Celtic Thread

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=405932&CPID=14&clid=61&lid=25&title=Celtic+make+double+move

Would be two quality additions to Celtic squad if they could pull it off.

Won't be easy though as I'm sure they'll face competition from other teams around Europe for both players especially Tymoschuk whom in my opinion probably has better options and I'd be just a little surprised if he ends up there.

If I were him, I'd stay at Shakhtar to be honest but consider the options if a real attractive proposition comes from one of Europe's finest leagues.

Shakhtar board have apprently said they'd be willing to listen to offers for him though if the price is right, so who knows... he could be attainable.

Celtic 4-1 Kilmarnock

Who'd have thought it, eh? That'll keep the supporters off the pitch for another week.

Also have to laugh at the smartcards. There was a lot of high-horsing when Rangers' systems failed in seasons past. Now who's laughing! :lol:

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind those 2 players, but at the prices would find it very difficult.

Brilliant football today, the midfield for me is better than any that I can recall for a very long time. I don't think Lenny has to play every single game, especially at Parkhead, but he'll be vital in away games and the high profile games. Maloney still to come back. :)

FD

How many players that are linked with the Old Firm,actually end up at either of us?
Skysports just need stuff to fill there pages,and as for our Daily newspapers.... pffft

Good buy for Celtic with big Hesselink, should be what we're needing.

Not sure about Naylor, but we'll see how it goes, I guess anything's better than Telfer at right-back.

Decent CL draw too, so a good day all-round yesterday.:)

FD

I also think Heselink is the sort of player Celtic needs, could be the new Hartson for you guys...
Oh boy i hope Celtic beats Man Utd...would i have a field day then...

PS: how's your daughter????

It'll be tough, it is better than the past few groups we've been hit with i.e. Porto, Juventus, Rosenborg and B.Munich, Lyon, Anderlecht and Milan, Barcelona, Shakhtar. Although it will still be incredibly difficult, Man Utd are obviously favourites and I do feel it is possible that they can beat us home and away, Benfica will be hard opposition too and Copenhagen will be tough also to beat.

Personally I think we will have to rely on Man Utd by taking the points from the other teams and hoping we do our part.

FD

Should be 2 great games, hopefully you'll not do as well though as you did last year against British teams. :mrgreen: ;)

Beer fest should be great, over in Portugal it can be Sagres or Super Bock over in Scotland it can be Tennents...............errrrr, maybe we'll skip the beer part over here.

FD

Last edited:
Finally we get to see a competetive United v Celtic game, good luck when the time comes round Celtic. Im really looking forward to the 2 games!

If only Keane was still playing for Celtic, it would have been great. I wonder who he will be supporting ;)

Yep, should be interesting, Man Utd will be the overwhelming favourites in both games though, but you never know.

Good weekend for Celtic, big Jan bags a goal, whilst Rangers slip up again and leave us top still.

I think it's gonna be an intersting season.

FD

I'm looking forward with an evil grin for the Celtic vs. Benfica matches :). Benfica fans are dangerously (over)confident (as usual) and I don't think they quite realise that Celtic is not the easy team they think they can be. Some benfica fans know better though, but they are a minority. Overall reaction was "it's an easy group", which to me only shows total knowledge of present soccer and teams status.

On the other hand Benfica shit their pants whenever they see a shirt like Celtic's. A friend of mine which has been there says your stadium has one of the greatest athmospheres in Europe, and he has had his share of european nights (he's a sports journalist).

Mauras you look like a "The Guardian" writer, seriously we're not confident I'm sure he'll fight with Celtic the 2nd/3rd place.

P.S.: Take care with your shitty club, 'cause I gonna laught so much with Inter and Bayern München (plus with Spartak Moskow too) there for trashing Sporting. :lol:

P.S2.: About the shirt well I think you still jealous about Benfica keeps the same (31>18) we can't beat you for 1 year but with some helps from the referees we can do it too. :)

For those who don't know what I wrote, just click HERE!

SPiTFiRE said:
Mauras you look like a "The Guardian" writer, seriously we're not confident I'm sure he'll fight with Celtic the 2nd/3rd place.

eheh. No mate, even benfica players are looking too confident. Katsouranis, the own goal wizard said that after checking the group benfica has a very strong chance of going through. Sure they have a chance, but saying those things doesn't show the proper respect, and most of all doesn't show that benfica fans (and even players) know exacly the power of Man Utd and Celtic this season.

P.S.: Take care with your shitty club, 'cause I gonna laught so much with Inter and Bayern München (plus with Spartak Moskow too) there for trashing Sporting. :lol:

That will probably happen. And I think the common Sporting CP fan is prepared for that. Unlike other "used to be great" clubs we have a perfect sight of our own limitations and what makes Sporting CP away from top clubs like Inter and Bayern.

P.S2.: About the shirt well I think you still jealous about Benfica keeps the same (31>18) we can't beat you for 1 year but with some helps from the referees we can do it too. :)

1 year? Mate in the past 4 you beat us once 1-0 :). All the rest (except the cup win on penalties) you got such funny beatings that it makes eusébio blush :). The last one was such a walk in the park that it even snowed in Lisbon for the first time in 50 years :D

Mauras, i still haven't seen you around the Inter or Bayern threads... Why is that?

Don't see it's because of guys like you that Benfica was, is and will always be great? In almost all your posts in any thread in this forum you always seem to manage to mention Benfica time and time again.

And most Benfica fans simply think our group is easier than Porto's or Sporting's groups, but not easy in itself.

This would be our ideal formation:

Simao-----Nuno Gomes-----Miccoli
------------Rui Costa-----------
-------Petit----Katsouranis-----
Leo---Anderson---Luisao---Nelson
-------------Quim---------------

Can any of you Celtic fans tell me whats Celtics starting/ideal XI?

Last edited:
Depends on the status of a few players, should know in the next couple of days. Thomas Gravesen is likely to join and Stilian Petrov likely to leave, while a couple of other players could join if the reported Petrov fee is accurate (£7-8m, to Aston Villa). I would say this is our probable line-up:

----Zurawski-----V.o.Hesselink--
McGeady------------------Nakamura
-------Gravesen----Jarosik-----
Naylor---McManus---Balde---Wilson
-------------Boruc---------------

Shaun Maloney may be fit soon, and he was the POTY last season so would definitely be looking to get into the team. I would usually say in place of McGeady, but he has been excellent so far this term and won't be dropped! Our defense is weak, but I'm pretty happy with our midfield and forward line.

ClassicD said:
----Zurawski-----V.o.Hesselink--
McGeady------------------Nakamura
-------Gravesen----Jarosik-----
Naylor---McManus---Balde---Wilson
-------------Boruc---------------

forward line.

That guy still hangs on?! I probably missed something but the few times I ever watched him I wasn't very impressed (I remember talking about this with you I think) although he surely is strong.

Gravesen and Jarosik seem a pretty solid "gate", nice signings for the midfield.

AirJoca said:
Mauras, i still haven't seen you around the Inter or Bayern threads... Why is that?

Let me worry about those sharks when the time comes. No need thinking about closed issues. We are done :)

Don't see it's because of guys like you that Benfica was, is and will always be great? In almost all your posts in any thread in this forum you always seem to manage to mention Benfica time and time again.

yeah, yeah.. .blah, blah, the same old story about the european giant from the times my grandad whore shorts till his ankles...

I give you this and totally accept it: I worry about my benfica. Because due to Sporting's lame form in the past 20 years the cruel fact is that my benfica has given me much more reasons of imense joy than Sporting. So how can I avoid worrying about benfica? It's totally nonsense, instead of spending money on Sporting I should be contributing for benfica, no one makes me smile like they have in the past 15 years.

And most Benfica fans simply think our group is easier than Porto's or Sporting's groups, but not easy in itself.

Not true. I believe (and know) that reasonable fans like you, spitfile and others who know about soccer think that (which is true) but I heard many benfica fans say stupid things like "Man Utd? easy run, like last year" or "it's in the bag (tá no papo!)". I hate that arrogant atitude and in every 3 out of 5 benfica fans I always find that.

But this isn't a thread about our glorioso so let us respect the subject here, I promise to restrain myself from commenting my precious benfica ;)

Last edited:
Looks like we'll be getting Tommy G, should be an excellent signing. Will cushion the blow of losing Stan.

Heard also that Celtic may be involed in a money and swap for a midfielder from the Petrov money.

Maybe other finances might be released should Thommo re-join Villa and Lennon being linked with both Villa and Sunderland, that would be about a saving of around £2.5m+ on wages, not sure if we would get a fee tbh.

Wouldn't mind Celtic signing the likes of a Hartley, Scott Brown or Kevin Thomson. And although it's been rumoured before I wouldn't mind Celtic trying to lure Viduka back up the road, him an VOH would be a fantastic partnership.

As for our defence it does look weak, although I've always liked big Bobo although he's had his moments, but he's missed more than anyone at the back when he's not playing.

FD

fd1972uk said:
Looks like we'll be getting Tommy G, should be an excellent signing. Will cushion the blow of losing Stan.

Heard also that Celtic may be involed in a money and swap for a midfielder from the Petrov money.

Maybe other finances might be released should Thommo re-join Villa and Lennon being linked with both Villa and Sunderland, that would be about a saving of around £2.5m+ on wages, not sure if we would get a fee tbh.

Wouldn't mind Celtic signing the likes of a Hartley, Scott Brown or Kevin Thomson. And although it's been rumoured before I wouldn't mind Celtic trying to lure Viduka back up the road, him an VOH would be a fantastic partnership.

As for our defence it does look weak, although I've always liked big Bobo although he's had his moments, but he's missed more than anyone at the back when he's not playing.

FD

Bobo the Barbarian, it is a bad day when your missing Balde. I enjoy watching his style of wrestling. :p

Though he is much better than anything Strachan has signed at the back.

Last edited:
Stan is gone and there seems to be a lot of Villa fans on other forums screaming "OVERPRICED!"... :|

I personally think that they'll be very happy with the money spent come the end of the season. ;)

:mrgreen: LOL..........your shitting yourself.

I have to say I've never been so happy, Petrov going is obviously a blow, but I actually think Celtic are better than last year and Rangers actually may be worse off.

I've never been more confient of winning the league.

I was bricking myself about what our board would do, compared to DM and his JJB sale, but it's fell flat and any Rangers fan saying that they're happy with their team is full of shit.

FD

Back
Top Bottom