dortmund, Bayern, Barcelona, Man Utd, (6 of 7)
Real Madrid can play any of: Paris SG,Schalke, Juventus, Bayern, Man Utd (5 of 7)
Shakhtar can play any of: Paris SG, Schalke,Málaga, Dortmund, Bayern, Barcelona, Man Utd (7 of 7)
Valencia can play any of: Paris SG, Schalke, Dortmund, Juventus, Man Utd, (5 of 7)
Celtic can play any of: Paris SG, Schalke,Málaga, Dortmund, Juventus, Bayern, Man Utd, (7 of 7)
Galatasaray can play any of: Paris SG, Schalke,Málaga, Dortmund, Juventus, Bayern, Barcelona, (7 of 7)

Because of 3 Germans finishing top and 2 Spanish top and 2 Spanish second, the probabilities are slightly uneven. For instance Schalke are slightly more likely to face Madrid or Valencia, then Milan, then any of the others in that order. Arsenal are slightly more likely to face Barca, Malaga, then Juventus and then marginally less likely to face Dortmund, Bayern or Paris SG.

Last edited:
It doesnt really make sense though, both of those players are obviously not Portugese, Matic is Serbian and Maxi is from Uruguay. In fact of the team that started for Benfica last night, there was only one Portguese player Andre Gomes, in fact more Spanish players started for them - Nolito (who is ex-Barcelona) and Rodrigo (Brazilian / Spanish), the bulk of the starting team were Latin American. One other Portuguese player came on, Andre Almeida, as the last sub. But both him and Andre Gomes were very peripheral players, doing nothing of note.

It doesn't make sense as most of the chants some people will chant in a stadium. It's not what the chant means literally, I'm sure the ones chanting that yesterday didn't even care at all if the player was portuguese or form Mars, obviously.

So no-one's going to mention Samaras' dive? Yet when it happened against them with Arsenal, there was a witch hunt for poor old Eduardo. :P

So no-one's going to mention Samaras' dive? Yet when it happened against them with Arsenal, there was a witch hunt for poor old Eduardo. :P

It's that i just haven't seen it at all. Bit of a useless day in the CL...
I'm always glad when the knock-out stages begin, that is real Eropa Cup football.

Not really comparable. Eduardo dove, Samaras went down easily. If a Benfica or Cluj player had done 'a Samaras' (from what I've seen of them recently) no one would be surprised.

I hate that side of the game as much as anyone, really think that FIFA/UEFA should change a series of rules.

In the Cluj match yesterday, one of the Portuguese contingent went down when Cluj were 1-0 up, after a fair challenge from Giggs (hardly an enforcer). The ref waved play on, United did. For about another minute, until finally Cluj got the ball back, played it out and then a host of Cluj players surrounded United players yelling at them.

The ensuing melee/injury break took (I timed it) about 3 minutes. The injured player went off the pitch, came back on within 15 seconds of the restart.

So by faking an injury (he was obviously fine) he wasted at least 3 minutes of play, disrupted United's attack and there was no downside whatsoever. The ref played a TOTAL of 4 minutes added time, btw, despite their keeper also being booked for time wasting, and a series of 'injuries' in the second half.

All FIFA would have to do is say this: if you require injury treatment, you must leave the pitch for at least 5 minutes. If a player is truly injured, that is fine as it would take that long to ascertain the injury. If not, then that's your punishment for faking it.

Or they could just introduce 'stop watch' timing and fix the bloody sport. But they don't.

For me it was a penalty, soft, but a penalty.
And if there's one team that deserved a bit of luck with penalties it's Celtic, some of the decisions have been an absolute joke.

FD

Theyve had a few portuguese players recently too. Quaresma, Deco but to be fair these guys weren't playing when messi played so perhaps a lot of the fans don't remember it.

Messi substituted Deco in his Barca first team debut ;)

deco-messi-514.jpg

If , Arsenal face Barcelona... I won`t bother to even post anything about it. It won`t be anything about football just the opposite Fabregas n Song ! especially with Fabregas saying it will be a dream to smash Arsenal:COAT:

And the PL!

Haha, if things keep going like they do, soon even Friendlies will be overrated!

Now seriously: a team that has Toure, Silva, Tevez and Aguero MUST play better. Mancini should have gone by now. Yes, I know they won the title, I know, but still... I keep thinking there are lots of coaches around that could make this team work a lot better.

Now seriously: a team that has Toure, Silva, Tevez and Aguero MUST play better. Mancini should have gone by now. Yes, I know they won the title, I know, but still... I keep thinking there are lots of coaches around that could make this team work a lot better.

Completely agree.
I don't see what Mancini has with Balotelli, he has always been a liability and this season he doesn't even add anything...

Haha, if things keep going like they do, soon even Friendlies will be overrated!

I totally agree. All last season smarter pundits were asking how far ahead Ferguson would be with that squad. So much better than any other team in the league, PLUS they barely had any injuries to deal with.

If Mancini were a bit less grating it would be one thing, but he also comes across as a bit holier than thou.

Won the league with Inter when it was handed to him, won the league with City in similar (minus match fixing) situations. Won nought in Europe. Just not convinced.

If Pep or Jose is available in June, you know they'll come in, regardless of any contract he signed/payouts required.

I have a feeling that Pep will not be bothered to manage an English club.

People forget something important: the language barreer. Managers like Klopp and Guardiola were very succesfull because they also were great motivators. It depends on their language skills if they can make it outside their country.

People in Germany see Klopp as the next coach of the national team when Low stops after the 2014 WC. I also see Guardiola as the next Spanish national coach.

Yeah I can totally both of those happening.

And I can totally understand Klopp wanting to stay with BVB and then joining German National team rather than wanting to join some English team.

I think it is nailed on that Pep will be City manager next season. Can only see a PL and FA Cup double potentially scuppering it. I'd be surprised it he isn't taking English lessons on his year off.

I think it is nailed on that Pep will be City manager next season. Can only see a PL and FA Cup double potentially scuppering it. I'd be surprised it he isn't taking English lessons on his year off.

LOL

Pep is gentleman, he will never go in some artificial club because money.

The draw:

Galatasaray v FC Schalke
Celtic v Juventus
Arsenal v Bayern Munich
Shakthar Donetsk v Borussia Dortmund
AC Milan v Barcelona
Real Madrid v Manchester United
Valencia v Paris Saint-Germain
FC Porto v Malaga

Tie of the round for me is Dortmund v Shakhtar, two of the best footballing teams in Europe, both play very dynamic football, a shame one of them will be eliminated this early. Arsenal v Bayern and Real Madrid v Man Utd are also interesting matches.

Satisfied with the draw. Its not going to be easy, but it could be a lot tougher. Till then, i think Porto will close some gaps in the squad.

Back
Top Bottom