Celtic Thread

Well, that was shite eh?

Keane was one of the better players, although no one played well. It could have been Bratislava Mk II had Clyde taken some more chances and had more luck from the officials (Du Wei could have went and two of the goals they scored should have counted, although their opener was offside).

I hope to god this is the wake up call Strachan needs defensively. McManus and Du Wei is a new partnership but I'm not sure about McManus in general, I don't know if he's good enough. Telfer has to go, he's not good enough. Wallace is not a left-back/wingback in a million years, whether he can fit into the side elsewhere is another matter. People say Balde is shite but f**k me look at that today and tell me we didn't miss his power and pace. The only saving grace in our back line is Boruc, he's immense. We need an entire new defense bar the goalie IMO. I never thought I'd say it, but bring back Camara.

Pearson is never an outside left either, he has to play centrally to be effective at all and Maloney was better when he dropped deep - that's where his success has come from all season he's never a striker.

Got to look on the bright side here - like I say hope this is the final confirmation for Strachan that our defense needs revamping.

Oh shite, I just agreed with every single thing CD said, WTF. :shock:

Du Wei is being made a scapegoat here which is shitty. The guy was poor, but was ably assisted by 3 other diddy's. We're accommodating Paul Telfer as he refused to drop him and that's why we played Lenny and Roy in the centre of midfield, which tbh never looked like it was a great idea in the beginning. If he wants to go 4 at the back, needs 2 full-back's for that and would need to drop Lenny or Roy, I'd prefer 5 in midfield.

FD

He's pretty firmly set in his 442 stance. Even when we were 2-0 down with 20 mins to go and he brought on Majic, he pushed Pearson to left-back instead of going with 3 defensively.

One thing that's bothering me is that it already seems clear you can't play Lennon and Keane in the same midfield. Lenny is a Celtic fan, and has the backing of many folk because of this and because of where he comes from/what's happened to him, but I don't see how any of that matters if he's not doing it on the park. He doesn't offer the back 4 enough protection and he doesn't offer the front line enough support, in one game yesterday Keane already did better than him and that's not saying much. Also think it's shocking how he wasn't going around collaring folk given the way we were playing, it reminded me so much of Bratislava. Someone said to me, can you imagine Aitken or McStay just letting that happen and seemingly not being able to do anything about it? You'll probably disagree with me Frank but I think Lenny has to be dropped for Keane, they're too similar and Keane does both parts of the job better.

I'd like to see this team vs Killie:

--------------Boruc--------------
--Agathe--Du Wei--Virgo--Camara--
Nakamura--Keane--Pearson--Maloney
--------Zurawski--Beattie--------

Even though that defense is totally changed it's still pish and we need two full-backs plus a central defender. There's also no way he'll drop Telfer, bring back Agathe and Beattie probably isn't near 100% yet either but he'd still no doubt give a bit more effort than Hartson, he's a lazy shite.

Yep I agree pretty much, but still think Lenny should play with Keane in a 3-5-2 formation. Lenny has been brilliant for us this season, Clyde flooded our midfield yesterday.

In terms of your team, I would never drop BBJ. I couldn't believe as you said when he put Pearson at left-back, although then again I could believe.

Beattie isn't back for another few weeks, so I'd go for BBJ and Zurawski and stick with your team if he didn't want to change 4-4-2, but tbh as you said he'll not drop Telfer.

I still recall the day we got beat 3-1 with Rangers and he said that Telfer was outstanding, couldn't believe my ears, the guy was guilty of giving 2 goals away IMO that day and was hopeless.

The big problem for Strachan is that Celtic fans are pointing out his team's glaring deficiences at full back's and he has been the only manager who has had the varying ideas of Camara, Telfer, Beattie and Wallace as full-backs. Camara was poor at the start, but I couldn't understand how he got dropped when he did as he was coming onto a game and Bobo missing yesterday further condemned the others who are protected by the Scottish Media who like to cast Bobo as THE 'Weakest' link as the others as all Scots. Now that those 2 are missing we'll see what happens now as they can't be accused now.

FD

Frankly, I think the only reason he's still in a job is because Rangers are so pish. If they had any decent SPL form and were contesting the title Strachan would be in a similar position to John Barnes.

You are right mate. Personally I think he should be sacked. 3 embarrasement in less than 6 months, Bratislava, Pars and Clyde.

FD

I'll err on the side of caution and say he should be given this window and as such to the end of the season to sort it out. If he can't sort the defense out then he can go. He also has to stop persisting in petty feuds, like Agathe and Sutton, two players who are ten times better than their counterparts who played yesterday (Telfer and Hartson).

Ach fk it, I'm looking forward to the World Cup!

Me too mate, can't wait. Should be excellent. I'm gonna take off the 1st 2 weeks of the tournie, not sure what times the games are on, but should be fun, hopefully the 2nd game kicks off about 9 or something.

FD

fd1972uk said:
Me too mate, can't wait. Should be excellent. I'm gonna take off the 1st 2 weeks of the tournie, not sure what times the games are on, but should be fun, hopefully the 2nd game kicks off about 9 or something.

FD
are you lads going, or gonna watch on the tele

Nah mate, just watch it on the tv. Have a few beers, hopefully the weather will be nice and sit outside my back garden and watch it.

Love Summer football.

FD

moses.jpg

:mrgreen:

FD

LOL I wonder how long it would take for something to appear . Tho the boy should get a fresh start also to be fair he is young, Its not like hes the only player to come up this part of the world without commited a lowly act. Unless booting someone in the jaw while they are lying on the ground is normal??

Cloud1863 said:
Its not like hes the only player to come up this part of the world without commited a lowly act. Unless booting someone in the jaw while they are lying on the ground is normal??

I thought Alex Rae stamped on the guy from CSKA rather more than kicking him in the head. So I can see where your coming from. ;) :mrgreen:

FD

You know i was talking bout the pie eater. Thats unfair the CSKA player stuck his neck in Alex Rae's boot :P ;)

Last edited:
:mrgreen: hehe..........BBJ was only helping him up with a boot to get him to his feet, it was only Eyal Berkovic anyway. :mrgreen:

FD

Celtic linked with Kenny Miller.

Tbh, I ain't too sure about the signings we're making. Especially when things come around next year in the CL.

Wilson will be better than Telfer, that's for sure, but I'm still not convinced about him as a defender. Caldwell just doesn't do it for me, decent ball player but he needs to be able to defend. As for Kenny Miller, his 2nd touch is a slide tackle, got pace but not a lot else.

FD

We've signed Miller on a pre-contract, 3-year deal. I have no problem with him having played for Rangers in the past, I just don't rate him that highly. On the plus side we're getting him for nothing and he's only 26, we can flog him if it doesn't work out.

Got to give the guy a chance, let's not write him off six months before he actually joins eh?

Our level of signings - get used to it, MON told us himself "Life in the slow lane".

Good result yesterday.

Very comfortable I thought. Defence played really well and I thought the forwards played well too. The whole midfield where crap, although McGeady came on and made the difference.

FD

Back
Top Bottom